Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Hold converter (3.1/3.0.2-r2 to 3.0.0) (A small utility I hacked toghether in a couple of hours. Hopefully useful.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
IP: Logged

File: ScriptConv.zip (34.1 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
icon Hold converter (3.1/3.0.2-r2 to 3.0.0) (+12)  
...yeah.

Some of you have had problems importing 3.0.2-r2 holds with scripts to 3.0.0 (more specifically: the scripts "disappear"). Here's a small, quickly hacked together utility to convert the hold files to the 3.0.0 hold format (wrt scripts).

The attached zip-file contains the platform-independent .jar along with a Windows executable (a launcher - it must be in the same directory as the .jar) and a very basic shell script to start the (optional and very minimalistic) GUI.

Quick help for command line options
Usage: java -jar ScriptConv.jar [-gui] <holdfile>.hold

-gui       Start the GUI.
<holdfile> The .hold file to convert. The output will be put in "<holdfile>_300.hold"
WARNING: Any existing "<holdfile>_300.hold" file will be overwritten!

If a moderator thinks this post should have been posted on the Development-board, then you can go ahead and move it there. The only reason I didn't post there was because not very many people seem to read it.

Edit: Updated to also work with 3.1 holds.

[Last edited by Stefan at 09-01-2007 02:41 PM]
05-19-2007 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Hold converter (3.0.2-r2 to 3.0.0) (+1)  
Stefan wrote:
<holdfile> The .hold file to convert. The output will be put in "<holdfile>.hold"

could you not have made it output to <holdfile>_300.hold? just a thought, but it seems more user/testing friendly.

(oh, and good job :) ).

[Last edited by silver at 05-19-2007 05:31 AM]
05-19-2007 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
silver wrote:
could you not have made it output to <holdfile>_300.hold? just a thought, but it seems more user/testing friendly.
Sure, but I was just too lazy to think about user friendliness too much. Laziness is also the reason for the current GUI layout. :)

My main objective was to get it to work at all.

Edit: Done.

[Last edited by Stefan at 05-19-2007 05:47 AM]
05-19-2007 at 05:37 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Oh my god you rock my world so hard. May the deity or natural force of your choosing rain down blessings upon your head unto the seventh generation.
05-19-2007 at 06:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 864
icon Re: Hold converter (3.0.2-r2 to 3.0.0) (0)  
Hooray for Stefan. I was planning to try this sort of thing today as an automated email response system, since none of my dev tools are Windows-friendly. But I'm sure that would have been much more painful than just knowing a bit of Java like that.
05-19-2007 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan

File: ScriptConv.tar.gz (25.7 KB)
Downloaded 24 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
icon Re: Hold converter (3.0.2-r2 to 3.0.0) (+2)  
Ok, let's try something just to see if it works. (I'd be interested to know if it does.)

Attached is a tarred and gzipped Mac OS X bundle containing the utility. The way this should work is that, once you've uncompressed it, you should be able to launch and use the utility like any other normal OS X application.

So, issuing a
tar -xvzf ScriptConv.tgz
(or using your favourite tar/archive utility) should uncompress the ScriptConv.app directory.

Now, if any of you Mac users could test this I'd be very grateful.

Also note that if this launcher doesn't work, you can always launch the utility in OS X the "normal" way (from the console/shell/command line/whateveryouwanttocallit or using the shell script) as described in the first post. However, if you need to resort to that, I'd be interested to know the location of your JavaApplicationStub file (I'm currently assuming it's located in "/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub").

[Last edited by Stefan at 08-31-2007 01:35 AM : new version]
05-19-2007 at 05:42 PM
schep
Rank Points: 864
Uh, okay, but why would anyone want to run this converter on a Mac, seeing as there's no such thing as DROD 3.0.2r2 for Mac?

I guess to convert holds which somebody exported from 3.0.2r2 and then posted, maybe. But in that case, the author should be pointed at this thread and asked to post a 3.0.0 version, considering that there is no DROD capable of correctly importing 3.0.2r2 holds.

[Last edited by schep at 05-19-2007 06:56 PM]
05-19-2007 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
I'm working with a hold that actually base on characters setting the sword off. I can't just use ormites, because I need Beethro to be sword-less through the whole room even when standing on tunnels/gates...
Does that effect work in 3.0.0?

