Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Domain of the Grinfidel (Beethro sets out for revenge)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.7/10 (43 votes)
σ 2.28
Author Name:Jacob
Submitted By:Jacob
Hold Name:The Domain of the Grinfidel
Theme:Beethro sets out for revenge
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:71
Number of Monsters:982
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Domain of the Grinfidel.hold (54.8 KB)
Downloaded 2533 times.
License: Other
icon The Domain of the Grinfidel  
Sequel to my last hold (Labyrinthitis) in which Beethro sets out looking for vengance.

Thanks to Abbyzzmal, Atch, stigant and Tim for their constructive comments.

(If you are looking for the original Architects' Edition version of this hold, I've attached to my next post. This is for people who don't use JtRH/TCB - 19/05/11)
04-27-2005 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
maelkann
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: The Domain of the Grinfidel (0)  
Ah, crap. I'm sorry. I rated your hold thinking it was another one. I'll try to play your hold and adjust my rating.
04-28-2005 at 05:47 PM
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741

File: The Domain of the Grinfidel.hold (30 KB)
Downloaded 66 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The Domain of the Grinfidel (+8)  
:(
(I think that about sums up my view of my rating)

Update: AE version avaiable here.

[Last edited by Jacob at 05-19-2011 08:05 PM]
04-28-2005 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Jacob wrote:
:(
(I think that about sums up my view of my rating)
Give it some time. Personally, I think this hold is fantastic. Take my high vote out of there, and we're left with two pretty crappy votes, one of which maelkann says was a mistake. So one crappy vote, and given the pretty high difficulty, I highly doubt that one voter has finished the hold. Maybe he didn't understand the multi-room puzzle nature of the hold, and thought it was full of mistakes.

Anyways, again, I absolutely love this hold so far - I'm not quite finished yet, but I can't wait to get back to it. :)

04-28-2005 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
billbuckner
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Just gave it a 9. ;)
04-28-2005 at 08:11 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: The Domain of the Grinfidel (+1)  
Click here to view the secret text

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-28-2005 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
icon Re: The Domain of the Grinfidel (+2)  
"If your hold has been tested by multiple people and you are reasonably sure it is in a final form, press the button to continue", they said. "Should be fine", I thought, "I've only added a few little secrets to my version on the architects board, I don't need them to be tested".
Now I feel very dumb.

However, this is a secret, unrequired room and therefore does not affect the playability of the hold at all. So don't let this deter you, I am confident that the rest of the hold is fine.
My version of drod is now BROKEN (I was halfway through level 21), which I am very sad about, there's no way of me retesting this room and fixing it. Oh well.

04-29-2005 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Oh, and thanks for the comments guys.

04-29-2005 at 03:01 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: The Domain of the Grinfidel (+2)  
from the holds page:

The Domain of the Grinfidel 17 1

that's name, explorers, conquerers.

har! har har! I beat it. (only 40% of secrets, though)

the combination in level 7 was amusing, some sneaky sneak thought he could sneak one past me, but beethro spots 'em all!

I'm PMing some of my questions because secret tags don't seem secret enough.

EDIT: little, yellow, different, better. now with 100% of secrets conquerated

[Edited by silver at Local Time:04-30-2005 at 05:04 AM]

04-30-2005 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Atch
Rank Points: 81
Rats, you beat me to it silver but you haven’t said what is behind the master door:

The first four levels were fairly familiar from the AE version with subtle additions of some of the new features.

My favourite level was the Sixth and I think that the spiral will become known as a classic.

JtRH features enable one to cheat on the code to get through the tar at Seventh: Entrance although I had spotted a common motif and will try to find how it fits. Ascetically it would have been more pleasing to have cleared the entrance but I couldn’t find a way not to leave a tar baby at (22, 30).

Again first-class rooms from you Jacob and I rate it 9.

[Edited by Atch at Local Time:04-30-2005 at 01:47 PM: was spoiling it for those that follow]
04-30-2005 at 10:39 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Is in intentional that the stairs in Fourth level lead back into the fourth level?
04-30-2005 at 12:21 PM
silver
Doom - did you ever beat Claythro Tower?

Atch - I did say most of those things, but they fell under the "secret tags aren't secret enough for me, I'm PMing Jacob". I especially don't think it's appropriate to post what's behind the master door.

and I didn't find the JtRH "show what the orbs do" feature very useful because there were toggles of doors I didn't know started open or closed. I actually figured out the "correct" way to determine the combination, as my PM to Jacob shows.

[Edited by silver at Local Time:04-30-2005 at 01:51 PM]

04-30-2005 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Thanks silver, that did it.

:thumbsdown

Guess who has to restore about 7 rooms back because he didn't realise to clear L6:3S1E in the beginning. It's impossible to backtrack through the golem room...

My opinion about this hold is like a rollercoaster. Sometimes I really don't like Jacob's style to make levels but sometimes there are simply fantastic rooms.

Oh, and I did L6:1S in an extremely unintentional way.
04-30-2005 at 03:15 PM
Jacob
Glad people are completing the hold and enjoying it.
As it stands I'm not able to check things in the hold that people are commenting on so I can't really answer all queries.
I'm not sure what the story is with the stairs between 4 and 5, are they broken? If so how are people completing the hold? Is it by

Well done if you found the code without using JtRH orb-reading abilities (I didn't know it was doable even with that!)
Enjoy.

