Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : 39th Guard -1- Silent Cliff (Various puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.6/10 (14 votes)
σ 2.35
Author Name:SuperV
Submitted By:vittro
Hold Name:39th Guard -1- Silent Cliff
Theme:Various puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:40
Number of Monsters:1128
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: 39th Guard -1- Silent Cliff.hold (165.3 KB)
Downloaded 1158 times.
License: Other
icon 39th Guard -1- Silent Cliff  
One of the Empire Runners accidentally dropped an important document. You, the Stalwart Army and many others will fight to get that scroll.

Various puzzles with custom graphics, a nice story and the first part of the series.

"Modified guard art used with permission of Caravel Games (247512)"
06-17-2008 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
fratropea
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
icon Re: 39th Guard -1- Silent Cliff (0)  
I cannot play on caravelNet:
When unloading the hold unloads the Beta version!
???
06-17-2008 at 10:43 PM
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
Iirc that happens because you were a tester and the beta board hasn't been deleted yet. Can't think of good search words for looking at what happened with the earlier cases, but it should be working properly soon.
06-17-2008 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: 39th Guard -1- Silent Cliff (+1)  
Here's a fine creative effort from Vittro. It's a set of player role guard puzzles, with a story and artwork to go with them. :)

The level design is interesting, with loose themes of "constant room template," races against time, wubbas. The puzzles are okay, with some very nice standouts. The custom sprites are a very nice touch, as they make it possible to distinguish the player from other guards. And the "final showdown" is deliciously confusing.

(And fratropea, the beta board has been deleted now. Just quit out of DROD and come back, and you'll be able to play for HS on CNet.)
06-17-2008 at 11:19 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
It's possible to get permanently stuck in this hold - if you play the second level (Old Dungeons), open the blue doors, head to Once North (where we get our protagonist's "Ha, I got rid of that Slayer, I must go to Silent Cliff" speech, then head through the Once North Once West series of rooms and head down to Once South again, the door won't open since the Aumtlichs will be dead. You'll then have to restore back some rooms.

I'm thinking this could be fixed with some sort of wubba, blue door, and pressure plate combination.

06-17-2008 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Chaco wrote:
It's possible to get permanently stuck in this hold --- I'm thinking this could be fixed with some sort of wubba, blue door, and pressure plate combination.
Yeah, I thought about that possibility earlier but when I went through that route quickly in the editor in my head after playing the hold, I missed the somewhat hidden yellow door in the aumtlich room.

A blue sister gate in 1N should fix it easily without a chance of affecting any solutions.
06-18-2008 at 12:09 AM
fratropea
Rank Points: 87
Hold very interesting with very good architecture and nice story.
Any rooms are very hard but very amusing and riveting!!! :P
GOOD JOB, VITTRO!!! :thumbsup
06-18-2008 at 01:29 AM
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Thanks everyone! I will try to fix that problem and re-upload, if the HAs let me do it. Also, the sequel is almost complete! 39th Guard's adventure has just begun!

06-18-2008 at 10:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
It seems to be possible to trap yourself in abandoned palace 1S1E also. No big deal.
Click here to view the secret text

06-19-2008 at 06:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Blondbeard wrote:
It seems to be possible to trap yourself in abandoned palace 1S1E also. No big deal.
This possibility is prevented by scripting, which worked properly when I checked it. Does it not work for you?

06-19-2008 at 06:54 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Oops! I just looked at the layout.

Anyway... I have conquered the hold now. I liked it quite a bit. Oh, and I hate wubbas :P
06-19-2008 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
talund
Rank Points: 95
I may have found an unintended solution to Rocky Fields, 1S.
So the timing portion of the final part of the room becomes irrelevant. Or was that intentional to be nice to people like me?
06-19-2008 at 09:09 PM
vittro
talund wrote:
I may have found an unintended solution to Rocky Fields, 1S.
So the timing portion of the final part of the room becomes irrelevant. Or was that intentional to be nice to people like me?

Oh well, good job finding it, but I can't fix unintended solution, I think.

06-19-2008 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Mastered. There's a whole lot to like in this hold; it's not easy, but it's consistently interesting. (A "bomb maze" made of roaches!) Well worth playing.
06-20-2008 at 07:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Tahnan wrote:
Mastered. There's a whole lot to like in this hold; it's not easy, but it's consistently interesting. (A "bomb maze" made of roaches!) Well worth playing.

Thanks! I also need lots of criticism, tell me what you didn't like.

:)

06-21-2008 at 08:35 PM
talund
So I've mastered the hold but can't figure out how to reach the "Hall of Mastery".

Aside from that, I found this to be a consistently challenging and interesting hold that make good use of a variety of DROD elements.

