Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : March 2006 - A Very Ad-Surd Contest. (The Contest O' The Month.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon March 2006 - A Very Ad-Surd Contest. (+3)  
Advertisements. They are all around us, and because of the fact that more than 260 billion dollars is spent on the things in the US alone, it's no surprise that the average North American sees more than 200 of these a day. When you turn on the TV, when you're surfing on the internet, when you open your email (Much to your dismay, though), when you read a newspaper or a magazine and, if Futurama's predictions hold accurate, in our dreams one fine day. Yes, it can be argued that no matter where we go, advertisements, or ads, will be around us for as long as we live. Why, some have even said that our society and buisness thrives upon advertisements.

But not all ads are unenjoyable. Some ads actually will point out useful features or show you clips from a movie that seems interesting and exciting and perk your interest in them. Some ads are comedic, and will stick in the back of your mind and make you laugh everytime you think of the punchline. Some are even so powerful that they can inspire you to drop the remote on the floor and buy the product right frickin' now!!

"But Patrick!?" I can hear you questioning, "What in the name of everything holy and logical does this have to do with the contest? And don't try to make any excuses, because I know this is for the monthly contest! No more lies! I demand answers!"

Some may be politer than that, but the point stands. Just bear with me for a few more minutes, okay?

Right now, you could technically say that there are over 140 different 'products', or holds, that you could sell to other people. Of course, this is ignoring the actual engines, but I'll get to that later. Of course, no one would ever advertise user-made holds that are free, would they? After all, if you aren't going to get any money from the advertisement of it, why on earth would you bother with it?

But, what if they weren't free and were sold out in the real world, just like SS holds? Well, then you'd want to find ways to get attention drawn to your product and make sure that you could get the greatest share of the market. What does an increased market share give you? More money, of course. What is one of the easiest and most interesting ways to do that?

Advertisements!

In this month's contest, you are going to creatively come up with a way to advertise a hold that has been published on the forum. This could be in a number of ways, but is not limited to these options: Poster, graphic, flash animation, movie, audio clip, script, story, endorsement, or interview. In other words, as long as your medium can be uploaded onto the forum for others to see, dollars to donuts it'll work.

Now then, let's dive into the rules of this game, shall we?

1. Your number one goal in the ad is to create both awareness and interest in your product. In your advertisement, you should include the hold authours name or screen name, where you can get the hold from (You don't need to use specific links. drod.caravelgames.com or caravelgames.com is fine), and what makes this hold better than any of the other 130+ out there.

2. While doing so, you also want to make it appealing for the people who are watching the ad. After all, when an ad sticks in a person's mind, they are more tempted to actually buy the product. Memory and catchiness of the ad will be a factor in the judging!

3. Any endorsements can not use any real celebrities name. While it's okay to have the famous movie star Jacques Strape from the great movie For the Love of Clam Chowder advertise your product, writing that Tom Cruise plays DROD won't be accepted. Even if he did.

4. All holds are acceptable to advertise, with the exception of King Dugan's Dungeon, King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0, Journey to Rooted Hold, Perfection, The Choice, or any hold that hasn't been released on the Holds board yet. If any hold authour has a problem with their hold being advertised, please let me know and we can get it sorted out.

5. For ads that will record something, such as an audio clip or a movie, keep the time reasonable. Try not to make an infomercial or hit series based on the product - just keep it short and simple so that it will describe the product and tell people why they should buy it. If you have a script that goes along with the clip, please send it as well. I won't make it public, but it'll be nice for me to check information on.

6. If you plan on making anything written, try to keep it down as well. Stories, interviews, and *can* be a bit longer than a minute when spoken, but keep it reasonable. For scripts, remember that a page of script approximately equals a minute of actual time, so use that to your advantage.

7. The only catch that I will make in regards to what you can do for this contest is keep the advertisement outside of the game. While I'm sure you can make something cool via a scripted hold, I'd prefer people to not have to load DROD in order to see it. That being said, screenshots from ingame are allowed, but keep them at a reasonably smaller size.

8. If you so incline, feel free to team up with one other person on this. No groups of three or more, please.

9. The deadline for this contest will be a fairly late Local Time:03-21-2006 at 06:00 PM. No later! That's a bit more than three weeks, so you should have more than enough time. I actually extended this time a few more days that I normally would simply because I realise that some of these might take time to complete properly.

