Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RabidChild
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
IP: Logged
icon The Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards (+12)  
The Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards

Welcome to the Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards (also known as The Deadlies)!

Has it really been ten years already? How time flies.

2013 was a pretty quiet year for the Caravel Forum. Mike and the Caravel team have been hard at work on The Second Sky, and if the Deadly Bar of Death is any indication, its release is imminent. However, in spite of all the activity going on behind the scenes, it seems like the forum has been unusually subdued lately. Nonetheless, 2013 saw the release of fifteen new holds and, after a two year drought, three new RPG level sets. Honoring those holds and level sets, as well as the architects who created them, is what the Deadlies are all about.

What follows owes a great deal to gamer_extreme_101, RoboBob3000, CuriousShyRabbit, and Trickster, all of whom put on this awards show in past years and helped to define the rules and categories. I’m not one for long-winded speeches, so let’s get right to the awards.

The fifteen categories for the Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards are:

1. Best Custom Game Element
The versatility of the GatEB and RPG scripting engines have made it possible for innovative architects to create their own custom monsters, custom protagonists, or other custom elements. This award is for a published DROD hold with an excellent implementation of a custom game element. The game element should work predictably (and without errors), it should be interesting, and it should be showcased in excellent puzzles. Holds or level sets with "custom character" scripts may be nominated.

2. Design Excellence in a Modification or Addition
This award is for a modification to, or utility for, DROD or DROD RPG. It can be a whole new room style, a clock, or a “cheat” like transparent tar. It can be a modification for any DROD engine, or anything that works specifically in conjunction with DROD, like a separate program to organize DROD data. The most professional-looking and useful modification or utility wins this award. Modifications or utilities usable with multiple holds or level sets and first made available in 2013 may be nominated.

3. Technical Design Excellence in Scripting
This award is for a published DROD hold where innovative and original scripting is a prominent feature. In contrast to the best custom game element award, where a constant script is used throughout a hold, this award is for a hold where different scripts are used in different rooms or levels, and these need not include custom characters or game elements. Scripting may be used for puzzle and/or storyline purposes. Holds or level sets with scripting may be nominated.

4. Technical Design Excellence in Layout and Aesthetics
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and this award is for a published DROD hold that has a beautiful design. The rooms and levels must be attractive, and they must work together as a whole in an interesting way. Holds eligible for this award may (or may not) include hold art, original avatars or sprites, or original image floor, pit or wall. Players can't just rush through this hold; they feel somehow compelled to stop and just admire the beautiful rooms and levels. Holds or level sets may be nominated.

5. Technical Design Excellence in Concept
This award is for a published DROD hold that is the first (or only one) of its kind. It features unique puzzles that fit together in an equally innovative way. This hold is a leader, where others are followers. A player's reaction is, "I wish I had been the one to think of this!" Holds or level sets may be nominated.

6. Creative Design Excellence in Storyline
This award is for a published DROD hold that has a detailed and engaging storyline. Characters are well-developed. The player is motivated to solve puzzles just to find out what happens next. Holds or level sets may be nominated.

7. Creative Design Excellence in Difficulty
This award is for a published DROD hold that is difficult, yet still fun. Solving these puzzles requires the player to think in new ways. While many players give up on other difficult holds, they persevere and struggle through this one, because it’s just such an amazing hold. Holds or level sets with an average vote of 7 or more "brains" (at the time of this posting) may be nominated.

8. Creative Design Excellence in Entertainment
This award is for a published DROD hold of easy to medium difficulty that is the most fun to play. Playing through this hold is the perfect way to relax on a Sunday afternoon. Holds or level sets with an average vote of 6.5 or fewer "brains" (at the time of this posting) may be nominated.

9. Most Promising DROD Hold
This award is for an excellent work in progress, which began public beta in 2013 and remained in beta through the rest of the year (private betas are not permitted, unless they also include a public board). Please consider the progress of each work only as of December 31, 2013. The hold may feature an engaging storyline, beautiful custom artwork, a terrific layout, an interesting custom monster, an innovative use of scripting, or simply the best puzzles around. Holds which are published or abandoned after December 31, 2013 are still eligible for this award. Holds first placed into public beta in 2013 and neither published nor permanently abandoned during 2013 may be nominated.

