Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : soco ban sword (soco ban sword)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

3.5/10 (17 votes)
σ 1.61
Author Name:alpo
Submitted By:Alberttox2
Hold Name:soco ban sword
Theme:soco ban sword
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:31
Number of Monsters:211
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-2 (+0 / -2)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: socobansword.hold (10.3 KB)
Downloaded 897 times.
License: Other
icon soco ban sword  
it's beta hold
09-12-2009 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: soco ban sword (+3)  
admin wrote:
it's beta hold
Yup, it's another beta hold that got insta-submitted. Third insta-submission for this particular architect. Once again, he pressed the "submit" button immediately after attaching his hold, did not wait for any comments in the architecture thread, and did not even respond to the one helpful beta tester who commented after submission.

There are a few interesting rooms in this hold, especially some of the mimic rooms. This could have been a really nice hold with some beta testing and polishing. However, what the player will notice most is the lack of beta testing.

* There are no checkpoints in this hold.
* There is unexplained scripting in this hold.
* There is confusing and unnecessary scripting in this hold. For example, in two rooms, a scripted yellow door functions as a black sister door.
* There are lots of unintended solutions. The player does not need to push each mirror to the architect's intended spot.
* The level entrance text is still at the default "Entrance 1" "Entrance 2" settings.
09-12-2009 at 09:04 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: soco ban sword (+1)  
The rabbit said it all. There are a few genuinly interesting rooms. This hold does not fail due to a lack of potential in the architect, but due to his impatiance.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 09-12-2009 09:30 PM]
09-12-2009 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dr. Murphy
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 46
Alberttox2, do you realize why your holds are being rated so low? It's because you submit your hold to the holds board before it can be properly tested.

The holds board is not for "beta holds", it's for complete holds. Complete holds are level sets that have come out of beta status. You don't seem to want to do that, and my question is "Why?".

The purpose of the Architecture board is for holds such as these by people such as yourself to be tested and improved. Listen to your testers for they are just as important as the architect.

That being said and done, my rating and notes are this:

3 fun
1.5 brains

Checkpoints were the biggest issue here. I didn't like making a mistake, accidentally make another move after that, and having to restart AGAIN. Another problem was that all the puzzles were just the same thing over and over again - moving mirrors. I suppose the rooms would be more interesting if you were swordless, other sworded monsters moved the mirrors, slayer manipulation by body or by hook, etc.
09-12-2009 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Push mirrors to designated places (easy, since you have your sword, you can move diagonally, and the layouts are very open). Maybe kill a few penned-in monsters, too. Repeat.

This is a relaxingly mindless hold, which could make it worth a look at the end of a long week if the player can get around the lack of checkpoints. Budding optimizers could also probably use it to practice. Just don't expect too much.

09-13-2009 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. The two really kind of sad parts are that

(a) there are a few genuinely interesting ideas here, like the multiple mimic rooms; and
(b) I really fear that he's not going to listen to all the constructive things people are saying.
09-13-2009 at 05:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: soco ban sword (0)  
VIPCOOL wrote:
One thing I don't understand is why the HA's never reject holds. This, and many other recent holds should never have gotten onto the holds board in the first place
Bingo! It's holds like this that should have us reviewing our acceptance policy.

09-13-2009 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
VIPCOOL wrote:
One thing I don't understand is why the HA's never reject holds. This, and many other recent holds should never have gotten onto the holds board in the first place
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=13614

Their job is not to prevent un-fun holds from being published:

1. Your hold is bad if it is not completable.
2. Your hold is bad if there are backtracking issues, like you can't return to a required room you didn't complete, or there are two required paths, either of which make you unable to get to the other one. Unrequired rooms that are not backtrackable are okay...they're just bad form, and we will let you know about it. Also, secret rooms should be reachable. Otherwise people will get mad at you when they can't master your hold.
3. Your hold is bad if there is #$!@%^@#ing profanity. Unless it's Eighthized. See here for a selection of acceptable Eighth profanities.
4. Your hold is bad if there are copyrighted images, or sounds, or anything that somebody has their copyright on. (Unless it's your copyright.) That's just bad news, and would get us into a whole lot of legal mess and jargon that we just don't want to deal with. Also, we consider rooms in DROD to be copyrighted by their authors. You must obtain permission before putting another architect's room in your hold.
5. Your hold is bad if it's essentially the same as a hold already on the Holds board (even if the older hold is your own, or if you have permission to copy it). By "essentially the same" we mean that the puzzles can be solved by the same solutions. Making an easier/harder version of an existing hold is ok.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-13-2009 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
VIPCOOL wrote:
One thing I don't understand is why the HA's never reject holds.