10. When the time comes that your entry is ready, you can easily post it in a submission topic found here.. This means that you can directly attach the file, and not have to worry about spam filters getting to it. Yay! If you have problems uploading a file to the forum, please email the file to me at CrazyCanuck00[AT]gmail.com, but only as a last resort.

Now, let's tell them what they're playing for, Johnny!

The first place contestant will receive an item from the Prize Pile and a collection of 100 reusuable rank points. Runner up will receive 50 rank points along with a free picture of the Encyclopedia Britannica. Third place gets 25 rank points, and an imaginary degree for Clown College. All runners up will receive a free copy of our home game, while newcomers will get 10 rank points just for showing up.

The last thing that I'm going to say is that between March 10-13, I'll be away in Winnipeg on a music trip, so if you have any questions at all, it would be wisest to ask them before that time. Other than that, just remember to have fun and be creative!

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 03-01-2006 05:10 AM]
03-01-2006 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Leus
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 204
icon Re: March 2006 - A Very Ad-Surd Contest. (+1)  
I'll probably advertise my own hold if I do one. That's okay, right?

I read all the rules, but I'm known to somehow always miss something.

03-01-2006 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: March 2006 - A Very Ad-Surd Contest. (0)  
so you may advertise by : picture, text, sound and video, provided that the file will upload (how big is the upload limit?) correct?
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-30-2007 04:25 AM]
03-01-2006 at 10:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
oh, um, do you have to 'shoddy' a hold, or can multiple ppl advertise the same hold seperatly? ie, if i was to advertise Perfection(using this as an example because it cannot be used), can 20 other people also advertise it? or do i have to annouce that i am advertising that hold in advance, thus becoming the only able to advertise it?
:blowup

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-30-2007 04:26 AM]
03-01-2006 at 10:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mikko
Rank Points: 276
How will the results be determined?

Should the ads be targeted at DROD players or normal people?
03-01-2006 at 11:39 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Can we use endorsements written by forum members. I mean real comments that people have made.

03-01-2006 at 11:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Is there a limit of number of entries per contestant? If we're allowed more than one entry, can we team up with different people to create them (i.e., two seperate pairs, not a threesome).

03-01-2006 at 12:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Rank Points: 174
I hope it's okay if many people advertise the same hold.
03-01-2006 at 03:43 PM
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
If anything, I’d pick a hold that exists in a definite location in the Eighth. Then it would become a little more like the Tourist contest, but hopefully not too much (because you’re convincing smitemasters, not citizens, to go to a place).

I plan on keeping the advertisements within the world of the Eighth if Patrick approves. For example, I wouldn’t say “You don’t have to Ctrl-Q or Ctrl-W excessively in this hold!” For one thing, Q isn't even a letter in Sihmpuhl English. I encourage others to do the same, but whatever. Advertising with a Beethro Budkin quote would be too passé, or course.

Maybe I’ll advertise Bad Evil Restaurant. “Nice décor. Swedish man in a 'neather costume provides entertainment. Don’t forget to drop the kids off in the roach room with hundreds of eager playmates!”

[Last edited by Swivel at 03-01-2006 05:29 PM : No! Not W!]
03-01-2006 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Here comes the 15 minute long reply.
I'll probably advertise my own hold if I do one. That's okay, right?
Perfectly fine. That's actually the best case scenario.
so you may advertise by : picture, text, sound and video, provided that the file will upload (how big is the upload limit?) correct?
Yes. Worst case, if you have an extra-large video file that doesn't want to upload, send it to me via email.
oh, um, do you have to 'shoddy' a hold, or can multiple ppl advertise the same hold seperatly? ie, if i was to advertise Perfection(using this as an example because it cannot be used), can 20 other people also advertise it? or do i have to annouce that i am advertising that hold in advance, thus becoming the only able to advertise it?
A hold can be the focus of more than one advertisement. There is no need to call dibs on a hold, as there is no list tracking them.
How will the results be determined?
Well, if you want the judging to be olympic style, then it would be about this:

