Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Variations (A particular collaborative hold)
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
IP: Logged

File: Variations 8 Insoluble v2.zip (3.6 KB)
Downloaded 32 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Variations (0)  
Here's Variations #8 (Insoluble), with a demo. The new room is in 2E.

This room is probably my weakest so far; I did the standard thing of adding a brain and that does seem to make an interesting and different puzzle, but maybe it needs something else in there to make it much more original somehow. Regardless, here it is.

11-19-2015 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco

File: Variations 9 DimWiddy v3.zip (4.4 KB)
Downloaded 34 times.
Here's Variations #9 (DimWiddy), with a demo. The new room is in 1N1E.

This room features another heavy fellow who will jam up the rafts.

11-19-2015 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco

File: Variations 10 Jamesdenem v3.zip (4.8 KB)
Downloaded 34 times.
Finally, here's Variations #10 (Jamesdenem), of course with a demo provided. The new room is in 2N1W.

This room features non-blind temporal recordings, and a simpler paradox. For that reason it's probably a bit too easy, but maybe somebody else can make a properly difficult version.

11-19-2015 at 12:31 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527

File: Variations 9 DimWiddy.zip (7.4 KB)
Downloaded 34 times.
Okay, DimWiddy's + my variation attached here. I replaced the snake with an adder, gave the player a stick so they couldn't just stab it, and made non-looping platforms to make it harder to deal with. Which means both variations I've done so far included "add a stick".

Hmn, I wasn't around to object, and now they're out, so I wouldn't say to remove or not use them, but the idea was that each variation "later" in the chain is done only after looking at everyone else's variation, so that it's "harder" to come up with something new the more people who were before you for each hold, i.e., you're making the last room from the person right after you's original, so you have to look at 9 different rooms and make something still different from those. At least in theory having rooms already made way before it's your "turn" on that level breaks this idea by either risking someone else making a room like yours or (if shared, as above) making everyone else want to avoid making what you made, unbalancing the "difficulty" of the game.

I was adhering to this by not even downloading a hold until it's my turn to add to it, but I never mentioned it as a rule, and I don't actually mind that much if nobody else does.

It does seem we've both put our rooms in the same spot in DimWiddy's though, whoops. Shouldn't be too hard to fix by just copy-pasting your room to where it fits when your turn proper comes around.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-19-2015 05:44 AM]
11-19-2015 at 02:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DimWiddy
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 85

File: Variations 8 Insoluble v3.zip (4.6 KB)
Downloaded 29 times.
Whew! It took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted to do with this room, then even longer to figure out how to do it. It's pretty simple, but I feel like it's a decently different take on the room structure.

And THIS time, I remembered to edit it under the correct profile. ;)

[Last edited by DimWiddy at 11-19-2015 01:29 PM]
11-19-2015 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamesdenem
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 203

File: Variations 8 Insoluble.zip (5.2 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
A pretty nice room there, DimWiddy.

I was able to solve it without even using the speed potion, as my attached demo will show.

I also took the liberty of removing the blank rooms when adding my room, though they can be put back if wanted.

For my take on the room, I decided a time limit would make it interesting, so I added in some briar roots that will be freed once the pressure plate is activated.
Hopefully it will be a fun room that doesn't have too many unintended solutions.

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
11-19-2015 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DimWiddy
jamesdenem wrote:
I was able to solve it without even using the speed potion, as my attached demo will show.

Awesome! Feel free to add that as a challenge, somebody!

11-19-2015 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris

File: Variations 8 Insoluble.zip (6.8 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
Inspiration for my version began with putting a mirror on the button (which actually changes the parity of everything it's connected to!) and replacing the conquer token with a brain. The goal was to require the player to use the mirror and some cleverly timed unbraining-by-door to have the button down, head south, then get one eye off of it and another eye on it again just in time to reach the brain. I'm not completely sure if there's an unintended solution that doesn't use the mirror, but I couldn't find one myself. It seems like it's absolutely necessary to keep all the eyes alive until the brain is in reach, but again I'm not totally sure.

I also added DimWiddy's challenge to that room, but I'm unsure about the name I gave it. We can always rename it later, though.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-19-2015 10:18 PM]
11-19-2015 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Sorry guys, will take a look at this ASAP.

11-21-2015 at 07:24 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: Variations (+5)  
Really sorry everyone.

Please finish this off without me: I've been busy with work and my wife is about to give birth so time is very limited. So unfortunately I won't be able to complete this, interesting as it was.

12-21-2015 at 01:04 AM
Xindaris
Okay. Sorry to see you go, but I am happy for an opportunity to get the ball rolling.

Jacob leaving means the things he was going to vary now go to Someone Else instead. I mean literally the person with the username "Someone Else," not just anyone else at random. That's my original, jamesdenem's with my variation, Dimwiddy's with the 2 variations on it, and Insoluble's with 3 variations in it. Don't feel you need to rush through it, though.

I think blorx1's needs to be varied by Insoluble still, Nuntar's original needs to be made (or did I miss it somewhere?), and some other stuff...

