Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Final Confrontation (Story, Secrets, Scripts, Surprises and Alliteration.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.7/10 (19 votes)
σ 2.68
Author Name:Jacob
Submitted By:Jacob
Hold Name:The Final Confrontation
Theme:Story, Secrets, Scripts, Surprises and Alliteration.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:75
Number of Monsters:735
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:6 (+6 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Final Confrontation.hold (51.3 KB)
Downloaded 2780 times.
License: Other
icon The Final Confrontation  
Here's the final, and my favourite, hold in my series of 4 (Labyrinthitis, The Domain of the Grinfidel, The Hunt for the Grinfidel).
Here the story is greatly expanded and concluded. There are alternate endings and paths to take, many secrets, a bunch of characters, "The Slayer's Challenge", and much more.
You can play it without playing the previous 3 holds (a brief resume of what happened in them is given at the start), though, if you enjoyed this hold, you'll probably enjoy them too.
See if you can find what's behind the master door.
Thanks to Tim, TripleM and vAmpir for playtesting. Enjoy.

(Note: a few rooms have scripted speech and character actions. Speech is real time, while events are turn-based, so if you quickly rush through the room they'll get out of sync, which would look a bit dumb.)
07-02-2005 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: The Final Confrontation (+1)  
Jacob - the stairs in Revolutions now seem to end the hold.

Now that I'm here, I should say that this was an excellent hold. There were some very nice and unique puzzles in here, and I definitely recommend everyone to play it. I especially liked the 'cooperation' puzzles in the final level.

My only complaint - its the last one in the series! Will be looking forward to more holds :)
07-06-2005 at 12:22 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: The Final Confrontation (0)  
Argh! Why does it keep doing that to me? I know it didn't end the hold before, because I played through it to double check.
Have now updated it.
Thanks for playing through it again and pointing that out, there were another 4 rooms on that level not on architecture, so glad you did.
Not sure if I'll be making a new hold (there's a new level on architecture though, just as a small diversion). I spend way too much time making holds for my own good. Did you find, and pass, the master door?

[Last edited by Jacob at 07-06-2005 06:28 PM]
07-06-2005 at 02:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Just finished, and it is a worthy end of your series. I particulary liked the slayer challange. Perhaps not so dificult, but I like the idea of first exploring and then doing things in the right order.

Click here to view the secret text

08-21-2005 at 09:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
This is a great hold, I found it very enjoyable especially the slayer's challenge. :thumbsup

There was one possible small bug though, in retribution 5s my method of completing the room led to the death of the grinfidel who is then magically resurrected in the following room. :?

09-10-2005 at 11:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Rank Points: 154
nice hold.
I can't rate it though cus i can't even get past the first room! :yikes

-Insane

[Last edited by Insane at 09-10-2005 11:53 AM]
09-10-2005 at 11:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Um, the copy I have appears to end at 'Return', and any further attempts to download what's here at the Holds page seems to go 'oh, hey, corrupted'.

..that said, this is an awesome hold.
09-11-2005 at 06:08 AM
Jacob
Are others finding this too? Shall I upload the file again?
Would re-uploading mess up high scores?

09-11-2005 at 04:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Jacob wrote:
Are others finding this too? Shall I upload the file again?
I don't get that error... it downloads fine for me. However, I haven't played up to "Return".
Would re-uploading mess up high scores?
Nah, the spider would just have to re-verify scores. If you uploaded the exact same version, then I think players wouldn't even have to re-download and thus re-verify their demos.

09-11-2005 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
I just downloaded the file and it imported fine for me (it did cause an assertion error, but that didn't prevent me from importing it). Try downloading (make sure you're not downloading from cache) and importing it again, and if that doesn't work, you could try exporting your player, deleting the hold, importing the hold, and re-importing your player. If that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall

09-11-2005 at 05:16 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Just finished this one...excellent hold! The Slayer's Challenge is deliciously wicked, and Retribution has some great puzzles.

I really enjoyed this one (although I have to admit that I found the very first room to be the most difficult).

Josh

05-05-2006 at 03:11 PM
Jacob
I begin to see a pattern to the holds you're playing... :)
You've got 3 of mine still to go (I think)

05-05-2006 at 07:50 PM
jbluestein
Jacob wrote:
I begin to see a pattern to the holds you're playing... :)
You've got 3 of mine still to go (I think)

Well, I thought I'd do the Grindfidel ones in sequence...seemed kind of logical.

I have downloaded in fact your others but haven't started them yet. Currently, I'm trying to solve Penthouse, Beethro Goes Fourth, and every so often I pop into Lost Temple or Perfection when I need a good dose of humility.

So many great holds, so little time!

Oh yeah...and I still have two secret rooms to solve in Journey to Rooted Hold. Someday...

05-05-2006 at 07:54 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well sheesh, you should really focus on those JtRH secret rooms so you can see the Dreamplane, it's a huge level full of cool stuff (and even some extra puzzles that got chopped out of the main hold).

But I'm okay with you playing my holds too. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-06-2006 at 04:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Oneiromancer wrote:
Well sheesh, you should really focus on those JtRH secret rooms so you can see the Dreamplane, it's a huge level full of cool stuff (and even some extra puzzles that got chopped out of the main hold).