-33.3333333333333% Catchiness and Memory of the ad.
-33.3333333333333% Creativity
-33.3333333333333% Technical (All the required facts are there)
Should the ads be targeted at DROD players or normal people?
You should try to appeal to both. Remember, if these things were being sold in real life, you'd want both veteran players to play your hold and you'd want to entice new players to play the game.
Can we use endorsements written by forum members. I mean real comments that people have made.
I'd prefer you not, simply because I want all endorsements to be level. If you want to take an actual comment that someone has said on the forum and give them a different name, I'd be okay with that. Just no real names, please.
Is there a limit of number of entries per contestant? If we're allowed more than one entry, can we team up with different people to create them (i.e., two seperate pairs, not a threesome).
No limits this time around, and yes, multiple partners are okay, if you feel so inclined to.
I plan on keeping the advertisements within the world of the Eighth if Patrick approves. For example, I wouldn’t say “You don’t have to Ctrl-Q or Ctrl-W excessively in this hold!” For one thing, Q isn't even a letter in Sihmpuhl English. I encourage others to do the same, but whatever. Advertising with a Beethro Budkin quote would be too passé, or course.
For the sake of the contest, I'm looking for advertisements that you would see in the real world. In order words, I should be able to place your ad on TV or in a magazine and actually use it if I wanted to. Not that I will, but that's the premise for the contest. If you so desire to make an ad like that (Unofficially), then I'll give you a side bonus of 15 rank points. It just won't go into the poll, that's all.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 03-01-2006 09:14 PM]
03-01-2006 at 06:03 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
-25% Catchiness and Memory of the ad.
-50% Creativity
-25% Technical (All the required facts are there)

So, if we /don't/ do any of that, we get 0%, and if we do, we get..

-100%? What?
03-01-2006 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Well, this is how the voter should make their vote for. I'm debating on how to do the poll yet, as I think that a poll that asks "Which Advertisement Did You Like Most?", along with questions for second and third might work better than a rating poll for this contest.

My whole thing with the percent was that, ideally, creativity is the main part, with technical and catchiness/memory of the ad being secondary, but still important. Technical should actually be a bit higher, though. You really, really, really need to have all the details and facts in the ad. So, I'm revising it to:

1/3 Technical, 1/3 Catchiness/Memory, 1/3 Creativity.

All of the parts are equal. Get them all in your ad!

03-01-2006 at 09:12 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
This one looks fun.
Me = In
Yay! My first contest!

03-01-2006 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I know I'm going to lose this contest, because I'm absolutely horrible at persuasive advertising, but I'll participate anyway for the sake of participating (and counting towards 8 contests too).

One question: would it be alright if my entry was a .html file? I think that'd be the easiest way for me to provide my information to the fullest extent of my abilities.

03-01-2006 at 11:11 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Does the hold in question have to be released on the Holds board?
03-01-2006 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Chaco wrote:
I know I'm going to lose this contest, because I'm absolutely horrible at persuasive advertising, but I'll participate anyway for the sake of participating (and counting towards 8 contests too).
Bah! Pessimism never gets you anywhere! Think positive! You, Chaco, are going to win this contest! Give it your all!
One question: would it be alright if my entry was a .html file? I think that'd be the easiest way for me to provide my information to the fullest extent of my abilities.
If it can be uploaded and viewed by the forum, then it will work. HTML files are perfectly fine with me.

03-01-2006 at 11:42 PM
Chaco
Ah, good! Also, I've made progress already: I've chosen the hold I'll showcase. Ideas are already swirling around in my mind and crashing into each other at blazing, fiery speed!

03-02-2006 at 12:47 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I'll enter! I'll make Bad Evil Resturant look like paradise on Eighth!

Or maybe not. Which hold to advertise? :?
03-02-2006 at 02:11 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
If I had any time at all I would be very tempted to make the original treasure map from Treasure Hunt. But this will be the worst month in terms of free time for me in years. (Good for other things, but not for free time!) So if anyone was thinking about this and didn't want to copy me, feel free to follow your dreams! ;) (But don't feel free to tell me that I'm delusional.)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-02-2006 at 02:40 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I know that, in general, using JtRH graphics is verboten (and that in the Hermetic Puzzles contest, we were encouraged to use AE screenshots for DROD-based puzzles). But it'll be, well, not impossible, but much much harder to advertise holds if we can't show them. So: are we allowed to use JtRH graphics in this? And if not, are there suggestions for ways around it?
03-02-2006 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486
icon Re: March 2006 - A Very Ad-Surd Contest. (+2)  
Nice contest idea. I'll be sure to enter this one.

