Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : 46-th Slayer adventure (Nice puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.2/10 (19 votes)
σ 2.44
Author Name:Slava
Submitted By:mxvladi
Hold Name:46-th Slayer adventure
Theme:Nice puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:14
Number of Monsters:149
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: 46-th Slayer adventure.hold (12.2 KB)
Downloaded 1004 times.
License: Other
icon 46-th Slayer adventure  
Seven required puzzles and one secret. Enjoy!
04-27-2008 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: 46-th Slayer adventure (0)  
My feeling about this hold and its architectural process may be summed up with the following ASCII art.
Click here to view the secret text

04-27-2008 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Amazing ASCII, if nothing else. Did you draw it yourself?
04-27-2008 at 05:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Someone Else wrote:
Amazing ASCII, if nothing else. Did you draw it yourself?
The 'artist' is (someone else's) pic->ASCII algorithm, the 'medium' an image of Star Trek's Captain Picard. I'm not even the first to do that, so I really can claim no credit at all.

04-27-2008 at 06:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: 46-th Slayer adventure (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
My feeling about this hold and its architectural process may be summed up with the following ASCII art.

Uh, you're being kind of an ass, is there a reason why? If you're going to be critical, it'd help if you were constructive.

This hold has some nice little puzzles in it (mostly involving blocking aumtlich beams) and I found it a fun diversion. My favourite room was 1N1W. The English is a little poor but that doesn't really bother me.
04-27-2008 at 08:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I've enjoyed the puzzles here (and in mxvladi's "Master of hook"), though I deplore the grammatical errors. So I also thought Jatopian was being harsh, until I read the Architecture thread, where it's clear that the hold was up for five days, and he submitted it before really even getting the chance to incorporate the one set of comments he got.

I've no real problem with the hold; but I sympathize with Jatopian's feelings about the process. (And while his comment/art wasn't entirely constructive, it's also not entirely clear that mxvladi takes constructive comments to heart.)
04-27-2008 at 09:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: 46-th Slayer adventure (+2)  
I would apreiate it if people used ratings to judge a hold, not the Architectural process. That is unfair both to the comunity (where a goodish hold is rated very lowly) and to mxvladi.
04-28-2008 at 08:17 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I agree with Blondbeard here. I was not pleased with how the architect handled testing on this hold, but I do generally like the rooms and hold. The ratings are for how fun and difficult the hold are.
04-28-2008 at 01:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
As the guy who most vocally criticized the architect's...impetuousness on the Architecture board, I just have to say: This is actually a pretty good hold. I give it a seven for fun and seven brains of difficulty.

I will continue to encourage this architect (and all others) to allow a moderate amount of time prior to promotion, but this one turned out pretty well.

Josh

04-28-2008 at 01:48 PM
Blondbeard
Good hold. Especially 1S4W was impressive. However: Some of the rooms are too bulky. Somewhat like Beethro's Teacher. Some unecesarry fill out stuff. For example: Why three aumtlichs in 1S3W? The "point" of the room could have been achived with one.

If your goal is to make as good holds as possible for the comunity to play I urge you to leave your holds for a longer time in Architecture. This hold was great, but it could have been even better.
04-29-2008 at 09:24 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Blondbeard wrote:
Good hold. Especially 1S4W was impressive. However: Some of the rooms are too bulky. Somewhat like Beethro's Teacher. Some unecesarry fill out stuff. For example: Why three aumtlichs in 1S3W? The "point" of the room could have been achived with one.

If your goal is to make as good holds as possible for the comunity to play I urge you to leave your holds for a longer time in Architecture. This hold was great, but it could have been even better.

Thanks for comments.

How can I do 1S 3W with one Aumtlich instead three? I believe it's possible, but can't figure out how. Please, demo with only one Aumtlich.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 04-30-2008 01:27 PM]
04-30-2008 at 01:13 PM
Tahnan
mxvladi wrote:
How can I do 1S 3W with one Aumtlich instead three? I believe it's possible, but can't figure out how. Please, demo with only one Aumtlich.
By getting rid of two of the pressure plates. The idea behind the comment is that there's a technique here--"get an aumtlich onto a pressure plate"--where doing it once is interesting, but doing it three times is just repetitive.

I'm not sure I agree, but I believe that's the suggestion.
04-30-2008 at 05:14 PM
Blondbeard
Tahnan wrote:
mxvladi wrote:
By getting rid of two of the pressure plates. The idea behind the comment is that there's a technique here--"get an aumtlich onto a pressure plate"--where doing it once is interesting, but doing it three times is just repetitive.

I'm not sure I agree, but I believe that's the suggestion.

Not really. That's not the trick.

04-30-2008 at 08:49 PM
Tahnan
Blondbeard wrote:
Not really. That's not the trick....
Er, yes, good point. To rephrase what I said above: mxvladi, they're not saying "this room can be done with one aumtlich"; they're saying that instead of

do lots of tricky stuff with one aumtlich, then lure him onto one of the three pressure plates and also lure two others onto pressure plates

the room could have been

do lots of tricky stuff with one aumtlich, then lure him onto the single pressure plate

I hope that's a better rephrasing, Blondbeard; the upshot, with respect to mxvladi's post, is still that--

1. The suggestion is that the room would have been better with two fewer aumtlichs and two fewer pressure plates, and
2. If the hold had been in Architecture longer, there would have been a chance to give you that feedback.

05-01-2008 at 12:16 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I don't think there's anything wrong with the extra aumtlichs - it adds a red herring -
It also makes it slightly more interesting to optimise. Rooms that consist of nothing but a linchpin can be a little dry, IMO.

05-01-2008 at 04:26 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
In this hold, Rooted Empire : The Entrance needs to be marked unscorable.

I liked the puzzle at 1N1W, which was clever. :)

I didn't like the puzzle at 1S4W, where I found it painfully tedious to keep the fegundo alive. :(
05-07-2008 at 11:34 AM
Sandalo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
admin wrote:
seven normal puzzles and one secret. Puzzles are nice and rather tricky.

one secret? seems too secret to me :no
I need some hint to find it: want to see what's behind the master wall
06-06-2008 at 11:09 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Look for crumbly wall in

06-07-2008 at 05:33 AM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
This is a short hold where you'll play as a slayer through a variety of puzzle rooms. In most of the rooms you'll be manipulating enemies in a number of ways - blocking aumtlich beams, destroying tar and activating pressure plates are some of them.

I found the trickiest room to be Imperial undergound: 1S4W where you have to keep a fegundo alive whilst doing some of the manipulation I mentioned above.

There is a bit of story via opening and closing cut scenes - there are some spelling issues but I always find that some story adds to a hold and gives it a bit more depth.

My Verdict:

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 6

Progress - Gavin G
03-14-2012 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : 46-th Slayer adventure (Nice puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com