Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Paper Scissors Rock (Our Contest for February)
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1377
IP: Logged
icon Re: Paper Scissors Rock (0)  
Yeah, I still really don't have a clue how this is going to work, but..

Rock
02-24-2009 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3413
I'm all about the scissors. In fact, I'm probably just going to throw scissors each time and see what happens.

02-24-2009 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
Paper

02-24-2009 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
lopsidation
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 176
I agree with most people here, this contest doesn't seem very well thought out. If you just ran out of ideas/were in a rush, why not give us a standard architecture contest or something? I take all of this back, though, if you've planned something interesting inside the contest like an RPS puzzle hunt...
Also, how will ties play out?

[Last edited by lopsidation at 02-24-2009 11:09 PM]
02-24-2009 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lopsidation
I just thought of something: Every official contest is always stickied when it's announced, but this one isn't. Maybe this is a fake contest? Maybe Niroz has something planned after all? Either way, I'm going to enter and see what happens.

02-24-2009 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lopsidation
scissors

02-24-2009 at 11:09 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Hmm... I've had an idea for a variation on this contest. Here's a roughly-scraped-off-the-wall explanation of it; do you think it could work?

Everyone will start out with a number of points, say 7. Each turn, people are allowed to challenge one person to duel. If two people pick each other, they will fight in that round; all other contestants will be randomly paired up with each other.

If you win your round, you get the number of points your opponent has added to your total. If you lose, your points are halved and rounded up if a fraction. If both of you draw, both of you lose 1/4 of your points, and your score is rounded up if a fraction. The goal is not to come first; for example, the winner is the person with the second largest unique score, 2nd place goes to the person in the middle and 3rd place to the person with the second smallest unique score.

The strategy here is to pick the correct person to play to make sure you gain as many points as you can, but to aim yourself into a particular rank slot. For example, let's say that the current ranks are as follows:

#1: 20
#2: 18
#3: 14
#4: 10
#5: 10
#6: 4
#7: 2
#8: 1
#9: 1
#10: 1

Player 1 needs to prevent himself gaining too many points if possible, so would pick #9 or #10 to challenge. Similarly, #7-10 want as many points as possible, so picking someone with lots of points would be to their benefit. However, what about person #4? He/she has a fair number already, and could have a shot at the #2 spot. But what if this is the final round? He/she could pick #7 and if they win, end up with 12 points, which could preserve their #4 place if #5 loses. If he/she loses, he/she ends up with 5 points, but this may still be enough for 6th place (and thus, the middle) if no-one else below moves up.

If two people or more end up tied with a winning score, then a tie-breaker round will decide who wins.

I can see a possible strategy for gaming the system if some players agree to sacrifice themselves for others, but I don't think that is likely to happen if everyone plays with the intent to win a prize.

Oh, and in case my suggestion got lost on the previous page, why not make the contest more DROD themed, and name it "Golem, Sword, Oremite"?

02-24-2009 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: Paper Scissors Rock (+3)  
Some of you think that NiroZ has not explained enough or thought this out enough. Some even think he should have chosen a different contest idea, but the turn out is the highest I have seen in a very long time. So, I say get behind him and give him your support. :thumbsup

He has a plan but maybe like the game itself he is just trying to throw you off balance....it's working...hahaha.

:lol

02-25-2009 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Paper Scissors Rock (+1)  
Ok, I'm making some updates to better fit.
agaricus5 wrote:
I'm in. Where's my rock golem? He'll crush all of your puny anything!

Actually, why don't we make this more interesting and play an inverted, DROD-themed version of this game?- Golem, Sword, Oremite.

The sword is mightier than the golem, but oremites can eat swords, and golems can simply tread over oremites.
I did consider it, but I felt it would be better off sticking with what everybody knows and is comfortable with.

Oh, and while your suggestion for an alternative contest is interesting, it does seem a little too complex.

Jutt
As I've said previously, what you post here does in no way force you to post anything in the submission topic.

I've decided against having a challenge system, and instead I will have everyone verses everyone per round. And I'll have 5 rounds. (I'll post the list of names and you just copy past that plus you choice of weapon). And I will extend it to two days. I think I'll go with a point system. 2 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss.

Don't be apologetic, you had some good points.

I have considered trying to reduce the chance of a draw and randomness by having 3 battles with each person per round, but I think there are at least 10 players already, which means 30 battles, which I'd imagine would get tiring.

