Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection Released (Our News for April)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection Released (+2)  
In between our full game releases, Caravel works closely with forum architects and play testers to bring you Smitemaster's Selections, one or more holds built at the same level of quality as our full game level sets. Smitemaster for Hire is the name of our newest DROD expansion pack. It contains two puzzle-packed holds from master architects Jason Fedor and Rasmus Björling.

Suit Pursuit is of medium difficulty. It picks up where the story of Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom left off last autumn. Beethro is making his way back to Rooted Hold to learn about the Grand Event, but someone in the Empire seems to not want him to know about it. This time, a border checkpoint requires him to start taking his Imperial "profession" seriously. Hilarity -- and a lot of smiting -- ensues. A cast of new and old faces make an appearance along the way.

Complex Complex is a difficult hold that harkens back to the days when Beethro is running his famed Roasted Roach Grill after clearing out King Dugan's Dungeon. Beethro receives a call to infiltrate the secret base of a rogue architect. The price is right, but when Beethro finds himself pinned between two warring factions, will he find he has bitten off more roach meat than he can chew?

You can order this Smitemaster's Selection for immediate download through your Caravel Forum account here:
http://caravelgames.com/Articles/SmitemastersSelections/SmitemasterForHire.html

You may also pre-order the limited-edition CD version of this Smitemaster's Selection. Ordering the CD version gives you a nice collectible item, allows you to download the holds immediately and also provides you with lots of bonus content on the CD. This issue features Chapter 3 from Alan Marshall's four-part audio drama This Pointless Thing Called Life. There is also a full-sized wallpaper of the beautiful CD cover drawn by Erik Hermansen, a DROD TCB in-game avatar portrait of a Negotiator from The City Beneath for use in your own holds, demo and full games, and more!

Mike Rimer has Taken Over the Caravel Basement

A while ago, Erik Hermansen, creator and 1st Builder of DROD, expanded his creative endeavours to building up ethicalspender.org and recently sold his share in Caravel Games to Mike Rimer. However, Erik plans to stick around as an emeritus member of the Caravel development team and continue contributing story, art, and music to upcoming expansions and full game titles. You can see his art featured on the CD cover of the Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection on our web site.

DROD RPG Upgrades

We have CaravelNet scoring of RPG holds almost ready to go. When this feature comes on-line, we will make available general promotion of the many excellent user-made RPG Holds that have been in the works. Soon after, we will release DROD RPG version 1.2, with bug fixes and new level editor features.

Frogs and Mice -- Not Dead Yet

People have been asking about the status of Frogs and Mice, a game planned for distribution through Garage Games last year and then cancelled. I promised some tidbit of news about this after the Smitemaster's Selection is released, so here goes. Caravel owns the rights to this game and the materials we've been acquiring for it, such as game levels, music, art, etc. At this point, the game is over halfway done but was on the back burner while DROD RPG and the latest SmS were developed and released. Now, the F&M project will move forward in our priority queue onto a medium or front burner. (Yes, the Caravel basement has a stove with some multiple of three burners on it. Vonnifa Budkin would love it.)

Since we no longer have a publishing deal with another company, Caravel has the freedom to produce and release this game how we want. The F&M theme is intriguing, but we have heard many fans express interest in receiving more DROD-world lore and fleshing out the canon and history of the Eighth, the world where Beethro lives. So, we are discussing retooling the story to take place in the Eighth, with a protagonist that is not-Beethro and not-Tendry. The game will still feature generally simpler puzzles with a lighter difficulty and easier learning curve than more recent DROD games. This is not all finalized, but we will share more information about this upcoming new full game as it becomes available. Look for updates in future issues of the Illumination.

Don't Ask Award

Robobob3000 has been nominated and selected as the recipient of a Don't Ask Award for his friendliness, responsibility, and wicked forum gaming. Forum member zwetschenwasser relates, "I'll never forget those fond days killing and healing the other fourteen people participating in his amazing forum game, The Circle. Robobob3000 has participated in everything from controlling the outcome of 15 lives with 15 HP each to musing on NaNoWriMo and the future of crazy scripting in traditional DROD. He's made Developers worry about evil RPG build 48 conspiracy theories and parted squabbling factions with telegrams. Heck! He even got Intelligent Qube right on Forum Games! This guy kicks butt!" Rob-o-bob, please select a prize from the forum prize list!

DROD Holds

And here are the latest DROD:TCB Holds, neglected by the Illumination since October, and now compiled by Robobob3000 for your smiting pleasure!
October: Under the Mountains, Advanced Concepts
November: Dungeon of Broken Orbs, RePuZla
December: Beethro's Search for Home, Christmas Tower, Wolly Olly and the Adder, Imperial Catacombs
January: Lightning, Reflections
March: El Dorado, Grud's dungeon, The Old School, Further Up and Further In
April: Missing Pieces

Forum Topic Picks

So, what did you do today?
I made a sandwich. I turned my computer on. I read this topic. I came to the realization that people on the internet are actually real people actually doing real things. I dropped my sandwich on the floor.

Activity Questionnaire
The forum community turns an eye on itself - how can we make our little corner of the internet more active and vibrant? Newbies, lurkers and old-timers alike, share your thoughts in this thread!

Simplification
Community architect calamarain wonders: where have all the simple holds gone? Not every hold needs to be a 50-room dungeon, complete with flashy scripting, dozens of interacting elements and custom tilesets. Any architects out there want to scale their work back a bit?

The Game of Empathy
Word, association, forum, game, competitive, majority, points, quick, easy, inviting.

Till next month, and good smiting!

-- Mike

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-28-2009 at 06:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
lakibuk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
icon Re: Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection Released (0)  
Nice, some fresh DROD food. Just solved the first rooms of Suit Pursuit and got the good old DROD feeling once more.

04-28-2009 at 08:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection Released (+1)  
Great work, Mike! What's this? Frogs and Mice spoilers! On the Eighth? I don't believe it!

Just to let everyone know, the reason why the April Illumination was delayed was because Mike wanted to have the SmS hold problems fixed before doing any post-announcing. Schik also got his typing monkeys back, hence why the server is feeling somewhat better.

However, I now have a slight logistics issue. Some members may know that I was unofficially organising next month's Illumination in Mike's absence. I have compiled some content, but spamming subscribers with two Illuminations within days (even if they are completely different), is probably not the best thing to do. Does anyone have any thoughts on when we should post the next Illumination? I think May 15 sounds like the best compromise between avoidng April's issue and getting the edition out as early into May as possible, but if anyone's got an alternative suggestion, I'd like to hear it.

Also, while I am here pre-announcing the next Illumination (*gasp* :tomato), if there is anyone who would like to contribute something else to it, be it content, an announcement or (coherent) ramblings about something, please do let me know.

Alright: now, back to smiting! (or actually for me, essay-writing)

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 04-28-2009 12:33 PM]
04-28-2009 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Note: The Ice Caverns Part -I-: The Cleaning was also released in April.

04-28-2009 at 12:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection Released (+3)  
mrimer wrote:
Rob-o-bob, please select a prize from the forum prize list!
Hey! I didn't ask for this!

But seriously though, this is quite flattering! Thank you! I see the community is still working on the capital-b thing, but I can't stay mad at you guys for long!

I know you typically frown on this, but can I transfer my prize to the winner of my latest forum game? I'm already a Caravel merch junkie anyway, and using a prize to give some weight to the game would actually please me more than anything else on the list.

04-28-2009 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
RoboBob3000 wrote:
mrimer wrote:

But seriously though, this is quite flattering! Thank you! I see the community is still working on the capital-b thing, but I can't stay mad at you guys for long!

I know you typically frown on this, but can I transfer my prize to the winner of my latest forum game? I'm already a Caravel merch junkie anyway, and using a prize to give some weight to the game would actually please me more than anything else on the list.

:unsure Looks like I picked the right person... ;D

04-28-2009 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5

File: 1337-RoboBob.png (8.5 KB)
Downloaded 1222 times.
License: Public Domain
On a slightly related note, I note that your number to the left of your posts is significant enough to take note of.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 04-28-2009 10:56 PM]
04-28-2009 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Robobob3000, because you managed to hit the 1337 mark in rank points, you are entitled to make a single post with as much leetness in it as possible. Only if you want to, though, as the forum generally looks down on this sort of reward.

But if you want to...

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
04-28-2009 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection Released (+2)  
12th Archivist wrote:
Robobob3000, because you managed to hit the 1337 mark in rank points, you are entitled to make a single post with as much leetness in it as possible. Only if you want to, though, as the forum generally looks down on this sort of reward.

But if you want to...
How about I shoot for the English-to-Korean-to-English-to-Leet translation?

1 1N OrDeR To ReCe1ve So Th12 AppRovAl 91ve an HONoR ANd! pHOrUM 8E1n' jOYfUL 1n mEH, TeH SwALLOw ExTEnd2 1n sEvErAl YEar2 ANd 8r1n92, 9OE2 Out And 1n oRDEr unY1ELd1N' sp1R1T 12 more Teh CommuN1tY Phor A8UNdANtly COnt1Nue2 and TEh th1n' mEh hoPe2 tEH pHacT th@ DOE2 AnD! WHeRe

Click here to view the secret text

04-28-2009 at 11:43 PM
agaricus5
RoboBob3000 wrote:
12th Archivist wrote:

But if you want to...
How about I shoot for the English-to-Korean-to-English-to-Leet translation?
:lol

Must... resist... [Good]... button....!

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 04-29-2009 12:02 AM]
04-29-2009 at 12:02 AM
zwetschenwasser
On an honest note, my Drod-enthusiasm seems to be declining for lack of official holds to play. I guess user-made holds don't appeal to me much... although I am still painfully slowlily :0 working on my hold... :|

04-29-2009 at 12:14 AM
agaricus5
zwetschenwasser wrote:
On an honest note, my Drod-enthusiasm seems to be declining for lack of official holds to play. I guess user-made holds don't appeal to me much... although I am still painfully slowlily :0 working on my hold... :|
What about the latest SmS? That *will* keep you busy, let me assure you.

If not, you could try some of the older AE holds if you haven't done so already. Many of them are definitely worth a shot and some are very different in terms of concepts compared to TCB holds.

04-29-2009 at 12:21 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Congrats on both your achievements RoboBob3000! And though it's not mentioned above in the blurb, RoboBob3000 has also been running the Survivor game for the last three months, putting in a lot of creativity and time for the amusement of just a few of us. It's appreciated!

[Last edited by noma at 04-29-2009 12:23 AM : gr.]
04-29-2009 at 12:23 AM
zwetschenwasser
I haves no greckles... So me try to get something yummy with contests (I played through Wonderland Adventures twice and mastered it.... I LOVED that game... *taps mrimer to see if we could negotiate getting MOFI onto the prize pile)

04-29-2009 at 12:24 AM
agaricus5
zwetschenwasser wrote:
I haves no greckles... So me try to get something yummy with contests (I played through Wonderland Adventures twice and mastered it.... I LOVED that game... *taps mrimer to see if we could negotiate getting MOFI onto the prize pile)
Out of curiosity, are there really no user-made holds that you would like to play? In terms of puzzle variety and quality, if you want it, we probably have at least one on the Holds board.

What sort of puzzles do you like? I'm sure we should be able to suggest things for you to busy yourself with. :)

04-29-2009 at 12:30 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection Released (+3)  
Taking a guess that Z likes the official holds because they have not too difficult puzzles with good stories, here are a few random suggestions off the top of my head:

Beethro's Brain by Dischorran

An Aumtlich's Quest by Hartleyhair

The Secret of the Slayer by VIPCOOL

Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold by Sergenth

EDIT: And of course, calamarain's Witherwood series even has voice acting in it. The first installment, Witherwood Castle, is probably the easiest of the three. The next two are a bit tougher.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 04-29-2009 12:43 AM]
04-29-2009 at 12:38 AM
zwetschenwasser
You hit the nail on the head... but I've already played all four of those... :lol

04-29-2009 at 12:42 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection Released (+2)  
Some really nice holds that ought to be doable by most people here:

Lendy’s Dungeon: (relatively easy, really nice hold. I gave it 6.5 brains)

Odd Jobs: (These should be played by everyone ;)

Nightmare Dungeon: (Doom’s first hold. A lot easier than Beethro’s Teacher, that’s for sure. I gave it 5 brains)

Ssslitherin: (with a serpent clock. I gave it 4 brains, but that might be a bit low.)

Simon’s Dungeon: (Another quite easy Doom hold. 6 brains)

The Grinfidel series: (Well… If you want a storie. I think these ought to be quite doable. “The domain of the Grinfidel”, “The hunt for the Grinfidel” and “The Final Confrontation”

Tunnel Vision: (A nice medium difficulty hold. 5.5 brains)

Entrapment: (Another nice, not so hard hold. I gave it 5 brains.)

04-29-2009 at 04:04 AM
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
:offtopic

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
04-29-2009 at 07:31 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Samuel wrote:
:offtopic
You have a point. But illumination's always go off topic. And considering that there isn't a confusing intermingle of topic's, I don't see a problem with it.
04-29-2009 at 01:55 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I have a problem with the apostrophes in your post.

04-29-2009 at 11:08 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Maybe Australians have some weird way of using them?

We use them the same way in Dutch.
04-29-2009 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Blondbeard wrote:
The Grinfidel series: (Well… If you want a storie. I think these ought to be quite doable. Labyrinthitis, “The domain of the Grinfidel”, “The hunt for the Grinfidel” and “The Final Confrontation”

Don't forget that one. (JtRH is probably better than the original). I tried to make some similar suggestions in my DROD for beginners thread, which you may want to read.

[Last edited by Jacob at 04-30-2009 12:07 AM]
04-30-2009 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
RoboBob3000 wrote:
mrimer wrote:

Okay! When you have a winner, just tell me who it is, and I'll make sure they get what they deserve.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-30-2009 at 12:20 AM
zwetschenwasser
Is that a plank of wood I see mrimer concealing behind his cloak?

04-30-2009 at 12:58 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jatopian wrote:
I have a problem with the apostrophes in your post.
sorry, but currently I'm not concerned with petty grammar. Typing the damn message is of greater importance. What with typing with one hand and all. (believe me, I tried two handed)
04-30-2009 at 07:42 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
NiroZ wrote:
Typing the damn message is of greater importance. What with typing with one hand and all. (believe me, I tried two handed)

okay so um

what thread have I failed to look at
04-30-2009 at 11:06 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Banjooie wrote:
what thread have I failed to look at
This one.
04-30-2009 at 11:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
It's okay, he's ju'st u'sing the Greengrocer's Apo'strophe.
05-01-2009 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Znirk wrote:
This one.
oh okay that is some sorely needed context.
05-01-2009 at 06:38 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection Released (Our News for April)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com