Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : 3.0 Pressure Plate Mod
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5054
IP: Logged
icon 3.0 Pressure Plate Mod (+3)  
Here are the tile image files for modding 3.1 pressure plates to look the way they did in 3.0. There's also a hybrid variant with arrows (b) if that catches your fancy.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-16-2007 07:13 PM]
10-16-2007 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5054

File: pressurePlates3_0a.rar (68.2 KB)
Downloaded 276 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: 3.0 Pressure Plate Mod (0)  
Sorry, there were some errors in the mod. Here's the fixed version.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-16-2007 at 07:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1132
So, how exactly do I apply this file to the game?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-24-2007 at 01:50 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: 3.0 Pressure Plate Mod (+2)  
NoahT wrote:
So, how exactly do I apply this file to the game?

-Noah
Select which images you would like to use (pressurePlates3_0.png or pressurePlates3_0b.png), and place both the image file and the corresponding .tim file in the data\bitmaps folder. Then, in drod.ini, Find the line that says
General=GeneralTiles
and add the line
General=pressurePlates3_0
(or pressurePlates3_0b, depending on which you chose) immediately after it. Make sure DROD is closed while making changes to drod.ini, or they will be reverted when you close it.

10-24-2007 at 05:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Thanks. I guess I'm more accustomed the JtRH way, where all you have to do is put the mod in the Bitmaps folder and give it the appropriate name.

-Noah

My stuff:

10-24-2007 at 05:56 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
NoahT wrote:
Thanks. I guess I'm more accustomed the JtRH way, where all you have to do is put the mod in the Bitmaps folder and give it the appropriate name.

-Noah
In JtRH you still need to modify drod.ini - the process for JtRH and the process for TCB are essentially the same.

10-24-2007 at 06:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Well, when I swapped the regular clock for the one with the snake counter to use while playing Perfection and Master Locks, all I had to do is what I stated above, IIRC.

-Noah

My stuff:

10-24-2007 at 06:10 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Right, the clocks are an exception, because that's one of the very few things that has an external image file. Changing other things requires telling the game you want to use an external file (because it obviously doesn't need to be told for the clock).
10-24-2007 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
This explaination is all theoretical, but inferences through experimentation are the root of science. I'm a scientist, not a researcher.

Please remember that drod.ini is what gives the name of the file you want to use. What it does is this: First, it sees the line
GeneralTiles=GeneralTiles
What this does is define that "GeneralTiles" is the name of the file to be used when the code in the game asks for "GeneralTiles". As you can see, it's the same name, but it doesn't have to be. So to distinguish, lets say that the GeneralTiles image included in DROD is actually called "GTiles", and the line in drod.ini reflects that by saying
GeneralTiles=GTiles
Now, the first thing it does is check the Bitmaps folder for anything with the name GTiles. If it does find that, it stops searching, and uses that file whenever the game is told to display something from "GeneralTiles". That's why just putting something named "Clock1" and "Clock2" will work in TCB. Sure, the default clock2 disappeared, but you don't need to replace it, you just need to place it!
If "GTiles" isn't in Bitmaps, it will search to see if the file is actually in the game DROD, as default graphics. So let's say it finds "GTiles" in DROD. Those default tiles would then be used whenever "GeneralTiles" is referenced to.

In other words, "GeneralTiles" and the other things on the left of the equals signs are almost like macros that we are defining. And when the game looks to find just what files these names represent, it will prioritize custom ones in Bitmaps over default ones in the game itself.

10-24-2007 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4569
Say, is there any chance of an RPG version of this?

08-08-2009 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: 3.0 Pressure Plate Mod (+1)  
My personal favorite is that you can also use directories, so that you can group large mods into several tiny ones (my Underwater style does this)
08-09-2009 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Hmm, something strange happened when I tried extracting the files on Vista. When I tried extracting to the Bitmaps folder, I got errors, but when I extracted into the Downloads folder when the zipped file was, it worked fine. What might be the reason for this?

-Noah

My stuff:

08-24-2009 at 01:57 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
NoahT wrote:
Hmm, something strange happened when I tried extracting the files on Vista. When I tried extracting to the Bitmaps folder, I got errors, but when I extracted into the Downloads folder when the zipped file was, it worked fine. What might be the reason for this?

-Noah
Need I say more?
08-24-2009 at 03:35 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
:\ NiroZ might be onto something despite himself. Did you turn off UAC first?

08-24-2009 at 03:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
No, I never turn it off, just to be safe.

-Noah

My stuff:

08-24-2009 at 08:36 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
what is this thing where you believe you are somehow safer by using UAC

there is never a situation like that

you are bad at computer
08-26-2009 at 11:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Banjooie wrote:
what is this thing where you believe you are somehow safer by using UAC

there is never a situation like that
Oh? Because I honestly believe I am safer by *** (name withheld) using UAC.

I can also happily recommend it to any of my enemies ;)

08-26-2009 at 04:11 PM
Panther
Rank Points: 402
So, of course the very first thing I did before playing GatEB was move over all my mods and progress and stuff, and things looked good for a while until I entered a room with a large (> 1x1) single-use pressure plate, and I discovered that the yellow that makes me sad was back. But the 1x1 plates remained correctly modded.

It was explained to me that there were now more pressure plate tiles for single-use plates in the general tileset now, so any configurations over 1x1 will get drawn with the new tiles rather than the nice one in this mod.

I don't suppose there's any chance of an update for the mod? :blush
04-07-2012 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381

File: pressurePlates4_0.zip (52.2 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: 3.0 Pressure Plate Mod (+4)  
Ugh.

04-07-2012 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Panther
Rank Points: 402
:smile

:kiss

:wub
04-07-2012 at 05:51 PM
NoahT
I can't get either the 3.0 or 4.0 versions to work in the Mac OS X version of TCB 3.3. I have both mods in Bitmaps and I have tried entering both versions into the drod.ini file, but they don't change anything. What could the reason be for this?

-Noah

My stuff:

06-02-2012 at 01:12 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
5.0 adds a new pressure plate tile for held down but not activated single-use plates. Obviously it looks terrible when mixed with modded plates.

A simple fix would be copying the existing single-use graphics over the new tile(s). Or if someone wants to make a new slightly varied version to signify that it's held down, that'd work too.

I might try making the simple fix version myself at some point. Shouldn't be too hard once I find the old instructions and figure out the new .tim code(s).
06-23-2014 at 02:22 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: 3.0 Pressure Plate Mod (+3)  
Schik's Changelog From Chat
Schik[04:30 PM]: added a new depressed PP image. The PPs are depressed because they are so ugly.

Seriously, give comments on the design of them. The colour is similar to the rest of them, and I can edit it if needed. You will also have to add General=PressurePlates5_0 to your drod.ini file.

http://drod.caravelgames.com/Images/GraphicMods/PressurePlates5_0.zip

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 07-16-2014 01:08 AM]
07-15-2014 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Arazu
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
I think it works quite well. Thank you!
07-16-2014 at 06:35 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : 3.0 Pressure Plate Mod
Surf To:

Forum Rules: