Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Doorless Hold Contest Compilation (No doors!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.0/10 (11 votes)
σ 1.71
Author Name:Hartleyhair
Submitted By:hartleyhair
Hold Name:Doorless Hold Contest Compilation
Theme:No doors!
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:9
Number of Rooms:47
Number of Monsters:458
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Doorless Hold Contest Compilation.hold (33.2 KB)
Downloaded 1120 times.
License: Other
icon Doorless Hold Contest Compilation  
This is the Compilation Hold for Chaco's Doorless Hold Contest, which was held in December 2007.
12-31-2007 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Doorless Hold Contest Compilation (+1)  
The original contest topic

This hold does a very good job of compiling the Doorless Hold entries. In particular, the hub is designed not to get in the way much, and allow all of the puzzles to originate from the entries themselves - after completing each entry, it should be trivial to kill the corresponding monster and disarm its trap.

Have fun playing each of the entries - there are many good puzzles here, proving conclusively that, like monsters, it is possible to build high-quality holds without using doors. :)

12-31-2007 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
OK, this was pretty enjoyable. I haven't managed to beat the secret room yet, but I enjoyed playing the other holds.

Specific comments:

Click here to view the secret text

As a whole, the hold is enjoyable even as a mixed bag. I give it a rating of 7 for fun and 4.5 brains of difficulty.

Josh

01-04-2008 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: Doorless Hold Contest Compilation (0)  
Thx hartleyhair for compiling this hold. The intro was a nice touch. Thx to all the contestants of course for their fine entries:)
01-16-2008 at 06:18 PM
PMIT
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
I quite enjoyed this one. With doors being so common in most holds, it was nice to see architects trying their hands at rooms that lack them. One aspect of the restriction that may not seem immediately obvious is how to enforce clearing the rooms, and it was interesting to see how each architect tried to resolve this issue. My favorite entry was probably Chaco's for making a traditional 'non-linear, but all rooms required' level within these restrictions. The entries are all fairly short and not too difficult, so it might make for a breather/relaxing hold if you missed the contest while it was going (like me). I definitely wouldn't mind seeing this idea revisited in the future with the new elements.

06-07-2015 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Doorless Hold Contest Compilation (No doors!) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com