04-30-2005 at 11:37 PM
silver

edit: I'm so wrong:

[Edited by silver at Local Time:04-30-2005 at 11:46 PM]

04-30-2005 at 11:38 PM
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
I think the scroll is referring to doing the loop
which you can't do since the red door never drops

nice job with scenery in this hold too ! :)
05-02-2005 at 03:26 AM
Jacob
The logic being

(Now have DROD up and running again so can go through and correct these little inconsistencies.)

05-02-2005 at 02:46 PM
Jacob
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to upgrade my hold, or how I'd go about doing it, especially with this new advanced system. Here's a version with the bugs ironed out. If you're already playing the old version, don't worry, the differences aren't major.

[Edited by Jacob at Local Time:05-05-2005 at 01:25 PM: See below]

05-02-2005 at 05:38 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Yes, I do believe level 6, 1 south has an unintended solution.

Of course I don't have the updated hold so it might be fixed already.

05-02-2005 at 11:21 PM
schep
Rank Points: 864
Wow. I love it. The First level and the Spiral are just great.

In Seventh,

I think the confusion about the Secret Place comes from the fact

05-04-2005 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Superb hold!

Plenty of great rooms.
Plenty of great multi-room puzzles.

Suggestion/complaint:
It seemed like many times I had to restore because of the room/level layout.
I believe in some cases that is what you wanted, but I think there are times you could remove this "feature".
For example, lvl 6: 2S after you exit west you can not get back through the room. Why not put a green door with a right arrow to allow backtracking in this room?
05-04-2005 at 03:56 PM
Jacob
The unintentional solution in level 6 1S was fixed.
I only just worked out how people had been completing The Secret Place 1E unintentionally (allowing them to complete the entrance first time round and then exit, making the scrolls false). This is fixed.
Thanks for your comments, larrymurk, I'll make these rooms backtrackable.
I had also hoped though that whether a room was to be completed 1st, 2nd (or in some cases 3rd) time round the spiral could be deduced (by knowing the rooms formed spiral) and backtracking would not be necessary, but I guess it's a bit cruel to do so, and maybe not always possible to deduce.
New version coming shortly. (Of course, the original version is still playable and not vastly different). Incidentally:

05-04-2005 at 09:17 PM
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
went back and did the secret place the right way
you could just add a roach on the top track between the 2 doors to force people to go around
then add a blue door to the second room and make it not required
I don't see how else you would get around using the mimic to open the yellow door

[Edited by swann_88 at Local Time:05-05-2005 at 04:20 AM]
05-05-2005 at 04:15 AM
Jacob
This should work, unless I, again, am missing something.
Also, rooms are backtrackable in Sixth level.

05-05-2005 at 01:27 PM
BigRedCat
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
I have to say this is the most enjoyable hold I have played. Yes, I enjoyed it more than JtRH and AE themselves. Great, great job. Not a single complaint. Oh one thing though, I have 100% except for Second level where I have 88%. Can I get behind that yellow door in the entrance?
05-06-2005 at 03:14 AM
schep
Rank Points: 864
BigRedCat wrote:
Can I get behind that yellow door in the entrance?
If you have mastered the hold, you might want to look there in the editor.

05-06-2005 at 03:55 AM
Hatlore
Rank Points: 42
I'm sorry to say that I am not enjoying this hold. I am, of course, giving it a fair playthrough and intend to play through several levels before I pass final judgement.

What I've seen thus far (I admit, I've only made it to the second floor), is an extreme exercise in being petty. I never got a chance to play the original Labrynthitis, for all I know this trend of rooms you can only beat by using specific entrances is the entire point. But it's not fun.

I don't know what else to say. Being forced to kill the same roaches repeatedly is extreme. But I'll keep playing it and see if it gets better.
05-11-2005 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
I realised something bizarre about the name of this hold.
The "theme" I put in was a joke, not realising it would come up as the sub-heading for the hold on the list of holds.
Does anyone know what I am referring to?
But interestingly there is a completely unintentional connection between the "theme" and the name of the hold.
Can anyone work this out?

Hatlore, I'd be interested to hear your view on the hold now, has it changed. Of course you're entitled not to enjoy the hold, but I thought I'd made the first level so that you wouldn't really have to kill the roaches over and over: they are spaced out and you have to go through each room only a couple of times. (Conversely, I wouldn't go as far as to say the hold's better that AE/JtRH, but I'm pleased it sparked such a range of opinion).
For those interested, part III in the story of Beethro vs The Grinfidel is up in Architecture at the moment (shameless plug)

05-29-2005 at 09:55 PM
Jacob
Not too important. But just used the new hold update facility to fix all the aforementioned bugs.

06-28-2005 at 07:16 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Was Level 6 1S changed with the latest version? Upon actually reading the thread (sorry) it seems it was... There's a demo for L6 1S (Stefan, 466 moves) which I don't think is now possible to achieve, since there's no way to enter from the south without the room already complete.

Since such demos would be impossible to detect with an automatic process (they rely on something that happened previous to the current demo in order to use an alternate entrance) the only way to clear them up would be on a one by one basis, or by the architect changing a room specifically to invalidate them. Neither options seem terribly attractive...

[Last edited by StuartK at 07-01-2005 12:12 AM : of course it was...]
06-30-2005 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Domain of the Grinfidel (Beethro sets out for revenge)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com