For those of you looking for images to place in your ads, remember that there are plenty of my DROD themed images in the A Roach in Oil and Beethro's Head threads, all placed in the public domain. I'm sure someone can put my artwork to good use. Those of you feeling a little more adventurous could have a look at the 3D model itself and try changing camera angles, lighting conditions, or the actual model to better fit your ad.

-vylycyn

03-02-2006 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I'll probably make a couple audio submissions for this, as that's all I have anything remotely resembling time for right now. Are we allowed to use media that other people have created if we give proper credit? i.e. if I make a flash that uses a copyrighted image, but in the post in which I link the swf file I clearly indicate who the copyright belongs to, is that okay? And is it okay to say that *celebrity x* doesn't endorse the hold? I mean, technically it's true...

03-02-2006 at 08:56 AM
gamer_extreme_101
So: are we allowed to use JtRH graphics in this? And if not, are there suggestions for ways around it?
Alright, my original thing was wrong. See Erik's Post Below!
I'll probably make a couple audio submissions for this, as that's all I have anything remotely resembling time for right now. Are we allowed to use media that other people have created if we give proper credit? i.e. if I make a flash that uses a copyrighted image, but in the post in which I link the swf file I clearly indicate who the copyright belongs to, is that okay?
Again, I was wrong. So, the answer is yes, but you must have permission from the authour to use the file. Must!
And is it okay to say that *celebrity x* doesn't endorse the hold? I mean, technically it's true...
Sure, but you *can't* use real celebrity names. That being said, I have no idea as to why you would want to. ;)

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 03-02-2006 07:05 PM]
03-02-2006 at 03:56 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
I'll probably make a couple audio submissions for this, as that's all I have anything remotely resembling time for right now. Are we allowed to use media that other people have created if we give proper credit? i.e. if I make a flash that uses a copyrighted image, but in the post in which I link the swf file I clearly indicate who the copyright belongs to, is that okay?
Mmmmmmm......sure, but please try to gain permission for it first.
Sorry, but I need to step in and clarify.

You must have permission to use another person's work, and I'm inflexible about that. The permission can be from a general license (i.e. the creator has released the work you'd like to use as public domain) or it can be permission that you ask for and is specifically granted to you.

Using DROD 2.0 (DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold or DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon) graphics, I have to contradict what gamer_extreme_101 said...

For now, I am not giving permission to post screenshots or other graphics taken directly from DROD 2.0. You can use the images generated from "Insert DROD Room Image" provided you have permission from the hold author.

-Erik

03-02-2006 at 04:50 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
ErikH2000 wrote:
For now, I am not giving permission to post screenshots or other graphics taken directly from DROD 2.0. You can use the images generated from "Insert DROD Room Image" provided you have permission from the hold author.

Ah! Even being able to do that much will help immensely. As soon as I find free time.
03-02-2006 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Oh, good, since that's exactly what I did. Even better, they're all Foundation-style anyway.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-02-2006 09:02 PM]
03-02-2006 at 09:01 PM
gamer_extreme_101
I want to make a quick reminder to everyone that in about 48 hours, I'll be gone until Local Time:03-13-2006 at 06:00 PM. I only have one entry at the moment, so I'm hoping that everyone has something interesting in the works.

I also want to point out that it doesn't have to be the grandest thing on earth. If it's catchy and looks/sounds nice, it should do fairly well in the voting.

03-07-2006 at 11:46 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
Can AE graphics be used?

03-08-2006 at 12:21 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Mmmmmm....I'm pretty sure, seeing as they are public domain, but I'll wait for Erik's official word on that on.

03-08-2006 at 12:29 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Pinnacle wrote:
Can AE graphics be used?
Yep, AE graphics are in the public domain and available for any kind of use. You can make a game about assassinating Erik Hermansen with them, and I couldn't even stop you.

-Erik

03-08-2006 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : March 2006 - A Very Ad-Surd Contest. (The Contest O' The Month.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com