Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Beginner's Guide to DROD (Introduction and Hold Recommendations)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741
IP: Logged
icon Beginner's Guide to DROD (+17)  
Beginner's Guide To DROD.
[updated 27/6/14]

What is DROD?

DROD (Deadly Rooms of Death) is a turn-based puzzle game (or "stepping game" if you will), about a guy with a sword, called Beethro Budkin, who kills monsters. There is an underlying story which is great in its own right and that develops through the different game versions and levels released, but knowing or following the story is not essential to solving the puzzles.

Puzzles consist of a tiled grid on which the character moves – each turn either moving to an adjacent tile, rotating (thereby turning his sword) or just waiting. Various monsters, obstacles, doors, bombs, pressure plates, trapdoors and other elements, each of which acts in a completely deterministic and predictable way, are placed on other tiles in the room. The goal in each room is to clear all the monsters in it and/or step on a conquer token. Puzzles in DROD have no memory – if you leave one unconquered and come back to it, it will revert to its original state.

At its simplest therefore, DROD is about killing monsters with your sword, and many puzzles are based around just that. However, the range and flexibility of the elements available in DROD allow you to create puzzles of enormous complexity. You may have to manipulate the movement of monsters; navigate mazes; find ways to kill monsters without using your sword; solve problems of combinatorics (opening/closing/toggling doors); work out how to keep monsters alive or reconfigure the non-monster elements in the room in particular ways (e.g. dropping trapdoors in certain patterns, moving platforms around, cutting fuses to influence the timings of bomb explosions etc). (here is a good article some different kinds of puzzles that can be implemented in DROD, with examples.)
DROD, in-effect, acts as a Turing machine on which it is possible to implement innumerable puzzles. For example, Towers of Hanoi and the 3 and 5 gallon bottle puzzle puzzle have been successfully implemented.

See here for further discussion and examples.

There are various ways to play DROD.

1.You can play DROD in order to solve the puzzles and enjoy the story.
2.You can try to optimise your solutions of the puzzles (complete them in as few moves as possible). The creators have developed a system whereby your solutions can be uploaded and ranked with other people's. In this way you can compete with other players, and watch their solutions.
3.DROD comes with a level editor, allowing you to create your own puzzles, which you can then upload for others to play, allowing you to revel in their confusion.

DROD RPG is set in the same universe as DROD and shares common elements but is an entirely different game with different gameplay. I therefore won't be discussing it here.

DROD Versions, Engines and Levels

DROD has been through several iterations, and this is a potential source for confusion. There are now 5 different engines, 5 official campaigns (levelsets, or "holds", of 25 levels or more), and a number of smaller official holds (called Smitemaster's Selections, of up to 14 levels).

Since the latest DROD engine is fully backwards compatible, I would recommend simply buying the latest engine (DROD 5.0), and playing all the holds in that version. (This is done by importing
relevant hold file into the game, and this also applies for any usermade hold you might want to play)

Here is the canonical order of the main campaigns and other holds that have come out so far:

- DROD 4: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (full campaign) was actually released with the DROD4 engine and functions as a prequel to the saga of Beethro Budkin. It follows the adventures of his grandfather, Gunthro Budkin, who gets embroiled in a war between the continents of Rasarus and Tueno. It has been designed with beginners in mind and is an ideal entry point to DROD.

- Smitemastery 101 (Smitemaster's Selection) is a small hold in which Beethro Budkin gets trained in the fundamentals, and is also aimed at beginners.

- King Dugan's Dungeon (full campaign) - This is where it all began, where we first meet Beethro Budkin, professional smitemaster, tasked with clearing out King Dugan's Dungeon. Earlier versions of the hold can be downloaded for for free here, but this version has been updated with more features, secrets and voice acting.

Recently, a remake of this hold has been made in Flash, so you can play it in your browser for free without having to download anything. This version also contains some bonuses, such as extra rooms and challenges.

- Journey to Rooted Hold (full campaign) - this was released along with the DROD2 engine. Here the saga of Beethro Budkin continues as he uncovers the underground Rooted Empire, and sets off down the High Path to uncover the headquarters.

- Perfection, Beethro's Teacher and Master Locks are Smitemaster's Selections that detail Beethro's adventures along the High Path. These are recommended for more experienced players, although Master Locks comes in two versions, easier or harder.

- The City Beneath (full campaign) is the third main hold and was released with DROD3. Beethro finally reaches the headquarters of the Rooted Empire and tries to get to the bottom of it all.

- Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom, Suit Pursuit and Finding the First Truth (Smitemaster's Selections) follow up on the revelations of The City Beneath and bridge the plot to its thrilling conclusion...

- The Second Sky (full campaign) is the epic conclusion to the saga and has been released with the latest engine, DROD5. Find out what the Empire has been up to and what the Grand Event is. This is the biggest and best version yet and contains not only new elements and monsters, but improvements and expansions to graphics, soundtrack and user interface.

There are also a number of non-canonical Smitemaster's Selections to play, including Beethro and the Secret Society and Halph has a Bad Day (packaged as Halph Stories), Complex Complex (which accompanies Suit Pursuit) and Flood Warning (released free with the full version of Gunthro and the Epic Blunder).

But, and here's where it gets even more fun, because DROD comes with a level editor, many people have made and released user-made holds. These can be found here, in a list that you can sort by release date, architect, difficulty and overall rating of goodosity. If I've counted correctly there are 477 at the time of writing, each with between 1 and 76 levels (or between 1 to 593 individual rooms).

What you can get for free.

Astute readers will have realised there's a lot you can get for free.
- DROD Architect's Edition (including the original KDD)
- KDD, as a standalone hold file
-The Flash remake of KDD (called KDD Lite, or Flash DROD) which you can play in your browser.
- Journey to Rooted/KDD 2.0 demo (comes with the DROD2 engine)
- The City Beneath demo (comes with the DROD3 engine)
- Gunthro and the Epic Blunder demo (comes with the DROD4 engine)
- The Second Sky Demo (comes with the DROD5 engine)
The demo versions of the engines come with limited graphical styles and music, but are otherwise completely unlimited.
- With the DROD5 engine you can then play every single usermade hold (currently 477 and counting) and make your own holds using all the available monsters and elements.

What you can buy, and why.

- The full versions of Journey to Rooted Hold, The City Beneath, Gunthro and the Epic Blunder and The Second Sky all excellent holds (and in getting the full versions you get all the musical and graphical styles)
- The Smitemasters Selections (all good, as discussed above, occasionally very difficult)
- CaravelNet membership. This enables you to upload your room solutions to the net, allowing you to compete with others and watch their solutions. It also lets you download and rate holds and chat in-game and on the Caravel Forum. See the FAQ for further information.
- Deadly Music of Death, the complete soundtrack to DROD:AE, DROD:JtRH and Flash DROD.

Which holds should I play?

This is a tricky question – you want to play holds that are good, but also not too hard to start off with. The problem is, there are a lot of not very good, if easy, holds, whereas a lot of the best holds are very difficult.

You can see discussions on this topic here (in particular see Ezlo's comment), and here

One thing you may want to do is arrange the list of available holds in reverse order of difficulty – but there's a lot of dross there I wouldn't really recommend.

So here are my suggestions for a beginner to DROD (in a rough order in which you might want to play them). For some hold architects, you can click on their name to see other holds they've made.

- DROD Learning Zone (by Larrymurk) is a hold written specifically for beginners (and with kids in mind too). It covers a lot of the basics very simply and enjoyably. It is completely impossible to get stuck or die, making it very easy, but it also means that there is no challenge involved whatsoever.

- Tutorials – DROD 2, 3, 4 and 5 (full versions and demos) come with in-game tutorials that cover the basics (these aren't separate downloadable holds). These are quick, easy and well worth playing. There are a few user-made tutorials too: DROD Tutorials by Nillo, Zohnin's Tutorial and Zohnin's Tutorial 3.0 are probably the best ones to have a look at, although you may just want to start playing some non-tutorial holds.

- KDD was the original DROD hold, so it starts very basic, and could act as a good introduction. The other bonus here is that with Architect's edition you can play all 25 levels for free and there are many excellent rooms throughout. The downsides are that it doesn't have much in the way of story, has no speech and is restricted to the elements and monsters of DROD 1. Also, being the first ever hold, it lacks a lot of the refinement that comes with later holds, as people realised what made a clever and enjoyable puzzle. Lastly, the difficulty curve is quite uneven at times.

However, the new Flash version of DROD remedies some of these problems by redesigning some of the rooms and levels, uses DROD 3-era graphics, adds speech, is playable in your browser without download and includes all new bonus content, secrets, challenges and achievements. So this is a great starting point.

