Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Old School (Old School puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.2/10 (17 votes)
σ 0.73
Author Name:Roger
Submitted By:calamarain
Hold Name:The Old School
Theme:Old School puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:31
Number of Monsters:294
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:12 (+12 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Old School.hold (10.3 KB)
Downloaded 1465 times.
License: Other
icon The Old School  
Since it's modern times, a rebellion is in order - going back to the old classics. So here's a short (30 or so rooms) hold made entirely in Architect's Edition. All the classics.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-16-2009 02:54 AM]
03-15-2009 at 12:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: The Old School (+1)  
Well, here's an Architect's Edition hold (which by itself is quite rare in this day and age) made by Calamarain that's just the right size to play through in an hour or two.

A handful of rooms are pretty straightforward while others require quite a bit of thinking, but it was still quite relaxing IMHO.

I vote 5 brains and 9 fun(s)... :)

np: The Fireman - Sing The Changes (Electric Arguments)

[Last edited by Briareos at 03-15-2009 05:44 PM]
03-15-2009 at 12:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: The Old School (0)  
Always nice to see some old school love. Will rate when I finish but about halfway through I can see myself giving it an 8 fun rating.
03-15-2009 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Done and Done!

1s1e had me going for a bit there but I realized I was making it too complicated and I managed to finish the hold.

Enjoyable puzzles: 3w, 3e, 1n2e and 2n1w were my favorites.

9 fun and huuurm.... I'm never quite sure on brains but I'll give it a 6.
03-15-2009 at 06:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I am really really enjoying this hold. It's exactly what I've been craving: back to basics, with tricky puzzles that make you think but aren't too hard. And for those who want to see examples of good trapdoor puzzles, look no further. The only thing making me crazy is that I really want to finish it but I've already lost too much time to playing as it is: got to get ready for house guests. Eek!
03-15-2009 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
This hold is... rather hard. There were several rooms that seem impossible without a cheap trick. However, there are no cheap tricks in sight, so point blank efficiency or masterful skills in setting things up are dead required for completing a hold like this. I'm going to give this an 8 for brains.

The puzzles are tricky, but they look really cool. Sometimes, it looks so simple and yet it isn't. The few rooms I could solve in this hold were very enjoyable and quite though provoking. An 8 or 9 for fun seems adequate.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
03-15-2009 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Also, just a note for any aspiring delvers - as this is an AE hold, there are no secret rooms so please don't waste time looking for them :) There are optional (non-required) challenge rooms though, feel free to test your skills!

03-15-2009 at 10:09 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Here's just the kind of hold that many forum members have been waiting for. Cal's made a variety of not-too-tricky puzzles that use only AE elements. You don't have to be a walking encyclopedia of element interactions to figure these rooms out, you'll only meet brained and unbrained roaches, queens, wraithwings, serpents, goblins, and tar. However, if you do happen to be an expert manipulator of any of the AE monsters, go ahead and snag a #1 score! Many of these rooms are very amenable to optimization.

A good hold for a relaxing couple of hours on a Sunday evening. :)
03-16-2009 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
I've played this hold a bit, and I'm surprised of the diversity in the puzzles even though it's an AE hold. The room I really liked is 2N 1E. (Not sure if the coordinates are right, can't check right now. It's the room with the 2 blobs of tar and the mother, where you need to prevent one blob from growing an unkillable baby.)

Will post more once I get further.
03-16-2009 at 10:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
slimm tom wrote:
The room I really liked is 2N 1E. (Not sure if the coordinates are right, can't check right now. It's the room with the 2 blobs of tar and the mother, where you need to prevent one blob from growing an unkillable baby.)
ITYM 1N 2W... :)

03-16-2009 at 11:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Nice, solid enjoyable hold!
04-09-2009 at 02:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
This is a very nice little hold containing 4 groups of rooms themed around tar, snakes, roaches and trapdoors. None of the rooms are too tricky, although there are some unrequired challenge rooms which provide a bit more effort. Not much more to say about this, if you feel like a bit of old school fun then give this hold a go.

My Rating:

Difficulty: 5.5
Fun: 8

Progress - Gavin G
02-24-2014 at 02:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Old School (Old School puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com