Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Unfortunate Architect Compilation (December 2004's Contest Compilation)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (10 votes)
σ 1.22
Author Name:King Heighert (Patrick Fi
Submitted By:gamer_extreme_101
Hold Name:Unfortunate Architect Compilation
Theme:December 2004's Contest Compilation
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:15
Number of Rooms:148
Number of Monsters:4131
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Unfortunate Architect Compilation.hold (90.2 KB)
Downloaded 4249 times.
License: Other
icon Unfortunate Architect Compilation  
Here it is - the Unfortunate Architect Compilation hold released on the Holds board for high scoring pleasure!

Just a couple of quick notes:
-You may notice it's an AE hold. That's where the rooms are made, and there are no JtRH features that needs to be put in. If, hoiwever, there's a large enough demand (Let's say 15 people PMing me), then I'll create a special version with me doing the voice commentaries.

-Thanks again go out to all the architects who submitted holds to the contest. All of them were very enjoyable.

-Thanks to Mr. Master of Mothingness Erik, as per usual. Letting me run a contest was a fairly big leap to take.

So, enjoy, and try to see how efficiently you can do some of these rooms!

05-26-2005 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Unfortunate Architect Compilation (0)  
Attention, everyone. With just 15 PM's to Patrick, (gamer_extreme_101) we can get him to remake this hold with an audio commentary. Now, wouldn't that be cool. Get your private messages going. ;)

[Last edited by Doom at 08-22-2008 12:32 PM : nothing to see here]
05-28-2005 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
Does he have a cool accent? I always love it when Brits hop onto teamspeak. I see he's Canadian, eh? I hope he doesn't overuse 'eh', eh.

05-28-2005 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Actually, I don't have much of an accent, but I can do some Irish speak very well, me laddie.

And the current total for votes for me to do this is 1/15. I will, however, make another deal saying that if someone was to create a poll somewhere asking the same questions, I would be willing to do it if I recieved 25+ votes for it (Since a poll requires less effort by people, of course). Aren't I such-a nice-a guy?

05-28-2005 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101

File: Unfortunate Architect Compilation Rev A1.hold (90.2 KB)
Downloaded 110 times.
License: Other
Not suprising to me, there was a bug or two in someone's hold (You guessed it - Stefan's), which means that there's currently a new version I have to spread around. It's attached to this post until I can update the hold properly.

Changes in Revision A1:
-CROSS-VERSION BUG IN RR-1N1W: Brain doesn't lead wraithwing over arrow in JtRH.
-Changed Level Description in RR to original.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:06-04-2005 at 11:29 PM]

06-04-2005 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Bumped.

I guess Patrick can update this hold now as hold updates are possible again. (actually, I just wanted to know whether this is true, and whether I should update one of my holds...)

Oh, and I second Henri's idea to use speech for this hold. It is a very good way to disguise those speeling mestakes...

-- Tim :)

09-21-2005 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Erm...I should have updated it already....IIRC, I updated it on the first day we were allowed to.

09-21-2005 at 01:42 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: Unfortunate Architect Compilation (+1)  
This hold, a collection of 14 9-room holds, is SUPERB. The contest rules force each hold to contain 9 rooms all of which must be accessible from the entrance. This allows the player to easily skip any unwanted rooms.

Every architect did a fantastic job in my opinion. Each has their own style. A couple were fairly easy, most were just the right difficulty, and a couple were too taxing for my little brain. This compilation has a LOT of DROD gaming goodness.
09-23-2005 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Unfortunate Architect Compilation (+3)  
I started this hold a good while back and shelved it, overwhelmed by the difficulty. I came back to it a little while ago, armed with extra skill, and...well, I didn't finish every last bit of it, but I've played enough to conquer the hold and I wanted to comment some.

This is a truly excellent compilation hold. It shows its age a bit due -- it's an AE hold, and as one of the first compilations it doesn't incorporate some of the tricks that later holds use (such as allowing you to exit from a difficult level and go try something easier). That said, it displays early architecture work from people who have gone on to produce truly excellent holds: Stefan, Doom, Jacob, Rabscuttle, Tim, agaricus5. (OK, in some cases their work was *before* this contest, but still, I like my wording so I'm keeping it.)

Some comments on individual levels:

Click here to view the secret text

Overall, I give this hold a 9 for fun and 8 brains of difficulty.

Josh

[Last edited by jbluestein at 10-22-2009 05:03 PM]
10-22-2009 at 05:02 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Unfortunate Architect Compilation (December 2004's Contest Compilation) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com