- Another good place to start (or go next) would be the demos for JtRH, TCB, GatEB and TSS (going on to play the full games if you wanted to, felt experienced enough and wanted to pay for it). These holds are of excellent quality and contain voice acting and the canonical DROD story, however they can get pretty tricky and frustrating in later levels. In particular, GatEB is designed with DROD novices in mind - there's a smoother learning curve, and hub-style levels make it possible to attempt challenges in any order you want.

-Smitemastery 101 is a hold I made with beginners in mind, that starts off very easy and gradually gets harder and includes a lot of explanation of how things work. It's a Smitemasters' Selection, so you have to buy it. On the plus side it means it's looked over and polished by the official team and includes speech (and a song!)

- Odd Jobs Novice is an excellent hold by Larrymurk that offers a set of odd jobs for you to complete, in any order. Once you've managed that, there are Medium and Expert versions of the same puzzles in separate holds.

-Aurora's Palace is another hold of mine. It only uses the basic elements of DROD 1 (AE) and contains plenty of hint scrolls. It therefore should be quite accessible for beginners. (There's a Let's Play if you're curious or stuck)

- Advanced Concepts. I can't recommend this one enough – it's invaluable. This is a compilation of a levels by me and some of the best architects in the community. Each level concentrates on a different element/monster (e.g. Brains or speed potions), explains how they work through a number of tutorial-style rooms and gives you a few rooms to practice out your new knowledge. There are also a number of additional challenge rooms as well. I'd try this one out after you were happy with the basics of DROD after playing one of the other holds first.

- Advanced Concepts 2 has come out more recently, and covers a range of new topics, including tarstuff and wraithwings. It's harder to complete than the first Advanced Concepts, so should really come later.

- Mysteries of the Deep is a fairly under-rated hold by Jeff_Ray, that has a tutorial style structure, as in it starts easy and gets harder with each level, with plenty of explanation of how elements work. Overall it's very good, and has a lot of excellent puzzles. Downsides are the odd frustrating room, odd story and not very good English.

- In The Research Facility and Dan's Dungeon are large tutorial-style holds which aren't entirely comprehensive are are definitely well done and fun to play. Shendy's other hold (Lost in a City) is also worth checking out.

- Sandtrap by Tokyokid is a hold I discovered only recently by looking through highly rated easy holds. It's a number of pretty good, not too hard puzzles arranged in a maze. Fun. In a similar vein, try:

- Population Density by Ravon, which is another hold of interconnected rooms, that's not too hard.

- Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold by Sergenth is a very popular and well done hold with a good story and lots of original puzzles. Also not too hard.

- Loony Labyrinth, by zzyzx is a really good hold. It's a massive maze of rooms. A bit harder than some of the aforementioned holds. You may want to play it in the original Architect's Edition (having a newer edition allows for some spoilers).

- Compass Point is a short and clever hold that puts a new spin on how you solve DROD puzzles. It's by Robobob3000, whose other holds are definitely worth checking out too.

- The DROD community holds annual awards for good holds and architects, called the Annual People's Choice Awards (or Deadlies). You can find a complete list of all the categories, and winning architects and holds here. Looking at the winners of these awards is a good way to find good holds to play.

These awards include the Erik Hermansen Award for Lifetime Architectural Achievement which has been awarded to:
Larrymurk (a couple of whose holds I've mentioned), Doom, me, Boyblue, Rheb and Chaco. These architects' holds are all excellent, but can get very difficult. I suspect that holds by BoyBlue and Rheb would be way too hard for a beginner, but are highly recommended once you're more confident.

Of Doom's holds I'd recommend Simon's Dungeon , Spider Well and Nightmare Dungeon as being more suitable for beginners.

- Easy or Hard and Odyssey are a couple of easy Larrymurk holds that are worth playing.

- Chaco's Hold is a good example of, well, one of Chaco's holds and is well worth playing.

- Tim is another great architect who has made a few holds, each based around an individual element or monster. Simplicity is a minimalistic roach-only hold, while Tunnel Vision revolves around tunnel-based puzzles.City of Queens (roach queens) and Penthouse (snakes) are much harder.

- Other excellent holds, that may be suitablefor a beginner and come recommended are Phil's Dungeon by Kevin, Treasure Hunt by Oneiromancer, Veere's Dungeon by Sim and Mark's Penultimate Dungeon by Funk (whatever happened to Mark's Ultimate Dungeon?)

Other architects who have made some amazing holds are: Dischorran, Calamarain, Jutt, TScott, zch and kallor. The only reason I've not gone through their holds above is that, on the whole, their holds are much (sometimes much, much) harder.

