Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Fourth Annual People's Choice Awards. (The "Deadliest" award show around.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon The Fourth Annual People's Choice Awards. (+2)  
"Is it that time already?"

Of course it is! (Actually, I'm a bit late, and I'm thankful that NiroZ prodded me to get this started. Who says the Bureaucracy doesn't have a purpose?) It's time to dust off the ol' top hat and suit (Or dresses and white satin gloves for all the ladies out there) and recognize all of the wonderful contributions that many of the forum members have produced in the last year.

I will admit I've cheated a bit and essentially copied last year's post and edited as needed. Only one additional category has been added this year, and I felt that the copy-paste functions would work better than my own memory.

And, as usual, I also want to emphasize that this award show isn't about popularity or the awards, it's about acknowledging all the people who keep this community alive and to bring awareness to all of the amazing creations that are out there. Just because your hold doesn't win an award or get nominated, it doesn't mean that no one enjoyed it. As far as I'm concerned, if only one person enjoyed your hold, than all of the hassle that you went through was justified and well worth it. Be proud of your creations! Share them with the world!

For anyone interested, a brief history of the Deadlies are available on the website. Now then, let's move onto the aspects of this show, shall we?

The Main Section:

Of course, in order to have an award show, we need to get some nominees. In a day or two, I'll be creating a separate submission topic allowing people to make their nominations. They will be accepted until Local Time:11-14-2007 at 11:59 PM. You are able to edit/delete/modify your submissions until that date, but all entries created or edited after that date will not be accepted. C'mon, you'll have a little under a month! You should be able to make up your mind before then! Keep in mind that both 2.0 + 3.0 holds qualify for all of the following categories unless otherwise noted.

Categories open for nomination this year (Note: Published holds constitute any hold published to the Holds board from October 11th, 2006 to October 13th, 2007):

1. Most Promising Hold

This category is open to any hold made in any version that has been in a public beta test for at maximum of two hundred (200) days. You are looking for a hold that, while still a work in progress, shows promise in puzzle design, storyline, concept, and/or aesthetic design. I'm leaving private tests out of this at the moment, but I'm willing to negotiate a change in that rule.

2. Technical Design Excellence for Scripting

This category is open to any published hold that exhibits both innovative and unexpected uses for scripting, whether they affect the storyline or actual game play. A hold like this doesn't just use previous scripting techniques, it creates them.

3. Technical Design Excellence for Layout and Aesthetics

This category is open to any published hold that is both visually appealing and/or uses a clever and unexpected layout. A hold like this would have a very accessible layout, and would look visually pleasing, possibly in an attempt to create a distinct environment outside of the typical dungeon. Custom floor designs in a hold fall under this category.

4. Technical Design Excellence for Concept

This category is open to any hold that uses DROD's engine in ways never imagined before. This can be done via interesting puzzles, or an interesting way to tie in normal puzzles. Holds that are nominated for this category are the only kind out there like it.

5. Creative Design for Storyline Excellence

This category is open to any published hold that shows an excellent and engrossing storyline through detailed character development, careful planning of an in-depth plot, and an interesting style. These holds are the ones that give you incentive to solve the current room just to find out what will happen next.

6. Creative Design for Difficulty

This category is open to any published hold that manages to create puzzles that are difficult and require new ways of thinking without being tedious. These holds push your mental limit to the edge, while still managing to maintain an element of fun.

7. Creative Design for Entertainment

This category is open to any published hold that you feel was the most fun to play. A hold eligible for this category would be of medium to low difficulty range, and while it wasn't overly difficult, was entertaining enough to make you want to complete it.

8. Graphics Design Excellence for a Modification

This category is open to any modification made for any version of DROD that looks the most professional and the most usable. This can be in the form of either clock, generaltiles, or styletiles available freely on the forum. Any custom floors included in a hold are to be nominated for the fourth category.

9. Best Actor/Actress in a Leading Role

The category is open to any voice acting in any hold that sounds the most professional and entertaining. When nominating an actor or actress, please nominate both the hold, and the character that the person played.

10. Best DROD 2.0 Engine Hold

This category is open to any hold released in the last year that was created in the DROD 2.0 engine. This hold should be one that makes good use out of all of the elements in the engine

11. Novice Architect Excellence
This category is open to any architect who's first publicly released hold, either still in progress or released in the last year, showed promise in design of puzzles and other architectural skills. When nominating an architect for this award, include the hold's name as well.

