Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : So, what did you do today?
Page 1 of 6
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mouse
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 246
IP: Logged
icon So, what did you do today? (+4)  
I thought a thread where we could post about stuff going on in our lives would be a great way to revitalise the forum. So I made this one.

So today I cleaned up the junk still on my old laptop (bought in 2000, I think). I now realise how much of a clunker it really is. But I think it'll be fine as a semi-portable MP3 player.
I defragmented its hard drive after removing a lot of stuff - man, that took a while. Also have discovered that the battery may as well not be there - if I unplug the machine from the wall it turns off instantly. Oh well, at least it still runs.

Oh, and I played some DROD. ;)

So what did you do today?
03-06-2009 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: So, what did you do today? (+2)  
I likey this thread idea.

I met with a former math professor of mine, and we talked about math--mainly on the Fibonacci sequence and various methods of gleaning information from it (vector spaces, recursion, geometric series, etc), and some things that it can be used for. This is because I found a couple of proofs about the sequence--one of which I was unable to find online!

Fun fact--Take any number in the Fibonacci sequence. Multiply it by the sum of its neighbors. You will get the Fibonacci number in the position double the position of the number you chose.

Also--Add up every fourth Fibonacci number, starting with the second, and you will get the square of the (2n)th Fibonacci number, where n is the number you've added.

I also talked about some basic probability with a client, and started to feel sick, so am staying home, and probably will take a nap.

What did you do today?

03-06-2009 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: So, what did you do today? (+1)  
zex20913 wrote:
I also talked about some basic probability with a client, and started to feel sick, so am staying home, and probably will take a nap.
Whoa! Can talking about basic probability lead to one getting sick? :)

I got to inspect some foetal membranes today as preparation for testing their mechanical properties. They're surprisingly strong and stiff given how thin they are. But they are slippery.

What did you do today?

03-06-2009 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I spent the day preparing scripts, correcting grammar and spelling, all the while surrounded by ladies in pink and men in black. At the moment, I am behind a black drape about to be forced to listen to three and a half hours of "uplifting" and "inspiring" messages.

Happily, I also managed to find some time to enjoy the unusually warm weather we're having.

What did you do today?
03-06-2009 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Today I went to my classes in the morning and was a half hour late to my Sign Language class because I spent to long discussing Kafka's Metamorphosis in English class.

After class I made myself some nachos for lunch, got vaguely angry at a friend who canceled a get together we had last minute, then took a nap to recover all the hours of sleep I lost during the week.

What did you do today?
03-07-2009 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
I got to work 5 minutes late due to the bus being stuck behind a %&#*@! trash van for several minutes combined with the most asinine configuration of bus stops and traffic lights possible...

Then I had an hourlong weekly meeting followed by walking 15 minutes to my office.

The rest of work I spent with fixing some bugs in the SMTP proxy I've been working on for two days now because K2 Blackpoint's idea of sending HTML mails is dubious at best so I needed something to turn plain text emails with tag soup in it into HTML emails... well, that and testing if the workflows an external company made for us worked as advertised.

Then I went home, took a bath and wasted some time playing Titan Quest: Immortal Throne. (Plus assorted mail reading and web browsing interspersed through the day, of course...)

What did you do today?

np: Joy Division - Transmission (Substance)

[Last edited by Briareos at 03-07-2009 01:04 AM]
03-07-2009 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Well, today was the pits. I finally got over my cold, but I got maybe a grand total of 30 minutes of sleep last night. As a result, I slept all through 1st block (which I currently have free thanks to complications from Special Ed), and still didn't quite feel awake.

Most of my homework wasn't done because I didn't have my assignment pad with me the other day when it was assigned and couldn't keep track of it very well (not to mention I was too busy trying to fix these errors last night for community service). I also found that I have two incomplete labs still outstanding that I completely forgot about. My grade in AP Chem dropped from a 98 to a 67 just like that (well, the quarter did just start a few weeks ago).

Oh, well. It's friday, so I can't complain. Well, I can complain and I just did, but...

What did you do today?

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-07-2009 01:31 AM]
03-07-2009 at 01:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Well, I'm not paid to work on Fridays, but...

I forced myself to get up way too early in the morning (no heat in cottage, so hard to get out of bed when it's cold) and biked to work (traffic, what's that?). I gave a supplementary review lecture / problem solving session to a group of students who said they would like that. This lasted for a couple of hours until another class needed the classroom I was using.

Then I retreated to my office, where I've been playing DROD, working on my huge list of beta holds. Shhhh... don't tell the boss.

What did you do today?
03-07-2009 at 01:24 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
8 AM: Drag myself out of bed. This is about an hour after my alarm went off, and about an hour before when I finally got up the past two days. I miss grad school, where such behavior is expected, but at least I'm not out in the real world where it would get me fired quickly instead of slowly.

9:30 AM: Arrive in lab following a short drive to the perimeter lot and a long walk into lab (no bus today - for the first time since I started this job, the weather is neither wet nor ridiculously cold). This is too late for journal club, but earlier than the arrival of my new grad student, which is good because on the agenda for today are:

1. Stage 1 of the next major protein purification. Time required: ~30% of the day.
2. Confirm successful cloning (it's not as exciting to you as it sounds, but it's exciting to me because it looks like it might have worked right the first time, which never happens). Time required: ~30% of the day.
3. Walk new grad student through first true biochemical experiment. This would take me ~70% of the day to do it myself; since he's reasonably good, teaching only requires ~50% of the day.

Total time required: 110%; occasional minutes of downtime due to imperfectly interleaving protocols leave me time to quickly check up on my favorite web sites when I probably should be reading journal abstracts, and even time for a quick lunch, but 110% is still 110%.

5 PM: Student gets to end of partially successful experiment, and needs liquid nitrogen. We're out, so we tote the multi-liter storage flask to the basement to get more. Unfortunately, the prox card reader to get back upstairs isn't working, so we get to haul a somewhat fragile vacuum-insulated flask filled with very, very cold liquid out the loading dock, up the outside stairs (closed for the winter), and back into the building through the cafeteria.

8 PM: Last experiment is finished (until Saturday, anyway). Foreseeing this sort of day, a flask of Speyburn Highland scotch had accompanied me this morning, a small portion of which proves very helpful.

9 PM: Home. DROD. Beer. Watch, let's see, looks like "Midnight Meat Train" is the favored choice from the rotating Netflix supply. Collapse, to repeat Saturday and Sunday (but at least I have my liquid nitrogen now).

Yes, this is my sick idea of fun.

But what did you do today?

03-07-2009 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Today I got up at 2pm and hopped on the computer. :D

Yesterday, I learnt all about neuroscience. Whoever said that psychology isn't a hard science obviously hasn't done it. I also stayed up all night the night before last, so you could argue that I had a rather long day.
03-07-2009 at 03:38 AM
kie
Rank Points: 221
Woke up at 4 a.m. to crying baby. Fed baby.

Woke up again at 8 a.m. to crying baby. Fed baby.

Fed chickens, collected eggs.

Played DROD.

Hung washing on line.

In-laws came for lunch. Fed in-laws, nieces, children.

Watched TV while baby slept. Two and a half men, Rove and Extras.

Brought washing in.

Tried to feed baby pumpkin.

Washed pumpkin off baby and self.

Poured glass of wine.

That's what I did today.

What did you do today?

03-07-2009 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Re: So, what did you do today? (0)  
kie wrote:
Interesting, I didn't know Rove had crossed the water.
03-07-2009 at 06:42 AM
kie
NiroZ wrote:
kie wrote:
Interesting, I didn't know Rove had crossed the water.
Lucky it's the weekend or I would have had to confess to watching Home and Away.

03-07-2009 at 07:06 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Waved to some complete strangers.

Hugged some of the complete strangers.

Hugged a tree.

Hugged an umbrella.

High-fived some different complete strangers who had no idea what was going on.

Ran around in no apparent pattern.

Formed part of a human Tetris piece.

Played human Twister.

And took part in an epic battle with balloons as weapons.

(There was an MP3 experiment here today for the Fringe Festival. It was a lot of fun.)

What did you do today?
03-07-2009 at 10:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
kie wrote:
Tried to feed baby pumpkin.
When I first read this line, I thought you had become so habituated to feeding everything, you had attemped to feed a young vegetable. (Yeah, yeah. I know: biologically it's a fruit.)

...then I realized it couldn't be that: it's not pumpkin season yet.
03-07-2009 at 01:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kie
noma wrote:
...then I realized it couldn't be that: it's not pumpkin season yet.

Well, actually, it is on my side of the world!

03-07-2009 at 07:14 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Okay, so you're saying you did try to feed a vegetable/fruit/whatever?
03-07-2009 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I installed internet for a friend of mine, and I bought the Fallout 3 Collector's Edition for PS3. (It comes with an awesome Making Of Blu-Ray, art book, and Bobblehead)

The rest of the time I played Fallout 3, and also DROD a bit.
03-07-2009 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
Today I woke, and the first thing I did was play some World of Warcraft to wake my brain up. (Now that I have hit the levelcap and beaten all the current end game content I only log in once and I while when I'm sleepy. It's a great game to play when you don't have all your senses together. Not kidding.)

Then I called a friend to see if we were still meeting up today like we planned earlier but we weren't so I got a bit melancholy.

Next I took the dog on a nice long walk 'round the block with my sister.

Next my Dad came over to visit and we went out to a Mexican restaurant where I got fajitas. Then I went to Barnes and Noble to pick up my paycheck (not a very big one =( hours have been cut back due to economy in America and I got the short stuck due to my low rank on the seniority ladder but at least I have hours)

Debated going to see the Watchmen movie but neither my sister or father have read the book and I figured they should before they see it.

Then I read a very strange alternative history short story called Summer in Paris, Light from the Sky. Basically it involved Adolf Hitler, Ernie Hemmingway, and Chuck Chaplain planning a revolution in France to counteract the ill treatment of the Jews by the French government.

Then I went over to a different friends house, ate some fried chicken from a pizza place and here I am, about to go to bed having not played DROD at all today!

Now that I've told you about my day, tell me about yours?

What did you do?
03-08-2009 at 03:56 AM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
I relished my last day of freedom before 10 PM rehearsals start and don't stop until opening night on Friday.

EDIT: I enter the fire in 30 minutes.

[Last edited by Snacko at 03-09-2009 05:44 PM]
03-08-2009 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
Just spent my last day of freedom this weekend playing bridge. Not sure if I like it yet.
03-09-2009 at 09:46 AM
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
Today, I've been playing with the items we bought from the Circuit City bankruptcy sale.

We got a digital camcorder, a new centre speaker, a piece of software for playing with audio, and a PC game.

We hooked up the centre speaker last night to watch a DVD. Much nicer than our old speaker - this one's got a much mellower, rounder sound. Now, my job is to try and sell our old one which we bought second-hand a few months ago.

The camcorder is great. We picked up a Samsung SC-MX20C - it's really easy to use and fits nicely in your hand. I took a couple of videos of our water feature to test it out. The colours are great & the picture doesn't get too jerky until you move the camera around fairly quickly.

The practical software is neat too. So far I've only ripped some CDs to MP3 but it does that fairly fast and at pretty good quality so I'm pretty happy with it. I really bought the software so that I can help my dad out - he has a LOT of LPs and he wants to back them up electronically. Now that I've played with the basics of this I'll take my laptop to his place & start that job.... it's gonna take ages - I may just lend him my laptop for the duration.

I haven't played the game yet (Hellfire: London). I thought I'd post here about the other stuff first. Then I have the rest of the day to play. On second thoughts, I'd better set myself a time limit - last time I played a game by these guys (Diablo 2) I found it tough to quit.

So, what did you do today?
03-09-2009 at 05:05 PM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
7AM : Waked up.
8AM : Go to school
8-12AM : Had school.
12AM : Come home.
12.30AM : Pick up post.
1PM : Started being on computer
7PM : Send this message.

What did you do today?

PS : I suck in AM and in PM. Sorry
03-09-2009 at 06:00 PM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
5:30 AM
Woke up for school surprisingly refreshed after 2 hours of sleep.

7:20 AM
Arrived at school.

5:31 AM
Heard over the PA that the school accidentally set the clocks back an hour. Come on, Spring forward, Fall back...

5:32 AM - 8:40 AM
Today, Block 1 is free and block 2 is Homeroom/Advisory/Tutorial/Study Hall/What-have-ye. With the length of our blocks, that's 10% fun, 10% productivity, and 80% boredom.
My PDA game now recognizes player deaths.
My characters in Sonic Chronicles TBD reach an average level of 18.

8:50 AM
We have a sub in math, so our class falls into as much chaos as an 11-student AP class can. Which is a lot like the projecteuler forum.

9:18 - 9:40 AM
Today's lunch is a "Chicken Patty". The quotation marks were actually there on the dry erase board. No kidding. Well, they were in appropriate context, but, still...

11:00 AM
Despite many warnings, Chemistry is not a lab today! Rejoice! We begin an incredibly easy chapter we skipped on entropy.

12:25 PM
We are dismissed. At 12:40 the buses leave, and I arrive home to a clock that says:

3:01 PM
Read The Architest's post. Then read Nuntar's, and realized that I almost fooled myself into messing up 12:00 AM/PM when reading the Architest's post.
Was about to post saying that I myself found it stupid that AM and PM change an hour before the time "resets" back to 1:00.

3:14 PM
Realized that the reason we switch between AM and PM at 12:00 is because 12:00 is actually 0:00, even though we never write it that way.

4:24 PM
Finished typing all the rest of the stuff here.

IN TEH NAER FUTUR
Clicked "Send Reply"

What did you do today?

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-09-2009 08:34 PM]
03-09-2009 at 08:30 PM
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
Continued my pleasingly productive couple of days at work after interviewing an excellent candidate for a job yesterday morning, by getting through a task I thought was going to take me the best part of a couple of days in less than 4 hours. I love it when a plan comes together :) I'll probably end up spending the time I saved on an unexpected task which popped up in my inbox this afternoon, but still :)

Bought a Red Nose on my way home for tomorrow.

What did you do today?

03-12-2009 at 06:29 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Woke up 7am, reached out, grabbed the laptop...

Refactored a core webservice call for which I dreamt a better design (create a new workflow BaseActivity parent interface so we can fork an XmlAwareActivity without enforcing implementation of the existing generic non XmlAware ActivityProcess).

Took the laptop downstairs and made a tea... Re-engineered the data warehouse by 11am to accept multiple live Xml data stream updates from the same corporation without enforcing Quartz scheduling hacks.

For the next hour, I was busy extending Sun's internal UTF8Reader to deal with malformed unicode byte sequences.

That's when I decided to develop a webservice client to consume our webservice as I realised SoapUi (current ws testing tool) auto-converts the char set and is thus useless for testing non-utf8 chars. This took me ages as I use SSL and there's no loopholes in that area. Turns out self-signed JDK6 requires CN to be set to the host name and needs adding to the jre cacerts.

Anyways, that and dev on extra required reporting fields took me until 4pm at which point I had a shower and then lunch.

Booting back into MS, I finished off my MySQL to MSSQL db conversion script to deal with standard views and tested the results. At this point, the live server was throwing up errors as my live html scraper was failing due to web changes. Having released the new version, I decided it was time for some DROD time but was called to speak to a client preferring REST over Soap and started writing the tech design.

By this point it was 8:30pm so I went for a beer.

Got back at 10pm, had some pasta, and continued extending the UTF8Reader which I will keep doing until 2am. At that point, I will take my laptop back upstairs and dream of what I need to do tomorrow.

At which point I'll wake up, reach over and grab the laptop...
03-13-2009 at 12:04 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Today was Thursday--that means that I had a couple of classes to teach at a local college, so I did after waking up. (And traveling there, of course). We ended a bit early, and got in a review session for the midterm that the students are going to have in one of the classes next week.

Then during "office hours", a good friend of mine from St. Louis called me and told me that she was in the city for one day only, and wanted to meet for coffee. We got to catch up with each other for about an hour and a half, and then we split ways, as she had to change before going to the Metropolitan Opera.

I then went to my apartment and changed into more athletic gear so I could be equipped to play dodgeball in the early evening, followed by the traditional bar outing. Fun times--I had an epic battle, which is always fun.

Then I came home, and will shortly sleep. Tomorrow is Pi Day eve!

What did you do today?

[Last edited by zex20913 at 03-13-2009 03:10 AM]
03-13-2009 at 03:10 AM
NiroZ
woke up at 9, missed a meeting, spent the next two hours trying to say awake in my lecture, had an energy drink, managed to say awake for the next lecture (which is a damn good thing because it was neuroscience). Still didn't understand half of what was said.

Soon I'll be off to a skeptics meeting discussing foreign policy.

and that I'll be my day.
03-13-2009 at 04:54 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
This is an awesome thread!

Today, I first spent some time with the family. We played some games together and completed a jigsaw puzzle with the kids.

Then I took some time to work on DROD and Caravel stuff. I wrote to Schik about a task I completed in order to help get DROD RPG scoring on-line. Then discussed the current and future SmS issues a bit with HAs. Spent some time discussing F&M with the dev team. Answered support e-mails, checked up with people on the status of various things, and did some bookkeeping. I wrote Erik and asked him if he'd be interested in doing some contract work do draw up some new character portraits for future titles, because even though Trick does awesome pixel art, as all can attest, no one does DROD portraits just like Erik. Caught up on the forum for this week and got above water on my e-mail backlog. Prepared some CD packages to mail off to people. I thought a lot about what to include in our next game titles.

What did you do today?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-16-2009 at 05:16 AM
Ezlo
mrimer wrote:
no one does DROD portraits just like Erik.

This actually was the first thing I thought about when I heard Erik was departing the country, Erik's art style and voice are unique and IMHO are part of what make DROD special, going by without them would be a depressing prospect.

So, today hasn't been going on that long but I'll still tell you what I did. I kicked off my spring break by sleeping in an extra hour, god knows I needed some. But then I woke up and drove over to the college for rehersals for the spring production. All of use theatre geeks are too uncool to travel anywhere like the other college students so we had plenty of time to ourselves in the auditorium. Then I drove home and ate an early lunch.

What have you been doing today?
03-16-2009 at 04:23 PM
Page 1 of 6
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : So, what did you do today?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com