Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (Awards Ceremony)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
IP: Logged
icon The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (+6)  
The voting period for the Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards is finished. A big thanks to all forum members who participated! This year, 25 thoughtful forum members helped me create the ballot by nominating their favorite holds, 46 fine and upstanding forum members voted in the main poll, and 35 conscientious voters came back to vote in the tiebreaker poll.

====================================================================================
:party :yay :band :yay :party :yay :band :yay :party :yay :band :yay :party

Now we have some BIG WINNERS of the

Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards!

This year's competition was dominated by one huge epic phenomenal masterpiece, Gigantic Jewel Lost! Almost all holds made in 2009 were of very high quality, and a few of those deserving holds managed to win awards as well. Also, another architect has joined the elite ranks of Erik Hermansen Award winners.

Without further ado, here are the big winners of 2009!

====================================================================================

1. Technical Design Excellence in Scripting

:hooray Gigantic Jewel Lost by Zch and Kallor wins!

Towards the end of Gigantic Jewel Lost, Beethro walks into a set of rooms called the Robolab. A set of pressure plates act as a computer keypad. Depressing them causes a series of instructions to appear on a screen. These instructions control a robot that clears the monsters from an isolated portion of the lab room. Even though Beethro is limited to only 3 lines total with a maximum of 11 instructions per line, he can create surprisingly complex programs, as he may define and use two subroutines. A script that allows the player to write a script -- if that's not the ultimate feat in scripting, I don't know what is! Well done, Zch and Kallor!

2. Technical Design Excellence in Layout and Aesthetics

:hooray Gigantic Jewel Lost by Zch and Kallor wins its second award!

Gigantic Jewel Lost is a beautiful balance of art and function. Each level's minimap has a distinctive and aesthetically pleasing pattern, punctuated by the occasional whimsical jellyfish, or bumble bee, or gigantic snake, or... well, you should play it to find out what else! The individual rooms are color coordinated by level; Goblin Woods has a green theme, and two new room styles were created to give Underground Lake its blue theme, and Lava Land its red theme. While the main puzzles in this hold are not determined by the hold art, they fit in with it perfectly. What an amazingly beautiful hold, Zch and Kallor!

3. Technical Design Excellence in Concept

:hooray One Step Ahead by Hartleyhair wins!

53rd Pipe Maintenance Advisor (a swordless stalwart) finds himself in a strange place, with his every step dogged by a silent goblin. Our protagonist must find ways to use his quiet companion to open doors which allow the both of them to progress through seven varied but not too strenuous puzzles. This was a refreshingly fun idea, Hartleyhair!

4. Creative Design Excellence in Storyline

:hooray Complex Complex by Rheb wins!

Sometime after clearing King Dugan's Dungeon, but before starting the Journey to Rooted Hold, Beethro accepts a job from the DAA to stop a renegade evil architect. However, in Rheb's intriguing semi-canon story, Beethro finds that the difference between good and bad is not as clear-cut as he had thought. The main characters are well developed, especially the traitor architect Ombus Thenn, who is one delicious villain. We meet him only briefly in person, but his increasingly eccentric character is well revealed through a series of scrolls, written by Blondbeard, placed throughout the hold. Overall, this is a terrific story that leaves us all wondering what happens next. To think, at one point, this hold was going to be rushed out as a Smitemaster's Selection with no story at all... great save, Rheb! While several people worked together on this story, the award goes to the biggest contributors, Rheb and Blondbeard. Very nice writing, gentlemen!

5. Creative Design Excellence in Difficulty

:hooray Gigantic Jewel Lost by Zch and Kallor wins its third award!

This time, Gigantic Jewel Lost wins for its puzzles. The architects built this hold in the two years following TCB's release. Dozens upon dozens of tricky - yet still fun - puzzles comprise an in-depth exploration of the "new" 3.0 Elements. I learned new things about how to efficiently shorten adders and how to precisly manipulate stalwarts. Other themes include golems and giants, brains, aumtlich, guards, and slayers, each including a variety of unique puzzle ideas. There's also the amazing scripted Robolab described above. As a break from DROD puzzles, the Underground Lake level includes a number of classic non-DROD puzzles rendered into DROD using pressure plates. And for yet a different type of puzzle, there are interesting rooms that describe the mathematics of DROD, including tarstuff cutting and decoy placement puzzles. No matter what your taste in challenges is, there's something in Gigantic Jewel Lost for you. Excellent work, Zch and Kallor!

