Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Beginner's Set 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Neather man
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 6
IP: Logged

File: DRODFEST 2013 3.hold (17.4 KB)
Downloaded 61 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Beginner's Set 2 (0)  
This is slightly harder, as in 2.5 brains rating harder. Let's do DRODFEST 2013! The hold description is so long the Change Location page can't fit it! I was Mr. Hack and Slash, and now look where I am!

[Last edited by Neather man at 03-10-2013 10:54 AM]
03-09-2013 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Beginner's Set 2 (0)  
Alrighty... I just went through this thing, and here are some comments and suggestions:]
Click here to view the secret text

I have to admit this did feel very hack&slash-y. This isn't a bad thing though. There's a market in this place for people who just need a quick and easy hold to romp through. It's just that the more skilled players generally favor the more puzzling packs of levels. All in all, I'd give this hold 3 brains and 6 in rating. Keep up the good work! :)

-Jeff_Ray===

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 03-10-2013 05:06 PM]
03-09-2013 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather man
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 6
I got the issue down in 2N lvl 1, and shortened the SEKRIT. lvl 2: 1N1E was intended to require trapdoor dropping, I modified it now. 2N didn't need it though. Level 3: I spared myself a lot of time with the "hit the orb" method, although I saw there was a "pressure plate" method in there too.

1N1W was intended for 2 orb hits, but it tricks beginners. 2N1W, I suspected someone would not enjoy "scattershot method", but I noticed the author of the "war" series won a lot of credit. War is hack and slash, but strangely no one said compliance.

Fourth level: The speed potion is for beginners. 2E: I thought it would be a challenge for beginners to lure a wraithwing around the corner.

Fifth: 3N: the room is purple. It affects score as you said, but as long as no one is "LOL i'm hi score crazy", it should be alright.

Sixth: 1N: trial-and-error I noticed is frowned upon, but I think if you can hit the restart key and be able to do the room in a finger snap, everything's fine.

Eighth: If you wanted a "challenge", strike the orb.

Tenth: If you are a beginner, the tarstuff token makes it easier. Remember, 1N is purple too.

Twelfth: I got 1E back to city.

Thirteenth: Script changed. 1N: beginners probably wouldn't know, so they would struggle instead.

Fourteenth: URS rooms are always purple. This one (Entrance) is purple.

Fifteenth: Entrance: beginners wouldn't know, so I let them use 4 squares. 1N: are you sure? I set shallow water traversal to "cannot enter".

Look above for the next edition. Also, checkpoints are not included as someone probably has their "show checkpoints" unchecked. Plus, the brain scale would slide down MORE if I placed some as people ALWAYS complain about how easy my rooms are, whether they are hack and slash or not.
03-09-2013 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 623
Neather man wrote:
Also, checkpoints are not included as someone probably has their "show checkpoints" unchecked. Plus, the brain scale would slide down MORE if I placed some as people ALWAYS complain about how easy my rooms are, whether they are hack and slash or not.

Hello.
I don't have much new to say except for two things:

Level 1 Entrance: There's a backtracking issue; I can simply exit the room and leave it unconquered and this means I can't exit the level then, you can put a green door to prevent this. I also didn't need to toggle the orb.

It's not true that more checkpoints makes the hold easier, it makes it more fluent and beginners like checkpoints so that would improve fun bar (if they are well placed) and not descrease brain bar.
I also agree with Jeff_Ray, a monsters that attacks Halph has a really good puzzle potential and it can be really exploit.

03-10-2013 at 09:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Beginner's Set 2
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com