Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Treasure Hunt (Miscellaneous puzzles with a story)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.7/10 (32 votes)
σ 2.05
Author Name:Neil
Submitted By:Oneiromancer
Hold Name:Treasure Hunt
Theme:Miscellaneous puzzles with a story
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:40
Number of Monsters:1221
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+4 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Treasure Hunt.hold (20.3 KB)
Downloaded 3851 times.
License: Other
icon Treasure Hunt  
This is my attempt to tell a story within the game of DROD.

I would like to thank all of the people who helped playtest my hold and offered useful suggestions, found trivial solutions, etc.

In previous versions a bug caused the final stairs to not end the hold. I checked immediately before uploading this hold that they were still set correctly, but if the first person to beat the final version discovers that this happened again let me know and I will send you an Anyone Edit version.

Game on!
11-17-2003 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
icon Re: Treasure Hunt (0)  
I enjoyed this hold very much Neil. Some good puzzles in here.
Specific Room Comment: Warning, may be spoilery.

Click here to view the secret text

Cool hold, I give it a 7 out of 10.
11-23-2003 at 11:28 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
The way you did it was my intended solution, what I built that part of the room around. Surviving to the end without doing it that way will be really, really hard...probably not impossible, but definitely challenge-worthy.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-23-2003 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
:angry For some reason, on my copy of this hold, again the final stairs go to Level 4, The Horde. Since this version has been downloaded 47 times I assume that some people have beaten it...is this happening to everybody? Or am I special in some way this time? As I offered in the original post, if this happens to you, I can send you a copy with Anyone Edit turned on. I might rename it so that you can have a copy with demos saved as well as a copy that can be edited. I can e-mail you the ending too. Hopefully this is just some weird bug that maybe popped up when I fooled around in the editor a bit after submitting the hold...because I did check, I really did! In the editor only, yes...but only because making one tiny change would make me have to replay the entire level over again, which I just didn't have time to do.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-28-2003 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Since this version has been downloaded 47 times I assume that some people have beaten it
I wish. I can't even beat the tar babies in the The Entrance. Obviously I'm allowing too many to spawn before I get to the orb that opens the door.

Sometimes I can't help thinking I should be playing Solitaire instead of DROD
11-28-2003 at 10:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Hey, don't worry, I've been having similar troubles with most of the other hard holds, like Clayton's and Wesley's and Urban's "The Steps" hold. It especially makes me feel dumb when so many other people beat them so quickly.

But if you are having trouble in The Entrance to Level 2, yes, you do need to take care of that serpent relatively quickly. There is a discussion about it with hints/spoilers in the Treasure Hunt topic in the Architecture forum, which might help you do it faster.

Game on,

11-28-2003 at 06:56 PM
bandit1200
As usually happens, I went back to it and waltzed through it.
11-29-2003 at 08:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
Oneiromancer - Ya, the stairs in my version warp back to the fourth level, but I don't really care if I get an editable version.

-Zmann
12-11-2003 at 08:29 PM
Oneiromancer
Thanks for the update, Zmann, but it seems like this isn't just me being stupid...when I downloaded Smallsome Swicks and played through it again the end stairs were not set correctly, so it might be the DROD install itself. Very strange...

Game on,

12-11-2003 at 08:33 PM
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
I had a lot of fun on this hold. Short enough that I was done in only a few hours, but there were some really neat puzzles throughout. :thumbsup

12-20-2003 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I'm stuck on level 4 1N. I've had a look through the architecture forum, but it seems half of the hints there were directed towards an older version of this room, and I haven't figured out exactly which order I need to be doing things here. Any hints?
02-16-2004 at 09:27 PM
Oneiromancer

Hope this helps!

Game on,

02-16-2004 at 09:34 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Treasure Hunt (+1)  
I went looking through all my imported holds this evening, and I realized something about The Vault 1S1W. This is kind of spoilery...
Edit: Looking through my demos, I found I'd used a different method to conquer Horde 1N:

[Edited by DiMono on 03-18-2004 at 09:16 AM GMT]

03-18-2004 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
DiMono wrote:
I went looking through all my imported holds this evening, and I realized something about The Vault 1S1W. This is kind of spoilery...

Your initial solution was my intended one. In fact...
Congratulations on solving it that way...I never tried to do it myself, although I thought it could be possible.

As an historical note, Eytan was able to solve the room in testing using the mimic in the bottom part of the screen. I tried to prevent that from being the solution by adding a few extra walls (the ones that stick out to the West). If you want another challenge, try to use the mimic to kill the tar mother...although I do think that it might be impossible now.

