Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD History Month (Sort of an art contest.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pearls
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 767
IP: Logged
icon DROD History Month (+12)  
This is actually an architecture contest because you guys and gals are way too clever and some of that needs siphoned off into building rooms, but it's kind of an art contest, too.

The objective is to build four rooms (or rooms divided into sections, perhaps), preferably in a linear fashion, but not required, that tries, to the best of the architect's ability, to capture the flavor and feel of each main entry in the DROD series: KDD, JTRH, TCB, GatEB.

That is, the first room should try to feel like a KDD room, whether that means lots of horde management, or twisty passageways (all alike!). The second might be a pursuit from a Slayer, or use a different tile set, but feel like JTRH. This isn't merely game elements from a monster perspective. This could be showing off different design features introduced in that game, like lighting effects. Or a scripting quirk. Either way, it should feel like it might've been an actual room from that game.

Feel and nostalgic usage of elements should be weighted over making a really hard puzzle, but a good puzzle definitely shouldn't be disregarded. The transition from room to room being jarring is probably to be expected. Using cleverness within the intent of the contest is not discouraged.

EDIT: Multiple entries are encouraged, in case you have lots of ideas. Your rank will be the highest among your entries, relative to everything else, while your...lesser..entries will be ignored for ranking purposes. (Honorable Mentions!)

------

Attach your holds here.

The contest ends Jan 31st, so you have plenty of time with respect to the holidays. (Subject to change)

Voting will be determined at a later date.

Tentative Prize for 1st place is the Pearls Prize from the prize pile. Second place wins a 5$ game of their choice from any vaguely respectable website. 3rd place wins a PM from me containing a family friendly secret I've never shared with anybody and some winks. All places win a handful of rank points.

Good luck!

[mrimer: Caravel has, uh, nationalized this contest and will, uh, subsidize prizes that are delivered. We'll provide the usual prize from the Prize Pile and rank point awards to those who place.]

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Pearls at 12-19-2012 02:49 AM]
12-13-2012 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: DROD History Month (0)  
Wow, neat idea!

I think it should be interesting to see how different architects interpret the style guidelines - or, in other words, what puzzle themes they think the various official holds were all about.

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-13-2012 08:36 PM]
12-13-2012 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: DROD History Month (+2)  
After talking with Pearls I hereby declare this to be an official contest. I didn't, however, talk to Mike, so, um, hope that's okay! :)

In addition to the prizes Pearls will be giving away, there will be the standard prizes:
1st Place wins a prize from the prize pile and 100 rank points.
2nd place wins 50 rank points and three free months of CaravelNet service.
3rd place wins 25 rank points and a free month of CaravelNet service.

12-13-2012 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Pearls
One small caveat to Schik's prize distribution: double dipping in to the Pearls Prize will be frowned upon. A lot. Like I'll ignore you and insult your family.

12-13-2012 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Now I want to win just to get Pearls enmity. Note: I don't remember what Pearls prize is, but I want two of them.

I wish that man would stay away
12-14-2012 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: DROD History Month (+1)  
I will note here for the record that if someone builds the most incredibly annoying hold to play and then it wins first place, Pearls will LP it according to the terms of the Pearlsprize. But please don't* take that into consideration when voting!

*do

12-14-2012 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
What a great idea I really like it! And for the first time I'll take part in a contest, I'll try my best.
Good luck everyone!

12-14-2012 at 10:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Dischorran wrote:
I will note here for the record that if someone builds the most incredibly annoying hold to play and then it wins first place, Pearls will LP it according to the terms of the Pearlsprize. But please don't* take that into consideration when voting!

*stand in a fire when you

Actually, as a bonus prize to all participants, within reason, if someone makes a compilation hold, I will LP it in a similar fashion to how I did the Cheap Trick Compilation.

12-14-2012 at 02:18 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Schik wrote:
After talking with Pearls I hereby declare this to be an official contest. I didn't, however, talk to Mike, so, um, hope that's okay! :)
Yes! I'm always for a good official contest.

Awesome contest idea!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-14-2012 at 02:53 PM
komachi
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158
Good idea!, do theme rooms of every DROD in 4 rooms. It's the first time that I'm in a contest.
good luck!.
12-18-2012 at 10:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
I'm in. Actually, I'm almost done my entry. Where should I post it?
12-18-2012 at 09:45 PM
Pearls
Someone Else wrote:
I'm in. Actually, I'm almost done my entry. Where should I post it?

