Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Clock using game elements
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jutt
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 863
IP: Logged

File: Game Element Clock.zip (39.5 KB)
Downloaded 417 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Clock using game elements (+9)  
This TCB clock I made with the idea to use the game elements to show what happens when. It's like a small piece of the game area where you can see all relevant things happen. Thought it was quite a nifty idea.

- The serpents in the clock show their horizontal/vertical movement preference.
- Watterskippers are spawned whenever the serpent heads are on the trapdoors.
- Roach and waterskipper spawn are both visible on the clock.
- Counter included, both digital and analog.

Well, see for yourself how you like it.
Comments, suggestions etc. are welcome.

09-12-2007 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Clock using game elements (0)  
I had thought of something like that.

What I hadn't thought of was that AE's graphics are free to use and that you can make 8-bit copies of water skippers.

Very very good job.

09-12-2007 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
That's superb! I love the half roach/skipper as they leave :)

Excellent work... I've switched to this clock for now to see how it works for me. Definitely the most artistic clock I've seen.
09-12-2007 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
How do I replace my old boring watch with this new one?

09-22-2007 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Clock using game elements (+2)  
Snacko wrote:
If you want to REPLACE the old one with this one, simply replace clock1.png and clock2.png found in \Data\Bitmaps\ with the two found in the attached zip file. In this case, it might be a good idea to backup the original images just in case you need them again.

It is also possible to use more than one clock simultaneously, allowing you to switch between them by clicking on the clock while playing.

To do this, rename the two .png files attached in this thread to <clockname>1.png and <clocname>2.png (where <clockname> is whatever you want, but it does need to be the same for each image), and place them in \Data\Bitmaps\. Then, in drod.ini, replace the line that says "Clock=Clock" with "Clock=<clockname>;Clock".

09-22-2007 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Rank Points: 307
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Snacko wrote:
If you want to REPLACE the old one with this one, simply replace clock1.png and clock2.png found in \Data\Bitmaps\ with the two found in the attached zip file. In this case, it might be a good idea to backup the original images just in case you need them again.

It is also possible to use more than one clock simultaneously, allowing you to switch between them by clicking on the clock while playing.

To do this, rename the two .png files attached in this thread to <clockname>1.png and <clocname>2.png (where <clockname> is whatever you want, but it does need to be the same for each image), and place them in \Data\Bitmaps\. Then, in drod.ini, replace the line that says "Clock=Clock" with "Clock=<clockname>;Clock".

Is this possible to do with a Mac?

09-23-2007 at 09:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
hartleyhair wrote:
Is this possible to do with a Mac?
I really can't see why it shouldn't - you probably have to look in your home directory for a ".drod<something>" directory to find your ini file, similar to the Linux version.

np: Kid606 - Sugarcoated (Resilience)

09-23-2007 at 10:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
Briareos wrote:
I really can't see why it shouldn't - you probably have to look in your home directory for a ".drod<something>" directory to find your ini file, similar to the Linux version.
Not quite. It's harder for the typical Mac user to view "hidden" files and folders than for the typical Linux user. So drod.ini can be found in "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Caravel/drod-3_0/drod.ini". The png files need to go wherever DROD itself is installed. But yeah, other than finding your existing Data/Bitmaps/ directory and drod.ini file, the procedure is the same on all platforms. (And by the way, on Linux the user-specific files are in ".caravel/drod-3_0/".)
09-23-2007 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
schep wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Not quite. It's harder for the typical Mac user to view "hidden" files and folders than for the typical Linux user. So drod.ini can be found in "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Caravel/drod-3_0/drod.ini". The png files need to go wherever DROD itself is installed. But yeah, other than finding your existing Data/Bitmaps/ directory and drod.ini file, the procedure is the same on all platforms. (And by the way, on Linux the user-specific files are in ".caravel/drod-3_0/".)

Hmmmmmm. Well, I've had a fiddle around with the file and it appears that I need to put the Clock files into the DROD application itself. That can't be right. I have tried adding a new location to the DataPath.txt file, and this hasn't worked (clicking the clock crashes the game).

09-23-2007 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
hartleyhair wrote:
schep wrote:
Briareos wrote:

Hmmmmmm. Well, I've had a fiddle around with the file and it appears that I need to put the Clock files into the DROD application itself. That can't be right. I have tried adding a new location to the DataPath.txt file, and this hasn't worked (clicking the clock crashes the game).
Hmm... Yeah, you might need to open the DROD application and place mod files inside the Data/Bitmap directory or wherever.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-23-2007 10:48 PM]
09-23-2007 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
mrimer wrote:
hartleyhair wrote:
schep wrote:
Briareos wrote:

Hmm... Yeah, you might need to open the DROD application and place mod files inside the Data/Bitmap directory or wherever.

Um... excuse my ignorance, oh great ones... how can I open up the application?

09-24-2007 at 07:37 AM
Anson
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
hartleyhair wrote:
mrimer wrote:
hartleyhair wrote:
schep wrote:
Briareos wrote:

Um... excuse my ignorance, oh great ones... how can I open up the application?
Right-Click the icon of DROD: The City Beneath, and then click "properties"

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.
Click here to view the secret text

09-24-2007 at 08:04 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Anson wrote:
Right-Click the icon of DROD: The City Beneath, and then click "properties">Shortcut>Find Target
Fixed

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-24-2007 08:11 AM]
09-24-2007 at 08:10 AM
Briareos
icon Re: Clock using game elements (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:
Anson wrote:
Right-Click the icon of DROD: The City Beneath, and then click "properties">Shortcut>Find Target
Fixed
FAIL on both accounts.

This was asked for Mac OS X...

09-24-2007 at 08:59 AM
NiroZ
Briareos wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
Anson wrote:
Fixed
FAIL on both accounts.

hmmm, what is this mysterious other account?
09-24-2007 at 09:11 AM
Briareos
NiroZ wrote:
Briareos wrote:
FAIL on both accounts.

Anson's. And your fixed's.

[Last edited by Briareos at 09-24-2007 11:20 AM]
09-24-2007 at 11:20 AM
NiroZ
Briareos wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
Briareos wrote:
FAIL on both accounts.

Anson's. And your fixed's.
Ah, I thought you were referrring to, for some strange reason, the content as opposed to people.
09-24-2007 at 11:38 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Ctrl-click the application and click 'Show Package Contents' to get inside on OSX.

Though there's other places the files might go. On my system, rather than being inside the application package, they're in ~/Library/Application Support/Caravel/ ...

09-24-2007 at 05:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Many thanks! It works! Hoorah!!!

09-24-2007 at 06:51 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I am necroing this d'oh old thread with only one purpose - this is freakin' most amazing clock of them all, and seeing that I have never expressed how irreplaceable it was for my droding, I wanted to share its extensive awesomeness with casual folks and also provide a short sentence of eternal and magnificent gratitude to the creator of this blessing for his hard work.

Jutt, you are the man!

11-22-2011 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
I am 'necroing' this thread because I would like to use it in the latest version, TSS. I think making custom graphics should be easier.

08-28-2014 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
Just go to your C:\ProgramData\Caravel\drod-5_0\Bitmaps and drop the images there. :)
08-28-2014 at 04:18 PM
abe10
Murphy struck again. I found that out last night. Apparently, if you swap the pictures, they are displayed as half turns.

08-28-2014 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
abe10
I can easily confuse myself. Apparently, there are actually two separate clocks. How can I make the second clock the default half turn clock?

08-28-2014 at 04:29 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: Clock using game elements (+3)  
It's all tied back to the name you use in drod.ini. Half turns are image 1 and full turns are image 2.

The default clock is called 'Clock', so the half-turn image is Clock1.png and the full-turn image is Clock2.png. If you choose to override those files by dropping new ones in the Bitmaps directory, that's how to name them.

If you add a new clock, say 'NewClock', to drod.ini, you still need to number the files the same way. So NewClock1.png would be the half turns and NewClock2.png would be the full turns.

Interestingly, that naming scheme goes all the way back to JtRH when there was no such thing as a speed potion and just a single image named Clock2.png.
08-29-2014 at 01:04 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Clock using game elements
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com