Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Paper Scissors Rock (Our Contest for February)
Page 1 of 6
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Paper Scissors Rock (+3)  
For those of you who haven't heard of it, or more likely, know it under a different name, Paper Scissors Rock is a game that is supposed to be used for random selection of things. Paper wins over rock, rock beats scissors and scissors beats paper.

So why am I suggesting we play a supposedly random game? Because that's not quite true.

So how will this work? Simple. To join, just post paper, scissors or rock as the single word in your post. Then, when the signup period has ended, I'll post a list of people who have entered the competition. You will fight then all. After each round, which will be 48 hours long, I will announce the winners and what each person chose. Points will be awarded 2 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss.

You are allowed to say whatever you want in this thread, you may announce exactly why you are going to go rock, you may give a list of what exactly you will choose for the next 5 games, you might make predictions about what other people are going to do. Do whatever you want to mess with other peoples heads.

You have negative 790 weeks, 6 days to join.

Prizes are the usual
100 rank points (not to be confused with mod points) and a pick from the prize pile for winning
50 rank points for coming second
25 for coming third.

Current list of entrants.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 02-28-2009 06:56 AM]
02-24-2009 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Paper Scissors Rock (0)  
Gerignak!*

I will play scissors. At least once. Possibly on my first throw. Promise.

*Galaxy Quest anyone?
02-24-2009 at 04:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
So if I pick Rock and then choose noma in the submission topic I win? :unsure

[Last edited by TripleM at 02-24-2009 04:40 AM]
02-24-2009 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Sheet!

MOTHER 3 reference. And unclosed tags ftw.

02-24-2009 at 04:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
TripleM wrote:
I'm not really sure how the choosing's going to work. If you pick me, but I pick Kwakstur, how does that sort out?

Aside from that:
1. I may be lying
2. All I promised was that I will play scissors at least once and it might possibly happen on the first throw. I will keep that promise. (Unless #1 is true.)
02-24-2009 at 05:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Paper is my friend, but scissors can rock my world too. :P

02-24-2009 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
NiroZ wrote:
To join, just post paper, scissors or rock as the single word in your post. Then, you will all decided who you want to fight, then post your choice in a submission topic I will make.

I read this as post rock,paper or scissors in this thread, and who we want to challenge in a submission thread. Can you clarify?
02-24-2009 at 05:58 AM
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
Rock.

02-24-2009 at 06:36 AM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
The following is just my interpretation. This is how I read it because any other interpretation seems broken. I know, NiroZ's instructions are very unclear.

To join, we make a one-word post here with either the word Rock, Paper, or Scissors. What we post here is a completely arbitrary choice and will have no effect on the game whatsoever, it is just some fun pointless rule he made for signing up.

We can also tell our strategies, or lie about them, or make people think we're lying... whatever mind games you feel like doing to help your game in this thread.

In a thread with unviewable replies is where we will submit our challenges and our actual plays.

That's how I interpreted it. I'm not sure about conflicts of the "I chose him but he chose another guy" sort.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-24-2009 06:47 AM]
02-24-2009 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
Rock!

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
02-24-2009 at 06:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
TripleM wrote:

Well, i'm asking me the same thing.

NiroZ?

02-24-2009 at 06:57 AM
techant
I got the same idea as neather but I didn't think it mattered that you only say one word. But, just in case see next post.

[Last edited by techant at 02-24-2009 07:41 AM]
02-24-2009 at 07:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
rock

02-24-2009 at 07:42 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Yeah, what you post here doesn't mean you have to play that. Kwakstur, stop reading my mind :P.

You challenge someone, and they agree to play against you.
02-24-2009 at 09:25 AM
Neather2
Ok. Thanks for information.

02-24-2009 at 09:39 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Paper Scissors Rock (+1)  
I'm in. Where's my rock golem? He'll crush all of your puny anything!

Actually, why don't we make this more interesting and play an inverted, DROD-themed version of this game?- Golem, Sword, Oremite.

The sword is mightier than the golem, but oremites can eat swords, and golems can simply tread over oremites.

02-24-2009 at 11:05 AM
Neather2
Maybe is better hot tiles then oremites, because in the classic game the paper doesn't win agaisnt scissors (oremites vs sword in DROD version).

EDIT: Or maybe trapdoor?

[Last edited by Neather2 at 02-24-2009 11:33 AM]
02-24-2009 at 11:19 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Neather2 wrote:
Maybe is better hot tiles then oremites, because in the classic game the paper doesn't win agaisnt scissors (oremites vs sword in DROD version).

EDIT: Or maybe trapdoor?

But that is the intention:

Actually, why don't we make this more interesting and play an inverted, DROD-themed version of this game?- Golem, Sword, Oremite

And plus, this is DROD we're talking about. It doesn't have to be the same as the original. :)

02-24-2009 at 12:14 PM
Neather2
Oh yeah, sorry. :P

02-24-2009 at 12:18 PM
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
Lizard.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
02-24-2009 at 12:25 PM
DanielFishman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
Scissors
02-24-2009 at 01:44 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Rock
02-24-2009 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
I cannot shake the feeling that the exact game mechanics have not been thought out well enough. Here is what I understand about the game scenario.

First you post an arbitrary claim in this thread, which not only is your subscription to this game, but also what you claim your move for the first round is going to be. I assume this procedure repeats for all following rounds, except that the claim will no longer be a subscription.

Then when everyone has revealed their claims, players may challenge someone else to play. Does everyone have to challenge someone else or are challenges made until all contenders are paired? If the former, does that mean some people are playing more than one game of RPS per round? If the latter, does that mean the number of players has to be even? Can challenges be declined?
Then after the actual moves have been posted and evaluated, who goes to the next round? everyone who wins? what about people who draw? Wouldn't a scoring system over multiple rounds be a bit more fair?

Also, aren't 24 hours per round a bit short if people have to make claims first, then challenge each other, also have to accept challenges and finally post their real moves? Taking time zone differences into account, that may be a very tight if not impossible schedule. People may not be able to respond in time, what happens to them?

Lastly, without more than one round of RPS against the same player (amongst other differences), some of the tactics as described in the page NiroZ linked don't seem to apply anymore. How can we be sure we are not simply playing a truly/nearly random game?

Sorry if I'm sounding overly skeptic and asking a lot of nitpicky questions; it's just that I don't fully see the point in playing the game according to its current description.

02-24-2009 at 02:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
Paper
02-24-2009 at 03:27 PM
noma
To all concerned about mechanics and game play: hang on. NiroZ is Down Under, so it may be a few hours, but I think he'll be providing some clarification and further details soon.
02-24-2009 at 03:56 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
paper - but I agree with with previous comments - NiroZ has some more thinking to do - or revealing of his thoughts - I am using too many '-' signs -

- Jason

02-24-2009 at 04:28 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1067
Scissors

02-24-2009 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Duh, rock.

Is this an elimination tournament? If so, what do we do with ties?

Do we score points for our victories? If so, I'd propose two points for a win, one point for a tie, and zero points for a loss.

Also, if we get to choose our opponents, three players can easily work together to sweep the top three prizes.

02-24-2009 at 05:31 PM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Rock! :)

02-24-2009 at 06:18 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Ok, uh, Scissors!
02-24-2009 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 6
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Paper Scissors Rock (Our Contest for February)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com