There is now a handy link in the original post.

And here.

[Last edited by Pearls at 12-19-2012 02:50 AM]
12-19-2012 at 02:50 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 597
If we want to do multiple entries how do you want them?
Zipped, or multiple post?

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

12-19-2012 at 08:38 AM
Moo
Rank Points: 224
As each "entry" would only be a few rooms, couldn't you include them all together in one hold? Would only need an initial room or two to link the entries of the entries.
12-19-2012 at 10:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Suwako
Rank Points: 145
First contest i'm going to take part :D .

Question, how do I upload the holds.

Each game room as a hold?
Or i do: AE room, import into JtRH , do the room, export the hold to TCB...

Thanks if you answer :)

12-19-2012 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Why not just make them all in TCB/GatEB in the first place, in the same hold?

12-19-2012 at 04:38 PM
Pearls
Suwako wrote:
First contest i'm going to take part :D .

Question, how do I upload the holds.

Each game room as a hold?
Or i do: AE room, import into JtRH , do the room, export the hold to TCB...

Thanks if you answer :)

As Jacob said, I, er, intended them all to be made in GatEB or TCB, but use the available elements to try to recreate the other games' style. Anything else would be needlessly difficult to evaluate.

12-19-2012 at 05:29 PM
Pearls
Just a friendly reminder that the deadline for the DROD History Month compilation contest is the end of this month (January).

Submit your holds the submission page, if you would. I'm more or less (more) mega excited to see what you all come up with :)

01-08-2013 at 09:12 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Anyone else entering this?

01-30-2013 at 11:32 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Yup, I made a submission. I'm also interested in knowing about how many people's holds we have the privilege of playing for the voting period :)

01-30-2013 at 12:44 PM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
I also submitted something. Sorry for it in advance ;)
01-30-2013 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
I made an entry as well.
01-30-2013 at 03:24 PM
D.Craven_0ne
Rank Points: 201
Awh... Still 1 more day to wait. :~(

Also, will the submissions topic be set to a normal state after the deadline? Or will there be a voting topic with the compilation hold? Just wana know how we get to see others works.

(yes... I did participate too)

01-30-2013 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
Obligatory contest entry post.

It should be easier than my entry in the last contest.

01-30-2013 at 04:08 PM
Pearls
Wow, you all need to calm down.

As of writing this, there are 15 (fifteen) contest entries.

The way they will be distributed for evaluation will be via a single compiled hold which I will have to you shortly after the contest is over.

In this "beta" version, the architect names will be scrubbed from the hub-note descriptions, other than the name of the entry you should be voting for. After the contest, I will reapply the names.

01-30-2013 at 04:16 PM
Pearls
Okay!

The contest is officially over but it's been canceled because Elfstone ignored me.

Alright maybe not.

Anyways, you guys have some absolute *treats* coming your way. Just give me a little time to make sure everything works properly. Making sure none of your scrolls give away who you are, etc etc etc. I'll have this done soon enough.

02-01-2013 at 05:57 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 597
Pearls wrote:
The contest is officially over but it's been canceled because Elfstone ignored me.

Uhh, Elfstone is away right now and won't be back for another week, I don't think.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

02-01-2013 at 06:40 AM
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
I wanted to pop in and say that I'm really sorry not to be able to contribute to this one.

I wanted to, but I'm currently trying to unlock an achievement in Life (get Masters Degree while under influence of pain medication and teaching full-time) and it's a surprisingly tricky one.

I hope, but do not anticipate, that at least one person did what I had planned to do: added a fifth room to represent DROD RPG. :)

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

02-01-2013 at 10:48 AM
Pearls
Trickster,

Holy hoobuffins, that sounds like a lot to handle! However, and this offer extends to everyone, if you'd like to submit a post-contest entry to be included in the Final Compilation, by all means.

02-01-2013 at 06:10 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Pearls wrote:
The contest is officially over but it's been canceled because Elfstone ignored me
I didn't; really I didn't; I wouldn't, I mean ... (lower lip quivers) I've been internet- and DROD-less for the last two and a bit weeks

navithmastero wrote: Uhh, Elfstone is away right now and won't be back for another week, I don't think. -nm
and I just got back today :)

02-10-2013 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD History Month (Sort of an art contest.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com