Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Wolly Olly and the Adder (Adder puzzles.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.2/10 (9 votes)
σ 1.31
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Wolly Olly and the Adder
Theme:Adder puzzles.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:5
Number of Rooms:43
Number of Monsters:394
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:10 (+10 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Wolly Olly and the Adder.hold (21.5 KB)
Downloaded 1080 times.
License: Other
icon Wolly Olly and the Adder  
Twins Wolly and Olly are afraid of adders, but Beethro will be happy to help them.

Thanks to testers:
Blondbeard
CuriousShyRabbit
12-26-2008 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Wolly Olly and the Adder (+1)  
Hooray!!! A new hold from LarryMurk!

Those who enjoyed SSSlitherin will like this hold a lot. Player will need to know their snake movement rules and be facile with snake manipulation.

"Wolly and Olly" is a comedy in three parts that all center around adder manipulation. The first level contains mostly puzzles that have to do with snake length, which is adjustable in several ways for adders. My favorite there is 1N, which brings snake parity into the puzzle as well. The second level involves adder interactions with other monsters; you'll want to pay attention to what adders can and cannot eat. I enjoyed getting a rock giant into just the right spot in 2W, and finding just the right tarstuff shape in 2E. The third level has adders on platforms, and requires very precise planning of the adders' paths. This level was the most challenging for me, particularly 1E and 1N2W, which had me stumped for hours.

It's about time for another masterful snake hold, and this is it! Thank you for a wonderful Christmas present, Larry! :)
12-26-2008 at 03:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Post mastered.

And I have now fulfilled my big dream in DROD, to take or tie every first score in a Larry Murk hold :P I really have to make the most out of this before someone like TF comes around, or the beta testers start uploading their scores.

For me, this hold doesn't really keep quality of SSSlitherin Expert. Well, that is one of the few holds I've ever rated a perfect ten, and I still think this is a great hold. It's probably one of the easier Larrymurk holds but that definitely wasn't a bad thing. The hold does require some really good knowledge of the snake movement but that's not a bad thing either, it's what you get with a serpent based hold.

What I don't really like about this hold is the few quite tedious platform puzzles (especially the post mastery puzzles I just couldn't see the point of). The hold also has a slight lack of "new" puzzles, especially after clearing some of the rooms in the first level I just got the feeling that I had been through the same thing before...

Well, you should always end a hold review on the positive side.

The puzzles I liked best in the hold must have been the secrets, some of them really had me stumped. My favourites must be:

OtS: 3E, 4E, which seemed random at first, but then proved to have a really clear strategy.

U: 1W2S, which probably is the hardest room in the hold :yes

U: 3E, now that I had gotten a hang of the strategy this room was much more fun to figure out than the required one, and it turned out to be really fun to optimize too.

and IitS: 1N2W, thanks a lot for leaving this hold anyone edit Larry! I would never have figured this out if I hadn't first played through the secret room which made me realised that...
Click here to view the secret text

12-28-2008 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
I found one minor speech error in OtS: 1S1W. In the speech at the start of the room, Olly calls Wolly Olly. Just thought I'd point it out.

-Noah

My stuff:

12-29-2008 at 09:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Almost solved second level, and so far I love this hold. While I'd agree with Rheb that it's a little easier than most of larrymurk's hold, this is brilliant hold. In the first level my favourite rooms were 1N(which was quite easy for me after I've solved Artful Architecture: Tricolour Trial 1N 2W), 1N 1E and 1N 2W(after I understood the trick of the room ;) ). Others were cool but quite simple... :look

So far I'd give this a 10 fun and 8 brains, but I'll rate this hold after I conquer it...

EDIT: Conquered! Rating left. Exellent hold.

EDIT after a while: Postastered now, too. Some of secrets were awesome, some were quite trial-and-errorish IMO(Underground 2S 1E, I mean).
Postmastery rooms were quite interesting, but I liked secrets/required rooms more.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-24-2010 08:34 PM]
03-08-2009 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
lopsidation
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 176
I've almost beaten the first level, and so far this is one of the best holds I've ever played. The puzzles, while not quite TOTB-quality, are generally very nice lynchpins so far, and Olly and Wolly's conversations are more than charming. Here's a room-by-room review of what I've seen so far:

Congratulations to larrymurk on another excellent hold! My rating is 9 fun 7.5 brains so far, but I expect that will change if I ever get past the first level...

03-24-2009 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
thanks for the comments lopsidation wrote,

my responses..

Thanks for the comments:)
03-25-2009 at 06:02 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Wolly Olly and the Adder (Adder puzzles.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com