But I'm okay with you playing my holds too. :)

Heh. Well, my two remaining JtRH secrets are the two hard (official Boston-area terminology: "wicked hahd") rooms on Level 22. I keep going back to them, but I can't ever seem to solve them. I'm sure I'll get them eventually...

05-08-2006 at 03:42 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
There are demos available for both of them, either on the forum (sometimes) or by e-mail (I'm the "custodian" of the 1N 1E one, it seems like). So if you really want to, you can get it done. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-08-2006 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Well, I finished the easy way of the hold, and I have to say, I loved it! But there's a small problem that is finding the second path.

EDIT: THis is not me asking for a hint. I don't want one thank you.

EDIT AGAIN: This is what I love in a hold! Non-linearity, a great story, and rooms of reasonable difficulty! Now I should try the other three holds! :smile

[Last edited by Ezlo at 08-17-2006 03:47 AM]
08-17-2006 at 12:38 AM
jemann
Rank Points: 160
This hold is as close to perfection (small p) as I've played.

I've been playing through the Grinfidel series - how could one resist a hold called Labyrinthitis? - and enjoying each entry more and more. I thought the third one, Hunt for the Grinfidel, was the best, and then this one topped it.

Firstly, great Halph puzzles. It's a pity that he's now off-canon, because he allows for some unique puzzle elements. Return: 1S, in particular, had me stumped for some hours. Then Retribution: 7S used Halph's movement in a way I hadn't noticed before.

Second, a coherent style for each level. Rest had that relaxing outdoor style which is under-used (why should little pixellated rocks and bushes be relaxing? I have no idea). And The Ruined City was also a look I hadn't seen before - multi-room buildings, with wreckage and crumbly walls. Plus, sticking to the same monster types makes each level even more consistent. (Now I'm racking my brain as to whether there are queen roaches anywhere in the hold).

Thirdly, I like the level of difficulty. While there's a place for the pulling-hair-out holds, this hold was pitched at the right level for me - nothing had me delayed for too long, or was too trivial (Revolutions was easy but not tedious).

Last, a story isn't necessary, but when done well it ties the entire hold into more than a random collection of puzzles. The scripting is all solid, and none of the spelling/grammar made me cringe. I guess people voted for the third option given in Hunt...

The completion freak in me also loves all the secret stuff, especially complete secret levels.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying out your later holds!
12-11-2006 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
Finally I finished the Trilogy! It was hours and hours of fun and frustration at times. The slayers revenge was veeery interesting, and of course, I went right ahead and killed the first roach on my first try. Curiously, the puzzle behind the master wall took me the looongest to figure out since I kept getting blocked in! Thanks for the fun!
10-03-2007 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
kingpr
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
OK I am now very frustrated! I have thoroughly enjoyed this hold - but I have only found one route through (presumably the easy one). Where oh where do I get to the other path? I'm sure it is staring me in the face but can I see it? Please help!

Thanks
07-12-2008 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
After enjoying Aurora's Palace so much I decided to check out another Jacob hold and began this one. I've conquered it and think it's a terrific hold. Good solid puzzles: some tricky, some sneaky, nothing impossibly difficult with a few very simple rooms thrown in and all fun. I'm usually not a fan of orb puzzles, but here they were my favourite rooms. Slayer's Challenge was my favourite level, which was a pleasant surprise, because once I realized what it was all about I thought I would find it incredibly frustrating. It was quite actually very satisfying to figure out the correct level path and -- since I like to make an attempt at optimization -- work out the "most efficient" room solve. There's a very creative twisty mind at work in this architect's head.

However I would really like to master this and have come up against a wall. Well, more like some stubborn blue gates.
(secreted for length and non-relevance)

And now I'm off to work on the previous holds in the series!
08-04-2011 at 04:35 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: The Final Confrontation (+2)  
It's always fun to replay such a good hold to answer a question like this. :)

Noma:

08-04-2011 at 11:36 PM
noma
Wow, you re-played a hold to answer my question. You are a wonderful rabbit. Thank you, thank you!
Off to complete, conquer and hopefully master!
08-05-2011 at 12:09 AM
noma
And mastered. I can't add much to what I wrote above except that the "hidden" levels are worth finding. There did seem to be a few rooms with unintended solutions, or maybe they were meant to be "gimmes", but they are balanced out by the few that had me completely flummoxed. Until I wasn't. ;)

I must say that I felt the hold could have used a few more/better placed checkpoints, but luckily none of the rooms were so tedious that I really resented having to restart. Well, there might have been a couple of exceptions: yes, I'm looking at you RC:3S:1W. A room which also serves to remind one that while there might be a reason for everything Jacob puts in a room, sometimes the reason is to create a red herring, and the puzzle is to figure out which element is which.

Edit: Oops. Forgot to mention how much I enjoyed reading the scrolls in the master area that take you "behind the scenes" on this series. And thanks for the entertainment too; the Hamlet adlib made me giggle.

[Last edited by noma at 08-05-2011 03:32 PM]
08-05-2011 at 06:49 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
This was a really fun hold. There are some great Halph puzzles, and some of the optional content was really creative. Definitely worth playing through. Don't let the first room scare you off from the rest of the hold.

11-17-2020 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Final Confrontation (Story, Secrets, Scripts, Surprises and Alliteration.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com