Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Lateral puzzle thread. (A thread where you can post some lateral thinking puzzles.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
IP: Logged
icon Lateral puzzle thread. (0)  
I have decided that I am going to make a lateral puzzle thread for all of us to enjoy.

Rule: If you solve a puzzle get ready to have one for the forum because their going to try and solve it.

Puzzle: 3 men: 1st one is a lawyer, 2nd is an explorer, 3rd is yet another lawyer. 1st lawyer decides to get a refreshment and the explorer comes with him. The explorer takes his thermos with him. Later on that evening the other lawyer goes to check what was going on, He sees 1st lawyer cold on the ground.(trying to not get graphic here)

What was the murder weapon? Try to solve it. ;)
01-01-2008 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Lateral puzzle thread. (0)  
Explorer in the refreshment place with a thermos. Or bare hands. Or something.

01-01-2008 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Jatopian wrote:
Explorer in the refreshment place with a thermos.

Your getting fairly warm.
01-01-2008 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
He used the Evilly Hot Tea (TM), which was stored in the Thermos, to smite upon the first lawyer for having a name beginning with D!

It's so obvious!

01-01-2008 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I'm going to go with "the explorer strangled the lawyer with his own tie" or some such nonsense as that.

I don't much like lateral thinking puzzles in the context of a web forum since there are any number of reasonable answers to any situation (most of the time) and people posting puzzles from books often leave out important details.

01-01-2008 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Lateral puzzle thread. (+1)  
Lateral thinking puzzles are good yes, but only if you're allowed to ask questions of someone who knows the answer. Otherwise there could be any number of possible explanations, and it's just guesswork.

Incidentally, in this one, the murder weapon was a dagger/knife made of ice that was stored in the thermos. Once melted, no weapon could be found.

01-02-2008 at 01:17 AM
roach strangler
Excellent thinking Calamarian!

Now you must challenge us with one.

[Last edited by roach strangler at 01-02-2008 01:46 AM]
01-02-2008 at 01:44 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
There wasn't any thinking involved, roach strangler. That's the point! I only knew that one because I'd heard it before. There is no sane way I could have produced that answer if I didn't know it without having several questions answered by the one who posed the puzzle.

Lateral thinking puzzles only work if you can ask questions.

01-02-2008 at 02:05 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
What was the relevance of there being two lawyers are one explorer? If none, it's a pretty poor lateral thinking puzzle.

[Last edited by Jacob at 01-02-2008 04:24 PM]
01-02-2008 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
You don't have to be able to ask questions. You could just give a puzzle with enough detail that there is only one answer.

01-09-2008 at 06:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
That would require a novel, and I'd still probably be able to find a *possible* alternate solution.

01-09-2008 at 12:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
In my opinion the whole purpose of lateral puzzles is being able to ask questions. See the lateral puzzles in the "Puzzle tag" thread for examples.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-09-2008 at 12:40 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Actually, I have a better solution to the initial puzzle. The cause of death is hypothermia, it was extremely cold and windy and the lawyer was dressed inappropriately for the weather. After the explorer poured a thermosful of cold water over him, he didn't stand a chance.

It's a better solution because it uses the additional information that the lawyer is not an explorer, and therefore doesn't know to dress for cold weather or read the signs that tell it's going to be windy soon.

01-09-2008 at 12:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
How about we be able to ask questions in the topic?

I know Calamarian suggested that, but it hasn't exactly been implemented yet.

01-10-2008 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Bind a temporary to a non-const reference. (there are two solutions, one uses C++09 and it's the easy one)
01-12-2008 at 03:41 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Lateral puzzle thread. (A thread where you can post some lateral thinking puzzles.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com