Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Adam's Tower (None)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.4/10 (33 votes)
σ 2.27
Author Name:hyperme
Submitted By:hyperme
Hold Name:Adam's Tower
Theme:None
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:45
Number of Monsters:720
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Adams Tower .hold (16.5 KB)
Downloaded 1423 times.
License: Other
icon Adam's Tower  
This is my first hold. Its not hard or brillant, just normal

05-19-2007 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bomber50
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 872
icon Re: Adam's Tower (0)  
Just finished this hold and mastered it.

I have to say that it was a pretty good hold.

Can't wait for the sequel!

One high-score notice however: On the bonus level of this hold, there are some rooms that shouldn't be high-scorable.

05-20-2007 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Adam's Tower (+1)  
to clarify bomber's statement: there's 2 rooms that shouldn't be marked as scorable: "Floor Second: 1W", "Floor Fourth: 1E". I one-move demoed every other non-scorable room, though the spider appears to be enjoying a pina colada in Aruba at the moment.

[Last edited by silver at 05-20-2007 06:32 AM]
05-20-2007 at 06:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Is it an error that the southern stairs in "Floor Second: Entrance" end the hold?
05-20-2007 at 07:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
I suspect so - so do the stairs in the warp room which supposedly go to the second level.

05-20-2007 at 07:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Mastered! Fine first hold. 2brains and 5 fun. Next time don't put force arrows on room entrances.

05-20-2007 at 08:14 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Fairly easy, ok hold.
05-20-2007 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Tahnan wrote:
Is it an error that the southern stairs in "Floor Second: Entrance" end the hold?

This hold's promotion was held up for weeks because of this, but the architect didn't fix it or otherwise communicate with us, and eventually we decided to just go ahead and promote it since this isn't a serious problem, just an annoyance.

05-20-2007 at 03:07 PM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Not too bad of a hold- I gave it a 6 and 2 brains.
05-20-2007 at 04:54 PM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
This was perfect difficulty for me, I loved it!
9 fun and 6 brains.

05-22-2007 at 10:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
Rank Points: 64
I actually enjoyed the "secret" rooms and those behind master walls most... the rest was pretty straight forward and just running thorugh...
05-22-2007 at 01:12 PM
Tahnan
I suppose I should post and say I gave the hold a 3/10. I just didn't find it that inspired; most rooms were pretty much just walk-through-its, some notable examples on a casual skim of the hold being Second:1S1W, the secret room on Second, Fourth:3E, Fourth:1S3E... Add that to little annoyances like force arrows on room entrances, hold cliches ("oh, look, a vague threat written with walls"), and buggy stairs, and I just didn't really see anything to like.
05-22-2007 at 05:13 PM
captainzakku
Rank Points: 77
icon Re: Adam's Tower (+2)  
First off some my favorite rooms:
Click here to view the secret text

Some (hopefully) constructive criticism for the hold designer:

I would agree with Tanan there were quite a few rooms that were walk throughs. L4 1S 3E just seemed completely pointless to me. Why bother spending the time to build a room that can be beaten so easily without any thought at all? Why put in the tunnels?

My bigger gripe though was the combination of entrance force arrows and no save points. To an optimizer this is tremendously frustrating, as in many cases it requires going back and beating an old room just to be able to enter the new room facing the right direction. A good example is L2 1S. A save point in the entrance would have made life a little easier there. As it turned out direction didn't truly matter there, but still, on first glance it sure seems like it does.

06-23-2007 at 01:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
I'd also have to echo Tahnan's sentiment. As I played it, I actually said to myself that the layout seemed rather uninspired, though not terrible. The hold is mostly enjoyable in that there is a fair amount of variety to it, and even when the solution is simple, it's not necessarily boring (with a few possible exceptions). I've gotta ask, though. What's the point of Floor Fourth 2S3E? Was there supposed to be more that just didn't get put in?

06-27-2007 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
Easy hold. The only room that actually gave me a need to think was Floor Second: 1W.

4 overall.The layout is okay. Not horrible, but not great, either. The rooms gave me a laugh when I mowed down monsters, going like "Is that all ya got?" The latter master wall room was a flashback from maybe a room in KDD, level 3. The former would be level 8.

Reviewer's Rating:
2 brains
4 overall

[Last edited by Monkey at 06-30-2007 08:06 PM]
06-28-2007 at 12:56 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Monkey wrote:
I'm shooting down something.
captainzakku wrote:
First off some my favorite rooms:
*Other stuff*
That room is indeed highscoreable. I found out the trick in a few minutes.

The room is not highscoreable. Any demo that involves crossing a master wall is automatically disqualified by the spider. It's impossible to clear this room without crossing the master wall.

06-28-2007 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
Errrmmmm... 1 move demo? :whistle

06-30-2007 at 01:03 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Monkey wrote:
Errrmmmm... 1 move demo? :whistle
What for? 1 move demos will only mark the room uninteresting if there's no monsters in it...

np: Apparat - Fractales Pt.II (Walls)

06-30-2007 at 11:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
You know, I'd swear that I've warned Monkey before about trying to give authoritative answers to issues he doesn't fully understand.
06-30-2007 at 07:08 PM
silver
dear author, please do the following:

click "profile" on the top of the screen under the logo.
then click the "my holds" tab.
then click "High Score-able rooms" link next to "Perfect Chaos"
then click the checkboxes next to the rooms "Floor Second - 1 West" and "Floor Fourth - 1 East"
then scroll to the bottom and hit the "Update High Scores Database" button.

this is because those room require stepping on master doors to solve, which causes them to appear to be "unsolvable" to the game. doing the above steps will make it so that they don't appear as unfinished rooms in people's lists.

08-04-2007 at 11:10 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
silver wrote:
then click the "my holds" tab.
then click "High Score-able rooms" link next to "Adam's Tower"
then click the checkboxes next to the rooms "Floor Second - 1 West" and "Floor Fourth - 1 East"

Fixed.

08-04-2007 at 06:15 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
As the author stated, this isn't particular difficult or brilliant but a very fun play nonetheless. It doesn't have a lack of polish or lots of tedious puzzles like many of the "easy" holds, but remains engaging throughout. I had fun looking forward to seeing what kinds of puzzles were in the next room. The bit of scripting in the "secret chamber" at the end was a clever idea too.

I don't think I have much to add that hasn't already been added. Quite enjoyable for an easy hold, we need far more like this.

06-24-2011 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Adam's Tower (None) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com