We generally don't make it a habit to make grand announcements of the holds we reject from submission. As such, those holds remain on their private beta boards or in Architecture, without any record of HA to architect talks. Therefore the holds that make it to the holds board are far more memorable.

tl;dr We do reject holds, you just don't hear about them.

09-13-2009 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
We don't reject holds for subjective reasons. If a hold passes those 5 rules mentioned by Oneiro from the Friendly Note, the hold is on the board.

Were we to do so, I think it would inject more vitriol and confusion into the process. What if one HA thinks the hold is okay enough for the holds board, and another thinks that there's no way it should be there? (2 HA opinions are required for hold approval.) Would our new rule be "I know a bad hold when I see one"?

Yes, the current process allows some subjectively bad holds through the filter. I still think the rating system takes care of this. If people rate poor holds as poor holds, people will generally know they're poor. We make sure that holds are playable, and I think that is an appropriate level of responsibility for the HA. We've got plenty of space for the "don't do this" holds in our Hold Museum.

09-13-2009 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
What does the "Other" licensing on the attachment refer to for this hold (as well as for other published holds)? Does the submitter have any say in what that licensing can be?

09-13-2009 at 07:39 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
VIPCOOL wrote:
Onei wrote: Their job is not to prevent un-fun holds from being published:
I understand this, but I thought there was a difference between a hold being bad, and a hold being rejected. This quote...
Click here to view the secret text
...made it sound like unpolished holds shouldn't be published.

I think your confusion on this point is understandable, perhaps because of zex's softening of the language.

However, in general the HAs do not reject holds. Holds that are submitted get 'No' votes if they have problems like the ones listed in the Friendly Note. Some holds have spent a long time in the HA process because they needed a lot of fixing. Usually the only time a hold is outright rejected are:
a) by request of the submitter, or
b) if a sufficiently long time has gone by without the submitter responding to HA requests for changes.

The HA process is interactive (when it has to be). If you submit a hold and go on vacation, you may well find that it's been rejected when you get back (if it had problems that prevented its immediate promotion). Doesn't mean you can't fix it and resubmit it.

But we've always stayed far away from offering any sort of official judgment on whether a hold is good or bad (although, as you can probably tell, we all have opinions). Opinions and hold ratings are offered as private forum citizens. As HAs, we say 'promotable' or 'not promotable'. (We do also offer suggestions if we see non-blocking issues, point out unintended solutions, etc...but that's not a requirement and we don't block hold promotion for spelling, USes, or anything else except what's listed in the Friendly Note.)

Josh

[Last edited by jbluestein at 09-14-2009 04:58 PM]
09-14-2009 at 04:57 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
icon Re: soco ban sword (+5)  
I'm afraid people are jumping in on this conversation without checking the history of this particular hold.

"Soco ban sword" was rejected once for the "severe playability issues" reason. The architect was directed to seek more help and feedback in Architecture to deal with the issues. The architect refused to do this and resubmitted the hold with no corrections. The architect was told several times that the hold could be greatly improved by more beta testing, but he did not respond. After a couple weeks of confusing back and forth noncommunication, the hold finally met the minimum criteria for the Holds board. And here you have it.

What I don't understand is this: I warned you guys not to expect much in my very first post in this topic. In spite of that, a bunch of you just had to download it anyway and come to post here about what we already know: the hold is indeed not that great. I really like Tim's advice from another Holds topic. Stop repeating and repeating what you don't like about the not so great holds and go tell us what you do like about the better holds. I wonder if this topic could be on Page 2 by the end of the week? :)
09-14-2009 at 06:38 PM
Dischorran
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
I wonder if this topic could be on Page 2 by the end of the week? :)
Ready and willing to do my part!

09-14-2009 at 07:10 PM
Odyssey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 124
I like the idea of a hold based on Socoban.

What I do not like is the terrible and unpredictable scripting. To anyone who plays this hold, be prepared to have to use the Build menu to access most of the rooms.

1.5 brains, 1 for fun. I would increase the fun level if you fixed the hold - I like theme-based holds.

09-19-2009 at 08:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Odyssey wrote:
To anyone who plays this hold, be prepared to have to use the Build menu to access most of the rooms.
Although you're welcome to hop around in the editor as much as you like, please be assured that all the rooms are accessable and solvable in game.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 09-19-2009 08:32 PM]
09-19-2009 at 08:32 PM
Odyssey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 124
Even though they are solvable (somehow), I don't like playing in holds where you have to guess how to activate the script.