10. Most Promising DROD RPG Level Set
This award is for an excellent work in progress, which began public beta in 2013 and remained in beta through the rest of the year (private betas are not permitted, unless they also include a public board). Please consider the progress of each work only as of December 31, 2013. The level set may feature an engaging storyline, beautiful custom artwork, a terrific layout, an interesting custom monster, an innovative use of scripting, or simply the best puzzles around. Level sets which are published or abandoned after December 31, 2013 are still eligible for this award. Level sets first placed into public beta in 2013 and neither published nor permanently abandoned during 2013 may be nominated.

11. DROD Hold of the Year
This award is for the best DROD Hold published in 2013. This beautifully polished and balanced hold features an excellent overall concept, creative and fun puzzles with just the right level of challenge, great level design, an engaging story, and perhaps just the right extra goodies (such as custom artwork or voice acting) to set it apart from the rest. If only one of this year’s holds could be preserved for future generations of DRODers to enjoy, this would be it. DROD holds may be nominated.

12. DROD RPG Level Set of the Year
This award is for the best DROD RPG level set published in 2013. This terrific level set is fun to explore, aesthetically pleasing, and the player encounters a variety of unique and interesting challenges. If you could take only one RPG level set to play and play again while stranded on a desert island, this would be it. DROD RPG level sets may be nominated.

13. Best Voice Artist in a Distinct Role
This award is for excellent voice artistry in a published DROD or DROD RPG hold. Good voice artistry sounds professional and adds another dimension to the character being played. When nominating an artist, please specify both the hold or level set, and the specific role played (each role is a separate nomination). Voice artists for distinct roles in holds or level sets may be nominated.

14. Novice Architect Award
This is the Rookie of the Year award for architects. This award is for an architect whose first stand-alone hold or level set was published in 2013. Excellent puzzles, well-designed levels, and possibly other architectural virtues such as well executed scripting, engaging storyline, and/or beautiful custom artwork show promise of great things to come from this architect. Architects who published their first stand-alone (non-compilation) hold or level set in 2013 may be nominated.

15. Erik Hermansen Award for Lifetime Architectural Achievement
This award is for architects who have been creating great holds for years. To create one good hold requires creativity and skill. But to keep on creating good holds, year after year, requires special dedication and inspiration, well worthy of an award. This award is so prestigious, it can only be won once in a lifetime. Previous winners of the Erik Hermansen Award are Doom (2006), LarryMurk (2007), Jacob (2008), BoyBlue (2009), Rheb (2010), Chaco (2011), and Dischorran (2012). Architects who have not previously won this award, published their first stand-alone (non-compilation) hold or level set in 2011 or earlier, have published at least one stand-alone hold or level set in 2013, and have created at least four stand-alone holds or level sets with an average vote of 7.0 or higher "fun" (at the time of this posting) may be nominated.

Nomination Rules
A list of eligible nominees for each category will be posted in the following message. If you choose to nominate yourself, or a stand-alone hold or level set or modification or utility that you are the architect of, you must post the nomination here in public. All other nominations should be sent to RabidChild directly by PM, and shall remain private. You are permitted to nominate more than one nominee within each category. A nominee must receive at least two nominations in order to be included in the voting. When the deadline is reached, all nominees will be revealed. If a category has no nominees, it will not be included in the voting this year. If a category has only one nominee, it will still be opened for voting, in which case the nominee must receive at least one vote to win.

Deadline for Nominations: February 28th, 2014.

Click here to PM RabidChild your nominations!

Links
History of the People's Choice Awards
The First Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Tiebreaker
The Second Annual People’s Choice Awards | Voting
The Third Annual People’s Choice Awards | Voting | Final Round | Tiebreaker
The Fourth Annual People’s Choice Awards | Voting | Tiebreaker | Winners
The Fifth Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Tiebreaker | Winners
The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Tiebreaker | Winners
The Seventh Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Winners
The Eighth Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Winners
The Ninth Annual People's Choice Awards | Voting | Winners

[Last edited by RabidChild at 02-05-2014 10:31 PM]
02-01-2014 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RabidChild
icon Re: The Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards (+5)  
Here are lists of potential nominees for the Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards!

(Please PM RabidChild if anything in these lists is missing or needs to be removed. Thanks!)

