Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Lost in a City (Easy puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.0/10 (25 votes)
σ 1.36
Author Name:Shendy
Submitted By:Shendy
Hold Name:Lost in a City
Theme:Easy puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:14
Number of Rooms:189
Number of Monsters:1874
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:11 (+11 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Lost in a City.hold (55.7 KB)
Downloaded 1142 times.
License: Other
icon Lost in a City  
Beethro found himself lost in a strange city and now he must escape from the city.
09-28-2010 at 03:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Lost in a City (+10)  
First!

Indeed, easy puzzles. Honestly not a bad hold, for being easy puzzles.

09-28-2010 at 09:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
PMIT
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
icon Re: Lost in a City (+3)  
Second, for what it's worth.

Pretty simple and easy combat-themed rooms that span the whole length of DROD elements. The marathon race on this hold made it pretty enjoyable, but since that was a one time only thing, I think this hold would serve as great refresher, and that could mean a good hold for someone returning to DROD after a hiatus, or just as a break from all those more challenging holds without needing to think too hard.

Good hold, but don't do it all in one sitting. ;)

Edit: Okay, the post-mastery section was similar to the rest of the hold. Even if most of the rooms here are forgettable, one thing I noticed is that they were never tedious or terribly frustrating. With a hold of this length, that's very important. Kudos to the architect for that.

[Last edited by PMIT at 09-29-2010 04:46 AM]
09-28-2010 at 11:49 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Lost in a City (+1)  
Really, what they said. Nothing breathtakingly interesting about this hold, but nothing especially wrong with it, either. Some of the rooms felt new and different, some of them felt like I'd played them before. Overall, as said above, it's a good break from mind-aching holds, and definitely a good hold for people who look at 9-brain-difficulty holds and despair.
09-29-2010 at 12:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
I liked this hold, for the most part; it was a bit on the easy side at times, but it was still enjoyable.
I thought it was novel (to me, at least) and cool to have to keep heading back to the first level in order to progress, though I'd gotten a little lost at times.
And I felt that it provided a relatively painless introduction to some of the TCB elements.
10-20-2010 at 08:26 AM
JoMax
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 65
A very enjoyable hold - my only minor gripe is that it is not possible to backtrack through the City of Lenary at some points - making a restore necessary if you miss something (hint ;) )

10-21-2010 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
Post-mastered.

PMIT said it best.
(Two sittings, in my case.)

Big and easy, but varied. I started to enjoy it around Aumtlich Territory. My least favorite part was the section of the city leading up to that level. The best part, in my opinion, was Interlude: Aumtlich's Revenge, probably because it's a less common sort of thing. I also second Lamkin's point about having one central level--I think TCB was actually intended to be like this to some extent--though it might have been better if it were less linear.

Overall, I had fun. As they said, it's a nice break.

11-12-2010 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Post-mastered.

I had fun playing this hold. I think it's a good example of a fun easy-difficulty hold. It mixes together somewhat cliché puzzles with the elements from AE through to TCB, but there are some very original puzzles in here too.

--

I would like to draw attention to my (currently #1) high-score in Palace of Mirrors 6S as an architectural example of how important it is to design force arrow traps with redundancy, since the traps don't *quite* work and I pretty much cracked the room open like an egg with my solution.

12-05-2010 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
This is a large hold with fairly easy rooms increasing slightly in difficulty as you progress through the hold. This would be an excellent hold for a novice player as it features a number of levels based on a different game element, although some of the rooms in the Aumtlich level could prove challenging.

I liked the way you progressed around the main hub level whilst having to clear the puzzle levels in order to progress further.

The story was okay, the highlight being the last few levels where you pursue the antagonist although there were a number of spelling errors as well. I thought the city didn't really feel like a city - the cafe room being the only one to really give that impression and then it felt almost tacked on to reinforce the point. Possibly could have changed the setting to something else (although that would require a change in the hold name and it doesn't change the actual gameplay itself).

Hopefully we'll see more holds from Shendy in the future.

My verdict:

Difficulty: 4
Fun: 6

Progress - Gavin G
08-25-2011 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
adS
Rank Points: 214
Very nice, not too difficult even for me :)

I really enjoyed playing this hold.

However, how anybody can create a room like Secret Level, 1S1W without a single checkpoint is beyond my comprehension.

adS

06-19-2012 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
adS
Rank Points: 214
icon Re: Lost in a City (0)  
mxvladi and myself are currently trying hard to improve the record for Palace of Mirrors 7S.

It is surprising what can be done with patience and - probably more important - an opponent who always finds a better solution.

This really fun :)

adS

07-18-2012 at 08:58 PM
Illusionist
Rank Points: 165
I must say that this was one of my favorite usermade Holds (along with Blackout). The quality of this Hold is on par with the official smitemaster selections, it certainly has the proper feel and the design.

Sure, it's not too hard, but there are still some worthy challenges, and more importantly it's extremely fun:glasses, and very creative in regards to both the storytelling, and the way you progress in-game.

I would say that this is an excellent / essential addition to the collection of any DROD fan

[Last edited by Illusionist at 09-21-2020 12:45 PM]
09-04-2020 at 07:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Lost in a City (Easy puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com