12. Lifetime Architectural Achievement Award

This category is in special recognition of architects who have dedicated years to this game. Specific criteria will be released below.

13. Hold of the Year

This category is open to any published hold that combines both difficulty, creativity of puzzles, professionalism, concept, entertainment, and story into a hold that you feel shows exactly the kind of quality we should expect from holds. This hold is the best that we have seen in the past year, and would be the one hold that you would want to show future generations to show how talented builders from this time period can be.

The Lifetime Architectural Achievement Award

This one's going to be handled a bit differently. I had to bump the requirements up a bit so that the emphasis on "Lifetime" was kept. So, when nominating a person for this hold, keep in mind all of these points:

1) The author's first hold must have been published before October 15th, 2005. In other words, they've been around for at least two years and have built up a reputation.
2) This author must have created and published at least two holds, both of which have been rated higher than 7.
3) The author must be in good standing with the community.

A quick note: Henri (AKA Doom) is not eligible for this award.

The Pre-Show Festivities

Feel free to openly discuss what holds you think were good this year. Don't necessarily suggest holds/people for specific category's (Such as saying "Man, Patrick Fisher totally deserves to win the super-colossal-extraordinarily-superb forum member award!"), but instead suggest hold/people who you've liked (Such as "I really enjoyed playing Delver's Demise. That hold was challenging while still keeping my interest for more than thirty seconds"). I think that if people suggest holds, then some of the better yet forgotten over time holds will be brought back up to the surface again.

Other than that, start reviewing all the holds from the past year, and start nominating!

-Patrick Fisher

10-16-2007 at 08:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: The Fourth Annual People's Choice Awards. (0)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
The Lifetime Architectural Achievement Award

This one's going to be handled a bit differently. I had to bump the requirements up a bit so that the emphasis on "Lifetime" was kept. So, when nominating a person for this hold, keep in mind all of these points:

1) The author's first hold must have been published before October 15th, 2005. In other words, they've been around for at least two years and have built up a reputation.
2) This author must have created and published at least two holds, both of which have been rated higher than 7.
3) The author must be in good standing with the community.

A quick note: Henri (AKA Doom) is not eligible for this award.

What 'bout Larry?
10-16-2007 at 11:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: The Fourth Annual People's Choice Awards. (+1)  
So we're picking out of:
Click here to view the secret text
, right?

Edit: Why would Larry not be eligible??
Edit: Added Think Outside the Box. Definitely a hold deserving of accolade.
Edit: Below Witherwood

[Last edited by Jacob at 10-17-2007 04:39 PM]
10-16-2007 at 01:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Jacob wrote:
So we're picking out of:
, right?

That looks like all of them except Think Outside The Box, which was published on the 12th.
10-16-2007 at 02:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Jacob wrote:
I guess the main question here would be "Exactly why is Henri *not* eligible?" - I guess it doesn't make much sense asking why soandso is eligible until we know the reasoning behind that...

10-16-2007 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Briareos wrote:
I guess the main question here would be "Exactly why is Henri *not* eligible?"
Probably because he won it last year. Lifetime achievement awards traditionally aren't given to the same person more than once.
10-16-2007 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Jacob wrote:
So we're picking out of:
, right?

Thanks for that list, Jacob. I think it would help if someone were to compile a list of eligible candidates for each position like this...

Josh

10-16-2007 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Looking down the holds list, the following have 2 or more holds rated 8.0 or more.
But someone official will have to confirm this. (As you may have guessed, I am bored at work)

10-16-2007 at 03:16 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
It has to be 7.0, not 8.0. That expands the list somewhat.
10-16-2007 at 03:18 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Oops, I was going by the SmS criteria for some reason.
Well, someone else can correct the list! (not the forum member, unless he wants to)

10-16-2007 at 03:19 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Compilation that is mostly other people's work shouldn't count, so I'd say I am ineligible for the lifetime award. (also the first published hold thing discounts me, unless compilations count for that in which case I have a level in unfortunate architect)

Speaking of TWW, I am sad because the reverse mimics didn't get nominated for scripting last year. boo!
10-16-2007 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rabscuttle wrote:
Compilation that is mostly other people's work shouldn't count, so I'd say I am ineligible for the lifetime award. (also the first published hold thing discounts me, unless compilations count for that in which case I have a level in unfortunate architect)

Speaking of TWW, I am sad because the reverse mimics didn't get nominated for scripting last year. boo!

