Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : DROD Idea Generator
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged
icon DROD Idea Generator (+4)  
Following on from the discussion in the Architecture thread here, I've whipped up a quick webpage for DROD idea generation. Any suggestions for additional entries well received. Obviously it won't generate the room, but if you're stuck, follow what it tells you and hopefully a room idea will come. I've often found that playing around with a couple of simple concepts leads to a cool room. If you don't like the ideas, just refresh.

The DROD idea generator

e.g. a sample of its work...

Try and incorporate two or three of the following ideas into a room.

Directing wraithwings into a location
Moving a mimic through a trapdoor maze
Being swordless around aumtlich
Platforms to move around the landscape

This gave me an idea for moving a mimic around a trapdoor maze while being upon a platform. This logically lead to having the platform space being surrounded by creatures, restricting movement, and aumtlich watching on diagonals.

Enjoy! Hope it's useful. If it helps you create a room, please let me know.

[Last edited by calamarain at 08-10-2007 02:22 PM]
08-10-2007 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
goldenferret
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
icon Re: DROD Idea Generator (0)  
:Notworthy :Notworthy :Notworthy
Calamarain, you are a GENIUS.
Not only that, you worked in JAVASCRIPT.
I HATE javascript.
You-- ingh-- bfudh--
You, my friend, get a mod point.
Also wondering, are you accepting any contributions to your list of ideas?
Potatoes? Seriously.

[Last edited by goldenferret at 08-10-2007 01:47 AM]
08-10-2007 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
goldenferret wrote:
:Notworthy :Notworthy :Notworthy
Calamarain, you are a GENIUS.
Not only that, you worked in JAVASCRIPT.
I HATE javascript.
You-- ingh-- bfudh--
You, my friend, get a mod point.
Also wondering, are you accepting any contributions to your list of ideas?
Potatoes? Seriously.
Regarding the javascript, no I'm not a genius. Its a premade script, though I did tinker with it a bit to get it to run a few times and print new lines. I cannot take credit for the java.

I am indeed accepting several contributions to the idea list, I put down everything I could think of in a burst, but obviously can't go into too much detail with each one. The idea is that the architect fills in the details :) Send them to me!

And yes, potatoes. There's a good reason for them.

08-10-2007 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Updated with some more ideas from goldenferret, and a couple of my own.

08-10-2007 at 01:31 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I finally got around to trying this. Personally I find the idea interesting for more complex rooms.
I envision something simpler. Maybe it would randomly generate you x room elements, y verbs, and z conditionals. Moreover, this could allow filter usage for themed rooms; one could say, "must include hot tiles & include tarstuff, exclude speed potion(s)". It wouldn't have to replace the current system, but this approach I feel would leave more up to the architect's creativity after stimulating it.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 08-19-2007 11:13 PM]
08-19-2007 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Jatopian wrote:
I finally got around to trying this. Personally I find the idea interesting for more complex rooms.
I envision something simpler. Maybe it would randomly generate you 5 room elements, 2 verbs, and a conditional. Moreover, this could allow filter usage for themed rooms; one could say, "must include hot tiles, include tarstuff, exclude speed potion(s)". It wouldn't have to replace the current system, but this approach I feel would leave more up to the architect's creativity after stimulating it.

Mmm. I tried to make it as an aid, rather than a room designer. I would say that this one is simple enough, you just look at the four suggestions, which are quite basic, and play around with two or three of them. e.g. one room I made today - trying to pin and manuevre aumtlich on a room with loads of hot tiles, keeping them alive.

The actual design of the generator's quite simple - what's hard is finding the appropriate entries and conditionals to put in there.

Do you envisage one of the form "Include element X, element Y, optionally with element Z but without element A?" If so, that might well work. I welcome any assistance in designing another one :) I should have enough bandwidth to host another without a problem.

[Last edited by calamarain at 08-19-2007 03:45 AM]
08-19-2007 at 03:35 AM
goldenferret
Rank Points: 57
I'm working on it. :D
What kind of verbs and conditionals are you talking about? Can you give me an example?

08-19-2007 at 10:11 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: DROD Idea Generator (+1)  
goldenferret wrote:
What kind of verbs and conditionals are you talking about? Can you give me an example?
Oh, verbs like lead, trap, manipulate, choose, clear, circumvent, avoid, preserve, race, ward, &c. Conditionals are things like "don't drop a trapdoor" "kill with hot tiles" "don't turn sword" "walls only you can step on" - not exactly elements, but widgets or techniques. Yeah, that's a hazy definition & probably not the best name for it.

08-19-2007 at 11:12 PM
calamarain
Jatopian wrote:
goldenferret wrote:
Oh, verbs like lead, trap, manipulate, choose, clear, circumvent, avoid, preserve, race, ward, &c. Conditionals are things like "don't drop a trapdoor" "kill with hot tiles" "don't turn sword" "walls only you can step on" - not exactly elements, but widgets or techniques. Yeah, that's a hazy definition & probably not the best name for it.

One thing to add would be an optional constraint. e.g. "with orthogonal squares to restrict movement" or "within 600 turns" or "without allowing a monster to step on a pressure plate"

08-20-2007 at 11:51 AM
calamarain
OK, have added a second version of the idea generator, with the base code being provided by goldenferret. Thanks for that :) It may be found linked from the original one.

08-20-2007 at 02:22 PM
calamarain
icon Re: DROD Idea Generator (+2)  
Right... have added a third and final version of the idea generator, again provided by goldenferret. This one has various conditions, but isn't complete. It needs more conditions/bottlenecks added to it, please email/PM me if you have anything appropriate to add. Enjoy, and hope it's useful.

08-23-2007 at 10:36 AM
Anson
Rank Points: 67
Wow! this is the best thing i saw when i first got back on DROD... :)
Oh and, A Freindly "Good work" :)

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.
Click here to view the secret text

08-24-2007 at 07:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : DROD Idea Generator
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com