Announcement: Be excellent to each other.


Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Media of the Eighth (Our Contest for November)
Page 1 of 2
2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 594
Registered: 01-03-2005
IP: Logged
icon The Media of the Eighth (+1)  
The Media of the Eighth

Our official contest of November is a creativity contest. The aim of the contest is to design the front page of an imaginary newspaper (tabloid, magazine, etc.) of Beethro's world "The Eighth". The newspaper may be one from the aboveground kingdoms or one from the Empire or one from the Smitemaster's Guild, etc.

Rules:
Your work should contain a title (e.g. "Daily Delver"), one main story (40-250 words) and other newspaperish elements (adverts, jokes, sudoku...). Feel free to experiment!
If your work dosen't meet those criteria it won't appear in the poll.
Your work must not cause copyright issues and must not contain already publicated articles. It must not contain bad language or content.
Your work must be ".pdf" or ".rtf" or ".jpeg" or ".html"
Submit your work until Local Time:11-25-2007 at 02:00 PM which is in negative 525 weeks. Just post it into the submission topic and everything is fine.
In the poll, the voters will be asked how much they like your front page and how original it is.
You may only submit one entry, but you are allowed to edit/resubmit your entry until the deadline.

Prizes:
Winner : 100 rank points and an unconditioned choice from the Prize Pile.
Runner up : 50 rank points
Third one : 25 rank points
If this contest is your first contest, you'll get a rookie bonus of 10 rank points.

Edit: I am very sorry about the many spelling mistakes. I was in a hurry when I wrote the thing.

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 11-18-2007 09:02 AM]
11-05-2007 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts ICQ Status This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Avatar
Rank Points: 405
Registered: 07-18-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eight (0)  
I don't have understood. I need use frontpage for a site of drod (Beethro)?

Sorry for the question :blush

____________________________
Nothing to say. I just play the game. And you, sir, should play it too.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.

[Last edited by Neather2 at 11-05-2007 04:23 PM]
11-05-2007 at 04:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1076
Registered: 05-05-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eight (0)  
The Eighth! The Eighth! The Eighth!

____________________________
Play my holds?
11-05-2007 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dolan42
Level: Master Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 195
Registered: 04-14-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eight (0)  
quote:
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Prices:
[nitpick]Prizes:[/nitpick]

____________________________
-D
"To understand recursion you must first understand recursion."
11-05-2007 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3511
Registered: 10-01-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eight (0)  
quote:
Neather2 wrote:
I don't have understood. I need use frontpage for a site of drod (Beethro)?

Sorry for the question :blush


No. The idea is to create the front page of an Eighth-style newspaper or magazine.

Other than the spelling mistakes, this is a cool idea for a contest.

____________________________
New to DROD? You may want to read this.
My Holds and Levels:
Click here to view the secret text

11-05-2007 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1216
Registered: 05-12-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eight (0)  
quote:
MeckMeck GRE:
Our official contest of November

Is this actually the official November contest? Was expecting to see the Department of Challengs announce such a thing...
11-05-2007 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1076
Registered: 05-05-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
I also am confused. I can confirm that there have been no such announcements on the Challenges Mailing List.

____________________________
Play my holds?
11-05-2007 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1841
Registered: 07-31-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (-3)  
If I vote in this contest, I will surely give a 1 to any PDF, because I hate PDFs. Just throwing that out there, giving fair warning.

Also,
possible inspiration.

____________________________
DROD has some really great music.
Make your pressure plates 3.0 style!
DROD architecture idea generator

[Last edited by Jatopian at 11-07-2007 01:49 AM]
11-05-2007 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3133
Registered: 10-06-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
quote:
Jatopian wrote:
The former because I hate PDFs for common reasons which needn't be reiterated


Please don't assume everyone knows what your reasons are - some of us can't read your mind over the internet.

Could you iterate your "common reasons" of hating PDFs? I myself don't mind them if they present a mixture of text and images as opposed to pure text.

____________________________
Quick links to my stuff (in case you forgot where it was):
Click here to view the secret text

11-05-2007 at 11:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 933
Registered: 03-25-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
quote:
Jatopian wrote:
The former because I hate PDFs for common reasons which needn't be reiterated
Also, that's rather unfair to those whose only easy means of producing a newspaper like article is using a PDF.