Edit: Looking through my demos, I found I'd used a different method to conquer Horde 1N:

Well, good job on that too. It seems like your solution wasn't so trivial (correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm not too keen on making any more changes to that room, so I won't. Since this seems to be one of the more asked about rooms for this hold, it's good that there is an alternate solution.

Game on,

03-18-2004 at 04:53 PM
cchittleborough
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32

File: TH-TombVault-1S1W-65moves.demo (735 bytes)
Downloaded 136 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Treasure Hunt - Tomb Vault 1S1W (+1)  
It is still possible to enter Tomb Vault 1S 1W from the bottom left and use the mimic to kill all the monsters. I've attached a demo.

In fact, that's the only way I could do this room. I tried every way I could think of to get past the tar, but always died. If it is still possible to do this in the current version of Treasure Hunt, I would love to see a demo. If it is not possible now, please tell me and put my mind at rest :?.

By the way, having finished Treasure Hunt, let me thank our local Sandman for a wonderful hold!

08-13-2004 at 05:08 PM
Oneiromancer
This room shouldn't have changed...unfortunately, my DROD was corrupted a while back and I never re-solved the rooms to get demos. Not that a demo would have done much good anyway...

Thanks for the kind words!

Game on,

08-13-2004 at 05:32 PM
Oneiromancer
I just realized that you probably read some previous posts and knew how you were supposed to do it, but never did. I was able to re-play the room but I still have corruption issues with exporting demos...I just need to totally reinstall it...but the way I did it is:

Game on,

08-13-2004 at 07:05 PM
cchittleborough
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
Ah-huh. Yep, I can now do Tomb Vault 1S 1W in the intended way.

That manoeuvre works suprisingly well against brainy tar babies. I learnt it just recently while doing Claythro Tower.

"Anyway, thank-you-for-having-me-at-your-party, Mister Dreamy.
I had a lovely time."

08-15-2004 at 07:00 PM
Oneiromancer
cchittleborough wrote:
"Anyway, thank-you-for-having-me-at-your-party, Mister Dreamy.
I had a lovely time."

Ahahaha, that's the little Chaos girl with the balloons at the end of Season of Mists, right? Glad to hear from a fellow fan. I've met Neil Gaiman twice, posted about it a long time ago somewhere on the Anything forum I think.

Game on,

08-15-2004 at 10:40 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Nice hold. This is the first completed for me though (I'm trying to go in chronological order), so nothing to compare to yet. Many tar puzzles and pit trap puzzles, which is good because I like them. I didn't like the wraithwings room in the Horde level but then again, I never liked wraithwings anyway :) The hardest room was the one with the spiral snake and the queens. I did kill the stuff in the Vault 1S1W with the mimic, thinking it's the right way to do things. The coolest rooms were the one with the many-eyed mutant tar, and the one with the pit-traps and switching yellow doors in the Vault. Also, I completed one of the secret rooms, but the other was too much for me... never was that good at effeciency and it looks like a 10K moves room, and you probably need to use them eyes to hide behind and stuff. Overall, I liked the story and the hold. Thanks for building it.

03-22-2005 at 10:05 PM
Oneiromancer
I actually might have taken care of the "trivial" solution in my Refurbished version of Treasure Hunt (taking advantage of scripting in JtRH), but I can't remember right now. So the story is slightly enhanced even!

As for having trouble with the second secret room...I always solved it by killing most of the eyes at the top while I was waiting for the serpent to clear out...in fact, maybe even all of them in order to wake all the eyes at the bottom to just get that out of the way. There's definitely efficiency involved, but I'm also pretty sure it's possible to clear everything out and be waiting for the serpent to move to let the tar babies out. The hardest part is being efficient enough to get the queens. If you can't kill the queens before the tar babies are set loose, then you're definitely in trouble.

So you actually liked 1 West from The Horde? I'm glad...I thought that was one of my weakest rooms, but I guess you like tar mazes? Or maybe you just had never seen a tar maze with statues before. Well, it's not really a full maze, but it certainly was something I just whipped up really fast as filler...

Game on,

03-23-2005 at 05:57 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Umm, 1N from the Vault is what I meant by the mutant multi-eyed tar :) 1W from the horde was too easy, because obviously I made semi-transparent tar tiles long ago.

