Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : B.A.C.K.R.O.N.Y.M. (Our contest for June.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon Re: B.A.C.K.R.O.N.Y.M. (+1)  
Announcing the July Contest: DROD: The Musical!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail made the transition to the Broadway stage. So have other movies, books, and even the board game chess.

Well, now it's DROD's turn! Write at least one song from

oh god I can't continue. Sorry. I don't even like Rent, and suddenly everyone's singing it. And I'm just sitting here staring at the screen going, "how we gonna play / last year's DROD...."
06-21-2007 at 08:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: B.A.C.K.R.O.N.Y.M. (0)  
Tahnan wrote:
oh god I can't continue. Sorry. I don't even like Rent, and suddenly everyone's singing it. And I'm just sitting here staring at the screen going, "how we gonna play / last year's DROD...."
:huh?
06-21-2007 at 09:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NiroZ wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
:huh?
!!!

(Google-foo FTW!)

06-21-2007 at 11:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Tahnan wrote:
I don't even like Rent, and suddenly everyone's singing it.

I'm sorry, but man we had an awesome thing going there.

I'm honestly tempted to make a little DROD version of Rent, with the stencil logo and everything. Probably not the edgy-for-the-sake-of-edgy bits, though.

Edit: we're closed. I had to disqualify two entries, sadly: "DRoD" for not following the acronym and "Delvers and Roaches mean Opportunities for Danforth" because 'mean' is normally capitalised when used in titles. ('Mean' in this sense is a verb, not a conjection. Generally, if a word was used as a conjunction, I was willing to let it slide.)

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 06-21-2007 01:17 PM]
06-21-2007 at 12:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I read that as 7:01 PM :?

I had a good idea, too. Oh well. I'm sure there will be some great entries to vote on.

06-21-2007 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Mental note: Read rules.

06-21-2007 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Mattcrampy wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
I don't even like Rent, and suddenly everyone's singing it.

I'm sorry, but man we had an awesome thing going there.
Eh, it's not like you have to stop on my account. Still, especially with cutscenes, there's plenty of opportunity for DROD: the Musical! (I might end up writing Sondheim's "Into the Hold" myself.)

EDIT: OK, I've gone and voted on all of them. Fortunately, they go a little faster than the Al Dente holds. It was interesting to note that there were four categories:

(1) Those that describe the overall theme;
(2) Those that describe a particular thing Beethro does;
(3) Those that describe what the player does;
(4) Those I couldn't make sense of at all.

I'm expecting the voting on this one to be much more varied than usual, since people might prefer any one of the four.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 06-21-2007 03:55 PM]
06-21-2007 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jmpava
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Mattcrampy wrote:

Edit: ...and "Delvers and Roaches mean Opportunities for Danforth" because 'mean' is normally capitalised when used in titles. ('Mean' in this sense is a verb, not a conjection. Generally, if a word was used as a conjunction, I was willing to let it slide.)

Feh...

You know, I know it's kinda a throw-away contest AND I know that was a pretty stupid attempt ANYWAY, but I had 4 or 5 other ideas I would have happily replaced it with it someone had pointed that out to me at ANY time prior to it actually being closed. Given that I submitted it within an hour (or close to it) of the contest opening in the first place.

(grumble grumble, verb not conjunction, grumble, stupid grammar designations...)

(Oh well :->)

Edit: No, not expecting you to go through all of them and point out stuff to people who didn't read the rules. I just certainly didn't realize you were going to declare that this particular one didn't count. That's all :->

[Last edited by jmpava at 06-21-2007 06:13 PM]
06-21-2007 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
I could've sworn there was a whole topic full of these acronyms. And I could've sworn that something I posted on it was a helluva lot like one of these entries.

06-21-2007 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Mattcrampy wrote:
Edit: we're closed. I had to disqualify two entries, sadly: "DRoD" for not following the acronym and "Delvers and Roaches mean Opportunities for Danforth" because 'mean' is normally capitalised when used in titles. ('Mean' in this sense is a verb, not a conjection. Generally, if a word was used as a conjunction, I was willing to let it slide.)

...What? You can capitalize Of sometimes in book titles. It's optional!

Edit: Also consider: Banj can't read? I swear it wasn't in there when I looked earlier.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 06-21-2007 11:33 PM]
06-21-2007 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Say, where is my entry? I can't see it anywhere!