____________________________
My Holds
Click here to view the secret text

11-06-2007 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1306
Registered: 11-24-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
And PostScript isn't an option.
11-06-2007 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1841
Registered: 07-31-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (+1)  
Mainly, it's an undifferentiated block of content, resistant to operations like copying; opening them takes some time on a slow machine and stops browser operations for that time; the mechanisms for viewing and browsing through them are unintuitive and inconsistent; and of course there's no reason to use them, as no task they accomplish isn't done better by another format.

And calamarain, I don't know what you're talking about. No one is confined to PDFs. There's plenty of open-source software for making RTFs, and HTML can be done with bloody Notepad.

____________________________
DROD has some really great music.
Make your pressure plates 3.0 style!
DROD architecture idea generator
11-06-2007 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Registered: 01-19-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
I also hate PDF files for the same reasons. Opening or closing one blocks my computer for about half a minute, and it "lags" a lot while scrolling.

And I think one doesn't need software to create an RTF file, or knowledge to create an HTML file... Simply creating something in Paint and saving it as jpeg(with compression of course) is enough.
11-06-2007 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 933
Registered: 03-25-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
quote:
Jatopian wrote:
And calamarain, I don't know what you're talking about. No one is confined to PDFs. There's plenty of open-source software for making RTFs, and HTML can be done with bloody Notepad.
I mean for those who don't have the computer skills to move to a different package. Also, some people have programs they like working in, and they output as PDF.

You're right, there are loads of other programs, but there are those who really won't want to use them.

(I'll be making mine in html, probably :P)

____________________________
My Holds
Click here to view the secret text

11-06-2007 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2436
Registered: 11-14-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (+3)  
quote:
Jatopian wrote:
If I vote in this contest, I will surely give a 1 to any PDF or any Su Doku puzzle. The former because I hate PDFs for common reasons which needn't be reiterated; the latter because Su Doku is a strictly Terran and modern form of entertainment.
You know, I have to say that I find this utterly distasteful. It almost tempts me to offer a "1" to any entry that either isn't in PDF or doesn't include a sudoku.

I mean: you're honestly talking about penalizing people for following the rules of the contest, because you happen not to like the rules? To my mind, if you don't like the rules of the contest, and you can't give a fair vote to any legitimate entry, don't vote in it.

(I also think that objecting to sudoku on the grounds that it's "strictly Terran and modern" is a bit silly. For one thing, how do you know that it's strictly Terran; have you done a complete and thorough survey of other planets and/or dimensions? For another, you could say the same thing about the game Mastermind, and there's an instance of that in TCB, which kind of suggests to me that any given low-tech game could easily appear in the Eighth as well as on Earth. And finally, sudoku are a natural outgrowth of Latin Squares, which have been around at least since Euler in the 1700s, and possibly longer, so it's not clear that they're necessarily modern.)
11-06-2007 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1841
Registered: 07-31-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
quote:
Tahnan wrote:
I mean: you're honestly talking about penalizing people for following the rules of the contest, because you happen not to like the rules? To my mind, if you don't like the rules of the contest, and you can't give a fair vote to any legitimate entry, don't vote in it.
Merely that it is allowed does not make it good. I did similarly in the Cheap Trick contest, penalizing everyone who used darkness or unpredictable scripting with a maximum vote of 2. By your logic, wouldn't it be despicable to mod down "1st p0st!!!1111", just because the rules allow it?

____________________________
DROD has some really great music.
Make your pressure plates 3.0 style!
DROD architecture idea generator
11-06-2007 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 843
Registered: 06-08-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
Now is the point how the whold thing looks or the content of the article? I am concerned we will have the same issues we had last month. :?

____________________________
DROD RPG Released!! You must try it out it is Great!!
Click here to view the secret text

11-06-2007 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1865
Registered: 09-10-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (+1)  
Apparently the point is what the filetype is?

I'm going to give a 3 to .rtf, 5 to .html, 6 to .pdf, 7 to .jpeg, 8 to .jpg.

Wow, easiest contest judging ever!
11-06-2007 at 05:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2388
Registered: 05-29-2003
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
I find your argument against PDFs strange, Jatopian, especially since one of the other allowed formats are also quite resistant to copying, being picture formats. PDFs are an open standard, and plenty of open-source software exists to edit them. I do believe Open Office can do PDFs.