6. Creative Design Excellence in Entertainment

:hooray One Step Ahead by Hartleyhair wins its second award!

This bite-sized hold features attractive rooms, cool but not too difficult swordless manipulation puzzles (described above), and a very sweet story! Sometimes good things come in small packages. Thanks so much for this little gem, Hartleyhair!

7. Graphics Design Excellence in a Modification

:hooray InFlamesRock style by Zch wins!

InFlamesRock is one of the two custom room styles Zch made for Gigantic Jewel Lost. He describes it as "a red, grim, hot place." My favorite features of this style are the interesting stone floor textures, and the rock obstacles, which have hard gray surfaces with cracks to reveal their red molten centers. This is a very classy style, Zch!

8. 2009 DROD Hold of the Year

:hooray Gigantic Jewel Lost by Zch and Kallor wins its fourth award!

Gigantic Jewel Lost almost swept the entire 2009 People's Choice Awards. It was the winner in the scripting, aesthetics, and difficult puzzles categories, and was two votes away from winning in the concept and storyline categories too. It's no surprise that this 370-room epic masterpiece, where Beethro helps the famed Dupont brothers recover Professor Gouda's missing Rainbow Jewel, is the 2009 DROD Hold of the Year! I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again: "You should play this hold." Gigantic congratulations to Zch and Kallor! This hold is awesome!

9. 2009 DROD RPG Level Set of the Year

:hooray The Test of Mind by Jeff_Ray... wins!

DROD RPG is still a relatively new game, and many of us are still beginners. Jeff_Ray... has a particular talent at creating holds that are accessible to beginners but still fun and interesting for everyone. The Test of Mind is no exception. The protagonist is Gobardo, a trainee stalwart who must journey through challenges within his own mind in his quest to untimately defeat the evil and heartless Spookswielder. The levels are large, well decorated, complicated enough to be interesting, but not too complicated. There are ample, well-placed autosave points, as well as plenty of health, ATK, DEF, and keys. Thus, lots of replaying is not necessary, unless you're an optimizer. There's even a fun little "rat race" to collect accessories, as in the first part of Tendry's Tale. I truly enjoyed playing this level set. Kudos to you, Jeff_Ray...!

10. 2009 Novice Architect Award

:hooray Penwielder wins!

Penwielder showed up on the forum in late 2009, when he posted his AE hold, Penwielder's Palace in Architecture. This hold shows Penwielder's growth from fledgling builder to devious architect. It starts with some easy, not too impressive roach rooms. But then we progress to interesting mimic puzzles, tar horde management problems, and goblin manipulation challenges. It ends with clever and fairly challenging brain path puzzles - very impressive. Penwielder's Palace is now on the Holds board, and it was just two votes away from winning this year's award in the entertainment category. What a great start! You've got a natural talent for this, Penwielder!. Hope to see more from you!

11. 2009 Erik Hermansen Award for Lifetime Architectural Achievement

:hooray BoyBlue wins!

BoyBlue arrived on the scene in 2006, and produced a steady stream of consistently high quality holds. Through the end of 2009, he has given us Spare Rooms, Blue Rooms, Twenty-Three Rooms, Edge of the World, Madness in the Spring, El Dorado, and Random Obsessive. In 2010, beyond the scope of this award, he kept right on building and created Cycles. BoyBlue is probably best known as a master of minimalistic lynchpin puzzles... which are all clearly impossible (right?), yet incredibly addictive! Every great architect can build more than one type of room, and BoyBlue is no exception. In BoyBlue's holds, you can also expect to find mazes. Most of BoyBlue's mazes don't look like mazes, but they still require the solver to find that one correct path through the cleverly placed elements in the room. In addition, you'll find some looser puzzles that, at first glance, look like random scatterings of monsters (and maybe that's what some of them are). But the scatterings you'll find in any given BoyBlue hold have been carefully selected such that each requires a different thought-provoking strategy to solve it. BoyBlue can even make great DROD adaptations of other puzzles; for example, if you hunt through his holds (I'll not say which one), you'll find a hidden Sokoban room. No matter what you find in a BoyBlue hold, it's sure to be a fun challenge! 2009 is BoyBlue's year to join the elite group of Erik Hermansen Award winners. You're brilliant, BoyBlue! We love you!

Let's have a big round of applause for all the winners!

Congratulation once again to Zch and Kallor, to Hartleyhair, to Rheb and Blondbeard, to Jeff_Ray..., to Penwielder, and to BoyBlue! Traditionally, the biggest prize here is to be able to say you won in the Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards. But I also happen to have some mod points for the winners... please post here to receive them! Posts to congratulate the winners are also welcome. :)
11-02-2010 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (+31)  
Good gracious! I've won an award! Such greatness be among us!

Well, my friends, I'm off to write a novel for a whole month. Hopefully, I'll have a hold out for the next awards! :)

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 11-02-2010 12:57 AM]
11-02-2010 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (+2)  
My first time attempting "Gigantic Jewel Lost" I gave up and deleted the hold because of the high difficulty.
But people on this forum kept saying "You should play this hold" and I eventually ended up giving it another try.

Well, I needed a lot of posts on the Hints & Solutions board, but I made it through to postmastery. And now "Gigantic Jewel Lost" stands out as one of the most entertaining, and memorable holds ever, and beating it ranks among my proudest DROD accomplishments.

If you're struggling, just post for a hint and we'll be glad to help you out! ;-)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-02-2010 at 04:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Hearty congratulations to all the very worthy winners - you all thoroughly deserve the accolades. :thumbsup

but may I say that I think congrats - and grateful thanks - should also go to CSR for running this competition. A lot of time and effort went into it and that is much appreciated.

11-02-2010 at 10:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (+30)  
disoriented wrote:
My first time attempting "Gigantic Jewel Lost" I gave up and deleted the hold because of the high difficulty.
But people on this forum kept saying "You should play this hold" and I eventually ended up giving it another try.

Well, I needed a lot of posts on the Hints & Solutions board, but I made it through to postmastery. And now "Gigantic Jewel Lost" stands out as one of the most entertaining, and memorable holds ever, and beating it ranks among my proudest DROD accomplishments.

If you're struggling, just post for a hint and we'll be glad to help you out! ;-)

Hear, hear! I also think something a bit similar can be said for mastering Complex Complex. Not very many have done it (I think), but I dare say it's a rewarding feeling (was for me at any rate).

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 11-02-2010 12:44 PM]
11-02-2010 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
Congratulations to all the winners and especially for CSR for organising this.

I don't really play much any more due to other commitments so my contribution to the voting was limited by the few holds I had played.

I haven't played Gigantic Jewel Lost but seeing how I massively enjoyed Doctor E. Will's Mega Complex I'm sure Gigantic Jewel Lost is a worthy winner and when (not if) I do get back to smiting again I'm sure it will be top of my list of holds to play.

Progress - Gavin G
11-03-2010 at 10:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Big thanks to CSR for all the great work organizing this contest.

Super congrats to all the winners and nominees. There were a lot of great work to vote on this year. Super job! :thumbsup
11-03-2010 at 11:55 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (+31)  
Hmm... is this where you post to pick up your 30 rankpoints award for winning a cathegory? :shifty Well, it actually feels kind of strange winning this award after being pretty much inactive for more than a year. But thanks to everyone who voted, Complex Complex sure was an amazing project to work on.

I know I have said this before, but I promise again that I'll try to try to get back to building. It's an incredibly fun thing to do when you have the flow.

Huge congratulations to Zch and Kallor! Both of your holds list as top 10 of my all time favorite holds, and I sure hope we'll see a third colossus from you two sometime in the future. And of course, congratulations to all the other winners as well. :)

11-03-2010 at 12:35 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Well done, everybody! You deserve the rewards and fame that will come from this!

Special congratulations to BoyBlue for joining the elite of the elite: the winners of the Erik Hermansen Award for Lifetime Achievement!

Also, special congratulations to Zch and Kallor for Gigantic Jewel Lost winning four categories this year; certainly a record!

I think I speak for everyone (without spittle, unfortunately) that we enjoy your holds and would greatly appreciate even more from you! :thumbsup

EDIT: Forgot to thank CSR for managing this. You've been doing an excellent job since you started handling it. I think you're most suited for handling the Seventh. Have one of these: :thumbsup and a modpoint.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 11-03-2010 08:49 PM]
11-03-2010 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
icon Re: The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (+60)  
Well, golly. So I just pop back after several months' unforgivable absence and I've won two awards?

Thanx to everyone who voted. Looking through the list of winners, there's so much brilliant hold in there that I really feel rather honoured to form a part of it.

I am sorry I haven't been as active around here as I should have been. We have these absurd GCSE things, they keep getting in the way :?

EDIT: And to win by that narrow margin—tiebreaker and all!—well, all apologies to Rheb. But the excitement of it!

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 11-06-2010 10:37 AM]
11-06-2010 at 10:32 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Congratulations to all the winners! I agree these are some great projects.

I've awarded BoyBlue unlimited CaravelNet service (to 2015, anyway, but we can extend it further at that point if needed) for his Erik Hermansen Lifetime Achievement. :)

Thank you, again, CSR, for hosting this year's annual awards!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-06-2010 04:07 PM]
11-06-2010 at 04:06 PM
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
icon Re: The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (+30)  
Congratulations to all winners, and thanks to all voters!

Gigantic Jewel Lost was among the first five holds I picked up when I started playing TCB. I've sat on the first level ever since. Why? Because it's a good enough hold that I refuse to use the Hints and Solutions board for it. I return to it now and then when I'm feeling smart, and I look forward to the day when I see more of it.

One Step Ahead is also a good little hold. I especially enjoyed the ending. It taught me an interesting bit about goblin manipulation.

Thanks also to those who chose me for the Novice Architect's Award. CuriousShyRabbit, as a beta-tester of Penwielder's Palace, played a huge part in making a decent hold out of it and was very supportive throughout. Thanks to CSR, for both that and for running the awards. I've gone on to make Detention Complex, which I hope you all enjoy as well.

As long as I'm posting, I thought I might say: my intention is to renew my CaravelNet subscription shortly before the next game's release. Don't fear that I've vanished.

11-06-2010 at 08:07 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well done to everyone! I've only recently started tackling Gigantic Jewel Lost and wow... Thanks Zch and Kallor :)

I'd also like to thank BoyBlue specifically because his holds are definitely those of a genius at work.
11-06-2010 at 11:34 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (0)  
I'd love to hear from the last three BIG WINNERS, BoyBlue, Zch, and Kallor...

Come have a slice of this gourmet pizza before it gets cold! :pizza
11-08-2010 at 10:17 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (+3)  
I'd like to say that I'm willing to accept this award on their behalf....
11-08-2010 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BoyBlue
Rank Points: 547
icon Re: The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (+60)  
Okay, okay... I think I'm around here somewhere.

My thanks to mrimer, to CuriousShyRabbit, to the countless virtual dungeon roaches and their associates who gave their virtual lives to make this moment possible, and to everyone who is not thanked in this sentence.
11-09-2010 at 04:32 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
BoyBlue wrote:
Okay, okay... I think I'm around here somewhere.

My thanks to mrimer, to CuriousShyRabbit, to the countless virtual dungeon roaches and their associates who gave their virtual lives to make this moment possible, and to everyone who is not thanked in this sentence.
I'm a teapot.
11-09-2010 at 07:14 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kallor
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 277
icon Re: The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (+121)  
Thanks everyone for their votes and kind words!

Keep on creating more great puzzles :)

- Kallor

11-09-2010 at 08:44 AM
Zch
Rank Points: 503
icon Re: The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (+127)  
Congratulations to all the winners. :thumbsup

Thank you for CSR for organizing this competition, and all the people who play our holds.
11-09-2010 at 07:20 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Zch and Kallor - nothing new to add but I'd just like to extend my personal thanks. GJL is a masterpiece and having spent hours just trying to create a single room, I respect just how much work you have put into it.

As for BoyBlue, well... Utterly deserved. Consistently excellent and definitely in my top 3 favourite architects. Cheers :)
12-13-2010 at 12:54 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Sixth Annual People's Choice Awards - WINNERS! (Awards Ceremony)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com