Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD virgin - where to begin?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
rogrossm
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
IP: Logged
icon DROD virgin - where to begin? (+2)  
Hi Everyone!

I am a total virgin to DROD -- never played it before. But I've downloaded a couple of the demos and love the concept, it just looks like the kind of thing I will really enjoy.

I would like to purchase one of the DROD games, to get started. Which one should I begin with?

Many thanks,
Robert the DROD Virgin
02-06-2009 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: DROD virgin - where to begin? (+1)  
Hi rogrossm.
I'd personally advise you start with JTRH. It doesn't cover all the fancy elements in DROD, but it gives you a solid introduction to the basic elements in DROD. Also excellent progression curve.
02-06-2009 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rogrossm
icon Re: DROD virgin - where to begin? (0)  
Thanks NiroZ. Why not KDD, I thought that is the first in the series? Do you consider KDD to be lower quality in some way?
02-06-2009 at 04:08 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
rogrossm wrote:
Thanks NiroZ. Why not KDD, I thought that is the first in the series? Do you consider KDD to be lower quality in some way?

KDD has less explaining of monsters than JtRH(in my opinion).

Oh, and :hi to the forums.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 02-06-2009 04:12 PM]
02-06-2009 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
mxvladi wrote:
rogrossm wrote:

KDD has less explaining of monsters than JtRH(in my opinion).

Oh, and :hi to the forums.

and you can download KDD for free. (Architect's edition)

02-06-2009 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Funny you should ask this, I've just started writing a piece for beginners to DROD - what the different engines and official holds are, the best holds for beginners etc.

Will hopefully have it written next week.

There's an interesting discussion in a topic called Holds Canon or somesuch on the General board.

02-06-2009 at 05:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
rogrossm wrote:
I would like to purchase one of the DROD games, to get started. Which one should I begin with?
I'm still kind of a newbie to the original DROD, so I'd purchased KDD to get started with—ultimately because it was the very first in the series and I'm kind of, um, anal-retentive about such things. I can't comment with any certainty that it's better than any of the others as far as a learning curve is concerned, but it hasn't infuriated me too much so far (I'm on level 22), and I'm definitely not the most gifted when it comes to the ole puzzler genre. ;)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 04-27-2010 04:07 PM]
02-06-2009 at 06:20 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
The main problem with KDD is the difficulty curve is a little bizarre (level 8 is probably three times harder than 9, for example) and the room design is less inspired than JtRH or TCB. Oh, and levels 11, 13 and (for some) 15. It's not bad by any means, it's just that the sequels overshadow it.

I would start with JtRH. Then as for the SmS holds (basically expansions) Perfection is basically essential, (but not until after finishing JtRH, it's hard) but all the others are highly recommended as well.

If you're feeling adventurous, Beethro's Teacher is an obscenely difficult hold (I've been playing on and off for 5-6 years and can only beat one room on the first level) but don't expect an easy time. TCB is harder than JtRH, and recommended after finishing it (it has tutorials interspersed throughout the earlier levels to explain the KDD/JtRH elements, but it's not quite as thorough as JtRH proper).

DROD RPG is different, not quite as essential as JtRH or TCB, but still well worth the money. And don't overlook the usermade holds, many are excellent. (is it blasphemous if I say some are even better than the 'main' holds?)

(I like to use parentheses, it seems)

02-06-2009 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Pinnacle wrote:

(So do I, but I think I may be the only one who uses em dashes.) :look

[Last edited by Lamkin at 02-06-2009 07:37 PM]
02-06-2009 at 06:26 PM
rogrossm
Well I tried the demo of both and JtRH is fantastic, I think this game is going to be excellent. Thank you all and have fun everyone:)
02-06-2009 at 09:55 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Lamkin wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

(So do I, but I think I may be the only one who uses em dashes.) :look
I guess you're right — that's pretty unusual.
I'm done derailing — I promise.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 02-06-2009 10:13 PM]
02-06-2009 at 10:12 PM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
KDD really isn't that great of a hold. But if you want to play it, I would recommend just getting Architect's Edition (which has the original KDD) for free on this page. Then you can play it in all its 256-color glory.

