Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Look! Links! (For posting cool links for all to see)
<<48495051
Page 52 of 56
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Re: Look! Links! (0)  
What.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-30-2012 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Look! Links! (+1)  
The Order of the Stick Reprint Drive is breaking all kinds of Kickstarter records. Right now it's the 7th highest grossing Kickstart of all time, fastest to $100,000, fastest to its goal, and it's got to be approaching the most backers by now. It's also on pace to be the first Kickstart to reach a million dollars.

Beyond that, Order of the Stick is a rather funny comic done by Rich Burlew. The point of the drive was just to get one of his out of print books back in print, and it's now far surpassed that and become part of Kickstarter history. I pledged, and I think other people should too.

02-04-2012 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Glad to see that such a worthy cause gets people to mobilize so quickly. :rolleyes

02-04-2012 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Who peed in your Beethr-Os, Dischorran?

02-04-2012 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
A list of culture from the United States.

The point of the article is to show that, yes, the United States had not "stolen" all of their culture and history from other countries.

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 03-06-2012 03:07 AM]
03-06-2012 at 03:07 AM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Toy Shining
A 25 panel storyboard mash-up of The Shining and Toy Story 3. (Lol'd at the one of Lloyd the bartender.)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 03-09-2012 06:11 PM]
03-09-2012 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
An inside look on Apple's newest product.

03-26-2012 at 09:49 PM
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
The Art of Rendering at fxguide is an article about rendering (as in computer graphics).

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-art-of-rendering/
04-11-2012 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
icon Re: Look! Links! (+2)  
The most stunningly beautiful version of the Jurassic Park theme you'll ever hear:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-most-stunningly-beautiful-version-of-the-juras,68576/

Made me laugh, it did.
04-25-2012 at 08:06 PM
Panther
Rank Points: 402
Ok, this is kind of old, but I only just saw it semi-recently, and thought it was great. So, for anyone else who hasn't seen this yet, enjoy:
Oktapodi
04-29-2012 at 07:20 PM
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
Okay, so this is a bit of self-pimpage, but I've been writing movie reviews at HubPages for the past few months. And I just wrote up a hub for The Avengers. Seriously, everyone should go see that one.

Click here to view the secret text

05-05-2012 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Garlonuss wrote:
And I just wrote up a hub for The Avengers. Seriously, everyone should go see that one.
Heh - waaay ahead of you there. I almost couldn't believe it opened in Austria almost a week before the US... :P

Also, seriously - go see that movie, it's just that good. :)

05-05-2012 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Briareos wrote:
Also, seriously - go see that movie, it's just that good. :)
I wonder if it will be in not-3D here... :?

05-06-2012 at 08:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
skell wrote:
You'd better get the option or I'm calling foul. This one is a 3D conversion and with the exception of Titanic, those have always been a waste of money for me.

Click here to view the secret text

05-06-2012 at 11:03 AM
Briareos
skell wrote:
There's glasses for that - just get some that are polarized the same on both sides. Or are your cinemas using that hideous shutter crap stuff?

That said, I found the 3D not much of a problem, even though it was converted-to-3D stuff; the negative milestone for that is still "Alice in Pukefest Wonderland"...

05-06-2012 at 11:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
I'm looking forward to The Hobbit. They increased the frame rate from 24 to 48. I hear that people don't get headaches from watching 3D at that speed.

I wish that man would stay away
05-07-2012 at 12:03 AM
12th Archivist
3D images are harder to process than 2D images. Flashing more than one 3D shot per second, with the two or more shots being especially different (like intense scenes in action movies), is like watching a 2D movie at 1.25 or 1.5 times the normal speed. Your brain ends up skipping over individual shots, which confuses you and starts giving you a headache.

The Hobbit had better be so much more amazing in 3D if the produces really feel the need to "upgrade" the movie. Not everything is better in 3D, after all.

05-07-2012 at 12:26 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
The spitemaster wrote:
I'm looking forward to The Hobbit. They increased the frame rate from 24 to 48. I hear that people don't get headaches from watching 3D at that speed.
In my unscientific opinion, the frame rate isn't the (main) problem. The problem is that the "3D" optical illusion is, obviously, still projected on a 2D plane.

Some cognitive bits of your brain are fooled into thinking the eyes are looking a three-dimensional scene. Everyday experience suggests that we should then be able to focus our eyes to different distances.

But of course that's a false assumption -- the screen is still a 2-dimensional plane at a fixed distance, and if you try to focus in front or behind it, the seemingly-3D image unexpectedly goes blurry all over. Other bits of your brain pick up on this very quickly and correct the focus back to what it was.

My point being: With audiences sitting there for two hours with their lens muscles being instructed to pull both ways simultaneously, I'm surprised that there are people who don't develop a headache.

My other point: If you want to see a 3D performance, go to the theatre. A screen projection can't deliver 3D, and needs to stop trying.
05-07-2012 at 09:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Znirk wrote: Some long text
Agreed. Not to mention the fact that I find the glasses they give you at the cinema extremely bulky and uncomfortable, they are too tight for my head and I hate the fact that I have to keep still and can't move my body and head around because, if I am not looking straight forward, it gets blurry for me.

