Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Adventure of Nevada Smith (An easy hold with audio and small story.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.9/10 (18 votes)
σ 0.87
Author Name:Logan
Submitted By:west.logan
Hold Name:The Adventure of Nevada Smith
Theme:An easy hold with audio and small story.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:20
Number of Monsters:133
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+4 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Adventure of Nevada Smith.hold (3.6 MB)
Downloaded 785 times.
License: Other
icon The Adventure of Nevada Smith  
This is my first attempt at making a hold. I figured I should start out short and sweet and possibly add future rooms along the same theme later. My wife graciously did some of the voice acting for me and Jacob and Garlonuss participated in the testing and feedback.

It is meant to be more of a riddle-solver using clues than a straight DROD puzzler. We'll see how well that combination worked. I hope it is enjoyed.
03-20-2012 at 01:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: The Adventure of Nevada Smith (+1)  
I had no idea this Hold existed until I saw your post in the new Deadlies thread and I had to dig into the 3rd page of Holds to find it. I can only imagine I missed it because I was in the throes of the end of term/deciding to retire when it was promoted to the board. Not sure why no one has said anything so far, but I have downloaded and will play it (probably very slowly).

(Edited for spehlung)

[Last edited by Elfstone at 03-19-2013 12:51 PM]
03-19-2013 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: The Adventure of Nevada Smith (0)  
That's very kind of you. It is meant to be more of a riddle-solver-type hold and is very short but a good amount of effort was put into the environment and characters. I hope you enjoy it.

03-19-2013 at 12:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
So after tinkering with this for a moment, I want to LP this. It's really nifty and different from the usual DROD hold, and I like doing stuff that shows off the engine.

Permission?

Should I wait until after the Deadlies?

Click here to view the secret text

03-19-2013 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Please feel free to, I'd be honored. I'd be surprised if it took you more than 30 minutes though :)

Edit: But note that it's not really supposed to be a brute-force hold but more of a Zelda-esque experience, with exploration and solving puzzles. There are clues given to each of the puzzles are intended to be found first.

[Last edited by west.logan at 03-19-2013 03:38 PM]
03-19-2013 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
... and completed. I enjoyed this short Hold very much. If I was to be nit-picky, I would ask for a few more save squares here and there, but that is a minor grumble. The voice acting was excellent!

Two questions remain in my 'tie-up-the-loose-ends' mind: why is there a reference to Redrum? and, having spent quite a while trying to find the room 'the room to the east', it seems it doesn't exist. All the other clues were significant so I'm puzzled by that one ...

I hope that you continue to make holds west.logan.

03-20-2013 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
"redrum" is "murder" spelled backwards, it appears in the horror film "The Shining" which I've never seen admittedly.

The room to the east is the room to the east of the main room.

Thank you very much for your kind words, I really appreciate it and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

03-20-2013 at 10:39 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: The Adventure of Nevada Smith (+2)  
I have thoroughly enjoyed this tiny little hold. The voice acting was top notch and I have thoroughly enjoyed the idea behind East room, I'd like to see it used in more holds.

It was short enough to not get boring by the low difficulty, which was perfect for the final boss fight which was noticeably harder than the rest of the hold.

8 for fun, 3 for difficulty.

Why do we not have more small and cute holds like that?

07-16-2014 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Thanks skell :)

07-16-2014 at 05:43 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Adventure of Nevada Smith (An easy hold with audio and small story.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com