Full List of Holds and Level Sets Published in 2013 (in order of publication)
Click here to view the secret text

1. Best Custom Game Element

2. Design Excellence in a Modification or Addition

3. Technical Design Excellence in Scripting

4. Technical Design Excellence in Layout and Aesthetics
All listed holds and level sets are eligible.

5. Technical Design Excellence in Concept

6. Creative Design Excellence in Storyline

7. Creative Design Excellence in Difficulty

8. Creative Design Excellence in Entertainment

9. Most Promising DROD Hold (alphabetical by current project title)

10. Most Promising DROD RPG Level Set (alphabetical by current project title)

11. DROD Hold of the Year
All listed DROD holds are eligible.

12. DROD RPG Level Set of the Year
All listed DROD RPG level sets are eligible.

13. Best Voice Artist in a Distinct Role (alphabetical by artist: nominations must include hold or level set and role)

14. Novice Architect Award

15. Erik Hermansen Award for Lifetime Architectural Achievement

Deadline for Nominations: February 28th, 2014.

Click here to PM RabidChild your nominations!

[Last edited by RabidChild at 02-05-2014 10:30 PM]
02-01-2014 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: The Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards (+2)  
Got my vote in! Lots of good holds this year, but I'm sure the Eleventh APCA will be even better! :)

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
02-01-2014 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: The Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards (0)  
I'd like KDDL4 to be considered as a DROD hold. Is that possible?

02-01-2014 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
That makes a lot of sense. What say the People?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-02-2014 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Sounds fine to me; if the Smitemasters' Selections and main DROD games were eligible for awards I figure Flash DROD should be too.

02-02-2014 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Seems reasonable. Remind us who gets the architecture credits for the various levels?

02-02-2014 at 12:33 AM
RabidChild
I was under the impression that the Deadlies were for honoring the work or "amateur" architects and that the official DROD holds weren't typically eligible. I know Smitemaster's Selections have been nominated and have won awards, but I would consider them to be primarily the work of forum members that were simply selected by Caravel and given a little extra polish whereas something like TCB or the KDDL holds are the work of the "Caravel Team." There's also the fact that KDDL4 is made up primarily of modified versions of Erik and Lucas Swineford's original DROD rooms, although I realize there's a lot of original work in there too.

That said, these are the People's Choice awards, so if the consensus is that KDDL4 should be eligible, I have no problem with including it. I'll wait a couple of days to make sure there are no objections and then I'll add it to the list.
02-02-2014 at 03:50 AM
skell
I was under the impression that the Deadlies were for honoring the work or "amateur" architects and that the official DROD holds weren't typically eligible.
Fair enough, I am not set in stone for including KDDL4.

Seems reasonable. Remind us who gets the architecture credits for the various levels?
- Tutorial level was done by skell
- The new 13th level was 98% done by Jacob, I have only added monsters to some of the rooms and, I think, did one secret room.
- Levels 14, 15 and 16 were ported by Larrymurk, I only did some visual tweaks and maybe did a secret room or two
- Mastery level was done by skell
- The original 13th level was ported by skell

02-02-2014 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 595
Although I'm probably going to get some stick for this as I haven't really been on the forums much recently, I am going to nominate my own hold for the most promising DROD hold with 'The Eigth Area'. *Hides in corner* :paperbag

I probably should finish this hold sometime soon.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 02-04-2014 06:40 PM]
02-04-2014 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
I've added KDDL4 to the list of eligible holds. skell, if you can provide a list of the cast and what parts they played, I'll add them to the voice acting category as well.
02-05-2014 at 02:50 AM
skell
RabidChild wrote:
I've added KDDL4 to the list of eligible holds. skell, if you can provide a list of the cast and what parts they played, I'll add them to the voice acting category as well.
Only new voice acting is west.logan's wife in the role of the teach in the tutorial.

02-05-2014 at 08:15 AM
RabidChild
Thanks, skell. There may be a voice acting award this year after all!

In light of these additions, if anyone would like to add to or change their nominations, they are free to do so.
02-05-2014 at 10:33 PM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 618
I'd like to nominate my hold "Darkness of the Unknown" for the most promising DROD hold.

PS: Do I have to send a PM to RabidChild too with this nomination or is this reply good enough?

02-07-2014 at 10:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Red-XIII wrote:
I'd like to nominate my hold "Darkness of the Unknown" for the most promising DROD hold.