My least favorite rooms were Old Dungeon 1N (very frustrating because you had to both trap the slayer and plot a course that results in all of the tiles being dropped) and Abandoned Palace, 1S (similarly but different frustration - kill the various roaches while not getting trapped required similarly careful path plotting).

That being said, the rooms were consistent with the level of challenge posed by the rest of the hold. Really, no big complaints here.

06-23-2008 at 10:38 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
talund wrote:
So I've mastered the hold but can't figure out how to reach the "Hall of Mastery".
If you'd like to check it out, the master door is in Rocky Mountains : The Entrance.
06-23-2008 at 10:42 PM
talund
Thanks.
06-23-2008 at 10:53 PM
captainzakku
Rank Points: 77
vittro wrote:

Thanks! I also need lots of criticism, tell me what you didn't like.

:)

Not quite mastered, and great so far.

My one gripe is with the force arrows when entering a room. For 90% of people this won't matter, but if you optimize, it means having to replay from previous rooms just to change your orientation, or starting square. For Rocky Fields 1E, that meant restoring back to 1N 1E just to change which way I was facing. There were several other examples in Old Dungeons. I just don't see how it adds anything to either the hold, or story.

07-17-2008 at 12:43 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
captainzakku wrote:
My one gripe is with the force arrows when entering a room. For 90% of people this won't matter,
Actually, in my experience, this annoys everyone, because they can't start on the square they want to without restoring.

07-17-2008 at 05:38 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Mastered!

This is certainly vittro's best hold to date, and it contains several really excellent puzzles.

Also, only one example of overuse of the Slayer, which you can choose to ignore if you want to.

So overall, I gave this hold an 8 for fun and 6.5 brains.

(My favorite room, by the way: Abandoned Palace 1S1E. Once you know what to do, it's actually quite easy to accomplish. Figuring out what to do is pretty tricky, though.)

Josh

10-08-2009 at 02:23 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: 39th Guard -1- Silent Cliff (+2)  
Apparently, at least one room in this hold, Rocky Mountains: 2N, is broken in 4.0.

Player needs to use tunnels to clear it and doesn't get to step on power token until doing so. Previously, it was possible to use tunnels after stabbing one of the monsters, but in 4.0 it doesn't work.

I guess that this bug was fixed in 4.0, and it broke this room.

A warning to anyone who wants to play it - use 3.0 engine for now.

EDIT: I've read though the whole topic of this tunnel bug, and HAs are aware of this room being broken. Still, a post about it in the hold's topic won't hurt, especially since it's *still* not updated.

The room is updated. Yay!

[Last edited by mxvladi at 02-16-2013 08:55 PM]
08-28-2012 at 01:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
mxvladi wrote:
Apparently, at least one room in this hold, Rocky Mountains: 2N, is broken in 4.0.

Player needs to use tunnels to clear it and doesn't get to step on power token until doing so. Previously, it was possible to use tunnels after stabbing one of the monsters, but in 4.0 it doesn't work.

I guess that this bug was fixed in 4.0, and it broke this room.

A warning to anyone who wants to play it - use 3.0 engine for now.

EDIT: I've read though the whole topic of this tunnel bug, and HAs are aware of this room being broken. Still, a post about it in the hold's topic won't hurt, especially since it's *still* not updated.

Never updated a finished hold before, what's the procedure?

09-09-2012 at 09:59 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: 39th Guard -1- Silent Cliff (+2)  
vittro wrote:
Never updated a finished hold before, what's the procedure?

Ideally, HAs should have contacted you long ago(right when GaTEB got released, to be exact) about this issue and provide you with some info about what to do. Doesn't seem to be the case here.

But, as far as I remember, it's something like this:

First thing you need to do is to actually fix the issue (without changing anything else, that includes hold ID; I sure hope you still have the .player file you used to make this hold!), preferably in a way which leaves all scores valid. TF has suggested change for that room which will leave all scores valid in a thread about tunnel bug(which I linked to in my post above): adding power tokens at 3,13 and 25,13; if you don't have anything against it, I suggest that you change room that way.

Then, you attach the fixed version here, Schik uses it to update the hold. Then, everyone's happy and can play it in 4.0.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 09-09-2012 10:28 PM]
09-09-2012 at 10:26 PM
martz
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: 39th Guard -1- Silent Cliff (+5)  
This was an enjoyable hold.

I liked the level designs (interesting backgrounds and aesthetics) - levels were small enough to not get boring, and playing the guard role adds the additional puzzle element in some rooms of when to activate the monsters.

I couldn't pick any particular room out as an outstanding puzzle but I found the quality to be fairly high throughout. The only room I didn't really enjoy was Abandoned Palace: 1S as it felt a bit trial-and-error trying to extract the last few roaches from the wubba horde, but I would still highly recommend this to everyone:

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 8

Progress - Gavin G
09-08-2020 at 01:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : 39th Guard -1- Silent Cliff (Various puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com