03-23-2005 at 06:27 AM
leroy00
Rank Points: 155
I suppose it is no longer chic to comment pre-2.0-engine holds, but what the heck. This was literally the very first hold I played after finishing KDD around 1.5 years ago. I got fairly disheartened in Tomb Raider (L1), 1E, and when some real life things came along which greatly reduced the amount of free time that I had (basically to zero), I stopped playing. (Had there been the backspace thing in 1.6, I might have finished it back then.) In anticipation of receiving my JtRH CD, I cranked up AE again after a long abstinence and finally finished the hold. The hold was really great, probably the most compact hold (i.e. good puzzles without filler to speak of) I have played thus far. (To be fair to all other architects, I've only played a small fraction of all holds.) It was quite a few degrees of difficulty higher than KDD and had me saying some choice words quite often.

Perhaps interesting: I finished KDD without ever really figuring out the exact snake movement; I just tried to "feel my way through" the puzzles, which of course made for a poor efficiency. Though I read the monsters page of DROD.net at some time (which was much more spoilerly then than it is now), I quickly forgot the algorithm, specifically whether the movement preference was absolute or relative (i.e. "turns north" or "turns right"). Playing The Horde, 1E forced me after many failures to take notes on the snake movement and figure it out. I guess I am a better person for having done that room. The other snake rooms in the hold also cost me oodles of time. It took me very many tries to get the timing in Vault, 1N 3W correct. I wanted to make a more concrete commentary of the individual rooms, but I seem to have lost my notes somewhere. Sorry! I liked the story and the way the matching level layout between Raider and Escaper added to it quite a bit. My heart fell into my shoes when I saw the last level (after having thought Escaper was the last one) was named "The Horde", but it wasn't as much an unforgiving efficiency test as I was expecting. Thanks for building the hold and letting us play it (well, I guess that goes without saying).

On another note, I am not sure if this is exaggeration:
DiMono wrote:
Short enough that I was done in only a few hours....
but it does have me wondering if I should not also rather stick to solitaire. I guess practice makes perfect.

-leroy

05-30-2005 at 09:38 AM
Oneiromancer
Thanks for the compliments!

leroy00 wrote:
My heart fell into my shoes when I saw the last level (after having thought Escaper was the last one) was named "The Horde", but it wasn't as much an unforgiving efficiency test as I was expecting.

The real efficiency test on that level is the secret room. (There's also a secret room on Tomb Escaper if you haven't found it.)

I have actually somewhat upgraded this hold for 2.0 (some of the beta testers for JtRH even got a copy)...I added a checkpoint or two on trapdoors, fixed an unintended solution (I think), added some speech scripting in various places, marked some rooms as secret, and tidied up the story a bit. But then there were the issues with upgrading AE holds on the forum, and I didn't really want people to lose their high scores, so I kind of let it fall by the wayside.

Game on,

05-30-2005 at 04:57 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Lots of fun.

my negative comment is that I don't like rooms with open borders that can't be exitted, rooms that can be entered from any side, and rooms that have to be solved from specific entrances.

Enough negativity. The hold is very good and I certainly recommend it to all. Fine effort :smile
07-09-2005 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Just played through this hold. Had a good time with it, particularly the Tomb Vault level.

I'd complain about the minor issues with certain rooms (most notably Horde rooms with no walls and no exits...almost), but the hold is old enough and I suspect that Oneiromancer has heard it before anyway.

I give it a 7 with 5 brains of difficulty.

Josh

12-20-2006 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
jbluestein wrote:
I'd complain about the minor issues with certain rooms (most notably Horde rooms with no walls and no exits...almost), but the hold is old enough and I suspect that Oneiromancer has heard it before anyway.

<snap>

No, not really. Yeah, I won't be doing that anymore, unless I re-make this hold yet again. ;)

Game on,

12-20-2006 at 10:48 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Oneiromancer wrote:
jbluestein wrote:

<snap>

No, not really. Yeah, I won't be doing that anymore, unless I re-make this hold yet again. ;)

Incidentally, I'm going through Treasure Hunt Master Quest and thoroughly approve of the remake.

Except for that room on Treasure Vault with all the rock golems. <shudder>

12-21-2006 at 11:25 AM
bandit1200
Heh, you got me interestd in this one again so I restarted this original incarnation tonight. If I remember correctly, I could never manage to complete The Vault when this hold was first released, but I managed to get straight through this time.

I just had a quick skim through both this thread and the original architects forum thread, and I see no mention anywhere that Tomb Escaper, 1W can be done without using all of the mimics. Don't tell me I am the first to ever notice that. Or am I just being silly and that's how it was intended?
12-22-2006 at 06:56 PM
Oneiromancer
Hmmm...I guess I see how it can be done with leaving one behind, yeah. I don't recall anyone ever pointing that out to me before, so looks like you found a challenge there. :)

Game on,

12-23-2006 at 06:54 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Treasure Hunt (Miscellaneous puzzles with a story)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com