Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : One-Room Hold Compilation (One-Hold Rooms)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.8/10 (13 votes)
σ 1.92
Author Name:Chaco
Submitted By:Chaco
Hold Name:One-Room Hold Compilation
Theme:Four holds - Four Rooms
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:31
Number of Monsters:54
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: One-Room Hold Compilation.hold (13.4 KB)
Downloaded 2028 times.
License: Other
icon One-Room Hold Compilation  
This is a compilation of the holds for Jacob's unofficial One-Room Holds contest. Included are Jacob's two entries, Mikko's entry, and my (Chaco's) entry. It also contains an extra-special room I made just to make the total five. Enjoy the architecture and reuse of elements while your life and sanity lasts.
03-27-2006 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: One-Room Hold Compilation (0)  
And... they're off! Looks like the highscorers wallu and Stefan are already optimizing the room-clear playthroughs of the rooms. :lol

03-28-2006 at 02:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
No, not optimizing, but I would like to get a highscore for each room. This doesn't seem possible for two of the levels (Serpents and Wubbas (Mikko) and One room in a hold, or a hold in one room? (Jacob)). These both have a start position in their hidden room, although that shouldn't really matter (or does it?).

03-28-2006 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Not to worry, I marked those rooms unhighscoreable. The only rooms you can get scores on (indeed, for the entire hold) are the five one-room holds. Anyway, those entrances were artifacts of copy/paste work, since you can't "delete" the entrance room of a level, even if to replace it with a new one.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-28-2006 12:34 PM]
03-28-2006 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: One-Room Hold Compilation (+1)  
No, no, you misunderstand me. I can't get any highscores for the one-room holds on those levels (and if you look at the highscores for the hold it seems that no-one else can get any scores for them either). I just mentioned the thing about the entrances in the empty rooms as an interesting observation (and possible cause).

[Last edited by Stefan at 03-28-2006 02:15 PM]
03-28-2006 at 02:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Stefan wrote:
No, no, you misunderstand me. I can't get any highscores for the one-room holds on those levels (and if you look at the highscores for the hold it seems that no-one else can get any scores for them either). I just mentioned the thing about the entrances in the empty rooms as an interesting observation (and possible cause).
Stefan, those rooms were (for whatever reason) marked as non-highscorable. I've fixed that, so go ahead and try uploading your scores for them again, or replaying them.

[Last edited by Schik at 03-28-2006 04:23 PM]
03-28-2006 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chaco
Hmm, odd, since I made sure I marked *only* my editor-accessible rooms with my opinions on all the rooms as non-highscoreable...

Oh well, fixed now. Hooray, I have a hold released, even if only a compilation :)

03-28-2006 at 08:43 PM
Chaco
*bump*

I've discovered something in this hold that I didn't intend - specifically that Warped Warp Thrice West is required. This doesn't make the hold impossible, but it is rather inconvenient.

Also, when searching for help for some of the entries, the rooms that are visible are my commentary rooms instead of the actual rooms.

I could make an update to fix both of these, HOWEVER - it's not real necessary and would make everybody re-verify their scores for the entries.

I guess I'd just like everyone's opinion on this.

09-02-2006 at 05:31 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'd say go for it, actually. If you don't change any gameplay elements but make the hold more accessible that's a good thing, and since it's a pretty small hold verification will be fast and relatively painless.

09-02-2006 at 05:35 AM
Chaco
Today (September 2nd, 2006) I updated this hold.

Thrice West is not required anymore.

Minor aesthetic changes have been made to my entry and Mikko's entry.

The correct rooms show up in the Room Image database.

Hopefully the highscores should re-verify very quickly. In addition this should bring this hold to the attention of newer people who might not have seen this before.

09-02-2006 at 06:05 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I reconquered the hold because a surprising number of high scores were lost (all the warped-warp re-entrance rooms) and yet I still have these 4 mystery secret rooms listed as needing to be done. I don't think they're accessible, though.

EDIT: oh, I can edit the hold. yes, the rooms are inaccessible and should be marked as un-high-scorable.

[Last edited by silver at 09-03-2006 02:08 PM]
09-03-2006 at 01:01 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
The highscores were not lost - those rooms were not scorable before the update. Originally, only the five contest rooms were scorable.

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-03-2006 03:00 PM]
09-03-2006 at 02:56 PM
Chaco
The appropriate rooms have been unhighscore-ified.

Unfortunately, one of the problems with this style of room is that the only highscores available are the ones in which you conquer the room.

Also, in my room, this means restoring, since you're not supposed to actually conquer the room until you're done with the fourth puzzle, but you can conquer the room more efficiently from one of the other corners.

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-03-2006 05:25 PM]
09-03-2006 at 05:23 PM
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
I'm just curious about one thing. I've conqured all of the rooms, and the secret one. But when I review it says that I've only explored 50% of the four entry rooms. Why is that?
08-14-2008 at 05:12 AM
Chaco
That's because when you look in the editor, there are rooms in each the four levels that are accessible only from the editor, which contain scrolls :)

08-14-2008 at 12:32 PM
PMIT
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
I wasn't around when this contest was originally held, but I loved the concept behind it. Seeing how different starting positions can drastically affect the way you approach a room is always something I find interesting, and each of the rooms here had their own unique style, to the point where it's difficult for me to choose a favorite. Well done to each of the entrants!

05-16-2014 at 12:33 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : One-Room Hold Compilation (One-Hold Rooms) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com