KDD and JtRH both use the DROD 2.0 engine, so you don't need to get both separately. Get JtRH. AFAIK, if you want to play KDD2.0, you can just purchase the hold on CaravelNet and import it into JtRH or TCB. Or do as I suggested and play the original KDD in AE.

But I would recommend TCB if you want to buy a game. Here's why:

1. Backwards compatibility is a key component in DROD. Each game in DROD builds upon the last. Each DROD game can play holds made in any version of DROD before it. Other than the built-in title hold (KDD, JtRH, or TCB) and slight discrepancies in the experience of a hold (AE's numerous 8-bit styles are only on AE, and all songs are exclusive to their respective games), there is no reason to get an old DROD game.
With AE, a demo JtRH, and a full TCB, all you're missing out on JtRH is floors 4-25 and the music.

2. You don't need to know the cannon up through JtRH to understand the story of TCB. There are some allusions that I don't understand not having played a full JtRH, but they don't compromise my ability to enjoy TCB.

3. If you become a part of the community and participate in several contests, a full version of JtRH is available as an 8-timer prize (TCB currently is not).

4. Here's another thing if storyline is a concern to you: TCB and the TCB Smitemaster's Selections (like Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom) will better prepare you for the plot leading up to the next and possibly last DROD game, "The Second Sky."

5. Most important of all, and this is related to #1... I hope you don't plan on just playing the official title holds. KDD, JtRH, and TCB all are masterpieces - of quite considerable length, at that - but there are hundreds of user made holds, and a lot are incredible (not to mention all free).
If you just get JtRH, you will have to stick to the TCB Demo for TCB-native holds, which will force all rooms to use the ugly City style. Yes, graphics should - and do - take a backseat to gameplay, but a lot of good TCB holds also use extensive lighting and weather effects at times, and rooms with that can be garish and very distracting when viewed in the wrong style.
TCB, on the other hand, can play all JtRH holds without wrecking the experience except for one notorious hold that, as to not give you any ideas, I will keep anonymized as "a hold that revolves around a cheap-but-oh-so-clever-trick and that has a three word name containing the letter 'e' twice."

But you might want to switch to AE for the AE holds for the full experience. JtRH/TCB have new features that make away some of the challenge (read: frustration), and AE rooms in TCB/JtRH look, well, less than spectacular.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-06-2009 10:37 PM]
02-06-2009 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
You can also download KDD as a hold file for free on the holds forum.
02-07-2009 at 01:15 AM
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
I'd start with JtRH, put it and KDD in TCB or the TCB demo.

02-09-2009 at 02:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
At one point it was possible to get the revamped KDD as a Smitemaster's Selection, and doing that plus Journey to Rooted Hold (or, these days, The City Beneath) was cheaper than buying KDD first as a standalone, then getting JTRH, etc. I've been away for a while, though, so I don't know if that's still true.

For that matter, I seem to recall plans to make JTRH available in the TCB engine, and I don't remember what happened with that. (You'd probably still have to straight up buy JTRH that way, though. Not that it's not worth it. :))
02-12-2009 at 12:11 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
malkav11 wrote:
At one point it was possible to get the revamped KDD as a Smitemaster's Selection, and doing that plus Journey to Rooted Hold (or, these days, The City Beneath) was cheaper than buying KDD first as a standalone, then getting JTRH, etc. I've been away for a while, though, so I don't know if that's still true.
It's 9 USD per SmS now, but it's still cheaper than the full version of KDD 2.0.

For that matter, I seem to recall plans to make JTRH available in the TCB engine, and I don't remember what happened with that. (You'd probably still have to straight up buy JTRH that way, though. Not that it's not worth it. :))
*chooses "Journey to Rooted Hold" in TCB's hold list*

You need to both have your purchase of JtRH registered with your forum account and have an active CaravelNet subscription to download JtRH via TCB.

np: Donovan - Riki Tiki Tavi (A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Vol. 1 (Disc 2))

02-12-2009 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD virgin - where to begin?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com