PS: Do I have to send a PM to RabidChild too with this nomination or is this reply good enough?
Posting it here is sufficient, but you're welcome to include it when you PM me your other nominations as well.
02-07-2014 at 05:01 PM
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
Perhaps there should be a system added to the awards whereby if there isn't sufficient holds created during that year, the awards aren't run, and any holds for that year can be included in the next year the awards actually do run. Or perhaps, instead of the the whole awards, each individual one would need a certain number.
Just seems a bit odd to me to have barely more holds than awards. Lack (or complete absence) of competitors doesn't seem like a worthy reason to be awarded anything, to me...
02-07-2014 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RabidChild
Moo wrote:
Perhaps there should be a system added to the awards whereby if there isn't sufficient holds created during that year, the awards aren't run, and any holds for that year can be included in the next year the awards actually do run. Or perhaps, instead of the the whole awards, each individual one would need a certain number.
Just seems a bit odd to me to have barely more holds than awards. Lack (or complete absence) of competitors doesn't seem like a worthy reason to be awarded anything, to me...

I don't think the total number of holds this year is significantly lower than in many previous years. But I can see where the lack of competition in certain categories is an issue. I think if I do this again next year, I'll probably eliminate the custom game element category, as there have typically been only one or two holds eligible for it and the scripting award is broad enough to include custom game elements. I may drop the modification category as well, as there don't seem to be a lot of people making new mods or styles these days. That said, if there is a flood of new custom game elements and mods after TSS comes out, I may decide to keep them.

I'm not sure about carrying nominees over to the following year. I think it would get a bit confusing if we have different eligibility periods for different awards.
02-08-2014 at 03:57 PM
Moo
Rank Points: 224
Quite possibly there weren't really enough holds in previous years either...
Even the most "easy to qualify for" awards don't have that many contenders.
02-08-2014 at 06:09 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Why do we need a nomination stage rather than directly proceeding to a vote for all holds in each category, especially since there aren't that many?

02-08-2014 at 09:23 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
I'm with Jacob, if we do vote this year.
02-08-2014 at 11:35 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
If there is just a vote can there be a non-winner category. There is nothing like winning something when you had no competition. The vote would be deciding more if the category should have an award for this year.

I wish that man would stay away
02-10-2014 at 05:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
icon Re: The Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards (+1)  
Reminder: There is one week left to submit nominations.

Considering that I've only received nominations from four people so far, I'm not sure I'm going to have enough nominees to put anything to a vote. Perhaps a direct vote would be simpler, but I'm not sure there's enough interest at the moment to even make it worthwhile. Of course, it could be that everyone is just waiting until the last minute.

I'm thinking that if there is a direct vote I won't include any category that has less than, say, three eligible contenders. Also, I'll most likely put the voting on hold until after TSS comes out, when there should be more activity on the forum.
02-22-2014 at 09:38 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: The Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards (+1)  
I'm afraid I was just being lazy and assuming other people would nominate. I've sent mine in now.

02-22-2014 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
icon Re: The Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards (+5)  
Nominations are now closed.

Here are the nominations I have received, with the number of nominations for each in parentheses. According to the rules, any entry with two or more nominations will be included in the vote. (Secreted for space.)

As it currently stands, nine of the fifteen categories have one or fewer nominees (and not just the ones where only one hold/person was eligible). I don't feel right about proceeding with a vote from here, so, based on earlier feedback, I think the best thing to do is to scrap the nominations and put everything up for a direct vote. However, I'm planning to wait until after TSS comes out, so look for a poll some time in April.

If anyone objects to this plan or thinks I'm horribly mismanaging the awards, please let me know here or by PM.
03-01-2014 at 07:34 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
From what I remember last year (or maybe earlier), it was made so any entry with 1 nomination was put in the vote. It would still leave some categories pretty empty (for some of them it's probably ok to be empty).

03-02-2014 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tamsk
Rank Points: 254
RabidChild wrote:
However, I'm planning to wait until after TSS comes out, so look for a poll some time in April.
Or July, as it turns out?
06-26-2014 at 08:21 PM
RabidChild
Hah, that took ever so slightly longer than I expected, but I hope everyone has had time to play the eligible holds. I should be able to get a poll up this weekend.
06-26-2014 at 09:30 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Tenth Annual People's Choice Awards
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com