Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : not dr0d 2: DROD Tower (More un-DROD-like puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.7/10 (27 votes)
σ 2.14
Author Name:Tahnan
Submitted By:Tahnan
Hold Name:not dr0d 2: DROD Tower
Theme:More un-DROD-like puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:39
Number of Monsters:1380
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: not dr0d 2 DROD Tower.hold (111.3 KB)
Downloaded 1713 times.
License: Other
icon not dr0d 2: DROD Tower  
My first real hold; and as you can see, it's only a "real" hold by some vague definition. But it's sure to appeal to the kind of person who gets a kick out of this sort of thing.
05-08-2008 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: not dr0d 2: DROD Tower (+1)  
Definitely not DROD, like the title says, this hold is a wonderful set of hand-crafted word puzzles. Each puzzle has a one word answer. There are multiple clues for each word, and each clue is presented in a clever, unique, and original way. Even after solving the puzzles, it's fun to keep staring at the rooms to find the other hidden clues. Complete solutions and commentary are accessible after you complete the hold.

Highly recommended for anyone who is comfortable with the English language.
05-08-2008 at 02:45 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
This is a nice little hold, even beyond my initial reaction of "Ooh, Tahnan released a hold!" It's not quite as baffling as its inspiration (not necessarily a bad thing), but it is well-crafted and easily distinguishes itself from the blitz of quality holds that have come out recently. I would not have expected word puzzles to seamlessly integrate into DROD, and at least a couple were of types that I hadn't seen before.

I'll admit to missing a few subtleties of the puzzle design as a result of the solutions occasionally telegraphing themselves, but all in all this makes for an enjoyable way to spend an evening.

05-08-2008 at 06:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I've had the privilege to watch this hold through its entire development, and Tahnan has done some great work here. The original not dr0d was very rough around the edges, and Tahnan has taken the concept and fully refined it. I believe he got the difficulty level just about right. The puzzles are challenging for sure, but all solutions will make sense in the end, provided that you've got a knack for careful observation and outside-the-box thinking.

He has engineered what will be considered one of the great breakthroughs for the future of puzzle-hunting holds in his redesign of the answer entry rooms: The Character Character. It's very cool to see them in action, and I'm anxious to see how they're reused by future architects (that is, if Tahnan doesn't mind a little bit of friendly infringement).

These puzzles were designed with the final meta-puzzle in mind - a vast improvement over the hold's predecessor in which the meta was almost an afterthought. This makes for a jaw-dropping, "I-can't-believe-he-pulled-that-off" final puzzle. Very satisfying to solve.

Tahnan's trademark wit can be found in spades throughout these rooms. Conquerers will be very appreciative of the treasure they discover at the end.

I give this hold a 10 rating, 7 brains, and 1 moose heart. Thanks for creating this.

(Edit: And don't be so modest in your hold description!)

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 05-08-2008 07:32 AM]
05-08-2008 at 07:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: not dr0d 2: DROD Tower (0)  
Conquered. Very nice hold. I especially liked the fact that I managed to miss two things:

Click here to view the secret text

Just one problem, which you may want to fix:

edit - silly me, I had just forgotten to write down an answer.

[Last edited by TripleM at 05-08-2008 01:11 PM]
05-08-2008 at 01:05 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Nice. The answer rooms were definitely an improvement. I liked the cryptogram, although it would have been nicer if there was a way to see all the lights lit up at once and if the characters were persistent. My favourite puzzle was the periodical one.

one (minor) complaint:

05-08-2008 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
Very nice! Not being a native speaker of English, I tend to struggle with word puzzles. I eventually used outside help in the form of crossword/cryptogram solving websites to get past some of the rooms

Here are a couple of room specific comments (containing spoilers):

05-09-2008 at 01:59 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I am in awe! The amount of thought that went into those puzzles must have been immense!

10 fun with 7 brains.

More please?
05-15-2008 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Thanks so much for this hold. I have never had so much enjoyment at feeling clever while feeling stupid at the same time. You know... you get stumped, work at it, finally get the answer (there's the "clever" part) and then *smack* -- the "how did I not see it sooner?" feeling hits. Most fun and satisfying! And great puzzles. I really want to know: which came first? Because wow -- the treasure room... :Notworthy

Hope to see a not dr0d 3 someday.

EDIT: Just went through The Key and now I know the answer to my question.

EDIT: And now I see that Chaco also answered. Thanks.

[Last edited by noma at 05-15-2008 08:54 PM]
05-15-2008 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
noma wrote:
I really want to know: which came first? Because wow -- the treasure room...

Spoiler contains some information about how one would solve the treasure room puzzle.

[Last edited by Chaco at 05-15-2008 08:48 PM]
05-15-2008 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
I thoroughly enjoyed this hold. Very well done... like many great holds, the only flaw is that it's over too quick.
Though I figured out most of the puzzles very quickly (needed no hints), I still felt accomplished; this hold gives you a pretty good feeling all-around, as long as you don't go on H&S.

I gave it 5.5 Brains and 10 Fun. It is much easier than RoboBob3000's not dr0d, but it's the most enjoyable unDROD-ly puzzle hold I've played (dropping The Sunken Pyramid to a close second).

12-24-2008 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kjholt
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 9
I have a question. I recently finished KDD in AE, and now whenever I try to download a new hold, it cannot be used through the edition I have. What's wrong with it? What holds can I use?
12-24-2008 at 09:33 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
If you look at the "version" listing for this hold, at the top of this page, you'll see it says "DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)". If you'd like to play this hold, you could download the free demo version of TCB from here. Then you could play any hold on the Holds board. :)
12-24-2008 at 09:39 AM
baf
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
First, thank you for putting in explanations of all the puzzles. Believe it or not, I managed to get the answer to the final puzzle while completely missing the point -- that is:

Also, one puzzle I solved by different means than what the endnotes call "the only way", but I think my way is just as legitimate:

04-20-2009 at 10:46 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
baf wrote:
Also, one puzzle I solved by different means than what the endnotes call "the only way", but I think my way is just as legitimate:
Fascinating! I didn't realize that. And of course I'm all in favor of people finding alternate paths to solutions. I'd edit that fact into the answer if I could, but I suspect that even though it wouldn't affect playability, it's not a change I'd be allowed to make. Still, kudos for finding it!

