Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Loony Labyrinth (Theme? What theme?)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.1/10 (43 votes)
σ 1.48
Author Name:Rob
Submitted By:zzyzx
Hold Name:Loony Labyrinth
Theme:Theme? What theme?
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:100
Number of Monsters:1061
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:10 (+10 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Loony Labyrinth.hold (42.3 KB)
Downloaded 3251 times.
License: Other
icon Loony Labyrinth  
A collection of easy, fun, moderate, busy, difficult, loony rooms for your edification, or something to that effect. Hope you like it.
03-11-2004 at 04:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
lanark
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
icon Re: Loony Labyrinth (0)  
I LOVE this hold!!

I enjoy the four room labyrinth so much, the one with the lonely trap doors.

Thanks!!

03-18-2004 at 12:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zzyzx
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
Thanks!!
:)
03-18-2004 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zzyzx
I exported and uploaded the hold this evening. I made sure the end stairs really went to to the ending, and changed the edit rights for those that complete it. Let me know if the ending stairs still don't work.

Thanks all!

-- Wow, 70 people have downloaded this thing!! :)
03-22-2004 at 05:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Atch
Rank Points: 81
I have just completed my fourth tour of the Labyrinth and can report that it now ends properly again – well done Rob.

Perhaps you could advise masonjason on how to correct the same fault in the final level of The Oversight.

03-25-2004 at 11:54 AM
zzyzx
Wish I could. All I did was click the stairs, click the 'ending' and save it out. Great that it worked...

Wow, 4th tour? I'm flattered :) What keeps bringing you back?
03-25-2004 at 06:52 PM
Atch
zzyzx wrote:
Wow, 4th tour? I'm flattered :) What keeps bringing you back?
It is a very well designed hold with plenty of variety and nothing too difficult or too simple in fact the ideal time waster I suppose. I would strongly recommend it to recent graduates of Dugan’s as an intro to Member’s holds.

Some rooms can be tackled in completely different ways with 3S the best example – I’ve only done it once the ‘hard’ way. However I learnt a trick in Ricky’s Dungeon, Level 2 about mimics on trapdoors that if applied can make the rim rooms 5W and 1S, 5W almost trivial.

03-25-2004 at 10:20 PM
zzyzx

I haven't had a chance to play Ricky's Dungeon yet. Is the trick the following?

Click here to view the secret text

Or is it something else?

btw, what does your sig mean?

[Edited by zzyzx on 03-26-2004 at 04:40 AM GMT]
03-26-2004 at 04:37 AM
Atch
icon Re: Loony Labyrinth (+1)  
zzyzx wrote:
I haven't had a chance to play Ricky's Dungeon yet. Is the trick the following?
btw, what does your sig mean?
Yes, that is the trick.

In the sig I have just put my ‘letters’ after the name.

Real name Erwin Hatch gives Atch.

LS = Legendary Smitemaster (graduate of Dugan’s) which being the more important one I have put before my other degree in Chemistry from Leeds University.

In the UK we use BSc rather than BS for Bachelor of Science and Hons indicates a degree with honours. This is something of an archaism as they were all honours degrees in my time, 1971 – 74.

03-26-2004 at 10:56 AM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Atch wrote: In the UK we use BSc rather than BS for Bachelor of Science and Hons indicates a degree with honours. This is something of an archaism as they were all honours degrees in my time, 1971 – 74.
I was at Leeds University briefly in 1972. It was to see Golden Earring play. ;) Happy days. I saw a lot of bands there.

Just to keep this on topic, I've played this one 3 times

03-26-2004 at 11:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
lanark
Finished!

Well, my favorites so far are: 3S, 4S, 2N1E, 5N2E, 3N2E (the last I did), 1S2E, 3S2E/3S3E/4S2E/4S3E, and by the means of the desingn,

I enjoy it very much.

Thank you for a beautiful and entertaining hold!! :thumbsup

03-26-2004 at 11:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zzyzx
Atch: I guess that'd make me LS BSMI(Hons) :)
BS Physics, Mi Mathematics
Lot of good it did me, now a data programmer/modeller.

Back on topic:
The only thing I know about Leeds is there is a national Armory there. (Thinking back to a program I saw on the Discovery Channel).

Back Back on topic:
I'm really buzzed that the hold is getting such a positive response. It was my first (barring at an attempt at the Five Suite Speaking Ground Competition). I just thought I would create something that I would have fun building as well as playing. That meant light difficulty with a wide variety. I hadn't played any holds besides Dugan's so I was unaware of how difficult the game could get. :) Maybe after a hold or two, i'll make something really tough. Guaranteed it won't be a 100 leveler though. I can imagine spending hours on a room to make it really difficult... Btw, was there any room in the "Labyrinth" that seemed really difficult. I am unsure of the actual difficulty of some of the rooms, having built them...
03-26-2004 at 04:41 PM
zzyzx
lanark:
Thanks! I'm sort of partial to 3N2E, the rotating snake puzzle. That room was a blast to build and test out. I'm suprised you liked the orb maze room. I was getting some ughs in the Architecture forum. :)
03-26-2004 at 04:46 PM
patmo98
Rank Points: 39
I liked the orb maze but only because you had enought checkpoints. Evry the only other orb maze I have played had zero checkpoints. That was evil! :angry

Please help me with 3N3E. I haven't gotten close to getting even one set of doors open. This is the only room not blocked by a blue door that I need to defeat.

