Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : El Dorado (Puzzles and unusual tasks)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.8/10 (15 votes)
σ 2.34
Author Name:BoyBlue
Submitted By:BoyBlue
Hold Name:El Dorado
Theme:Puzzles and unusual tasks
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:107
Number of Monsters:3109
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:10 (+10 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: El Dorado.hold (46.7 KB)
Downloaded 1178 times.
License: Other
icon El Dorado  
This is a medium-large hold filled with puzzles and other annoying things.
03-09-2009 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: El Dorado (+1)  
Here's BoyBlue's long-awaited third installment in the trilogy that began with Edge of the World and continued with Madness in the Spring. Hooray!

This full length hold contains clever linchpin puzzles as well as some hack-and-slash type rooms (each of which has a definite strategy). For many of the linchpin rooms, the player must question initial assumptions. I can't tell you how long I spent trying to outrun a fuse that couldn't be outrun, or trying to extract a snake from a corridor it couldn't come out of. As we'd expect in a BoyBlue hold, the player must also consider unique interactions between various game elements, including movement order.

Even though many of the puzzles in this hold are quite tricky, there are some not-so-tricky ones here too... you just have to find them. The levels are large, so the player has lots of interesting puzzles to choose from when starting out. So grab your sword - and your thinking cap - and give this one a try! :)

Oh, and the postmastery level is something else.
03-09-2009 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BoyBlue
Rank Points: 547
By the way, I wasn't trying to copy level names from calamarain's Symphony hold. Some of them are similar only because my hold contains references to a particular rock album that happens to be structured as a symphony.
03-09-2009 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
icon Re: El Dorado (0)  
Do you mean
Click here to view the secret text

03-09-2009 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
In my opinion this hold is a mixture of some of the best rooms you'll ever see, and some that are clever, but quite ordinary. For me the contrast is striking.

The hold is well worth to check out, especially if you are looking for something unique. There are some architects that always delivers things I've never seen before, no matter how many DROD rooms I've played before. BoyBlue is definitly one of them.
03-09-2009 at 06:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3405
I'm only ten or so rooms into this hold at the moment, but while the rooms range from brilliant to the occasional annoyance (as advertised), I have yet to see one that's merely ordinary. Thus far, the "clearly impossible" fegundo room and the eye maze, both on the second level, stand out as particularly neat. Yes, it's a hard hold, but the reward-to-effort ratio is pretty high due to the interesting puzzles. Presumably this will continue to hold true as I (slowly) progress through the hold.

That said, my first reaction was "Ow, my eyes!" Was the first level's color scheme really necessary? :P

03-09-2009 at 05:38 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
"Ordianry" was a badly choosen word on my part :) But in some rooms I imediatly saw what to do, and thought. "Oh, that will take time, and be a bit messy." Those were generally not my favorite rooms.
03-09-2009 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Oh, sorry. I totally hadn't noticed that you had said "ordinary" - that was meant as a critique of the hold rather than a critique of your post. :selftwak

03-09-2009 at 06:27 PM
Dischorran
And conquered, but not yet mastered. There's not much to add to my initial impressions; all rooms, beginning to end, are interesting. In most cases, that's good, especially when boyblue throws in a subtle twist to a room that throws it off on a wild tangent: Illusions 2N1E and 1S2W and Finale 3N1E and 3N stand out as having neat solutions, although the Finale level seems slightly less inspired than the others and leaned more towards work than fun at times. Apparent homages to holds as diverse as Dungeon of Broken Orbs and the war holds were also neat to see.

Very nice hold! But definitely hard. Very hard.

03-30-2009 at 09:25 AM
Dischorran
...and mastered. The secret rooms are a mixed bag; the ones with the rattlesnakes and with the row of roach queens were neat, but I didn't really "get" some of the others. Reaching the postmastery level is definitely worth the effort!

03-31-2009 at 06:25 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Thanks boyblue for another great hold!

All the rooms are interesting and amazingly enough although the rooms are challenging, I found them all doable. El Dorado is a good size hold with plenty-o-fun!
04-02-2009 at 01:36 PM
Dr. Murphy
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 46
This is for sure an extremely clever hold. There's nothing too complicated in here, just a whole bunch of incredibly simple yet incredibly well-thought-out puzzles.

The two rooms I have solved (the adder and fegundo) (rock golem on pressure plate with brain) were ingenious and were incredibly satisfying to complete!

Great hold, but a little on the hard side of my scale. I'll keep hacking at these puzzles.

9 fun
8 brains
08-18-2009 at 01:06 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4569
BoyBlue wrote:
By the way, I wasn't trying to copy level names from calamarain's Symphony hold. Some of them are similar only because my hold contains references to a particular rock album that happens to be structured as a symphony.
Since calamarain copied them from Repton 3, I don't think he has any right to object! :P

08-19-2009 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : El Dorado (Puzzles and unusual tasks) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com