Oh and the effect is nowhere near as advertised, only slightly "deeper" but no the-ball-is-flying-over-your-head stuff.

05-07-2012 at 09:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
skell wrote:
Znirk wrote: Some long text
Agreed. Not to mention the fact that I find the glasses they give you at the cinema extremely bulky and uncomfortable, they are too tight for my head and I hate the fact that I have to keep still and can't move my body and head around because, if I am not looking straight forward, it gets blurry for me.
Hoo boy - looks like you've got one of those crappy theatres that are using shutter glasses; here they're using polarized glasses, and those are little more than a glasses frame with some plastic sheet in it.

You can even get those filters as clip-ons that attach to your existing classes, and the glasses themselves cost just a handful of USD/EUR each...

05-07-2012 at 04:40 PM
skell
Briareos wrote:
Hoo boy - looks like you've got one of those crappy theatres that are using shutter glasses; here they're using polarized glasses, and those are little more than a glasses frame with some plastic sheet in it.
Nah, I am fairly sure they are polarized glasses, just big and bulky and cheap. A big piece of plastic with two plastic pieces of glass.

05-07-2012 at 04:54 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Look! Links! (+2)  
Hey, do you guys remember my forum game DROD Survivor? Well, it just so happens that I am currently co-hosting another long-form Survivor message board game over at survivorchronicles2.yuku.com. We're currently seeking applicants, and I figured I'd cash in some of my hard-earned rank points to see if any of you would be interested in playing. That's what rank points are for, right?

Survivor is a long-running CBS reality TV competition, where each round, several contestants compete in various challenges before voting out a single player from the game. This cycle continues until there is one final player left, who is declared the winner. Survivor is social, dramatic, emotional, and very fun to play.

Our emphasis for this season is on recruiting players who are new to the Survivor online community, so any of you would qualify, regardless of your familiarity with the game or if you played in my forum game in the past.

If you'd like to apply, check out this thread. Applications are upen until Friday (and realistically, most anybody who applies will get in). If you have any questions, feel free contact me. Thanks!

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 05-13-2012 06:25 PM]
05-13-2012 at 06:24 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
05-14-2012 at 08:07 PM
Jatopian
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/steam-may-be-the-most-important-service-for-indies-and-valves-first-no-may- Here is a nice link for Caravel. For some reason the hyphen at the end makes it not play nice with the [url] tag.

05-30-2012 at 12:58 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Jatopian wrote:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/steam-may-be-the-most-important-service-for-indies-and-valves-first-no-may- Here is a nice link for Caravel. For some reason the hyphen at the end makes it not play nice with the [url] tag.
Ah, so if I'm reading this right, I want to overwhelm them with positive data about DROD. I need people to throw such links my way so that I have sufficient evidence to send my friendly neighborhood Steam reviewer. I need help here -- I can't possibly find all the material that you all already know about. Send me PMs with links, either citing people here on the forum, but more importantly in other places around the nets. I'll keep a log of these, then send them off when I have a good load of them.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-30-2012 01:39 AM]
05-30-2012 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
mrimer wrote: Ah, so if I'm reading this right, I want to overwhelm them with positive data about DROD. I need people to throw such links my way so that I have sufficient evidence to send my friendly neighborhood Steam reviewer. I need help here -- I can't possibly find all the material that you all already know about. Send me PMs with links, either citing people here on the forum, but more importantly in other places around the nets. I'll keep a log of these, then send them off when I have a good load of them.
There's also the Press Clippings board, where we can put things and which may be a good place to start.

05-30-2012 at 01:54 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Jatopian wrote:
mrimer wrote: Ah, so if I'm reading this right, I want to overwhelm them with positive data about DROD. I need people to throw such links my way so that I have sufficient evidence to send my friendly neighborhood Steam reviewer. I need help here -- I can't possibly find all the material that you all already know about. Send me PMs with links, either citing people here on the forum, but more importantly in other places around the nets. I'll keep a log of these, then send them off when I have a good load of them.
There's also the Press Clippings board, where we can put things and which may be a good place to start.
Sure, if people want to post there, that's good too.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-30-2012 at 03:31 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
He also collected quotes from gamers who mentioned that they wished the game was available via Steam, and saying they would prefer to buy it that way.

So maybe if people post in the (already existing) thread about getting DROD on steam, and say how much they think it's a good idea, that itself can be used as evidence.

Also, if one of the limiting factors is that there are is a small number of people vetting games who have to read the e-mails and download the games to try out, maybe sending a link to FlashDROD would make their lives easier and they could get a better feel for how DROD works.

[Last edited by Jacob at 05-30-2012 01:35 PM]
05-30-2012 at 01:28 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Okay. This is just too funny not to share:

http://twitpic.com/9mftyi

05-31-2012 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
west.logan wrote:
Okay. This is just too funny not to share:

http://twitpic.com/9mftyi

Because I am a big fan of describing the contents of links, so that people can judge whether or not to click on them:

This picture contains a dog wearing a silly outfit. However it's a kind of outfit I'd never seen before and is obviously a product of a creative mind, so it's better than most pictures of the sort. This recommendation comes from a 19-year-old male.

06-01-2012 at 01:03 AM
<<48495051
Page 52 of 56
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Look! Links! (For posting cool links for all to see)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com