Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : An Architects Audition (no overall theme)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.6/10 (17 votes)
σ 2.64
Author Name:Jutt
Submitted By:Jutt
Hold Name:An Architects Audition
Theme:no overall theme
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:23
Number of Monsters:179
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: An Architects Audition v04.hold (13 KB)
Downloaded 1610 times.
License: Other
icon An Architects Audition  
My first hold. Two levels with 16 puzzle rooms.
Level 1: Cycling serpents & Symmetrical Shapes
Level 2: Tarchitecture

Note: I'm not sure on what difficulty to rate this Hold.
08-11-2007 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
icon Re: An Architects Audition (0)  
Very good hold! :)
08-13-2007 at 02:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
I would utterly agree but still battling with the first level. Excellent piece of work but I'll vote once I'm done. No doubt an 8.
08-13-2007 at 03:40 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
It's an excellent hold, and particularly for a first-timer.

I give it an 8, with 7 brains of difficulty.

Josh

08-13-2007 at 04:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
This hold doesn't have enough comments singing its praises yet.

This is a very high quality (and also very difficult) hold. I both love and hate how there never seems to be just one puzzle in a room. 2N1W, for example - killing the serpents and tar is a challenge, sure, but just getting to the potion in time is its own little puzzle. And 3N is the most devious room I've played in a long while (assuming I did it right).

I don't want to rate the hold until I finish it (I gave my troops the rest of the night off to prepare for a full assault on Tarchitecture tomorrow) but I'm sure it will be very high on both fun and brains. I can't wait to see what you can build once you start using JtRH and TCB elements!
08-17-2007 at 10:17 AM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
Thanks to all for the comments. I'm glad you're enjoying this Hold.

08-17-2007 at 01:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Thumbs up from me. Great work.

All the puzzles are well thought out and, err.. puzzling.

I wish there had been more usefull checkpoints at times and some of the tarchitecture rooms seem to just have too much puzzle when I'd have preferred the puzzle(s) be broken up into seperate rooms or just made smaller.

Nice, nice job!!
08-17-2007 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
icon Re: An Architects Audition (+1)  
Almost finished, but I'll comment now anyway.
There is a fine line between making a room devilishly clever, and tricky to the point of being obnoxious. I think that line also differs from player to player, but I found 90% of the rooms were on the devilishly clever side for me. Some of my favorites:

Click here to view the secret text

Not So Favorites
Tarchitecture
1N1E - Doable, but not as much fun for me. Give me eight tar mothers, and a sea of tar to cut through. Ask me to cut tar in geometric patterns... just not my thing.
1N - [edit] After solving this I realized the room is not random, does not really require trial and error, and actually has a neat trick. I retract my former statement.

For a first hold I was very impressed. As others have said, I'd be very interested to see what you put together with access to the elements in TCB.

[Last edited by captainzakku at 09-09-2007 10:35 PM]
09-07-2007 at 02:08 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
After 2 years, I finally found time to come back and finish this hold, which is indeed a very worthy piece of Architecture.

I had stopped on Tarchitecture 1E, which, 2 years ago, was much too hard for Rabbits. I thought I would never be efficient enough to hit all those orbs on time. Now, older and wiser, I see that it's not an efficiency puzzle at all. There's plenty of time to hit the orbs. Like most of the puzzles Jutt has created since this hold, it's a thought puzzle, not a mad rush sort of puzzle. Silly Rabbit just needed to stop and figure out which orbs actually needed to be hit.
08-23-2009 at 02:24 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
When it comes to orb puzzles...Silly Rabbit, tricks are for kids.

08-23-2009 at 02:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
icon Re: An Architects Audition (+2)  
It took me 5 years but finally I can say this, I conquered this hold!
When I discovered that caravel forum had tons of user made holds I started to download them and this was the first one I downloaded and tried, I was schoked by its beauty and difficulty, I didn't complete any rooms.
Last year I finally decided to go back here since I had more experience and I started re-playing this. Even if I completed some rooms quickly I needed lots of thinking and planning to complete some others, there are brilliant and very tricky rooms.
I said all these things because I believe this hold is a masterpiece and everyone who hasn't tried this yet really missed something great. Completing the hold it's really worthy and I'm hope you had my same feeling for others amazing holds.

02-14-2013 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: An Architects Audition (+2)  
This is a fantastic AE hold and also illustrates the sensible advice of making your first hold small and full of quality rather than large and full of filler.

The first level contains some wonderfully aesthetic symmetry rooms plus some bonus art (if you can find it). Some of the puzzles are really tricky - mostly ones involving manipulation of multiple enemies at the same time.

I thought the second level was a bit weaker than the first - whilst there were also tricky rooms here, I just didn't enjoy it as much as the first level. I'm not sure why, it certainly wasn't because of the tar content though.

This is definitely worth a play if you want a decent challenge, and you can play the rooms in any order which is also a bonus.

My Rating:

Difficulty: 8
Fun: 8

Progress - Gavin G
05-09-2014 at 11:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : An Architects Audition (no overall theme) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com