Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Flash DROD into many languages
Page 5 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon Re: Flash DROD into many languages (0)  
I am not well versed in German, but I really like the Imitat :).

04-26-2012 at 11:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
By the way, in each pad I have added "List of chars" and "Estimation time" to fill up.

Basically, if you are not using Etherpad for translation, I need a list of all the non-standard characters from your language (upper-case, lower-case and punctuation) and would like to know when can you finish the translation, more or less :). I wouldn't mind getting these character lists in advance, because I have to "draw" them by myself.

04-26-2012 at 11:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 863
icon Re: Flash DROD into many languages (+1)  
I'm making good progress on the Dutch translation so far, but I was hoping to get some input from at least one other person. I think I can manage doing all the translations, but at least a proofreader would be very welcome. Also some input/ideas on the DROD specific terminology would be nice, so I'm posting a list here with some suggested translations.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Jutt at 04-26-2012 03:57 PM]
04-26-2012 at 03:39 PM
robin
Rank Points: 842
Jutt wrote:
I'm making good progress on the Dutch translation so far, but I was hoping to get some input from at least one other person. I think I can manage doing all the translations, but at least a proofreader would be very welcome. Also some input/ideas on the DROD specific terminology would be nice, so I'm posting a list here with some suggested translations.

I can proofread if you want, I don't have that much time, but I like to help.
I'll coment later on the above translations, when I get home from work.

04-26-2012 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jutt
Thanks for offering to help, robin. Skell will probably invite you to the project soon.

On a different note, it seems I stumbled upon a nasty bug in MoPad. I'm copying each item instead of just replacing the original text with translations. This way I have English and Dutch text directly next to each other for easy reference. But now the document is getting too long and for some reason the bottom part (a few hundreds of lines) becomes invisible, which makes editing it impossible.

I'm using Firefox 11.0 on Windows. Can anyone else check if they experience the same bug in the Dutch translation pad?

04-26-2012 at 05:08 PM
skell
Jutt wrote:
I'm using Firefox 11.0 on Windows. Can anyone else check if they experience the same bug in the Dutch translation pad?
Doh, I experience the smae thing... I hadn't known such a thing could happen :(. I think you can create a separate PAD for each file, so Dutch_common, Dutch_KDD1, Dutch_KDD2 and Dutch_KDD3, there doesn't seem to be any limit on the number of pads at least :).

04-26-2012 at 05:17 PM
Jutt
Ok, I'll leave Common and KDD1 in the original pad, so I won't remove the authorship colours on already translated items, and move the other parts to separate pads.

04-26-2012 at 05:28 PM
Grizzly
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
German translation again:

For me, Imitat for Mimic is also fine. Is it "Imitattrank" or "Imitatstrank" for the potion?

Well, what do other German speaking people think about "Hackmeister" for smitemaster? Better than "Hiebmeister"? Worse?

I've also got a new idea for the 'Neather: "Unterfahre" (like Nachfahre = descendant, while also saying that he lives underground.)
I think it fitted quite well when I translated the passage that describes him going into the dungeon when he still was a young boy:

Also, I just translated goblin as Goblin, because I think this is an accepted word in German.

How do we translate "gate" (trapdoor gate) and "door" (yellow door)? gate = "Tor" and door = "Tür"? Or gate = "Schranke" and door = "Tor"?

[Last edited by Grizzly at 04-26-2012 10:30 PM]
04-26-2012 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Imitat and Imitattrank.
Tor und Tür for Gate and Door.
Hackmeister is fine.
I like Unterfahre.

New questions: What's "tarstuff"? We don't particularly need to solve this yet since KDD (and presumably KDD lite) doesn't have mud or gel, but I kind of stumbled over the "tarstuff gate". It's a "Teertor" for now, but that's not a particularly good sound.

The "Gates of Bill" joke is English-specific. I went with "Tore des Toren", but am open to suggestions.

What about "dropping" a trapdoor? I used "Falltür fällen", but if anyone has a brilliant idea ...
04-27-2012 at 09:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Grizzly
German:

maybe "tarstuff" could be translated with "Dickstoffe"? A tarstuff gate then is a "Dickstoff-Tor"

Maybe "dropping a trapdoor" could also be just translated with "eine Falltür auslösen"?