If you're interested in my holds (some hard, some easy), click here

drODDITIES

There are a lot of interesting things that can be done with the DROD engine. Here are a few examples.

DROD 3 made it possible to change the player role, so you can now make rooms where you play as a roach or a goblin, rather than Beethro. Imperial Wandering by Chaco is an excellent example of this – you play as a Tar Technician (a character with no sword). In Flight of the Fegundo by brian_s you play as a Fegundo - a flying creature that can't be killed by monsters.

not dr0d 2 by Tahnan, is an excellent set of original word puzzles implemented in the DROD engine. As the name suggests it's not really DROD.

The Goblin is another of my holds, which I mention because it involves another subversion of standard DROD puzzles – only one of the rooms in the whole hold has a monster in it.

The Palace of Puzzles by VortexSurfer, The Sunken Pyramid and Under the Mountains both by RuAdam all involve classic non-DROD puzzles and mazes implemented in DROD.

geomatrx has made a series of vast, non-linear holds that fuse the gameplay of DROD with that of Metroid. They are: MetDROiD, MetDROiD Prime and MetDROiD Echoes

If you need help... (in-game)

There are a number of useful features in-game. Pressing F1 will bring up the help documentation, which includes backstory, controls, explanations of how monsters and elements work and gameplay tips.

Right clicking on a tile will tell you the elements on that tile, and the movement order of the monster on it.

Left clicking on an orb or pressure plate will show you the door(s) it is associated with and whether it opens (green), toggles (amber) or closes (red) it/them. Conversely, clicking on a door will show you which orbs or pressure plates affect it (in DROD 5). Left-clicking on a tunnel will show you where it connects to, on a bomb will show you the explosion radius, and a stalwart will show you who or what he is targetting.

F6 will bring up the demo screen, where you can export your own solutions, import others' or download others' from Caravelnet.

If you need help... (in the real world)

The DROD community is generally very helpful and well-informed.
If you have a general question like "When's the next Smitemaster's Selection coming out?", "What's Beethro's middle name?" or "How do Serpents move?", then the General Board is probably the best place to go.

However, if you need to ask about a particular room in a particular hold, go to the Hints and Solutions Board and click on Get Help for a Room. You can then select the hold, level and room you're stuck on and you'll be taken to previous hints and solutions that have been given for that room (or if they're none, it'll open a new thread where you can ask for help).

There are also a number of Let's Plays on youtube showing people playing the official levels, as well as some usermade ones too. These include: Pearls, Alex Diener and Crazy Canuck

Finally, questions about Architecture (i.e. the creation of new holds) are best asked on the Architecture Board, where you can also beta-test holds in production.

Hope this all helps or suggests new things for people to try.
Comments, additions and criticisms welcome.

Enjoy.

Quick Links: Beginner's Guide | Play in Browser | Game Information and Downloads | Holds | Building | Stories | Mods | Forum.

[Last edited by Jacob at 06-27-2014 05:47 PM]
02-15-2009 at 05:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: Beginner's Guide to DROD (0)  
Very well! I think you spent a lot of time for it, but wow, it is a good guide.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
02-15-2009 at 06:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Do people think it would be a good idea to insert a list (could be in a secret box for space and to avoid spoilers) of all the elements and monsters and how they work?

It does not have to get into the nitty gritty of movement rules, but would provide enough info for the beginner

E.g. Roach - Moves directly towards Beethro each turn.
Goblin - Moves towards Beethro each turn while trying to avoid his sword.
Orb - linked to a yellow door/doors. Hitting it will toggle/open/close that door/doors.

02-15-2009 at 06:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
I think yes.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
02-15-2009 at 06:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Beginner's Guide to DROD (+1)  
This is an excellent guide, Jacob!

You might want to add:
* A link to mrimer's post which says you have to own a registered copy of JtRH and a CaravelNet subscription to play JtRH in TCB. Just in case someone thinks that you can get everything if you buy only TCB.
* A link to the CaravelNet FAQ, which describes all the nifty stuff it includes.

No, I don't think your guide should include element descriptions. A new player will easily see what a roach does when they walk into the first KDD room with a roach. That's not the part new players need help with. They want to know what to do when you walk into a room with 50 roaches coming from all directions. By playing good easy holds first, and working up to harder ones, new players will gain enough experience to deal with that situation. Your suggestions of what holds to play is much more helpful in this regard.

