Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro Budkin in "That Really Annoying Hold" (Evil :/)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

2.5/10 (27 votes)
σ 2.54
Author Name:Tom
Submitted By:Blood Maggot
Hold Name:Beethro Budkin in "That Really Annoying Hold"
Theme:Evil :/
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:36
Number of Monsters:5148
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-1 (+12 / -13)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Beethro Budkin in That Really Annoying Hold3.hold (22.7 KB)
Downloaded 2286 times.
License: Other
icon Beethro Budkin in "That Really Annoying Hold"  
I made this for the sole intent of annoying people. I'm fairly sure the whole thing is solvable, I checked through a little bit. If any room is unsolvable, it's the multiple snake room. Too lazy to check ¬_¬

Oh, and please rate it on how annoying it is :)
10-10-2005 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
icon Re: Beethro Budkin in (0)  
Um, my connection timed out just as it was about to finish, but I think the hold is still ok.
10-10-2005 at 07:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
:P

Fine, I'll go try it. *prepares sunglasses with annoyance protection* :glasses

[Last edited by Chaco at 10-10-2005 07:30 PM]
10-10-2005 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Just to be sure, is this hold completable?
10-10-2005 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
I doubt it. So far, Thrice West has turned out to be more frustratingly difficult than just simply annoying. Though it's certainly a very irritating hold.

10-10-2005 at 07:57 PM
Doom
icon Re: Beethro Budkin in (+1)  
Yeah, 3W was challenging, but doable.

Some impossible-seeming parts:
1N4W - You can't reach the tar mother, but the room is required so you can't drop the blue doors.
2N - You can't reach this room because there are walls at the entrance. I checked it at the show room location thing.

I'm suggesting that this hold should be updated to be beatable, because otherwise the perfectionists can never get all holds completed.
10-10-2005 at 08:17 PM
Blood Maggot
Whoa, damn. I never noticed that.

Well, I edited out the errors. The new one is here.
10-10-2005 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
The latest impossible part:
I can't find a way to 7N.

I really think that you should have played through the whole hold before submitting it...
10-11-2005 at 05:13 AM
Blood Maggot
Sorry. I checked, but not enough. I fixed 2 problems this time, it seems ok.
10-11-2005 at 08:10 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Beethro Budkin in (+2)  
Doom wrote:
The latest impossible part:
I can't find a way to 7N.

I really think that you should have played through the whole hold before submitting it...

If you are setting out to make a very annoying hold, your punishment should be to play though it first.
10-11-2005 at 08:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
:D

10-11-2005 at 11:57 AM
Doom
10N2W seems to have multiple orbs with wrong destinations. Clearly impossible to continue further.

I'll go a little ahead. Following bugs picked up from room image display:

10N2W: No exit to west
10N3W: Impossible to pick any of the potions without getting killed.
9N9W: Impossible to backtrack through this room after dropping blue doors.
10-11-2005 at 02:49 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
And why are you posting updates as attachments in this thread? You should go to Profile, click on the My Holds tab, and upload a new version there. Otherwise, when this hold finally does work, the version that people can get high scores with won't be the most updated one.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-11-2005 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneway
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Oneiro: That's just part of his 'annoyance' tactics.

And i think it's working. It seems the holds forums is being used as the architecture forum. I also have a strong feeling the author is abusing the very friendly nature of this community.

10-11-2005 at 04:44 PM
Doom
Well, holds forum shouldn't be used as a place for architecturing, no matter what kind of hold you're doing. It just makes things more complicated when there's also CaravelNet involved. Speaking about that, is there something wrong with the spider? I couldn't reupload my scores for the earlier rooms after this hold was updated for the last time.

Unfortunately this definitely isn't the most annoying hold I've played :( (And that's all I'm going to say about that subject. No naming here...)

And Oneiromancer, this hold has also been updated via the holds board system. But I agree that the attachments in this thread are useless.
10-11-2005 at 05:09 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Doom wrote:
And Oneiromancer, this hold has also been updated via the holds board system. But I agree that the attachments in this thread are useless.
Okay, I didn't realize that. But yes, no reason to have attachments both in the thread and at the top.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-11-2005 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Doom wrote:
Speaking about that, is there something wrong with [CaravelNet]? I couldn't reupload my scores for the earlier rooms after this hold was updated for the last time.
Good news! Players don't have to re-upload previous victory demos when a CaravelNet hold is upgraded. CaravelNet keeps your old demos around and will re-verify them for you.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-11-2005 at 07:54 PM
patmo98
Rank Points: 39
Blood Maggot wrote:
Sorry. I checked, but not enough. I fixed 2 problems this time, it seems ok.

Did you know that when you update the hold it updates the attachment on the top post? Their is no reason to post all of those other attachments on diffierent posts. If you edit your messages you can remove the files.
10-12-2005 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blood Maggot
I'm sorry, I never realised that that file in the first post would get updated.
10-12-2005 at 06:51 AM
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Beethro Budkin in (-1)  
Hey, we have alot of 'Annoying Holds' already! The more, merrier. :) Whoever loves these holds, go get 'Bad Evil Resuraunt (Exiting).

10-14-2005 at 03:04 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I still don't get why everybody's been modding him down for doing exactly what he set out to do.
11-06-2005 at 04:51 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Beethro Budkin in (+2)  
I'm interpreting it as an endearing way to say, "Congratulations, a terrible hold!"

11-06-2005 at 07:42 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Banjooie wrote:
I still don't get why everybody's been modding him down for doing exactly what he set out to do.

Because some people think he shouldn't have set out to do it in the first place?

(Note - I didn't mod him down, but I'm guessing that's the reason).

11-06-2005 at 07:58 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
A couple of those points might have been sent because the hold is impossible to complete, unless it has been updated while I wasn't watching (you know how sneaky holds can get).
11-06-2005 at 08:43 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I don't know. I think if you specifically ask 'how can I engineer the worst hold known to mankind', and you actually spend the time to figure out how to do it, that's gotta be worth something.
11-07-2005 at 08:19 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Sure it's worth something. But no-one promised it'd be something worth having :)

11-07-2005 at 08:22 PM
Doom
wallu wrote:
Mike's fix didn't help much because next room 10N3W is impossible. When you step on mimic potion, you will be killed by roach.

Most likely there are more to fix after that point also.
True, as pointed by me 6 months ago ;) :
Doom wrote:
10N2W seems to have multiple orbs with wrong destinations. Clearly impossible to continue further.

I'll go a little ahead. Following bugs picked up from room image display:

10N2W: No exit to west
10N3W: Impossible to pick any of the potions without getting killed.
9N9W: Impossible to backtrack through this room after dropping blue doors.

[Last edited by Doom at 05-09-2006 10:10 PM]
05-09-2006 at 09:54 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
And please, this is (well, it was until Mike 'fixed' it) an AE hold, so make the changes with that version instead.

05-09-2006 at 11:35 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Stefan wrote:
And please, this is (well, it was until Mike 'fixed' it) an AE hold, so make the changes with that version instead.
Gah, I'm sorry for overlooking that. I don't have the AE version any more. Would someone reattach it, and I'll fix it up in AE this time?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-10-2006 at 05:22 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119

File: Beethro Budkin in That Really Annoying Hold.hold (22.7 KB)
Downloaded 61 times.
License: Other
mrimer wrote:
Gah, I'm sorry for overlooking that. I don't have the AE version any more. Would someone reattach it, and I'll fix it up in AE this time?
Here you go.

[Last edited by Stefan at 05-10-2006 06:27 PM : licensing]
05-10-2006 at 06:25 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro Budkin in "That Really Annoying Hold" (Evil :/)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com