I'll extend the signup period by another day so that people who might have held back by the uncertainties of the post can have time to join, and there will be more time to thrash out the details then.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 02-25-2009 12:45 AM]
02-25-2009 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Rank Points: 200
Scissors

Don't ignore your mom... ;)

02-25-2009 at 12:56 AM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
NiroZ wrote:
I've decided against having a challenge system, and instead I will have everyone verses everyone per round.
But then wouldn't everybody who uses the same sign get the same score?

Edit: Whoops, I was thinking that people would be eliminated each round. But it makes more sense that there would be an accumulative score over the 5 rounds, and I assume that by the end there will be rather few ties.

So never mind.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-25-2009 02:46 AM]
02-25-2009 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Did anybody actually take a look at the Niro's link?

And in case my Stone Sheet Clippers reference didn't count...

02-25-2009 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Paper!

02-25-2009 at 05:51 AM
NiroZ
I've updated the front page to have a list of people who have entered.
:huh
02-25-2009 at 06:51 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Paper!

02-25-2009 at 07:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1547
rock
02-25-2009 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
kie
Rank Points: 221
scissors

02-25-2009 at 09:47 AM
techant
NiroZ wrote:
I've updated the front page to have a list of people who have entered.
:huh

I think it means don't run with scissors.

02-25-2009 at 10:01 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
While paper scissors rock, they don't cut things very well. I generally prefer metal scissors.

Rock.

Rock on.

02-25-2009 at 01:51 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
zex20913 wrote:
Rock on.
No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. What you really mean is:

Rock on,

02-25-2009 at 02:16 PM
zwetschenwasser
Rank Points: 200
Techant wins the special ugerspiegel award! :)

02-25-2009 at 05:09 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3413
zwetschenwasser wrote:
Oh, believe me, I certainly haven't ignored your mom. OH SNAP! :glasses

02-25-2009 at 05:27 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1236
I'm in! Rock on!
02-27-2009 at 11:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
13 Minutes left to join... oh well, let's give it a try.

Rock

02-27-2009 at 11:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Rank Points: 255
I join too!

Used WC-PAPER!
02-27-2009 at 12:22 PM
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
we are in negative time!

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
02-28-2009 at 05:45 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Quick, everyone! Invert your color schemes!

02-28-2009 at 06:05 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Let me say that I think this is going to be a great contest. Already I've been ruminating my strategy, going down the list, trying to discern what I think each of you will throw first... what all of you think I'm throwing first. It's been fun but I'm not too confident in my prediction skills. So I decided I needed an edge. I hope you don't mind but I took all your names and, using numerology, cast everyone's horoscopes for the next few days in an attempt to determine whether you'll be in a rock, paper or scissors kind of mood. Well, it turns out that all I can conclusively predict is that one of you will meet someone from your past very soon, another will find money in an unexpected place, and someone else (I won't say who) recently had a birthday (happy birthday by the way!)

So instead I'm just writing "Scissors" next to everyone's name.

[Last edited by noma at 02-28-2009 02:34 PM]
02-28-2009 at 02:33 PM
NiroZ
Ok, the selection is locked in.

I've decided to tally up the scores collaboratively.

You can see the scores here http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pYKDyQ6E7eTlBklFU-eF4bQ. This is a huge task to tally them up, so I've made the spreadsheet anyone edit, feel free to help out.

This does mean it is possible to fiddle with the results, but bear in mind that there's a log of all changes made, so it's pretty easy for me to find someone fiddling with the results, and correct it.
03-03-2009 at 08:49 AM
techant
NiroZ wrote:
Ok, the selection is locked in.

I've decided to tally up the scores collaboratively.

You can see the scores here http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pYKDyQ6E7eTlBklFU-eF4bQ. This is a huge task to tally them up, so I've made the spreadsheet anyone edit, feel free to help out.

This does mean it is possible to fiddle with the results, but bear in mind that there's a log of all changes made, so it's pretty easy for me to find someone fiddling with the results, and correct it.

OK I looked at the spreadsheet and I do not understand .where the scores go. :?
If I understand this right then techant vs noma techant=sissors, noma=paper, techant wins 2 pts, but where does the 2 pts go?

EDIT: Just noticed you are currently working on it so maybe I will wait and see what you do.

[Last edited by techant at 03-03-2009 09:04 AM]
03-03-2009 at 09:02 AM
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Paper Scissors Rock (Our Contest for February)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com