Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : An open letter to Zch and Kallor (It's important.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pearls
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 767
IP: Logged
icon An open letter to Zch and Kallor (+6)  
Dear Zch, Dear Kallor

I've recently been Let's Playing Gigantic Jewel Lost

(shameless self plug incoming:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPr-a6NiLBrwT4C2DUiKYQ63SB4l4tVCO&feature=view_all

)

and one thing is very clear to me that needs to be addressed. Here at Caravel, witchcraft and blood deals with Elder Gods is frowned upon, and a hold of this ridiculous quality is clearly the result of not hard work and brilliance on your part, but an external influence of evil forces.

Stop it. I'm having too much fun, but I know it is at the price of innocents, perhaps even their very souls. Just shameful.

But, I know you have it in you to produce quality holds without exploiting such nefarious means. However, no one has heard from you in forever, and this is also a problem. Come back, please. Your talent is missed. Gigantic Jewel Lost is amazing. It's beautiful and crazy clever.

We need you. Fix this.

-Love, Pearls

Click here to view the secret text

10-22-2012 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: An open letter to Zch and Kallor (0)  

ok.
10-23-2012 at 08:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Banjooie wrote:

ok.

I'm glad you agree.

10-23-2012 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Yes please.

10-23-2012 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Agreed - and for that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing a new geomatrx MetDROiD hold too.
10-23-2012 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pearls
TripleM wrote:
Agreed - and for that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing a new geomatrx MetDROiD hold too.

Which reminds me...I get a lot of suggestions as to what to play...is the MetDROid holds among that list? I hear about it, but don't get it suggested a lot. Since I'll be breaking (likely) GJL into chapters...I need suggestions for interludes. I can't handle all of Zch & Kallor's awesomeness at once.

10-24-2012 at 05:01 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I loved both MetDROiD and MetDROiD Prime, especially the latter because

a) I'd played all the Metroid games and was familiar with the layout (which was brilliantly implemented I might add)
b) It really felt different.

If you play for puzzles, there really aren't too many of those, or at least difficult ones. MetDROiD seems to be more horde management in that aspect. However, both had some fantastic boss battles that actually felt a little intense. It is a very different sort of DROD experience---a good one---but just different. Just like the games they are based on, you'll do a lot of backtracking through previously conquered (or unconquerable) rooms to unlock one part that then gives you access to another. Fair warning :)

I guess the thing that I enjoyed the most was that it was Metroid, in DROD, and very well done indeed. But it wasn't DROD for the most part.

10-24-2012 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Metdroid holds are... not good for interludes. If you abandon Echoes in particular for any length of time, you will be totally lost when you return to playing it.

I keep wanting to see you play some Cheap Trick entries, myself.

10-24-2012 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
icon Re: An open letter to Zch and Kallor (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:

I keep hearing of these and I don't really know what they are. Forum search HO!

EDIT: You mean this? http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=19673

[Last edited by Pearls at 10-24-2012 06:05 PM]
10-24-2012 at 06:00 PM
Jatopian
10-24-2012 at 06:25 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Jatopian wrote:
I fully support this suggestion.

10-24-2012 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Me too. Without reading the hint scrolls of course.

10-24-2012 at 08:24 PM
Pearls
Jacob wrote:
Me too. Without reading the hint scrolls of course.

Noted. Rather, I might eventually read them, if the trick proves cheap enough.

10-24-2012 at 08:43 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
If I recollect correctly, there were one or two that weren't just cheap, they were on the order of "I'd never figure out the exact sequence to kill these monsters" sort of evil. And some are just tedious.

But most are figure-outable within a quick amount of time, clever, and very fun.

10-24-2012 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
west.logan wrote:
If I recollect correctly, there were one or two that weren't just cheap, they were on the order of "I'd never figure out the exact sequence to kill these monsters" sort of evil.

So Larrymurk made them, got it.

10-24-2012 at 09:23 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
If I recollect correctly, I do believe my entry came in first:)
10-24-2012 at 10:10 PM
Jatopian
As I recall, Larry's entry won and was ironically far less cheap than many others. But the finalists are all pretty good; it's once one moves on to the ones that didn't make it to the Banana Peel league that you might want to start getting recommendations from someone who has some memory of the contest.

10-24-2012 at 11:15 PM
Kallor
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 277
icon Re: An open letter to Zch and Kallor (+3)  
Glad you like it Pearls. I actually wathed you play most of the first level on those YouTube videos. There is clearly a reason why real game developers apparently test their games by having the testers talk like that on a video, it was educational as well as entertainig. (Of course our original testers did a great job for which I am forever grateful, just saying that this is a great way to get into the players head.)

Zch has been working on a big beginner-level hold for a while (years) now, just not lately. I have played it and I can tell you it's cool, let's hope it will be ready some day :)

10-25-2012 at 03:20 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I'm loving the playthrough, keep it up Pearls.

Truly an exceptional hold!
10-25-2012 at 04:34 PM
Jacob
Thanks for inspiring me to give this hold another go.
I'm actually completing some rooms this time round (with only minimal hints/reference to your let's play).

Do you want to know the horrific truth about your solution to 5N2W??