Lastly, are the rooms like this just there for show or will you change them?
03-26-2004 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
patmo: They're not just for show, everything in this hold serves a purpose.

03-26-2004 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zzyzx
Patmo98:
3N3E

Subtle Hint:

Not-so-subtle Hint:

03-26-2004 at 09:27 PM
patmo98
zzyzx wrote:
Patmo98:
3N3E

Sorry I meant this room 3N2E my sincerest apologies.
EDIT: Never mind I finished it.

[Edited by patmo98 on 03-28-2004 at 02:57 AM GMT: Typo]
03-28-2004 at 02:10 AM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
I don't know if it's the fault of this hold or (yet) another bug in my installation of DROD, but the game spontaneously quit on me as I was going south from 3N 2E to 2N 2E and I lost my progress (all the way back to 2N 1W).

03-28-2004 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
I had that same problem... I think right around the same region of the dungeon too... was an irksome problem, let me tell you.

03-28-2004 at 07:28 PM
patmo98
masonjason wrote:
I don't know if it's the fault of this hold or (yet) another bug in my installation of DROD, but the game spontaneously quit on me as I was going south from 3N 2E to 2N 2E and I lost my progress (all the way back to 2N 1W).

I thought that that it was a problom in my drod installation bacause I also had drod crash somewhere around 3N2E. I lost all the rooms I had compleated since I had last quit drod(This was about 5 rooms since I had saved rescently). I got a message somthing like "SDL Parashoot Deployed". I am using WINXP Pro. My drod.exe was created on "Wednesday, December 24, 2003, 2:11:42 PM" and last modified on "Sunday, January 11, 2004, 5:21:14 PM". I do not know how to check my vertion number.
03-28-2004 at 08:00 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
masonjason wrote:

I don't think it is the fault of this hold. On one earlier occasion, I've had DROD crash on me, and while I can't remember which hold it happened in, I do remember that it happened when I stepped south from a room I had not completed onto a red door square in another room. It seems to be more complicated than that, though, because I've gone south from 3N2E to 2N2E without a problem.

03-28-2004 at 08:27 PM
zzyzx
patmo98:
Glad you got it. NP on the room confusion. Also, you should use two mimics in that room to hit all the orbs. But, the force arrows are diagonal, and it could be possible to do it with one (not looking at the maze, just trying to remember exactly how it was set up).
03-30-2004 at 03:07 AM
zzyzx
I have not encountered the "SDL Parashoot Deployed" error in Drod. Apparently from the posts above, it is not limited to my hold, so... Not sure what to do there, shy of passing on the notification to the dev team.
03-30-2004 at 03:09 AM
patmo98

File: LL Entrance 3N2E Victory.demo (3.3 KB)
Downloaded 105 times.
zzyzx wrote:
patmo98:
Glad you got it. NP on the room confusion. Also, you should use two mimics in that room to hit all the orbs. But, the force arrows are diagonal, and it could be possible to do it with one (not looking at the maze, just trying to remember exactly how it was set up).

Take a look at this demo, I finished this room hitting all the orbs with one mimic.
03-30-2004 at 03:59 AM
lanark
zzyzx wrote:
I'm suprised you liked the orb maze room. I was getting some ughs in the Architecture forum. :)

Well, I liked because you must learn new tricks to do it, and the second round (yes, I'm doing my second turn on your creation) is a breeze to solve, having known the correct behaviour.

Cheers!

03-30-2004 at 02:22 PM
zzyzx
Patmo98:
I finally got a chance to download the demo. Interesting. I knew it was possible, but it still looked time consuming... I was tempted to change the room to force a two mimic solution, but it's been downloaded so many times it probably wouldn't matter, and, it is cool that another solution was found. I believe based on your demo, that it would be possible to complete the entire room with two mimics instead of the four, and do most of the work with one.
04-02-2004 at 05:47 PM
patmo98

File: LL Chalenge.hold (3.3 KB)
Downloaded 100 times.
icon Re: Loony Labyrinth (+2)  
zzyzx wrote:
Patmo98:
I finally got a chance to download the demo. Interesting. I knew it was possible, but it still looked time consuming... I was tempted to change the room to force a two mimic solution, but it's been downloaded so many times it probably wouldn't matter, and, it is cool that another solution was found. I believe based on your demo, that it would be possible to complete the entire room with two mimics instead of the four, and do most of the work with one.

Take a look at this. I set the demo for this one room hold to be the victory demo for the room. This would enforce the restrictions.
04-02-2004 at 07:56 PM
Hammerite
Rank Points: 44
I don't know if you already knew about this, but it is possible for a player to get stuck in Thrice South, Twice East / Quarce South, Twice East. If the player completes the southern room and then goes north via the third exit from the east, he will be able to move between the rooms, but in each one he will be stuck inside a box. This necessitates a restore.
08-17-2005 at 05:20 PM
Syro
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
I definitely recommend this one to anyone coming out of KDD. A lot of variety with some challenging puzzles sprinkled throughout. I also loved the final puzzle.

-Syro
10-14-2005 at 06:49 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Good hold indeed.

A lot of variety in both types f rooms and difficulty. Although for the most part I found the most difficult part was navigating the hold to get to the correct entrances to rooms. So... I liked the quality rooms like 2N1E but I'm not much for all the running around (especially 5N4W to 4N1E).
10-23-2005 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Loony Labyrinth (Theme? What theme?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com