If you'd like to expand your guide, I think a section on how to get more information and help might be appropriate. You could include in-game information, like left clicking on orbs, right clicking on monsters in TCB, and right clicking to get coordinates in both TCB and JtRH. You could include information about how to use Get Gelp for a Room in H&S on this site, and failing that, how to find hints topics with the forum search function. And then there are all those newbie questions about demos, how to import and watch them, why DROD won't import some demos.
02-15-2009 at 06:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Thanks, good ideas.
Will start encorporating them soon.

02-15-2009 at 06:58 AM
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
I'd also point out that there's a remastered version of King Dugan's Dungeon available as a Smitemaster's Selection or (nonoptimally) a DROD 2.0 engine full release.

And I personally think a mention of one or more of the MetDROID holds couldn't hurt under DRODdities. (Though I suppose they're not necessarily newbie friendly - didn't stop me from trying MetDROID Prime, though. Neat stuff.)
02-15-2009 at 07:41 AM
Jacob
malkav11 wrote:
I'd also point out that there's a remastered version of King Dugan's Dungeon available as a Smitemaster's Selection or (nonoptimally) a DROD 2.0 engine full release.

Have done already, including a link.

And I personally think a mention of one or more of the MetDROID holds couldn't hurt under DRODdities. (Though I suppose they're not necessarily newbie friendly - didn't stop me from trying MetDROID Prime, though. Neat stuff.)

Yeah, had thought about doing that. Think I will, though I agree they're not necessarily great for beginners.

02-15-2009 at 08:11 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Great stuff, Jacob! Anyone think this should be a sticky?

If we're aiming this guide at total beginners, then I think we need to consider strategically where we'd place our links to it to catch as many newbies as possible. There's no point having a guide if the target audience can't find it! I'd say we should put at least one very obvious link at each possible point of entry into DROD; off the top of my head, these would be:

Inside the DROD help file.
On the forum welcome thread first post.
On the DROD.net site front page (or integrated into the "What is DROD?" page.)
Somewhere, e.g. here on the Caravel site.
Possibly in the forum FAQ first section
Possibly on (or incorporated into) external DRODistic articles, e.g. this Wikipedia article.

What do you think? I (still) have site editing access, so I could start with that if anyone thinks it's worth it.

02-15-2009 at 11:30 AM
Jacob
Thanks Westley.
I had uses such as these in mind and was hoping that some official admin-y type person would take this page and run with it.

I'm still to add in a section of how to get help if you are stuck in DROD (F1, right and left clicking) and outside DROD (links to FAQ, how to use Hints and Solutions).

And will put in a mention of metdroid.

02-15-2009 at 11:46 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
agaricus5 wrote:
Great stuff, Jacob! Anyone think this should be a sticky?
Definitely! So many new droders have been asking what the should play first, and with the current system it is pretty hard to find the good quality easy holds. In my opinion this guide is just perfect! :)

02-15-2009 at 02:33 PM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
Quick! Get the duct tape... :)

02-15-2009 at 03:44 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
*Wraps duct tape around thread and tapes it to the board.*
02-15-2009 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
agaricus5
I'd like to help, but could an admin enable some kind of editing access for me on the site? At the moment, Matt (Ezlo) has ownership of most pages, and I can't actually do any editing!

slimm tom edited into this post:
I can only edit the welcome post by Erik, but not any of the other pages I'm afraid. You'd have to ask an admin like Schik or Mike.

Edit: Whoa! Hey!

Get your own (post)! :)

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 02-15-2009 04:08 PM]
02-15-2009 at 03:52 PM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
I would certainly recommend to explicitly mention how you can freely download the original KDD hold here and import it into TCB, which allows for playing this hold with the additional TCB features (undo, right click info, clock, etc.). Even though AE has the classic experience, the sometimes unforgiving engine may scare people away, while life can be much easier with TCB.

02-15-2009 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Wesley, sorry about that. The edit button was next to the quote button, and I accidentally clicked the wrong one. :blush
02-15-2009 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
agaricus5
slimm tom wrote:
Wesley, sorry about that. The edit button was next to the quote button, and I accidentally clicked the wrong one. :blush
No problem; I thought it was funny how my post had morphed so unexpectedly!

02-15-2009 at 04:26 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Jacob,

Did you intentionally leave out the links to my holds? If you need them, you can find them in my sig. (You can leave out the serpent holds if you want to, perhaps it would be too hard for beginners.)

agaricus5 wrote:
At the moment, Matt (Ezlo) has ownership of most pages, and I can't actually do any editing!
I haven't seen Ezlo for a while now, perhaps it's a good idea for someone else to maintain the pages?