So most of your objections seem mostly derived from you being old?

____________________________
What do you call an elephant at the North Pole?
Click here to view the secret text


[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 11-06-2007 05:14 AM : Whoops, just one, not two. Doesn't change the point.]
11-06-2007 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 843
Registered: 06-08-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
quote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
I find your argument against PDFs strange, Jatopian, especially since one of the other allowed formats are also quite resistant to copying, being picture formats. PDFs are an open standard, and plenty of open-source software exists to edit them. I do believe Open Office can do PDFs.

So most of your objections seem mostly derived from you being old?


Hey I am old and I like PDF format!

How would you read the article if it is a jpg or some other graphic format? You can look at PDF's off line so you don't need fast bandwidth to view them. Yes, bigger files can take time to load but how big could these entries be. HTML would be OK (I design webpages) but some find that harder to work with than their word-processors. I think PDF is becoming the next medium for documents, so we may all have to get use to it :lol.

I would hate to see this good contest disintegrate into a who can design in what format best contest. Maybe we should all use flash (tongue in cheek...hee hee).


____________________________
DROD RPG Released!! You must try it out it is Great!!
Click here to view the secret text


[Last edited by techant at 11-06-2007 05:46 AM]
11-06-2007 at 05:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1975
Registered: 08-07-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
I do want to know if MeckMeck (or the judges) is going to do word counts on the entries, because he will have a great time if he only gets JPG files. ;)

I'd also want to know if the judges are allowed to vote based on (for example) spelling mistakes, in that case they should be able to do a spell check on the texts. If the entry cannot be easily transferred to a spell checker, like some PDF or JPG files, should a judge mark these entries lower?

PS. Has anyone try the Foxit Reader to view PDF files? It's faster than Acrobat... (Windows only)

PPS. I'm not willing to install OpenOffice just to view PDF files. My hard drive is currently full now due to the many versions of DROD I'm using ;)

____________________________
The best way to lose customers is to let little kids running loose on a forum with too many mod points.

[Last edited by Tim at 11-06-2007 05:40 AM]
11-06-2007 at 05:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 843
Registered: 06-08-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
quote:
Tim wrote:
PS. Has anyone try the Foxit Reader to view PDF files? It's faster than Acrobat... (Windows only)


I have not tried it but after looking at it today and seeing I would have to complete one of the offers, no thanks. I'll stick with what I have PDF 995. It has a real free version and has worked well for me for a couple of years. The free version has annotation and it is easy to print to and fast. Don't tell but I block the ads with my firewall so I don't have to worry about those either.

By the way you should just use your browser to open the PDF file to view it no need to install Open Office even though it is a good program as well. :cool

____________________________
DROD RPG Released!! You must try it out it is Great!!
Click here to view the secret text


[Last edited by techant at 11-06-2007 08:48 AM]
11-06-2007 at 08:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1496
Registered: 09-16-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
You only need the offer for advanced features (saving files after you changed them). It's a free pdf reader, and it's really fast. You clicked the "get it (full version)" link instead of the "download (reader)" link. I liked it way more than the slow Acrobat Reader.

For the record I also dislike working with pdf files, precisely because it's such a pain to edit them. But not to the point of discriminating over other formats.

____________________________
Slay the living! Raise the dead!
Paint the sky in crimson red!
11-06-2007 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 3515
Registered: 08-07-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (+3)  
quote:
Tim wrote:
PPS. I'm not willing to install OpenOffice just to view PDF files.

Ummm... you're not meant to - you use OpenOffice to create PDF files, not to read them.

@Jatopian:

See, some nice things about PDF as a format are:

* It's thoroughly documented and widely supported.

* There's a boatload of (free) libraries to create them programmatically (which I've done on several occasions).

* It's vector based so there's no ugly jaggies on text because it was rendered at too few DPI as opposed to image formats, not to mention the smaller file size.

* It'll look the same no matter what's the output device (you just can't make HTML print like a book - there's no settings for print margins, or page numbering, or dozens of other things that produce a nice page layout), which also means that if you hand a PDF to a print shop the layout stays exactly the same as you last saw it.

* It's meant to be read, not edited - period. You use whatever tool and file format you want for editing and produce a PDF at the very end.