I'm gonna say, leave the numbers alone for now. We can adjust them in the Final Edits, once all the passing around is done.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-21-2015 02:44 AM]
12-21-2015 at 02:13 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379

File: tasks.png (180.7 KB)
Downloaded 538 times.
icon Re: Variations (+3)  
This is where we are. If your name is in red, it's your turn:

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-24-2015 11:36 PM]
12-24-2015 at 11:36 PM
Xindaris
icon Re: Variations (+1)  
That is such a beautiful chart. I gave myself a headache when I was trying to go through and get all the information straight on what needs doing still. Thank you so much :D

12-25-2015 at 05:03 AM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
So I only just noticed this after downloading the hold I'm supposed to vary, but I think we should use the export all feature for demos (and make sure to import the demos from the previous variation), since the most recent file for Variations 4 only has demos for one room and I think there are ways around that.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 12-28-2015 07:22 PM]
12-28-2015 at 07:22 PM
blorx1

File: Variation 4 Chaco v4.zip (5.6 KB)
Downloaded 33 times.
Here's variation on Chaco's room (it's mostly a modification of disoriented's room). It also has all the old demos and some bonus demos that I made.
One being an odd solution to Nuntar's room and another being a no golem solution to chaco's room.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 12-28-2015 08:29 PM]
12-28-2015 at 08:28 PM
Xindaris
I'd been intending from the start for everyone to do Export All every time, and I have been, but I have indeed noticed some uploads haven't been doing it.

12-28-2015 at 10:55 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Sorry - I've been on vacation, and I'll get back on this in a few days.
12-29-2015 at 02:23 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299

File: Variations 1 Xindaris.rar (6.7 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
Got a chance to build my variation for Xindaris' level! I believe Chaco is done his, so if he adds it it's disoriented's turn.

(Note: "disoriented's" sounds really odd to me.)
12-30-2015 at 02:17 AM
disoriented

File: Variations 1 Xindaris v4.zip (9.7 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
icon Re: Variations (+2)  
Adjective possessives do sound strange.

Here's my variation of Xindaris' original (Chaco's room is here too). Nuntar is next.

12-30-2015 at 08:46 PM
disoriented

File: progress.png (58.1 KB)
Downloaded 381 times.
icon Re: Variations (+2)  
And an updated progress chart:

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-30-2015 08:48 PM]
12-30-2015 at 08:48 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576

File: Variations 6 Nuntar.hold (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
I made a room! :D

12-31-2015 at 04:34 PM
blorx1

File: Variations 6 Nuntar v2.zip (13.6 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
Here's a horrid variation:
Also, Nuntar, could you post a demo so that the next person to add a room can add it to the demo file?

12-31-2015 at 06:15 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Here's another variation on blorx1's room, mixing bits from the original and Chaco's version. It's probably a good bit simpler than the original. It's also probably broken.

EDIT: I should not be architecting after 1:00AM. Please do not use the room that was previously attached and use the one below instead.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 01-03-2016 04:49 AM]
01-02-2016 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble

File: Variations 4 Chaco .zip (6.3 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
And here's one for Chaco's room (also probably broken). That;s two more rooms for DimWiddy to make variations on.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 01-02-2016 04:57 AM]
01-02-2016 at 04:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DimWiddy
AWRIIIIGHT! I've been waiting for some work! :D

01-02-2016 at 08:10 AM
Chaco
Someone Else wrote:
Got a chance to build my variation for Xindaris' level!

Someone Else, I think your challenge scripting is broken; it can award the challenge even if you do use the speed potion.

I think instead of this code block:
If ...
 Wait for clean room
  If ...
   Wait for entity Double at (x, y)
    <challenge completed>
If end
If end

You might want something like this:

If ...
 Wait for event Room Conquered
  If ...
   Wait for entity Double at (x, y)
   If ...
     Wait for door to Close at (red door)
      <challenge completed>
If end
If end
If end

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-02-2016 03:55 PM]
01-02-2016 at 03:54 PM
Insoluble

File: Variations 7 blorx1.zip (3.8 KB)
Downloaded 29 times.
Ugh. Sorry DimWiddy and others to follow. In my haste to actually finish up the room I made a silly mistake in the Variations room and accidentally switched the order of things. I've re-uploaded the correct version (still probably broken). the demo is still the same, but I've uploaded the zip file with both just for good measure. Please use this instead of the previous one.

01-03-2016 at 04:48 AM
disoriented

File: Variations.png (56.4 KB)
Downloaded 187 times.
This is probably up to date:

[Last edited by disoriented at 01-13-2016 07:10 AM]
01-13-2016 at 07:09 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576

File: Variations 1 Xindaris.zip (5.5 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
Variation on Xindaris's room. I also fixed the challenge scripting in Someone Else's.

This variation uses the given room template while completely changing the level theme. Hope it's okay ;)

01-14-2016 at 08:49 PM
blorx1
Nuntar, it looks like there are no demos for the other rooms in the demo file. Now that I think about it, if other players make demos with their own player profiles, it might not export if you use export all. Not really sure.

Edit: Also looking at it, I'm not sure it's possible to pass through 2E because of the spawing nests.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 01-14-2016 11:02 PM]
01-14-2016 at 10:47 PM
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Variations (A particular collaborative hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com