10-26-2012 at 05:53 PM
Pearls
Jacob wrote:
Thanks for inspiring me to give this hold another go.
I'm actually completing some rooms this time round (with only minimal hints/reference to your let's play).

Do you want to know the horrific truth about your solution to 5N2W??

What, that doing the south chamber first is possible? I don't even want to think about that.

10-26-2012 at 05:56 PM
Jacob
Not that I'm able to do - though I would not be hugely surprised if someone could do it.

[Edit: the 2nd top demo does do the south chamber first, so there's at least 3 ways to do this room]

No, in fact

[Last edited by Jacob at 10-26-2012 06:28 PM]
10-26-2012 at 06:20 PM
Pearls
Jacob wrote:
Not that I'm able to do - though I would not be hugely surprised if someone could do it.

No, in fact

...what...

Oh, so the top room is doable in one go?

[Last edited by Pearls at 10-26-2012 06:28 PM]
10-26-2012 at 06:24 PM
Jacob
Three ways to do the room that I can see:

I wonder which was intended.

[Last edited by Jacob at 10-26-2012 06:33 PM]
10-26-2012 at 06:32 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I personally solved the room using the third solution in that list.

10-26-2012 at 07:52 PM
Kallor
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 277
icon Re: An open letter to Zch and Kallor (+2)  
Jacob, the intended way is:

10-26-2012 at 08:48 PM
Zch
Rank Points: 503
icon Open reply to Pearls (+7)  
Hello Pearls

Pearls wrote:
Dear Zch, Dear Kallor

I've recently been Let's Playing Gigantic Jewel Lost

(shameless self plug incoming:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPr-a6NiLBrwT4C2DUiKYQ63SB4l4tVCO&feature=view_all
)

I have been watching your lets plays, both GJL and other holds, and I must say they are most entertaining.
It is of course great and educational to see our hold being played and hear the thoughts of the player,
but I loved the other LPs too, so it is not just that, your videos are entertaining on their own too.

That's really weird actually, never thought I would rather spend time watching other person play a game, than playing it myself...

and one thing is very clear to me that needs to be addressed. Here at Caravel, witchcraft and blood deals with Elder Gods is frowned upon, and a hold of this ridiculous quality is clearly the result of not hard work and brilliance on your part, but an external influence of evil forces.

Stop it. I'm having too much fun, but I know it is at the price of innocents, perhaps even their very souls. Just shameful.

Don't worry about the witchcraft and blood deals. We have everythin under control.
Suffering of innocents is kept strictly under acceptable levels, and no major catastrophe or
disaster has ever been proven to be because of the alleged influence of evil forces.

And don't believe what you might have heard, the Lights out puzzle thing of DEWMC has been exaggerated
wildly out of proportions.

I mean, come on, everybody loves light out puzzles, right.

But, I know you have it in you to produce quality holds without exploiting such nefarious means. However, no one has heard from you in forever, and this is also a problem. Come back, please. Your talent is missed. Gigantic Jewel Lost is amazing. It's beautiful and crazy clever.

We need you. Fix this.

-Love, Pearls

I wish I had more time to make drod-holds, but my life is kind of crazy busy right now :(
I do have the beginner-level-hold thing that Kallor mentioned on my computer, waiting for me
to get back to it. There's actually quite few puzzles in that thing already too.

I'd also like to see sequel to DEWMC and GJL, I even have a name for it already.

Let's do this: I'll put the beginner-level-hold thing on architecture board, in the state it is on that moment,
when you master our hold and publish the final video of your GJL-lets-play.

Anyway, your Let's plays are fantastic. Please make more!

ps: Sorry about me taking embarassingly long to reply this.
11-22-2012 at 01:37 PM
Pearls
icon Re: Open reply to Pearls (+1)  
Zch wrote:

Let's do this: I'll put the beginner-level-hold thing on architecture board, in the state it is on that moment,
when you master our hold and publish the final video of your GJL-lets-play.

Oh. Oh. The gauntlet has been thrown and suddenly the DROD community turns their gaze of avarice to me. Well played, Zch, very well played. But mastering...oh this is going to hurt.

I accept!

11-24-2012 at 01:30 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
I don't play the non-RPG games any more, but I still enjoyed watching Pearls' videos. It's really impressive to see a hold that combines puzzles and artistic layouts so effectively, and has attractive new styles especially to go with it.

I can't help wondering, is there any chance of ever having RPG versions of the styles? ;)

11-26-2012 at 10:06 PM
Pearls
icon Re: An open letter to Zch and Kallor (+1)  
So I recently completed (and uploaded) up through Underground lake. I haven't had this much fun with Stalwarts ever. Ever. Though, some of those secret rooms look brutal, overall, I found the interconnectedness of the rooms to be very tasty. The best kinds of secrets, in my opinion, are ones that require you do something special to gain access to them, and you do this very interestingly. There's one (a goblin woods secret, IIRC) that I'm completely stumped as to how to gain access to, but all in good time.

Overall, so far, so amazingly good. I've started recording my videos for Lava Land, and this may be my favorite area yet.

[Last edited by Pearls at 11-28-2012 06:54 PM]
11-28-2012 at 06:52 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : An open letter to Zch and Kallor (It's important.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com