Just because you had a bad experience or three with, let me guess, Adobe's Acrobat Reader doesn't make PDF a worse format than others nor should the format be reason enough to adjust your score by even a single point... :rolleyes

____________________________
"I'm not anti-anything, I'm anti-everything, it fits better." - Sole
R.I.P. Robert Feldhoff (1962-2009) :(
11-06-2007 at 09:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 3515
Registered: 08-07-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
quote:
Maurog wrote:
For the record I also dislike working with pdf files, precisely because it's such a pain to edit them.

But that's exactly the point - editing them is using the wrong tool for the job. If you really need to edit a PDF, request the source document it was produced from - tools that let you edit PDFs are an ugly hack IMHO. You don't edit PostScript files either, do you?

____________________________
"I'm not anti-anything, I'm anti-everything, it fits better." - Sole
R.I.P. Robert Feldhoff (1962-2009) :(
11-06-2007 at 09:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 611
Registered: 07-28-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
quote:
Briareos wrote:
You don't edit PostScript files either, do you?
Ha! Back in my days we used to type PostScript files. In ed. Blindfold.
Before anyone asks: I've never hand-written any ps, or used ed.
11-06-2007 at 09:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2436
Registered: 11-14-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (+2)  
quote:
Jatopian wrote:
Merely that it is allowed does not make it good. I did similarly in the Cheap Trick contest, penalizing everyone who used darkness or unpredictable scripting with a maximum vote of 2. By your logic, wouldn't it be despicable to mod down "1st p0st!!!1111", just because the rules allow it?
But there's a difference between "the rules say nothing on this; judge it how you will" and "the rules explicitly permit this". If the rules say "create a cheap trick" and your judgment is that using darkness isn't interesting or fair, of course you should mark it down. But if the rules say "create a cheap trick using darkness or unpredictable scripting" and your judgment is that using darkness isn't interesting or fair, it's no longer really fair for you to mark it down. (Imagine someone saying, "I hate invisibility potions. I'm going to mark everything in this Invisibility Contest as a 1, because they all used invisibility.")

Similarly, the rules of the forum allow a wide variety of things to be posted; they allow "f1rst p0st!!1!" but they don't sanction it.
11-06-2007 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 933
Registered: 03-25-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
Is it just me, or is this thread getting... kinda vicious?

____________________________
My Holds
Click here to view the secret text

11-06-2007 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1975
Registered: 08-07-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (+1)  
quote:
calamarain wrote:
Is it just me, or is this thread getting... kinda vicious?

I think most forumites here just want more clarifications on the rules. Because they are not clear at all.
We want answers for at least the following questions:

1. How should an entry be judged, by the contents, or by the idea, or by the spelling, or all of them?

2. Will you disqualify entries by (for example) performing an word count check?

3. Is it possible not to vote on some of the entries? In that case, what score should we give to those?

If MeckMeck is unable to do that, can someone else from the Department answer these question for him? It no one is willing to answer these questions, then all judges should vote as they want to.

Please?

In the meantime, if anyone have more questions, please ask. Because fighting won't lead to any answers.

____________________________
The best way to lose customers is to let little kids running loose on a forum with too many mod points.

[Last edited by Tim at 11-06-2007 05:59 PM]
11-06-2007 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 843
Registered: 06-08-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
quote:
Tim wrote:
1. How should an entry be judged, by the contents, or by the idea, or by the spelling, or all of them?



You left out the media used to display it. "Your work must be ".pdf" or ".rtf" or ".jpeg" or ".html"'

I think MeckMeck GRE way trying to give us greater choice when it came to the media we used so that no one was disqualified because they lacked software or experience. The focus was to be on the page not the media needed to display it. But, like the real world the media used affects how much we like something so...,

A suggestion: Maybe the rule should be changed to an 'and/or' instead of just 'or'. That way if someone wanted to submit the same front page using various media they could.



____________________________
DROD RPG Released!! You must try it out it is Great!!
Click here to view the secret text


[Last edited by techant at 11-07-2007 12:40 AM : spelling]
11-07-2007 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Media of the Eighth (Our Contest for November)
Surf To:


Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com

Powered by: tForum tForumHacks Edition b0.98.8
Originally created by Toan Huynh (Copyright © 2000)
Enhanced by the tForumHacks team and the Caravel team.