[Last edited by Tim at 02-15-2009 05:04 PM]
02-15-2009 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Sorry Tim, you're absolutely right. I was tiring by the end of writing the post. Will definitely link to Simplicity and Tunnel Vision - the other two are probably too hard.

noma wrote:
I recommend adding a link to the Hold downloads page to this line, "With these you can then play every single usermade hold (339 currently)" along with a comment that by clicking on the headings, you can sort them, eg. difficulty/rating, release date, etc.

I appreciate everyone's comments, but people are telling me to write things I've already said.

These can be found here [here is linked to that very page], in a list that you can sort by release date, architect, difficulty and overall rating of goodosity.

(though I admit I could've made things clearer - I shall do a rewrite soon)

02-15-2009 at 05:12 PM
agaricus5
noma wrote:
Sorry about that. It was kinda buried in that section but I should have read more carefully.

I also recommend that after about a week or so, we all delete our posts that are just commentaries/recommendations (including this one) and keep this thread just for posts that further Jacob's original idea. Otherwise people looking for beginner's information may find the thread too cluttered with commentary. In fact, eventually I can see this as a locked thread. In that spirit, I have deleted my previous post and will delete this one in a few days.
Ugh. I'm not sure that's really necessary. We can convert forum posts directly to site pages if we can publish them somehow:

(e.g. http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsitepage.php?id=275860 would work if we could publish this thread).

In theory, all that Jacob needs to do is keep the article up-to-date and tidy, and this just links to the first post. None of the replies will be visible (I think).

The only problem is that I have no idea how the actual system behind publishing works. Currently only posts and threads on the site boards can be published, but maybe Schik (or someone else) could add the option for moderators to publish any forum threads onto the site; we could then link directly to said articles without having to copy them over to site boards.

Otherwise, another option would be to incorporate what Jacob has written into the "What is DROD?" page, but this will require someone to keep an eye on it and update as necessary.

02-15-2009 at 05:48 PM
slimm tom
Tim wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
At the moment, Matt (Ezlo) has ownership of most pages, and I can't actually do any editing!
I haven't seen Ezlo for a while now, perhaps it's a good idea for someone else to maintain the pages?
Seconded. I volunteer, but anyone else who's interested is also free to do so of course.
02-15-2009 at 06:06 PM
Jacob
Updated - more info, more links, Tim's holds, more Larrymurk, how to get help, MetDROiD, different ways of getting KDD (there are at least 4 - way too confusing!)

Any more suggestions (for sections, for beginners' holds?)

02-15-2009 at 08:14 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Jacob wrote:
Any more suggestions (for sections, for beginners' holds?)
I kinda missed Veere's dungeon, playing through it and Simon's dungeon was how I really got into Drod.

02-15-2009 at 08:44 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Veere's Dungeon is what I always showed new DROD players. Some of the rooms are so minimalistic, yet so tricky, that they force the player to "think DROD". Perhaps after a hint or two :)
02-15-2009 at 09:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Agreed. Veere's Dungeon's been included since the last update.

02-16-2009 at 08:18 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
The link for Simplicity links to the Architecure thread. :)

02-16-2009 at 11:46 AM
agaricus5
Okay; it's already been mentioned twice elsewhere, but for anyone who was unaware of it, you can now find this article published on the site:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsitepage.php?id=275971

Jacob, if you make any edits that you'd like to see changed on the official version, let a site editor know, and it can be updated for you.

02-16-2009 at 12:59 PM
Jacob
agaricus5 wrote:
Okay; it's already been mentioned twice elsewhere, but for anyone who was unaware of it, you can now find this article published on the site:

Jacob, if you make any edits that you'd like to see changed on the official version, let a site editor know, and it can be updated for you.

Oh, cool. I feel all official now.

Sorry to say this already, but have changed the link to Simplicity and it's probably worth taking out the line about links to my hold being at the bottom of the page (cos that refers to my sig and therefore does not appear on the page).

02-16-2009 at 05:56 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Jacob wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:

Oh, cool. I feel all official now.

Sorry to say this already, but have changed the link to Simplicity and it's probably worth taking out the line about links to my hold being at the bottom of the page (cos that refers to my sig and therefore does not appear on the page).
They should be fixed now.

02-16-2009 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
icon Re: Beginner's Guide to DROD (+8)  
Thanks.

Btw, what happened to the tutorial hold you were making?

02-16-2009 at 07:59 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Beginner's Guide to DROD (Introduction and Hold Recommendations)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com