04-20-2009 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
It was really interesting voyage and I must admit I heavily based my thoughts on H&S board, and certainly I'd love to say "Thanks" to all posters out there.

Major spoilers in Secrets, so beware those who have not yet finished.

My first stop was the entrance.

My second, shorter stop, was First Interest.

Feeling The Part -

Braaaaains! was really easy for me, it was first puzzle I solved 100% by myself :).

No Free Space - was really fun.

Elementary was also really fun and enjoyable, and relatively easy.

I used a heavy spoiler (First two words) on Crypto or else I wouldn't have ever finished it. And, I have to admit, I wasn't able to do the Shift Into Third.
Unfortunately, I suck at English Crosswords :).
And then the last came, which I call Puzzle without Puzzle. Or Meta-Meta-Puzzle.

That's it. It was great fun, and pretty difficult especially for those who have learned English as their second language. I think I ranted enough :).

05-09-2009 at 12:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Rank Points: 154
He has engineered what will be considered one of the great breakthroughs for the future of puzzle-hunting holds in his redesign of the answer entry rooms: The Character Character. It's very cool to see them in action, and I'm anxious to see how they're reused by future architects (that is, if Tahnan doesn't mind a little bit of friendly infringement).

Thought I'd just mention this here, I've been working on a similar system myself. If Tahnan doesn't want to release his code for whatever reason, I'd be more than happy to release mine.

Basically a script to allow an npc to display any character of the alphabet, and a collection of scripts to allow the display of words or sentances.
05-11-2009 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Insane wrote:

Thought I'd just mention this here, I've been working on a similar system myself. If Tahnan doesn't want to release his code for whatever reason, I'd be more than happy to release mine.
As it happens, I posted the images over in Development, which seemed a sensible place to put them. I should probably put the code there as well, unless I left the hold editable by conquerors, in which case, if you want them, finish my hold. :-)

My only regret is that a "change appearance" imperative has been added to the scripting since I wrote my hold; having that would have increased my script lengths about fourfold, but would have cut the number of characters I needed to nearly 25% of what they are now. (See, e.g., this typical answer room; for each space, there are characters for A-H, I-P, Q-X, and Y-Z. To say nothing of the crypt.)

(Incidentally, there're some really lovely "digital counters" in Gigantic Jewel Lost, also done I believe with custom image characters who probably change direction to change the digit they display; those are two squares tall.)
05-11-2009 at 06:48 PM
Insane
Rank Points: 154

File: letters.zip (6.3 KB)
Downloaded 78 times.
License: Public Domain
What I did was made 4 different player roles for the NPCs, and used the "Change Appearance" imperative to change into the right role and turn to face the right direction in the same check. Therefore, I only need one NPC for every character, they're preplacable without needing any further scripting to show static text, and the ones with varying text read off "controller" variables to get the right letter.

So for the answer room, the only NPCs you'd need are: one for each letter of the password, one "input" npc with tons of "Wait for entity Player at" commands that relays 'user input' to the controller, and one controller that keeps track of the letters, relays them to the password-display-NPCs, and does the secret word check.

My only concern so far is that the script is unnecessarily huge simply because I don't have access to either arrays or better text-based functions. (Like setting a text to a string, then later storing the character at position X in the string into a different variable)

Alternatively, an array of letters that's indexable by a variable would greatly improve the script; as right now for each character you have to copy/paste the script and make it check the correct variable, one for each letter of the text. This could be a lot simpler by using, say, something like text[textID][charPos], instead of having tons of text_#_# variables like I do right now.

I haven't finished not dr0d yet, but I'm eager to look at your code and maybe use it to improve my script. I'd love to have a collection of easily-usable and universal text scripts that hold architects could add to their holds available. Maybe we can work together to make something optimal.

I've also attached the letters images which I personally used for the player roles if anybody's interested.

Edit: Having looked at your images, I must say that yours are a lot better. I didn't add numbers or symbols or anything either, although I supposed I will now. Plus the fact that yours uses the font from the game is neat too, that hadn't even occurred to me. I used Tahoma pt 12 Bolt.

Interestingly enough, you and I think the same. I used a wubba too.

[Last edited by Insane at 05-11-2009 10:57 PM]
05-11-2009 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zch
Rank Points: 503
Tahnan wrote:
(Incidentally, there're some really lovely "digital counters" in Gigantic Jewel Lost, also done I believe with custom image characters who probably change direction to change the digit they display; those are two squares tall.)

You believe correct. Those are custom image characters, and they are two squares tall because this way the 8 directions of character are enough to display all 10 digits.

Now what is this 'change appearance' that apparently would have allowed me to use 1 square tall numbers easily... sounds like cheating :)

About not drOd 2: I played it through a while ago, and I must say that it was absolutely perfect in every way. Except for this little thing. The

Other than that, everything was exactly the right amount of challenge. I got stuck a few times, and needed help. but after solving the puzzle everything always made sense. And the final meta-puzzle was awesome :thumbsup
07-06-2009 at 01:33 PM
Tahnan
Thanks, Zch! Though I'm disappointed to find there was an alternate route in that room; I thought I did everything I could to ensure that there wasn't.
07-06-2009 at 08:13 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : not dr0d 2: DROD Tower (More un-DROD-like puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com