I don't have any good suggestion for Bill's Gates. One could go with "Die Acht Gatter von Bill", but even that would already lose the joke. So maybe "Die Acht Tore des Toren" is fine because it at least sounds nice.

How do we translate Goblin speech? My first try:

On a side note, I now use two types of formal addressations (siezen) for scroll texts:

spawn cycle timer = Brutzyklus-Zählwerk ? I saw that you wrote "Eiablage-Zyklus" for spawn cycle, but I think the word gets too complex when combining it with timer this way.

English language question:
What is meant with "gob" in the following sentence:
Oh gob...this room is gonna give me nightmares...

[Last edited by Grizzly at 04-27-2012 02:57 PM]
04-27-2012 at 10:29 AM
robin
Rank Points: 842
Jutt wrote:

So, It looks very good. (I added in red in the secret tags)
I post this here, because the program get stuck sometimes (probably my PC)
So I'll post there next time.

04-27-2012 at 12:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Znirk
robin wrote:
credentials = google translate this to "geloofsbrieven", I have no idea what it could be
I went with the equivalent of "user information" in German. It seems to refer to the combination of username and CaravelNet key.
04-27-2012 at 12:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Grizzly wrote:
maybe "tarstuff" could be translated with "Dickstoffe"? A tarstuff gate then is a "Dickstoff-Tor"
How about "Substanz" (as in "Teer", "Schlamm" and "Gel") and "Substanztor"?

Maybe "dropping a trapdoor" could also be just translated with "eine Falltür auslösen"?
+1.

I don't have any good suggestion for Bill's Gates. One could go with "Die Acht Gatter von Bill", but even that would already lose the joke. So maybe "Die Acht Tore des Toren" is fine because it at least sounds nice.
Well, since "Gatter" is a German word for "transistor" it would at least still be computer-related...

How do we translate Goblin speech? My first try:
Other than a missing exclamation mark at the end - sounds weird (and hence okay). :)

On a side note, I now use two types of formal addressations (siezen) for scroll texts:
Agreed.

spawn cycle timer = Brutzyklus-Zählwerk ? I saw that you wrote "Eiablage-Zyklus" for spawn cycle, but I think the word gets too complex when combining it with timer this way.
Why not? "Eiablage-Zyklus" and "Eiablage-Zähler" sound perfectly fine, IMHO - there's really no need to stuff a "Zyklus" in there with "Zähler"...

np: Fizzarum - Ursa-Majoris (Monochrome Plural)

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-27-2012 03:02 PM]
04-27-2012 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jutt
Some comments on robin's suggestions for the Dutch translation.

04-27-2012 at 03:06 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Znirk wrote: New questions: What's "tarstuff"? We don't particularly need to solve this yet since KDD (and presumably KDD lite) doesn't have mud or gel, but I kind of stumbled over the "tarstuff gate".
It's tar and tar-like substances. Tar, mud, gel, and whatever new substance might be in TSS.
The "Gates of Bill" joke is English-specific. I went with "Tore des Toren", but am open to suggestions.
Keep it in English? *shrug* Lots of people know who Bill Gates is.
Grizzly wrote:
It's a word that we put in that sounds like "god" but we didn't want Beethro saying "god". If there's religion on the Eighth, it hasn't been revealed to us yet.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 04-27-2012 06:00 PM]
04-27-2012 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Jatopian wrote:
The "Gates of Bill" joke is English-specific.
My point was mainly that non-anglophones may not understand the English word "gate", which would be kind of required for this to work.
04-27-2012 at 06:37 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Jatopian wrote:
Grizzly wrote:
It's a word that we put in that sounds like "god" but we didn't want Beethro saying "god". If there's religion on the Eighth, it hasn't been revealed to us yet.
IIRC, it was stated somewhere that it might be also derived from goblin - those gobbing goblins!
04-27-2012 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Damien
Rank Points: 42
Znirk wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
The "Gates of Bill" joke is English-specific.
My point was mainly that non-anglophones may not understand the English word "gate", which would be kind of required for this to work.
"When you can't translate a pun, put one somewhere else where you can". Thus spoke Zarathustra.