They're nice rooms, though. Such a shame that the architect did not review the criticism... had a lot of potential.

09-19-2009 at 08:58 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Odyssey--I think that you'll find that seven years of bad luck is not always a bad thing. More explicitly,

09-20-2009 at 04:22 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I'm not sure what "unpredictable scripting" is being talked about. Opening a door? Breaking a mirror? Since the purpose of the game is to push mirrors of pressure plates, and breaking one would make this trivial, it didn't seem at all unpredictable that this would make the room unsolvable.

I actually enjoyed this. As said, it's something of a mindless, relaxing hold. Reminds me of Zelda in a tiny way, pushing blocks around. Nothing is very difficult but it could be a challenge to optimize. The lack of checkpoints is probably the most glaring omission. There are a few but not enough to prevent having to restart a long, tedious sequence because of a mistake.

The secret rooms were decently easy to spot and yet fun. Using the clones and mimics were a fun diversion and the last few rooms were pretty good. The difficulty ramped up gently and slowly. All in all, a good hold and probably undeserving of a lot of the negative tenor of the comments, even if he should have had it tested first.

07-08-2011 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
I recently replayed this hold and now I must agree with west.logan. I actually like this hold now, for the reasons he described.

Maybe I am too quick to judge stuff as cat-barf, because I have changed my rating to
4 for fun
2 for brains
35/100 approval rating.
A good, mindless hold for one's coffee break. Some of the secrets here are rather quite fun.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 07-11-2011 06:02 AM]
07-11-2011 at 06:02 AM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
The main focus of this hold is moving mirrors to specific spots so that pressure plates will activate and kill whatever monster is in the room. While this idea could work for a mini-hold, this hold doesn't execute that idea well.

The puzzles are hardly that interesting. There's no difficulty progression, no change of room idea. Every room is essentially identical with slightly different mirror/pressure plate placements. Just lots of trivial stuff.

Shockingly enough, that isn't the worst problem. The worst problem is the lack of checkpoints. There are only TWO checkpoints in this hold. This hold provides a good reason why we need UU in TSS. While it's not difficult, it's sure annoying to break a mirror, accidentally move something and have to do the whole trivial room...AGAIN. As for optimizing,it is just hell. It's so much hell that I'll be actually replaying it in TSS just so that I can actually improve my scores. You gotta respect the optimizers too, cause they are a fairly large group of players.

As for other issues, you got poor aesthetic design, a lack of level descriptions and hold descriptions/endings. Also, the strange spelling of "socoban", which appears to be a spelling error, and the disparity between "soco ban" in the title, and "socoban" in the level titles.

3 Overall w/ 2.5 brains. Don't play unless it's in TSS and you're using UU.

And a reply to an older reply:

[Last edited by bomber50 at 06-13-2014 04:53 AM]
06-13-2014 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
Not to continue this discussion any further than it needs to go, but CSR's point was that people tend to post a ton of negative criticism that more or less repeats what has been said about the hold. It is perfectly fine to play bad holds, but it gets on my nerves when people go and post that a bad hold is bad when the topic already has 20 or so replies that also say, "I didn't really like this hold,". I'm guilty of the same practice, but I'd like to think I've stopped.

This is not to say you shouldn't review every hold you play, it's just that a post isn't really useful unless you have something new to add (in this case you sort of did, but in some of your other posts you haven't added very much to the thread). It is true that posting about how certain holds are good is reasonable, since the bump helps visibility, but since most people don't go out of their way to play bad holds (highscores typically search by difficulty not quality) it isn't worth posting on all the holds you play.

06-13-2014 at 05:26 AM
Dischorran
bomber50 wrote:
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
...narrow-minded and mean-spirited...
Nope, try again.

06-13-2014 at 06:30 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: soco ban sword (+3)  
Wait, bomber50 is calling CuriousShyRabbit narrow-minded and mean-spirited? CuriousShyRabbit was one of the nicest, most positive, most helpful people to ever grace this forum. I wish for her return every time I'm reminded she was ever here. :(

06-13-2014 at 09:50 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Me too.

06-14-2014 at 12:41 AM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
I have wondered where she went for some time now, and I vaguely remember asking about it in chat and if I recall correctly Schik tried to contact her to no avail. I hope she is alright at least.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 06-14-2014 05:03 AM]
06-14-2014 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
Okay, so I played through this. It was fun. But... it's also broken and unfinished in a lot of ways. With a while on the Architecture board it could have been great, but as is... if you like the concept it's interesting to see what's been done, anyway.

Official Hold Progress:

03-30-2016 at 03:45 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : soco ban sword (soco ban sword) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes