Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD Developer Interviews
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon DROD Developer Interviews (+6)  
Part one was recorded this afternoon, and is now viewable up on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnXf6qBcpSY

Part Two is also up. Once again, huge thanks to Mike for taking the time to chat about the development process of TSS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxdLxQVHKk4

Part three is finally up. Thanks again to Erik for his insights on the evolution of DROD and the conclusion of Beethro's story!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stzZ_UWPm4I

They'll also be archived on the site here!

BE WARNED: WE DISCUSS MAJOR TSS PLOT POINTS UP TO AND INCLUDING THE GOOD ENDING. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED, PLEASE AVOID THIS UNTIL A LATER DATE.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 08-25-2014 04:46 AM]
08-02-2014 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: DROD Developer Interviews (0)  
Oh, man! Aren't the new weapons part of the level editor? Please, please, please add them in! I think people can do brilliant puzzles with weapon switching tokens, as it works in the game. I thought the new weapons was the best game element adition of TSS, and have enjoyed playing with them imensly :)
08-08-2014 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: DROD Developer Interviews (+1)  
Blondbeard wrote:
Oh, man! Aren't the new weapons part of the level editor? Please, please, please add them in! I think people can do brilliant puzzles with weapon switching tokens, as it works in the game. I thought the new weapons was the best game element adition of TSS, and have enjoyed playing with them imensly :)

They're in the editor with the rest of the tokens. The only weapons in TSS not in the editor are:

(TSS bonus content spoilers below)

Click here to view the secret text

08-08-2014 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
mrimer said that sooner or later he'll release all the scripted-item and scripted-monster scripts from TSS so we can make holds with
without having to figure out how to write them ourselves (but they'll still be scripts - so not *directly* in the editor, but certainly easy enough to add with some cut and paste or something)

[Last edited by silver at 08-08-2014 08:43 PM]
08-08-2014 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Haha! False alarm then. On a diferent note I'm pleased to hear that Pearls doesn't really hate Schik. I got quite confused when he said something like that in a let's play...

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 08-08-2014 08:43 PM]
08-08-2014 at 08:43 PM
Godot23
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
Oh. Didn't realize temporal Aumtlich were scripted.

My house is on fire
08-08-2014 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
silver wrote:
mrimer said that sooner or later he'll release all the scripted-item and scripted-monster scripts from TSS so we can make holds with
without having to figure out how to write them ourselves (but they'll still be scripts - so not *directly* in the editor, but certainly easy enough to add with some cut and paste or something)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-08-2014 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133

My stuff:

08-08-2014 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842

08-08-2014 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: DROD Developer Interviews (+2)  
Patrick, Pearls and Larry, I really enjoyed listening to this developer session. Lots of great insights shared. Patrick, let's plan out the next one! I can make myself available on a future Saturday morning.

I should probably check out my mic+software setup with you beforehand to make sure I'm ready to go. Just let me know how you want to plan this.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-09-2014 at 05:16 PM
gamer_extreme_101
mrimer wrote:
Patrick, Pearls and Larry, I really enjoyed listening to this developer session. Lots of great insights shared. Patrick, let's plan out the next one! I can make myself available on a future Saturday morning.

I should probably check out my mic+software setup with you beforehand to make sure I'm ready to go. Just let me know how you want to plan this.
Give me a date, and just add me on Skype! (pwkfisher) Next week would work for me.

08-09-2014 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Happy to do one at some point too

08-09-2014 at 11:22 PM
Fang
Rank Points: 175
Oh, that will be great. I'll certainly be present in chat for when it will be decided to ask some more story-related questions, provided it's not during the weekend of the 23rd and 24th of this month.

08-10-2014 at 05:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Give me a date, and just add me on Skype! (pwkfisher) Next week would work for me.
Okay, I've added you. I'll see if this Saturday will work for me and get back to you.

08-11-2014 at 07:24 PM
mrimer
Yes, this Saturday morning at 8 AM (MDT) should work for me. Patrick, I sent you a Skype invite, but I don't think I received anything back from you yet. Just let me know when you're available to prep for this timeslot, if you'll be available.

08-14-2014 at 02:28 AM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: DROD Developer Interviews (+3)  
Just so everyone knows, we are on for Local Time:08-16-2014 at 03:00 PM for the next installment! If you have questions you'd like to ask in advance, please post them here. Otherwise, you can ask them live in CaravelNet Chat!

Interview will be streamed live on my Twitch Stream Page.

08-14-2014 at 05:25 PM
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
Mike,

please tell us the story of how the temporal split token came to be, and how it developed.

Was, for example, Braid the inspiration as Erik indicated?

[Last edited by karlpopper at 08-14-2014 08:39 PM : Italics]
08-14-2014 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
karlpopper wrote:
Mike,

please tell us the story of how the temporal split token came to be, and how it developed.

Was, for example, Braid the inspiration as Erik indicated?
I don't think I said Braid was the inspiration. It just reminded me of Braid.

Yes, Mike will have to answer that one.

-Erik

08-14-2014 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
I'd love to get you around for an interview Erik, by the way. :)

08-14-2014 at 07:07 PM
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
+1 on Erik offering perspective.

Mike,

I'd love to hear how Caravel works: it's a fully distributed team with really limited funding - you all have day jobs, I assume?

How many of you are there?
How many countries do you span?
Do you have meetings ever?, or do you do all stuff via the internal forum groups?

And of course, the unspoken question .... are you hanging up your sword? or are there other projects brewing?

Karl (from San Francisco, and the North of England)

08-14-2014 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I listened to part 1 and really enjoyed it. There is a bunch of story stuff that I didn't know about. Good job interviewing and Pearls and Larry are awesome to hear.

Patrick, I'm happy to do an interview. Saturday morning (or any morning) is pretty rough. I emailed to your ancient email address to talk about scheduling. If there's a better way to communicate, lemme know.

-Erik

08-15-2014 at 05:35 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: DROD Developer Interviews (+4)  
Part two is up! Once again want to thank Mike for taking the time to join me and chat about the development process of TSS!

If you missed it, I highly recommend watching it - the insight you get on the game and his design philosopy is absolutely incredible.

08-16-2014 at 07:41 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Awesome!
It was great to hear from Mike.
Looking forward to more (especially Erik).
08-16-2014 at 11:17 PM
gamer_extreme_101
So, it looks like we have a potential time for an interview with Erik - barring anything major coming up this week creating problems, we're going to be streaming the interview on Local Time:08-25-2014 at 12:00 AM. If there's a question you want asked and you won't be able to attend, make sure to let me know!

08-18-2014 at 04:30 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: DROD Developer Interviews (+4)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
So, it looks like we have a potential time for an interview with Erik - barring anything major coming up this week creating problems, we're going to be streaming the interview on Local Time:08-25-2014 at 12:00 AM. If there's a question you want asked and you won't be able to attend, make sure to let me know!

Will he be doing it in an Arky voice?

08-18-2014 at 04:34 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Just a reminder this is still scheduled for two hours from now! If you can't make it but have a question, make sure to ask it here!

08-24-2014 at 10:06 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Whose idea was the green poo in the Lava style?

08-24-2014 at 10:23 PM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: DROD Developer Interviews (+5)  
Part three is up! Once again, huge thanks to Erik. We had a good chat about the evolution of DROD, as well as the development of Beethro's storyline up to its conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stzZ_UWPm4I

08-25-2014 at 04:45 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Hey, was prringles actually something to do with the devs or was (s)he just the greatest spammer/market researcher of all time?

08-26-2014 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
It was not a dev. It was a longtime fan, but he hasn't been around lately. He never revealed to us who he was or what he was doing.

08-26-2014 at 03:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD Developer Interviews
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com