05-26-2007 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Yes, that works - you can use Set Player Sword, or use a disarming token.

05-26-2007 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Wow!!!!! That was really easy to use!

Thanks a lot Stefan! :Notworthy

Edit: soo... how do i get ridd of 3.0.2-r2? :no
When I tries to download 3.0.0 again this messag schows up: This product is no longer available for download, this may be due to the maximum number of allowed attempts exceeded or the allotted time.

[Last edited by Rheb at 05-26-2007 02:45 PM]
05-26-2007 at 02:38 PM
Rheb
Ohh, thanks Wallu.

05-26-2007 at 04:00 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Rheb wrote:
When I tries to download 3.0.0 again this messag schows up: This product is no longer available for download, this may be due to the maximum number of allowed attempts exceeded or the allotted time.
Exactly why didn't you keep the installer in the first place?

Downloading an installer for important stuff then deleting it really mystifies me... just like deleting email as soon as it's read does... :look

np: Vladislav Delay - Lumi (Whistleblower)

05-26-2007 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Well, an installer uses up more than a few kb, you know...
05-26-2007 at 08:25 PM
Briareos
Dex Stewart wrote:
Well, an installer uses up more than a few kb, you know...
And the installed program uses even more... so what? Disc space is cheap nowadays, and for everything else there's the backup media of your choice...

np: Slicker - Knock Me Down Girl (Telefon Tel Aviv Remix) (Telefon Tel Aviv Remixes Compiled)

05-26-2007 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Why would I keep up to several hundred MB worth of installer on my hard drive, when I might want..you know, to put something else on my hard drive instead?
05-26-2007 at 09:25 PM
Briareos
Banjooie wrote:
Why would I keep up to several hundred MB worth of installer on my hard drive, when I might want..you know, to put something else on my hard drive instead?
<rant>
Because 105MB (to put your "several hundred" into perspective) is not even a drop in the bucket nowadays? A 400GB Samsung drive (which would be able to store about 3600 copies of the TCB Windows setup file, and has the best bang for the buck) goes for under 80 EUR around here...

A CD able to hold the installer a bit less than 7 times costs far less than a single Euro...

So why does everyone seem so low on disc space nowadays that this space is so incredibly cheap? (The first 20MB hard drive my dad bought for our Atari ST was a monster, and cost probably more than the Atari it was connected to...)

Because people can't spare a bit of room for stuff they paid for, as opposed to other random cruft that builds up and just sits there? :huh

I don't get it... I've got 500 GB of hard drive space here and 230 GB are still unused...
</rant>

np: Anders Ilar - Ludwijka 1 (Ludwijka Extended Visit)

05-26-2007 at 10:00 PM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Briareos wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
<rant>
Because 105MB (to put your "several hundred" into perspective) is not even a drop in the bucket nowadays?

To put THIS into perspective, remember that generally people install more than one program by downloadable installer. Lets say someone has only installed say, 10 such programs. And lets say they're all as small as DROD. Well, thats still a gig of installers, even there.

But thats not the big issue. Now, its been a year. They want to reinstall a couple of these programs, ok? Most of them have been through 3, maybe 4 patch cycles. Now.. have they been saving the patches right alongside the installers? Or maybe saving new installed versions? So they use the old installer, then the newest patch they've saved, then check the website and see there's a newer patch anyway, right?

WRONG.

They do one of two things.

Either:
A) They just download the new installer. So meanwhile they've been eating up their hard drive space with something they'll never use.

or

B) They just figure, oh, hey, I've still got the installer! Sweet! And they end up with an old version.

And this is why keeping old installers on your drive usually isn't worth the bother. I've got a CD with installers for core security, archiving and privacy tools. I sometimes keep installers for things I specifically expect to get messed up and need to be reinstalled. Other than that, installers are 1.) a drain on space, but more importantly 2.) usually not all that useful to keep forever.

05-26-2007 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Rank Points: 479
Awesome, Stefan, AWESOME! Now the speech bug is almost fixed with your program! You're the best, you solved our problems! Keep the good work up! :thumbsup

05-26-2007 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Beef Row wrote:
And this is why keeping old installers on your drive usually isn't worth the bother.
Well, maybe it's just me, but I hardly ever bother to delete the things I've downloaded, due to sheer laziness - they just pile up in my download folder. Why delete stuff that has the slightest chance of being needed a second time when my hard disc is still half empty? Maybe it's just my years of dial-up where I had to pay for every minute of being online, but I still detest having to re-download stuff even if I have a cable modem...