If it makes you feel any better, I thought they were most excellent.

Josh

10-16-2007 at 04:23 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Drat it all! I was just about to PM gamer asking if I could run it this year! I guess I'll have to wait until next.
10-16-2007 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Jacob wrote:
Kevin (if the Kevin of Phil's Dungeon and Lunchbreak Special are the same person - I'm not sure if they are)

Nope, Phil's Dungeon was made by Kevin and Lunchbreak Special was made by Kevin_P86 - they are two different people.

10-16-2007 at 08:40 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Jacob wrote:
Well, someone else can correct the list! (not the forum member, unless he wants to)
When someone else corrects it, s/he should cull those of fewer than 2 years of published holds.

10-16-2007 at 11:38 PM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
:P Dammit. My most recent hold missed the cutoff date by a mere three days!

10-17-2007 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Honestly, I don't have a problem with three days. Count "Below Witherwood" in with the contenders. Three days difference seems almost too cruel.

I'm also about to post the submission topic. Give me, oh, three minutes.

10-17-2007 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
So, I guess the submission topic is for nominating other people's holds, right? Just want to be sure.
10-17-2007 at 05:42 PM
calamarain
And I'm presuming that...

1) you can only nominate one person/hold for each award
2) you can't nominate yourself.

Correct?

10-17-2007 at 05:54 PM
jbluestein
calamarain wrote:
And I'm presuming that...

1) you can only nominate one person/hold for each award
2) you can't nominate yourself.

Correct?

I'm not sure about 1, but why do you think you wouldn't be able to nominate yourself/your own holds? It may be arrogant, but nobody except for Patrick will know, so...

10-17-2007 at 06:31 PM
jbluestein
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
1. Most Promising Hold

This category is open to any hold made in any version that has been in a public beta test for at maximum of two hundred (200) days. You are looking for a hold that, while still a work in progress, shows promise in puzzle design, storyline, concept, and/or aesthetic design. I'm leaving private tests out of this at the moment, but I'm willing to negotiate a change in that rule.

So what happens if a hold that's nominated gets published before the nomination period ends?

This category is open to any hold that uses DROD's engine in ways never imagined before. This can be done via interesting puzzles, or an interesting way to tie in normal puzzles. Holds that are nominated for this category are the only kind out there like it.

This one doesn't mention 'published' in the description. So does that mean that not-yet-published holds are OK, or is this an oversight?

Josh

10-17-2007 at 06:35 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
jbluestein wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
1. Most Promising Hold

So what happens if a hold that's nominated gets published before the nomination period ends?Josh

I dunno, but just in case, you shouldn't nominate Mysteries Of The Deep because it's nearing completion.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-17-2007 at 08:36 PM
Dex Stewart
jbluestein wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
1. Most Promising Hold

So what happens if a hold that's nominated gets published before the nomination period ends?

This one doesn't mention 'published' in the description. So does that mean that not-yet-published holds are OK, or is this an oversight?

Josh

I think that Patrick used that wording, as to not exclude holds that are and will always remain in Architecture (I can't think of any, but there may be some).
10-17-2007 at 08:42 PM
calamarain
jbluestein wrote:
I'm not sure about 1, but why do you think you wouldn't be able to nominate yourself/your own holds? It may be arrogant, but nobody except for Patrick will know, so...
:P I wouldn't dream of nominating myself, I'm not that egomaniacal. I just like clarification of all rules down in writing.

10-18-2007 at 01:15 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Is The City Beneath applicable?
10-19-2007 at 03:37 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Can I once again request that official holds be ineligible for all awards due to their unfair advantages?

10-19-2007 at 03:58 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Jatopian wrote:
Can I once again request that official holds be ineligible for all awards due to their unfair advantages?
You know what, I think official holds should be out of the running. There's only three of them this time around anyways, and TCB shouldn't be included to begin with.

So no official holds.

10-19-2007 at 12:48 PM
calamarain
So... the nomination time's over.

When's the voting? :)

11-18-2007 at 12:26 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Um.. Gamer_Extreme_101?

11-22-2007 at 04:38 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Okay, this is getting insane. Does anyone mind if I take over?
12-01-2007 at 04:12 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Fourth Annual People's Choice Awards. (The "Deadliest" award show around.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com