Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro's Bad Dream (Warning: Contains mild insanity)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.2/10 (20 votes)
σ 1.94
Author Name:Jacob
Submitted By:Jacob
Hold Name:Beethro's Bad Dream
Theme:Warning: Contains mild insanity
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:20
Number of Monsters:150
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Beethros Bad Dream.hold (15.9 KB)
Downloaded 167933 times.
License: Other
icon Beethro's Bad Dream  
Some bizarre new ideas and fun with scripting.
Only 1 or 2 levels, so good for a quick diversion from some more complicated holds, or from work.
Thanks to Banjooie and Jamie for playtesting it.
Have fun.
07-28-2005 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: Beethro's Bad Dream (+2)  
Why no comments, ratings or highscores?
If you don't like it, go on, tell me! :)

08-10-2005 at 10:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: Beethro's Bad Dream (0)  
Jacob wrote:
Why no comments, ratings or highscores?
If you don't like it, go on, tell me! :)

For some reason this hold does not show up when I go to the change location screen.

Anyone know why?
08-10-2005 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
An unrated hold is not downloadable in-game. Highscores won't get uploaded either.

It's a known bug that has been present ever since CaravelNet was released, and it'll hopefully be fixed soon...

08-10-2005 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Beethro's Bad Dream (+1)  
Ok, I've mastered the hold now (and voted).

2S1W-1N1W were really nice (reminds me of Constant Room Templates) and 4S1W was a decent puzzle. I didn't really like 3S&3S1E, because you had to use the restore screen to try an another approach. Other than that it was a nice diversion, somewhat consistent with the puzzle style in the Grinfidel-series.

Click here to view the secret text

I'm assuming you didn't intend to have the stairs in 1E end the hold.

08-10-2005 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
NASA, we have a problem (I think).

I completed 1S, 2S, 3S, 3S1W, 2S1W, 1S1W, 1W, 1W1N, and I believe I'm stuck.

Entrance room has a blue door blocking me and you can not backtrack through 1S1W. :no
08-10-2005 at 09:20 PM
Atch
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81
larrymurk wrote:
I completed 1S, 2S, 3S, 3S1W, 2S1W, 1S1W, 1W, 1W1N, and I believe I'm stuck.

Entrance room has a blue door blocking me and you can not backtrack through 1S1W. :no
Yes, you do have a slight problem, there are some rooms south of 3S, 1W that need to be cleared first but repeating the journey north should be a breeze and gives you a chance to improve your score.

As for Beethro’s Bad Dream: I am a great fan of variations on a theme and for you Jacob to manage four in a row of such quality shows that you have a distinct flair for this. Most Architects run out of ideas after two or three variations – there was I think a couple of triplets in Impossible Cubes and there is of course KDD Level 6.

Other things to look out for are decoy roaches and goblins in disguise, the likes of which I don’t recall seeing in JtRH, are these part of the new toolkit? A room full of everyone’s favourite hook wielder is quite a sight, especially when they wake up – ironically they are all asleep when Beethro first meets them in his dream. It certainly affected (slowed) my computer – Beethro doesn’t manage a race for the exit so much as a staccato stumble. As for the stairs to choose in 3S: well it took me a pitiful five goes to get the right one.

If only aesthetically you might want to correct larrymurk’s problem otherwise, as Stefan said, there are the stairs in 1E that should surely go to The Nightmare (entrance 17?) rather than end hold. The procedure for hold correction (retaining all high scores) doesn’t seem to have got off the ground with only The Steps to date being successfully corrected, for me at least. If you can correct this hold then perhaps you could help with some of the others such as Deep Hold.

I have rated this hold an 8, which is perhaps overgenerous given its small size, but I found it a highly entertaining couple of hours and have awarded Jacob two mod points in appreciation.

[Last edited by Atch at 08-11-2005 04:32 PM : Following a PM I thought that it could have been considered offensive and was certainly off topic]
08-11-2005 at 12:41 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Atch wrote:
I have rated this hold an 8, which is perhaps overgenerous given its small size, but I found it a highly entertaining couple of hours and have awarded Jacob two mod points in appreciation.
Have you noticed there's a thing called Karma points in the top of this thread? It costs less mod points that way ;)

08-12-2005 at 11:29 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Hey... I like the hold, but I´m just as stuck as larrymurk was. Why, oh why do so many of your holds contain rooms that you can´t backtrack? You didn´t even give me a fair warning in this one :~(
09-16-2005 at 05:15 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I might have missed something, but I´ve found two stairs (one behind the masterwall in the first room). None of them however takes me to the second level. Are they really both supposed to end the hold, or is it some kind of bug?

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 09-16-2005 09:25 PM]
09-16-2005 at 09:22 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Yes, sorry. There are 2 bugs:
Stairs behind the master door should go to level 2.
One room is unbacktrackable

I shall update the hold at some point soon. Neither are drastic or fatal to the hold. At most you'll have to restore and some rooms. Apologies.

In general my holds do not have unbacktrackable rooms. If there are any, they are due to accident or neccessity.

09-16-2005 at 11:25 PM
cchittleborough
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
I've rated it as a 9, with difficulty 8.

Both levels are low in quantity but very high in quality. If I had been able to get to the second level without using the editor, I might have given it a 10.

Thanks again, Jacob.

10-03-2005 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Good hold so far.

One minor scripting glitch -

Also, I think I've completed all the rooms on the level including the secret rooms. The secret door in the entrance room is dropped (translucent), but I can't cross into the next room (1E).

[Last edited by stigant at 10-07-2005 02:55 PM]
10-07-2005 at 01:45 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Lotsa fun, this one! Definite weirdness. I liked the four variant rooms.

I haven't solved the 'Maze Without Walls' yet, but that's all that stands between me and Mastery of this hold.

I give it an 8 with a difficulty of 6 brains.

Thanks, Jacob!
Josh

06-05-2006 at 06:36 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro's Bad Dream (Warning: Contains mild insanity) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com