And every few years when I build a new computer I just start a new download folder and pull stuff I want to install or keep over the network from the old machine. Problem solved.

But I think we should really discuss this somewhere else, as this is absolutely derailing this thread...

np: Anders Ilar - Ludwijka 9 (Ludwijka Extended Visit)

05-26-2007 at 10:57 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
80 euros is somewhere in the range of, like, 180 canadian or some crap, right?

Maybe you've got $180 to drop wherever the hell you like, but I sure don't.
05-30-2007 at 08:09 PM
Briareos
Banjooie wrote:
I wish - if that were the case, I'd be buying stuff from DVDBoxOffice.com like mad...

Sadly enough, it's "only" 115 CAD.

Maybe you've got $180 to drop wherever the hell you like, but I sure don't.
Other than building a new PC every few years I spend very little cash on computer stuff in-between so those 80EUR are practically spread out over several months.

Not that big of an investment, if you ask me...

(then again I'm burning quite a lot of money on CDs, DVDs and books...)

np: Håkan Lidbo - Call For Islam (Dunka Dunka)

05-30-2007 at 10:04 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Banjooie wrote:
Pounds sterling maybe (171 according to Google), but not Euros.
05-30-2007 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
icon Re: Hold converter (3.1/3.0.2-r2 to 3.0.0) (0)  
I've updated the utility to also work with holds in the new 3.1 format.

Not really thoroughly tested yet (I've tried it once...), but it should work.

08-31-2007 at 01:38 AM
Dolan42
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 195
Stefan wrote:
I've updated the utility to also work with holds in the new 3.1 format.

Not really thoroughly tested yet (I've tried it once...), but it should work.
"It worked once, ship it" -anonymous Microsoft executive.

08-31-2007 at 05:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Hold converter (3.1/3.0.2-r2 to 3.0.0) (+1)  
I can confirm that the converter did, in fact, work again.

Original 3.1 hold
Converted hold

08-31-2007 at 03:14 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
It says it can't access the jar file! >_> What do I do?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

09-01-2007 at 12:01 PM
Lst6
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 211
Ok, it seems that the executable want to acces the jar file from a location that doesnt exist, it asks it to be in a folder called build, so to make it work just take these steps.

1- Locate the folder where the script converter is.
2- Create there a new folder called build.
3- Move the .jar file there. Now the executable has it where it wants it and will now work.

Things related to the Bar:

Working on: NOTHING
Accomplishments i'm proud of:
-Solving the bar riddle
09-01-2007 at 12:25 PM
Stefan
icon Re: Hold converter (3.1/3.0.2-r2 to 3.0.0) (+2)  
Lst6 wrote:
Ok, it seems that the executable want to acces the jar file from a location that doesnt exist, it asks it to be in a folder called build, so to make it work just take these steps.
Argh, I thought I'd already fixed that once. Anyway, it should be fixed now.

09-01-2007 at 02:45 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Something bizarre happened to me when I was trying to use this converter. I ran the executable (in windows vista) and it said "Yay". I then tried to upload the converted file to a thread on the forum, and the file was no-where to be found, the same being true for the original file. Both files seemed to have vanished from the computer (confirmed by running a search for them). However, despite them not being visible in the original folder (Homemade), I can still see them in game when I'm at the import/export hold screen. So somehow the files are hidden from Windows but visible to DROD. How can this make sense?

10-01-2007 at 11:24 AM
Briareos
Jacob wrote:
How can this make sense?
Windows Vista doesn't like users writing stuff into program installation directories, so it'll redirect files written there to somewhere in your user profile directory. I think there's an icon in the toolbar in explorer to show the redirected files for your "homemade" folder, but I don't have Vista so I wouldn't know where.

Anyway, try exporting to some other folder like "C:\Temp" and it should work...

10-01-2007 at 02:01 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Hold converter (3.1/3.0.2-r2 to 3.0.0) (A small utility I hacked toghether in a couple of hours. Hopefully useful.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com