Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : make stair placement place only stairs
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon make stair placement place only stairs (+3)  
You know how when stairs are being placed in the editor, it automatically tries to surround it with wall and floor in a certain pattern, and it throws a tantrum if it can't, so we have to work around it gingerly? This upsets me greatly, and I can't be the only one. Why should stairs have a specific pattern of wall and floor around them? Why should we have to work extra hard to have our stairs lead down into a pit, or have them in a non-rectangular shape? Could we please have stair placing place only stairs, square by square, and nothing else?

12-01-2007 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
icon Re: make stair placement place only stairs (0)  
I hereby stamp this request with a big, green YES!

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

12-01-2007 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I agree. There have been several threads complaining about (for instance) KDD Level 1's stair placement and how to obtain it, and I think it would be great to make it easier to place non-wall-bounded staircases, for things such as... well... staircases in aboveground buildings.

12-01-2007 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
I like it, though there is the slight issue of multiple staircases being placed next to each other.
12-04-2007 at 07:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
BDR wrote:
I like it, though there is the slight issue of multiple staircases being placed next to each other.

More like a cheap trick :)

And it's not as though they were being stopped by the current method anyway - it just takes longer, as you have to copy and paste staircase tiles, then delete walls.

12-04-2007 at 11:00 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: make stair placement place only stairs (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
Could we please have stair placing place only stairs, square by square, and nothing else?

oh "yes please" to this one! :thumbsup
I have found placing stairs a problem in the little bit of building I've done. They can end up spoiling the look of floor pictures and they can't be made to go round corners, or across a room, never mind turn as a spiral stair would.
I would very much like stairs to be more versatile. I would like damp rugged stairs to go down into cellars and broad grand stairs to approach throne rooms and steep twisting stairs to go up into turrets and narrow ricketty stairs to go in secret ways to unexpected places. I would like stairs that project from walls and stairs with arches under them (where monsters could hide) and stairs with oak bannisters and stairs with marble ballustrades; stairs with rope railings and stairs with carpets and tapestries draped over them and . . .

ummm, have I got carried away again? :unsure
ok, I'll just go and sit quietly over here :~(

12-05-2007 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: make stair placement place only stairs (+1)  
Isn't that a poet's job? To get carried away and write about it :D ?
12-05-2007 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Also for aesthetic reasons (mainly just for symmetry), I'd quite like some stairs that face left and right.

12-05-2007 at 07:44 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Elfstone wrote:
I would very much like stairs to be more versatile. I would like damp rugged stairs to go down into cellars and broad grand stairs to approach throne rooms and steep twisting stairs to go up into turrets and narrow ricketty stairs to go in secret ways to unexpected places. I would like stairs that project from walls and stairs with arches under them (where monsters could hide) and stairs with oak bannisters and stairs with marble ballustrades; stairs with rope railings and stairs with carpets and tapestries draped over them and . . .
Seconded. QFE. Whatever other form of saying 'yes that's a wonderful idea' I need to attach.

I particularly like the hidey-hole for monsters. That's a nice touch.

[Last edited by Hikari at 12-06-2007 03:45 PM]
12-06-2007 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Jacob wrote:
Also for aesthetic reasons (mainly just for symmetry), I'd quite like some stairs that face left and right.

I'd agree with this one. If I may make a suggestion? With Erik's permission, we could easily hack up some left/right facing stair tiles from the existing ones. We'd have to use scripting to get the level ending properly (perhaps a mini cutscene where Beethro descends the stairs first), but then we'd have left/right stairs without so much of a problem.

12-06-2007 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Yeah, but left/right stairs should not have to be scripted.

12-06-2007 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
Here's an idea:

Instead of 4 different types of stairs in all directions, we can make it only one type, and have it rotate-able in the editor, the way tunnels do it.

-Insane
12-06-2007 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Exactly.

12-06-2007 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
At the risk of derailing my own thread, I think the solution would be to implement "image stairs" in the same way as image floor/pit/water/wall, and left/right stairs. And get rid of the automatic wall/floor bit as I said in the OP.

12-06-2007 at 10:26 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Jatopian wrote:
Could we please have stair placing place only stairs, square by square, and nothing else?
Changing stair plotting behavior to this in the 5.0 room editor.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-20-2012 at 05:02 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : make stair placement place only stairs
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com