04-28-2012 at 03:28 PM
Grizzly
Briareos wrote:
Grizzly wrote:
How about "Substanz" (as in "Teer", "Schlamm" and "Gel") and "Substanztor"?
New idea: "Zähmasse" and "Zähmasse-Tor" (because all three elements are semi-fluid substances).

Why not? "Eiablage-Zyklus" and "Eiablage-Zähler" sound perfectly fine, IMHO - there's really no need to stuff a "Zyklus" in there with "Zähler"...
Thanks, I will do so. :)
04-29-2012 at 08:37 AM
Jutt
I'm now seriously considering to leave "hold" untranslated for Dutch, for the following reasons.

First of all the meaning of "hold" in DROD seems somewhat constructed. It uses an existing word, but none of its meanings capture quite the context within DROD. For that matter it's not too different from a made up word, and that's exactly what the word "hold" would be in Dutch.

That brings us to the second issue, which is the earlier mentioned problem that foreign people may have problems adjusting to English terminology when they visit this forum. This is not as much of an issue when it comes to words like "roach" or "tar" which have equivalents in most languages. However due to the constructed nature of "hold", any translation is going to be a shift in meaning in one way or another. I think that people translating back from their language are unlikely to come back to the word "hold". Given that this word is such an important concept within the community, it would be a huge advantage if people would use it across languages.

If I may draw a quick parallel, this word has a similar status to the word "Age" in the Myst franchise. And I know that that among fans and fan translations the word is often left untranslated in other languages, because of its contrived meaning.

So how would the word "hold" hold up in Dutch? First of all it's a very common word in English, so people with a little knowledge of the English language may still understand it's something that contains stuff. As for Dutch parallels, the word for "hold" as verb would be "houden", first person "houd", which is very similar. Other similar words in Dutch are "hol" en "holte", which mean "hollow" and "cavity"—not too bad considering many holds are underground spaces. It's even easy to pronounce for Dutch people, although they would probably say "holt".

It's not that I don't want to be creative, but so far I haven't found a single alternative that competes well against all the advantages I have listed above. I've posted this here, so translators for other languages may also consider leaving the word untranslated, based on some of these arguments.

04-29-2012 at 01:36 PM
Keiya
Rank Points: 73
Clearly you should use sehv. (You happened to mention one of the handful of D'ni words I know, I couldn't help it.)

Official Hold Progress:

04-29-2012 at 01:48 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Leaving it untranslated seems the best choice here. I can't think of a good translation myself either.
04-29-2012 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Plus, hold files are either *.hld or *hold, so it would make sense to retain the word hold.

04-29-2012 at 03:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Jatopian wrote:

Oh gob yes, all the pseudo-religious interjections are giving me headaches. Gob, Jeebus, Holy Hoobufkins or something like that.
04-29-2012 at 03:35 PM
DyRsOfDh14
Rank Points: 56
How am I supposed to translate 'Holy Hoobuffins'?
04-30-2012 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
It's an interjection, used to indicate surprise or disgust.

So I would try and use some sort of expression or word that fathers yell when they drop something on their foot, but don't want to curse in front of their children.

04-30-2012 at 02:50 AM
Grizzly

File: flashdrod_buttons.png (6.3 KB)
Downloaded 298 times.
License: Other
Our German translation is complete. But we miss some words that are displayed on buttons in the main menu. So those could not be translated by us.

[Last edited by Grizzly at 04-30-2012 11:44 AM]
04-30-2012 at 11:44 AM
skell
Grizzly wrote:
Our German translation is complete. But we miss some words that are displayed on buttons in the main menu. So those could not be translated by us.
Thanks, check out the start of the English pad :).

05-02-2012 at 08:15 AM
Znirk
skell wrote:
Grizzly wrote:
Thanks, check out the start of the English pad :).
Aaand done.
05-02-2012 at 10:07 AM
skell
Dutch translation has been already implemented, I am adding German at the moment. There is another batch of two small changes in the English pad.

If you want to be credits by your full name just send me a PM. I will be later updating the credits sections in all languages anyway :).

05-03-2012 at 09:27 AM
Page 5 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Flash DROD into many languages
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com