Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation (Unofficial contest compilation)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

4.3/10 (9 votes)
σ 3.06
Author Name:Dischorran
Submitted By:Dischorran
Hold Name:The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation
Theme:Unofficial contest compilation
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:18
Number of Rooms:18
Number of Monsters:524
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Good the Bad and the Ugly compilation fixed.hold (37.8 KB)
Downloaded 954 times.
License: Other
icon The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation  
This is the compilation hold for The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly unofficial contest (contest thread,voting thread).

The theme? Make the ugliest room you can while still keeping it interesting to solve. Let's just say that the contestants succeeded remarkably well, if success is indeed the appropriate term for such hideous (yet fun!) rooms.

All credit goes to the contestants responsible for the hold design: medal winners VIPCOOL, Stew Boy, and Chaco, and otherwise valued contestants noma, Tahnan, 12th Archivist, and skell.
08-05-2009 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation (+4)  
This hold is ugly all right. Just looking at the rooms will make you say "Eeeeee-yuck!"

This hold demonstrates the wide variety of eyesores that can be created in DROD.
* You can have a hack and slash room that looks like a random mess of cat barf.
* You can have a room that forces you to see spots after staring at bright complementary colors (skell's and noma's entries).
* You can have a great puzzle with ugliness painted on top of it (Chaco's 3rd place and noma's entries).
* And you can have an intensely ugly room, where the puzzle forces you to spend an hour picking through every detail of ugliness to find a path through the mess. This is what VIPCOOL (1st place) and The Stew Boy (2nd place) did.

The postmastery content was interesting to look at, but was not so interesting to play.

Um... I guess... thanks(?) to Dischorran for holding such a unique contest. :P
08-05-2009 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation (+1)  
Wow, this contest happened a very long time ago, but it was a great idea! Maybe, someday, someone will redo the contest so other, fresher people can join in?

A fine compilation hold. The hub level is pretty ew, all right. Some of these puzzles are rather challenging, and not just because you have to stare at the ugliness for hours on end. Even so, different entrants brought different ideas to the table, so my difficulty rating is purely average.

8 for quality
5 for brains

(On an unrelated note, my "fun" rating for compilation holds is based on the quality of the hub room and how easy it is to navigate to the entries. That way, a contest's terrible entries could be compiled in an excellent hub room and the hold would receive a good rating from me. How do other people rate compilation holds?)

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-20-2012 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
icon Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation (0)  
I, for one, loved GB&U. Not enough effort goes into aesthetic considerations, much of the time.

I've been pondering making a request for something similar (yet not so horrible) for an official contest, but I know not how to go about such a request. So I'll probably just host it as an unofficial contest in August (pending interest).

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

07-21-2012 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
If you're offering to host it, you pretty much just tell Mike your idea and then he probably says yes.

07-21-2012 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
Schik wrote:
If you're offering to host it, you pretty much just tell Mike your idea and then he probably says yes.
Thanks for the info, Schik.

I'll do that Monday, in that event. I'm booked with con until then.

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

07-21-2012 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
12th Archivist wrote:
Wow, this contest happened a very long time ago, but it was a great idea! Maybe, someday, someone will redo the contest so other, fresher people can join in?

No, this was certainly NOT a good idea
And out of respect I stop my review here
10-27-2020 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3405
Respect is vastly overrated.

10-27-2020 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Dischorran wrote:
Respect is vastly overrated.

Fine, since you've asked for it
Playing this compilation is like eating chocolate mixed with cucumber and poured with petroleum oil

Some people might recommend this hold to play under the influence, thinking the hold would make more sense then, but that would be very irresponsible, as such person would quickly rush to toilet and probably stay there for the rest of the evening

With that said, the previously mentioned respect is really deserved for (your) other holds, with my favorite being the briar one.
And obviously the point was made with this compilation.

But let it also stand as a testament and as a warning of the horrors that human brain is capable of creating :frankie

[Last edited by Illusionist at 10-27-2020 10:40 PM]
10-27-2020 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3405
Playing holds under the influence generally doesn't help, but I can say from extensive personal experience that the precise opposite is true for their creation.

10-27-2020 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Holy crap
Now I finally understand what you've meant
It's almost like a DROD puzzle, a slow burner

[Last edited by Illusionist at 01-15-2021 09:38 AM]
01-15-2021 at 09:37 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation (Unofficial contest compilation) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com