Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Alphabet Stream and other streams (a thing I'm gonna try and do)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 405
IP: Logged
icon Alphabet Stream and other streams (+3)  
Next Alphabet Stream: Local Time:06-24-2017 at 08:00 PM

Next Other Stream: TBA

Previous Alphabet Streams:
Click here to view the secret text

Previous Other Streams:

Other Stream pick the game poll!

Original form of post:

It seems like ever since getting the good ending of TSS, and really for a while before that, I've had an awful habit of doing a lot more building levels and barely any actually playing DROD--especially if replaying my own stuff doesn't count as the latter. I aim to rectify that for a few reasons, including that I'd like to have a better feel for what actually is fun in a room and maybe pick up some more ideas for my own stuff for architecture purposes; to have a meaningful amount of experience to draw on when I'm helping vote for contests; to just get better at the game in general; to have fun...

So anyway, I've decided on a somewhat hazardous plan: I'm going to try the holds available on Caravelnet in alphabetical order, and I'm gonna try and stream it on twitch for anyone who wants to watch. Alphabetical order is an easy, arbitrary way to order things and I'm streaming it partially to hold myself to it and partially because I sort of want to learn to talk with my voice to the internet through videos for various reasons. I've got a few rules I'm going to follow: Basically I don't have to get all the way through any hold, I just play until I want to stop. And of course I don't intend to replay the official holds I've already played, nor any of my own published holds if I ever reach one of those. I also don't guarantee I won't play things at times other than this streaming thing, but I think those'll be holds I pick out to play rather than this "running down the list in order" business.

Time is a pretty precious premium for me at the moment so I'm gonna say "about/at least an hour, on each Saturday". Tomorrow I'm going to aim for Local Time:01-21-2017 at 09:00 PM at this humble channel bearing my username. I'm pretty sure I've got OBS set up where it'll stream the thing for me, so that should be just fine.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-23-2017 08:34 PM]
01-21-2017 at 04:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Alphabet Stream (0)  
And we're already off to a slightly rough start. I'm pushing it forward an hour today because I woke up really late and I want to be sure I have time to eat a late lunch before starting the thing.

01-21-2017 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 998
Neat! I'm super bummed that I missed this, but will try to watch next week. Are you planning to record these for folks to be able to watch later or just stream?

01-22-2017 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
I'm recording them; OBS makes it fairly easy to do so. I uploaded today's stream to twitch hours ago but it's still "processing". I guess that's normal for a ~2 hours video? If I can't get the recordings to go up on twitch I'll see if I can get them on youtube or something.

EDIT: It finished processing, and it's listed here.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 01-22-2017 02:46 AM]
01-22-2017 at 02:12 AM
Xindaris
Announcing here so everyone knows my intention to do this again tomorrow at Local Time:01-28-2017 at 08:00 PM. I didn't have completely terrible sleep the last couple of nights so hopefully no delays like last time.

01-27-2017 at 05:46 PM
Xindaris
Today's stream is the same time as last week's. I've also added an "archive" of holds played and links to the uploaded previous streams to the first post (which will also generally try to indicate when the next stream is intended to be).

02-04-2017 at 07:12 PM
Xindaris
Tomorrow's stream is scheduled for the same time but may start slightly late because of setting up the voting thread for the custom element contest. We'll see.

02-11-2017 at 04:07 AM
GerAvos
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
Aaaay! :D Hope you will ever get to my hold. I'd love to see that, even if i'm only watching a recording. Man I'm so selfish. Hope you'll continue to have fun.

[Last edited by GerAvos at 02-13-2017 08:08 PM]
02-13-2017 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
I actually played through Avos' dungeon when it was new or possibly even when it was still in architecture, I'm not sure. I can go on and run through it on stream if you like, but it wouldn't be any more blind than my poor memory is able to make it. I can talk about some stuff about it anyway.

02-13-2017 at 09:13 PM
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 998
As a potential alternative you could always try this out:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=41386

Or possibly this:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=41335

both are still in architecture, but that may just provide GerAvos with the motivation to continue working on them :)

Downside is that they don't fit in alphabetically though I guess.

02-13-2017 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
GerAvos
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
Oh in that case, don't feel obligated to play it again if you don't like to. I'll be fine.

(My other projects probably will take a long time before they are finished)
02-14-2017 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Needed to sort things out to be sure since I'm in a different location this weekend, but I do intend on streaming at the usual time tomorrow...barring any unforeseen issues with the streaming computer after travel.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-11-2017 02:44 AM]
03-11-2017 at 02:43 AM
Xindaris
icon Re: Alphabet Stream and other streams (0)  
So, a week or two ago I brought up the idea of maybe showing off some other games I like for a bit in a stream other than the alphabet stream, and there was a not entirely negative response to the concept. I'm going to make an official plan of it and see what happens. I still intend to carry on the Alphabet Stream as normal at the normal time, so if you're only interested in that there is nothing to worry about. If, however, you are interested in seeing me play a mysterious other game, I intend to give it a shot this Friday at Local Time:03-25-2017 at 12:00 AM.

To reflect this decision I've changed the thread title slightly and will be formatting the OP to include when the next of things are planned to occur and an archive of both "kinds" of stream.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-22-2017 03:47 PM]
03-22-2017 at 03:47 PM
Xindaris
Ok, I am intending on doing another Other Stream this Friday, earlier in the day since it seemed like a lot of people had timezones that placed the previous one around midnight for them. It's going to probably start at Local Time:03-31-2017 at 08:30 PM plus or minus a half hour, depending on when a certain meeting I have that day concludes and other type things.

Also populating the first post is a link to a straw poll where you can decide whether I play one of the previous Other Stream games or do a new one the next time I do an Other Stream. At the moment everyone who's voted wants something new, so that's what I'm planning on.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-29-2017 08:02 PM]
03-29-2017 at 08:00 PM
Xindaris
Announcement: I forgot to update the post with the information that Alphabet Stream 11 will happen this Saturday up until now, as well as the archival information for AS 10.

Also, the "Other Stream Pick the Game Poll" in the top post has only gotten one response so far. If you're at all interested in helping make that decision and you're not said one response, please get your votes in. I don't think I'm doing it this week but maybe next week.

04-07-2017 at 02:18 AM
Xindaris
Alphabet Stream 11 information added; next Other Stream scheduled for this Friday. Looks like it'll be another surprise based on the existing votes.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-13-2017 03:25 AM]
04-13-2017 at 03:25 AM
Xindaris
Quick notice that a free lunch is happening at the time I would normally start Alphabet Stream, so I'm pushing it forward (I mean, postponing, thanks hyperme) 1 hour to take advantage of said free lunch.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-22-2017 06:03 PM]
04-22-2017 at 02:59 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Alphabet Stream and other streams (a thing I'm gonna try and do)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com