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

06-22-2007 at 01:14 AM
Mattcrampy
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Say, where is my entry? I can't see it anywhere!

Jeff: it's in Fuchsia.

06-22-2007 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Banjooie wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:

...What? You can capitalize Of sometimes in book titles. It's optional!

Huh? Your comment doesn't seem to jive with either sentence. I don't know what you're trying to say here.

You know, I know it's kinda a throw-away contest

You impinge on my honor, good sir! It's a quick contest, to enter and judge. People have already done this for fun before, so I know that the interest is there, and contests have a way of bringing people out of the woodwork, so there's value in running something that's been touched upon by the forum before.

Anyway, anyone who submitted an entry, even if it was disqualified, will get participation credit. You turned up and had a go, and that's fair enough.

06-22-2007 at 04:58 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I Decided to Remove my Others and Display them here where all could enjoy them. These were my second, third and fourth choices to enter:

DROD Rules Of Disembowelment
Dungeon Restoration Often Dangerous
Delicious Roaches Oven Roasted

I was so glad to see so many entries!!
:fun

06-22-2007 at 07:52 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Matt: I suffer from illiteracy apparently, couldn't find my entry (then again I was using your links and I was told they were vaguely mislabelled), searching for a keyword I couldn't find in any of the four pages I checked, then saw you disqualified a DRoD, which I assumed was mine.
06-23-2007 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Banjooie wrote:
Matt: I suffer from illiteracy apparently, couldn't find my entry (then again I was using your links and I was told they were vaguely mislabelled), searching for a keyword I couldn't find in any of the four pages I checked, then saw you disqualified a DRoD, which I assumed was mine.

For an illiterate person you're doing an excellent job of holding a written conversation! (But yeah, your entry's in Azure.)

06-23-2007 at 06:35 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Mattcrampy wrote:
In addition: 25 rank points will go to the first entrant whose acronym averages above '7'. This will be determined by timestamps from the submission thread, and editing your entry will count as being submitted at the time of edit.

Will this be based on the score from the first poll, or the second?

06-24-2007 at 07:59 PM
Mattcrampy
RoboBob3000 wrote:

Will this be based on the score from the first poll, or the second?

Either/or. The idea is that it's a speed bonus, but compensating for someone putting in a mediocre entry just to get the speed bonus. It also, hopefully, spreads the prizes around a bit.

06-25-2007 at 06:12 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Since I'm pretty sure mine's doomed to failure, I'll give three ranks points to the first person to think of something located internally in the body that's more recognizable than "Duodenums".

06-25-2007 at 06:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Since I'm pretty sure mine's doomed to failure, I'll give three ranks points to the first person to think of something located internally in the body that's more recognizable than "Duodenums".

The dermis!

Edit: Whoops. Internally. Scratch that.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 06-25-2007 06:57 AM]
06-25-2007 at 06:56 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Diaphragm.

Duodenum is way funnier though.
06-25-2007 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
RoboBob3000 wrote:
The dermis!

Edit: Whoops. Internally. Scratch that.
Actually, since it is beneath the epidermis, I'd call that internal.

06-25-2007 at 02:58 PM
Mattcrampy
I'm going to make sure there isn't any voting irregularities, but I'm pretty sure we have a winner for the speed prize.

06-27-2007 at 05:57 AM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
When does the next contest begin :) ?
07-01-2007 at 04:24 PM
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
About the internal body puzzle, I'll say the heart. Also, quick question. Is the game now called "Down, Right, Opps; Dead"? Because I personally perfer "Deadly Rooms of Death".

08-15-2007 at 08:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Bingbing wrote:
About the internal body puzzle, I'll say the heart. Also, quick question. Is the game now called "Down, Right, Opps; Dead"? Because I personally perfer "Deadly Rooms of Death".
Errr... I really don't think this was about replacing the original meaning of DROD, just about finding alternate meanings.

Also, I wonder if anybody has gotten their prizes yet for this contest? :look

np: Yagya - Change (Will I Dream During The Process?)

08-15-2007 at 11:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Perhaps I'm just too stupid to find it, but is there a list of participants of this contest available anywhere?

09-27-2007 at 12:49 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : B.A.C.K.R.O.N.Y.M. (Our contest for June.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com