Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Voids (A DROD 3.0 style, yay.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
IP: Logged

File: Voids.dmf (46.1 KB)
Downloaded 237 times.
License: Other
icon Voids (+2)  
I'm sure some of you remember this.

Well, so did I.

To import the style, you should just have to download the .dmf attached, go to the Style Management menu (click the Manage button by the style selection menu in the main build area) and import the file. This style was exported from DROD 3.0.0, so I'm not sure whether or not it imports properly, but I'm posting it here so everybody can try to import it.

You may use this style for whatever you want: inclusion in your holds, DROD screenshots, anything, as long as you specify along with the work that I created Voids 3.0.

08-06-2007 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Voids (+1)  
Chaco wrote:
This style was exported from DROD 3.0.0, so I'm not sure whether or not it imports properly, but I'm posting it here so everybody can try to import it.

Well, I can confirm it imports well into 3.0.1.
. . . I guess I never have been known to take staircases two steps at a time.

Having the demo version of DROD, I admit that it feels nice to actually have more than one style, now. ;)

Although I must say; the Wall greatly contrasts with everything else art-style-wise.
I prefer the art style of the walls over the art style of the other things, but it's not like I've made anything better.

Oh, yeah, and try editing some of the obstacles to have that statue from KDD.

EDIT: I've been using it in the level I'm working on, and I just realized: It is really hard to tell what direction those tunnels are facing, too.
But, first impressions aside, it actually doesn't look that bad once you start using it.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 08-10-2007 08:25 PM]
08-07-2007 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Voids (0)  
I'd update this to the styles page on the site, but there seems to be something up with the way you delete things. Is this a bug with the game, or the style?
08-30-2007 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Ezlo wrote:
I'd update this to the styles page on the site, but there seems to be something up with the way you delete things. Is this a bug with the game, or the style?
I hardly doubt the style is buggy. I mean, it's a picture, not a programming hack.

What deleting problems are you having? And do you have the beta 3.1 patch? If you do, you might want to consider posting in the bugs board . . .

08-30-2007 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Uh, I had no problems at all deleting things in the editor while working in a room with this style - and I don't know why the style would matter, as Kwakstur said. So maybe you reassigned your "delete" operation? I don't know why it would do that.

08-30-2007 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Sometimes when I delete floors in front of pits, the little graphical thing that shows how the floor is held up remains. Then I delete that and I can never put anything there again, ever.
08-30-2007 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Ezlo wrote:
the little graphical thing that shows how the floor is held up remains.

Uh, you mean the pitside graphics?

I tried putting walls and different floor types to the south and adjacent to pits, then "deleting" them back to regular floor and didn't get this problem, so maybe it's an issue specific to 3.1 or 3.0.2. I'm running 3.0.0.

08-30-2007 at 10:17 PM
Ezlo
Same here... hmmm.
08-30-2007 at 10:24 PM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Random semi-related question, but is it possible to build a hold with an integrated style file? i.e. to use this or one of the excellent styles in your hold, and when person A downloads the hold to play, it automatically includes the new style on the levels it's been set on?

08-31-2007 at 04:42 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
It's possible to do that, but it has to be done manually. Also, Schik told me that CaravelNet was not designed to handle it, and Bad Things(tm) may happen if you attempt to upload it.

Hopefully though, Schik will finally allow styles database releases, which will mean that the appropriate styles can be (automatically?) downloaded off of CaravelNet.
08-31-2007 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
The way it works currently is - if I build an awesome level of deadliness using this awesome style, one of two things happens.

A) If you have my awesome style installed while you are playing my awesome level, everything works as supposed and the level shows up in that style.

B) If you don't have my awesome style installed while you are playing my awesome level, DROD uses the City style instead.

I'm hoping that style publication feature via CaravelNet gets finished eventually, but I understand it's probably not a high priority right now.

08-31-2007 at 05:26 PM
goldenferret
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
I hope that you make the other 8 styles soon, Chaco. Except maybe Sanctum, it looks a lot like Fortress... :hmmm:

09-03-2007 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Or Ice - too similar to Iceworks, and Ice pits have water in them, so it's too similar to DROD 3.0 water.

I have, actually, done the absolute minimum for the other five styles (Lava, Cliffs, Palace, Catacombs, Slime) I haven't posted them yet, though.

09-03-2007 at 01:09 AM
Chaco

File: Voids 2.zip (221.1 KB)
Downloaded 61 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Voids (+3)  
Some people were complaining that Voids 3.0 was only published in a .dmf style, and thus it was impossible to be used as a template or to otherwise modify it.

Since I released Voids into the public domain, and I certainly approve of people examining my work, here are (most) of the Voids 3.0 files. In actuality, this is the Voids 2.0 style, which was what I started out with when I made Voids 3.0, and thus things like wall ordering, wall reflections in water, etc. are not present.

Note that there were many obstacles I designed that I did not include due to a lack of knowledge about which .tim numbers corresponded to which obstacle tiles.

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-17-2007 05:20 PM]
12-17-2007 at 05:18 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Tip: That program Stefan made (I think it was Stefan, anyway) to extract music files can also extract GeneralTiles.png and GeneralTiles.tim (though IIRC, one of those has no extension and requires a full extraction to be performed). They contain the complete TCB tileset and can be used as a guide.

INSERT OBLIGATORY BOILERPLATE COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT NOTICE
01-03-2008 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
The VoidsGrass.png doesn't seem to be included in the .zip file.

02-13-2008 at 06:44 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Voids (A DROD 3.0 style, yay.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com