Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : In-Game Chat on Saturday.
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon In-Game Chat on Saturday. (0)  
I'm scheduling two in-game chat sessions tomorrow, 12 hours apart. I'll go to both of them, and encourage others to join in. The two times are shown below:

Local Time:12-08-2007 at 07:00 PM - Chat Session One

Local Time:12-09-2007 at 07:00 AM - Chat Session Two

If you have your timezone set correctly in your profile, the times above will be adjusted automatically to your local timezone.

So who will show up? I want to hear at least one person for each session, or I'll cancel.

-Erik

12-07-2007 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: In-Game Chat on Saturday. (0)  
Man, I hate the timing... For me the first one is 8 PM and the second one is 8 AM. I have to go to a party, so I won't be at home in the evening and I'll need my sleep in the morning :( .
12-07-2007 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
I've got a robot competition to judge until about 3. And then I'm sure there's going to be hanging out with people for a while, too. And the time scheduled is 1 for me.

12-07-2007 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I'm free, but I won't have Internet on my DROD PC, or DROD on the Internet PC. Which is usual. Too bad we don't have that external client.

12-07-2007 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
The second one works for me. It falls at 11pm my time. I have tried the chat once but didn't chat myself.

12-07-2007 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
I will be at session one.

12-07-2007 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I can make the first one, probably. It's not a great time for me, but I don't think that I ĺl have any trouble making it (remembering it is a different problem).

Just thinking though, seeing as we have very few Asian users (Japan comes in with #1 for Asia, with 14), and I can't name any, might it be worth moving one of the times such as to have one directed at European users and one directed at North American users?

If there's any board frequenters from Asia, I apologise for possibly offending you if I did so.
12-07-2007 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Sorry, I'm not going to move the times because it just means that a different set of people won't be able to make it.

-Erik

12-07-2007 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Alright, I've got Schep on session one and Techant on session two, so I'll be at both sessions as planned. Looking forward to it!

-Erik

12-07-2007 at 11:46 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1305
I can come to session one, probably.
12-07-2007 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
coppro wrote:
Just thinking though, seeing as we have very few Asian users (Japan comes in with #1 for Asia, with 14), and I can't name any, might it be worth moving one of the times such as to have one directed at European users and one directed at North American users?
In terms of timezone suitability, Asia includes Australia and New Zealand too. And there's a few of us around the place. :)

I'll be at session two.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 12-08-2007 12:17 AM]
12-08-2007 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
I can quite probably come to the first one, it's 7pm my time.

12-08-2007 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
The first session is 2 PM at my end, so I think I can probably be there.

12-08-2007 at 12:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Session 1 if I manage..
12-08-2007 at 12:52 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
There's a chance I might make one of the sessions, depending on whether I'm not still working during session 1 and/or I wake up in time for session 2. I'll see.

12-08-2007 at 01:05 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I'd like to come. :) I can definitely make Session 2, not sure if I can make it to a computer in time for Session 1.
12-08-2007 at 01:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I can definitely unless a family occasion crops up do session 2 (6 pm), maybe session 1 (6 am) if I happen to be up at that hour for whatever insane reason.

C h a l l e n g e !
 Start in Session 1 and last until the end of Session 2 without idling 

[Last edited by NiroZ at 12-09-2007 09:16 AM]
12-08-2007 at 02:04 AM
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
I'll try to show up to session 1.
12-08-2007 at 05:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221
I should be up and about for session 1 although it will be Sunday for me!

12-08-2007 at 07:23 AM
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
I'll be here, for the second one at least the first one.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 12-08-2007 06:55 PM]
12-08-2007 at 07:33 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Jatopian wrote:
I'm free, but I won't have Internet on my DROD PC, or DROD on the Internet PC. Which is usual. Too bad we don't have that external client.
Having heard this several times from you now I can't help asking:

Exactly what is keeping you from installing DROD in your "Internet PC" as well? It's not as if the game were very demanding in the CPU or GPU department(s)...

np: Cobblestone Jazz - Peace Offering (23 Seconds)

12-08-2007 at 10:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
It isn't hardware or software requirements. It's that the Internet PC belongs to the sort of person who fights tooth and nail against installing anything on the computer, because they're so 'illiterate' they're afraid anything they do will screw things up. Naturally they will assume the same of everyone else without degree in computer science. Thankfully anti-virus software came with the PC, but you wouldn't believe the fight we had over installing Firefox, let alone Pidgin.

However, now that Saturday is actually here, I might see a way to sneak on to the first session. We'll see.

12-08-2007 at 05:40 PM
ErikH2000
This reminds me...

Has anyone tried playing DROD from a USB drive? For Windows at least, I think we include all the DLLs in the program directory. So in theory you could play it without running an installer.

-Erik

12-08-2007 at 07:54 PM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: In-Game Chat on Saturday. (+1)  
I do that occasionally (Windows).

Usually the first time you try to run drod.exe after a reboot you get a warning that "DROD couldn't initialize the fonts library", and the program quits; just start it again and it works without complaint.
12-08-2007 at 07:58 PM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Well, that was an interesting chat session. I had to leave early, due to domestic requirements, but it was great to chat with everyone :) Enjoy the second session, everyone.

12-08-2007 at 08:06 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
We should do this again, and make it a regular thing. E.g. we could provisionally say every saturday at X time.

I missed this as I am back visiting my family.

12-08-2007 at 08:09 PM
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Great 2:00 AM. :angry Well w.e could someone at least fill me in with some details?
12-08-2007 at 10:31 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
ErikH2000 wrote:
This reminds me...

Has anyone tried playing DROD from a USB drive? For Windows at least, I think we include all the DLLs in the program directory. So in theory you could play it without running an installer.

-Erik
According to this thread its possible if you don't mind shortening the lifespan of your flash drive.
12-08-2007 at 11:54 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: In-Game Chat on Saturday. (+1)  
Znirk wrote:
Usually the first time you try to run drod.exe after a reboot you get a warning that "DROD couldn't initialize the fonts library", and the program quits; just start it again and it works without complaint.
Change your DataPath.txt to read
.\Data;.\Data;
and make sure you run DROD directly from the directory on your flash drive, or at least use a link that has the "Start in:" directory set correctly.

np: Dominik Eulberg - Der Traum Vom Fliegen (Bionik)

12-09-2007 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Jacob wrote:
We should do this again, and make it a regular thing. E.g. we could provisionally say every saturday at X time.

Good idea, but a number of us have been using chat fairly regularly (without it being a pre-arranged 'meeting') and it is usually interesting, informative and often very amusing. There have been evenings when I have laughed myself into tears and sore ribs reading/writing Chat.

I have commended Chat to the forum publicly before and I would be delighted if more people were to use it. Mind you having said that, I found the number and complexity of 'cross-over conversations' a bit daunting last night, ;) but maybe that's just the technophobe in me. Certainly this is something which the DoBI can look at, but if I may plead for understanding - the run up to Christmas is a difficult time of year for music teachers. I'm up to the eyes in carols, cards, presents, carols, cooking, carols, decorations, recipe books, and did I mention carols? I'm finding it difficult to spend much time in here at the moment. :(

Oh and 'Something' is about to happen and I've been spending time on that too. ;) :) ;)

12-09-2007 at 11:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : In-Game Chat on Saturday.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com