Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Cave of Eyes (Eyes, snakes, and seeps)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.0/10 (17 votes)
σ 1.19
Author Name:VIP COOL
Submitted By:VIPCOOL
Hold Name:The Cave of Eyes
Theme:Eyes, snakes, and seeps
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:5
Number of Rooms:21
Number of Monsters:590
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Cave of Eyes.hold (9.6 KB)
Downloaded 1875 times.
License: Other
icon The Cave of Eyes  
This is a five level hold. It has one secret room and a final boss level at the end.
04-10-2007 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: The Cave of Eyes (+1)  
This is a nice little hold. None of the puzzles are too hard, but a few are quite nice. I'd say the main theme isn't eyes alone but eye + serpent rooms, with a healthy dose of seeps.

TCB effects are limited to lighting, except in secret rooms, this is basically a JTRH hold, and except for the seeps would even have fit in nicely in AE. But the lighting effects are used well where they are used.

Its also cool to be first through almost all of something.

Fun:7/10
Difficulty: Oh, lets say 3.5/10

04-10-2007 at 07:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
good hold. nice, tight rooms... the main thing getting in the way of difficulty, though, is that if a room is too tight, where you die with every misstep, it becomes easy to find the solution by finding the move where you don't die :)

04-10-2007 at 12:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
The is definatly Vip's best hold yet. Nice solid puzzles. Keep up the work, Vip!

I gave this a 7 with 3.5 brains.
04-11-2007 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
voyager
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 150
I agree, this was a fun little hold. The eye/snake puzzles were interesting on their own, but I liked how the seeps kind of force your hand and make you get moving in places where it would have been easier to stand still.

Also, I appreciated the boss-style room at the end, even if it wasn't so difficult. I've always been sort of sad about the lack of boss battles in DROD holds (except the infamous Neather, of course...). Nicely done.
04-12-2007 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Simon
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: The Cave of Eyes (0)  
I have just downloaded this hold, but cannot play it for some reason. My version of the game does not seem to be advanced enough for this hold (it tells me that I need to download a more advanced version from this site). Where do I get the version that I need in order to run this game?
04-14-2007 at 12:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Simon wrote:
I have just downloaded this hold, but cannot play it for some reason. My version of the game does not seem to be advanced enough for this hold (it tells me that I need to download a more advanced version from this site). Where do I get the version that I need in order to run this game?
At the top of this page there is the following row in the table:
Version: DROD: The City Beneath
so you need The City Beneath (TCB) or it's demo to play this hold.

Look here (or click on the logo in the top right corner of all pages here) for more info - be sure to read the "Breaking news" part at the top... :)

np: New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle (Singles (Disc 1))

04-14-2007 at 12:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Simon
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Thanks, Briareos.

I have just bought it and I look forward to playing it!
04-15-2007 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
When I am finishing 4 level I receive errors:
Assertion error in line 77 of .\MonsterFactory.cpp: "eType < MONSTER_TYPES"

Assertion error in line 198 of .\MonsterFactory.cpp: "Unexpected monster type."
I tried to uncompress .hold file (9862 byte) using diamond utilities and it seems damaged: I see only start of the room at 5 level, but do not see the end of it. Could someone give me a good version of this hold?
05-05-2007 at 12:54 PM
kmt
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
Very nice hold. I liked it a lot.

One small problem, however. Other than the TCB demo, this is the first hold I am playing with the TCB tileset. As in JtRH, there are two types of crumbly walls - obvious and not-so-obvious. Perhaps it is my color blindness or perhaps it was intentional, but the crumbly walls in TCB are much more difficult to see than in JtRH. So much so that I cannot see the not-so-obvious ones even when I know where they are. Is there a fix for this?
07-21-2008 at 07:27 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
kmt wrote:
Perhaps it is my color blindness or perhaps it was intentional, but the crumbly walls in TCB are much more difficult to see than in JtRH. So much so that I cannot see the not-so-obvious ones even when I know where they are. Is there a fix for this?
I personally use this mod. It turns all breakable/secret walls into brightly coloured squares.
07-21-2008 at 07:41 PM
kmt
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
Syntax wrote:
I personally use this mod. It turns all breakable/secret walls into brightly coloured squares.
Thanks for pointing out the mod. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to make it work. I downloaded both the .png file and the .zip file and tried both of the methods listed in the post for modifying the .ini file. No luck. Any help on this would be great.
07-22-2008 at 05:10 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Continued via PM
07-22-2008 at 11:29 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Just started playing this hold. I quite liked first level, and first room of second level - they're not hard but good made and designed.

Nice job.
08-01-2008 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
After playing this hold a lot(now on fifth level), I suddenly realised one thing:

I HATE SEEPS! :angry

This hold has perfect seep usage. Although it's VIPCOOL's first hold, it's a little better than even some of his next offers - at least for me...

Yeah, seep, eyes and serpents usage in this hold is AWESOME. Plus a little of roaches and roach queens. ;)

COOL! :thumbsup
08-04-2008 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Cave of Eyes (Eyes, snakes, and seeps) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com